Striper Talk Striped Bass Fishing, Surfcasting, Boating

Left Nav S-B Home Register FAQ Members List S-B on Facebook Arcade WEAX Tides Buoys Calendar Today's Posts Right Nav

Left Container Right Container

Go Back   Striper Talk Striped Bass Fishing, Surfcasting, Boating » Striper Chat - Discuss stuff other than fishing ~ The Scuppers and Political talk » The Scuppers

The Scuppers This is a new forum for the not necessarily fishing related topics...

Old 01-30-2009, 07:17 AM   #1
piemma
Very Grumpy bay man

Job market

Well I have to admit that I got the &%$# shocked out of me. The company I work for, a technology company, just wacked 30% of our work force and gave the rest of us a 20% pay cut and took all healthcare benefits away.

They stated that we all have to "tighen our belts". My problem is that as a sales guy I exceeded my quota last year. Brought in $1.4M in new business. The company as a whole doubled their revenue figures for 2008. I wonder where all the money went?????

I got a sneaking idea that some of the executive management team all got big bonuses and us grunts are just getting the shaft for our hard work.

No boat, back in the suds.
piemma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2009, 09:23 AM   #2
Saltheart

I know it doesn't help but your not alone. Don't try to figure out why in terms of performance of you or the company. the economy is now an excuse for all the employers to be predetory. History shows that in time it will turn around and when they need you , remember how ruthless they were and pay it back in spades.

Saltheart
Custom Crafted Rods by Saltheart
Saltheart is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2009, 09:25 AM   #3
piemma
Very Grumpy bay man

Thanks, man. I needed a pick me up

Old 01-30-2009, 11:07 AM   #4
BigFish
BigFish Bait Co.

Send a message via AIM to BigFish
Jeez Piemma, they can take your healthcare away like that??? They suck! Good luck with all that!

Almost time to get our fish on!!!
BigFish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2009, 11:12 AM   #5
RIROCKHOUND
Also known as OAK

Quote:
Originally Posted by piemma View Post
Thanks, man. I needed a pick me up
I thought you were looking for a new gig anyways.

Bryan

Originally Posted by #^&#^&#^&#^&#^&#^&#^&#^&#^&#^&#^&
"For once I agree with Spence. UGH. I just hope I don't get the urge to go start buying armani suits to wear in my shop"
RIROCKHOUND is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2009, 11:32 AM   #6
BigBo

I may be looking soon myself. Problem is....where?
Things will get better eventually I guess. Unfortunately, I think they're going to get worse before that happens though. I wouldn't mind as much if I were younger. Gonna be a bumpy ride me thinks.
Good luck Paul.

The future ain't what it used to be. --Yogi Berra
BigBo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2009, 11:35 AM   #7
Uncle Matt

Together we can.... That's bull sh!t.

"Love is like a snowmobile racing across the tundra then suddenly it flips over, pinning you underneath. At night, the ice weasels come."
Matt Groening, Life In Hell
Uncle Matt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2009, 11:48 AM   #8
Crafty Angler
Geezer Gone Wild

Good luck, Paul - the only thing you can do is just duck and cover until this crap passes over us...

"There is no royal road to this heavy surf-fishing. With all the appliances for comfort experience can suggest, there is a certain amount of hard work to be done and exposure to be bourne as a part of the price of success." From "Striped Bass," Scribner's Magazine, 1881.
Crafty Angler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2009, 12:24 PM   #9
piemma
Very Grumpy bay man

Quote:
Originally Posted by RIROCKHOUND View Post
I thought you were looking for a new gig anyways.
I am but didn't expect to take a 20% hit on my base while I looked. I am more pissed about them doing this to my tech support guy. He has 6 kids!

Old 01-30-2009, 12:48 PM   #10
Back Beach
Respect your elvers

Sorry to hear it Paul. Many are even worse off as you stated.

Things(bad) are happening so quickly right now its blindsiding many people. I just finished reading(three times) a great book entitled "The four hour workweek" by Tim Ferriss. Although the book is about minimizing your presence on the job while maximizing your income, the author suggests you constantly ask yourself..... If I were to become unemployed tomorrow, do I have a survival plan?
I'm not suggesting you'll be unemployed, but many people are finding themselves in unfortunate situations with regard to employment and never really gave their financial survival much though until they received termination notice.

Keep your chin up, you've fought much tougher battles than this and won.

It's not the bait
At the end of your line
It's the fishing hole
Where all the fish is blind
Back Beach is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2009, 12:55 PM   #11
fish4striper

sorry Paul seems to be the way of the times,

They told us no raises for this year and doing a bunch of other cost cutting in lieu of no massive layoffs. Guess I'm lucky I have a job.

I guess you need to be on wall street or a politician to make out these days. The rich get richer, us workin stiffs get poorer.

Quote:
Well I have to admit that I got the &%$# shocked out of me. The company I work for, a technology company, just wacked 30% of our work force and gave the rest of us a 20% pay cut and took all healthcare benefits away.

They stated that we all have to "tighen our belts". My problem is that as a sales guy I exceeded my quota last year. Brought in $1.4M in new business. The company as a whole doubled their revenue figures for 2008. I wonder where all the money went?????

I got a sneaking idea that some of the executive management team all got big bonuses and us grunts are just getting the shaft for our hard work.
fish4striper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2009, 02:22 PM   #12
RIJIMMY
sick of bluefish

Hang in there Paul, round 2 of layoffs are due here next week.
This sucks all around and I still dont see an end in sight. I'd feel a little better if I was putting a hook in the back of a fat bunker and let it swim.

making s-b.com a kinder, gentler place for all
RIJIMMY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2009, 02:49 PM   #13
Clammer

Paul ;;

how long are they gonna carry the medical .. they must have given you some time ;
At least now in RI ..you can get individual BC & BS .. its not cheap & they take guys like you & me ;;;

BOL BUD ><><

ENJOY WHAT YOU HAVE !!!

MIKE
Clammer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2009, 03:19 PM   #14
Joe

Sorry Paul.

Joe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2009, 03:22 PM   #15
RIROCKHOUND
Also known as OAK

Quote:
I am but didn't expect to take a 20% hit on my base while I looked. I am more pissed about them doing this to my tech support guy. He has 6 kids!
I know. Just saying

Sucks.
It's the same thing in the state, when they claim the ave state worker makes $X, so whats 20% or paying a huge chunk of your health care? It's a lot for someone like a department secretary making 30G.

good luck.

Bryan

"For once I agree with Spence. UGH. I just hope I don't get the urge to go start buying armani suits to wear in my shop"
Old 01-30-2009, 03:53 PM   #16
piemma
Very Grumpy bay man

I didn't mean for this to come across as weining. I have health coverage. The company was reimbursing me for my coverage but not my wife.
The whole thing just pisses me off because they obviously made a boat load of profit. The Company went from revenue of $4.6M in 07 to $9.5M in 08 with essentially the same number of employees (i.e. the same overhead.) So they grossed $5M more in 08 yet wack 30% of the staff and cut everyone's salary and health coverage.
It smacks of what's happening on Wall Street.

Personally, I am more pissed about the ethics of what they did than anything else. I'm going to be 62 in October and I should probably retire then and fish full time.

Old 01-30-2009, 04:06 PM   #17
Raven

Arrow

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigBo View Post
I may be looking soon myself. Problem is....where?

Look to The Bio tech sector... why? Because the restrictions on
stem cell research have just been lifted...

the companies participating in stem cell research are on the fast track. People have recently said about Obama ...your ending Gitmo and killing babies... not true, as embryonic fluid was also found to have stem cells in it... I know it means huge changes but taking away health care is totally unacceptable.

Paul, sorry to hear of your situation. But it sounds like to me
your past performance would look excellent on your resume.
Raven is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2009, 04:49 PM   #18
rwilhelm

Sorry to hear that. I could see if your company was hurting but it sounds like your company had a great year despite the economy. Unless future sales look very grim?
rwilhelm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2009, 05:06 PM   #19
RIROCKHOUND
Also known as OAK

Quote:
Personally, I am more pissed about the ethics of what they did than anything else. I'm going to be 62 in October and I should probably retire then and fish full time.
When you get a new gig, send them a farewell gift...
Mail them a frozen eel.
and make sure you mail it parcel post so it takes a while to get there..

Bryan

Old 01-30-2009, 06:28 PM   #20
Jenn

Join the club. Over the summer (our BUSY time we got a mandatory cut across the board to 32 hours....that 20% down from 40...see a trend?) It was supposed to be for a month but lasted over three months. Well here we are again in our SLOW period cut again to 32 hours. This on top of no XMAS bonus or raise which I have gotten yearly for the past 6 years. Its just one hit after another......

Simplify.......
Jenn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2009, 06:31 PM   #21
Jenn

oh and I forgot to mention that our largest client (the major backbone of our business) reportedly layed off 40% of its people!

Simplify.......
Jenn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2009, 06:35 PM   #22
Raider Ronnie

Send a message via AIM to Raider Ronnie
Sucks reading stories like this every day !
And to think Jason Veritec is offended playing for $5 mill this season !

LETS GO BRANDON
Raider Ronnie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2009, 06:42 PM   #23
gf2020

Quote:
Originally Posted by RIJIMMY View Post
Hang in there Paul, round 2 of layoffs are due here next week.

Is that Fidelity? Their second round is supposed to be next week.
gf2020 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2009, 07:30 PM   #24
5/0
Eels

Quote:
I didn't mean for this to come across as weining. I have health coverage. The company was reimbursing me for my coverage but not my wife.
The whole thing just pisses me off because they obviously made a boat load of profit. The Company went from revenue of $4.6M in 07 to $9.5M in 08 with essentially the same number of employees (i.e. the same overhead.) So they grossed $5M more in 08 yet wack 30% of the staff and cut everyone's salary and health coverage.
It smacks of what's happening on Wall Street.

Im sorry to hear about the going on's at your work,the health care is the real kicker,it sucks.
In time's such as these alot of companies such as yours who made a large profit can just jump on the economy wagon and say hey times are tough sorry.

Paul Im sorry for you & yours to go through this but it could be worse.

I got a 33% pay cut and was told I must work a 40hr. work week
So I know how your feeling.

5/0

Live bait sharp hooks and timing is all you need
5/0 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2009, 10:36 PM   #25
Saltheart

medical coverage seems to be the thing that is holding many people hostage to losy jobs and or employers. What sort fo coverage is available for people who lose coverage because of a layoff or a company discontinuing coverage?

Maybe we should start a new forum where peole can discuss , contribute, find info on such things as unemployent , health coverage , etc. It sure is a timely topic!

Saltheart
Custom Crafted Rods by Saltheart
Saltheart is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2009, 07:09 AM   #26
piemma
Very Grumpy bay man

Thanks for the feedback. Sad to see that I am not alone. Let's just hope our new President turns this boat around.

Old 01-31-2009, 08:15 AM   #27
HESH2

in my old and slow years now i can't remember worse times than present time.so many law offs of several thousands,banks and wall street tanks.all major mfg jobs overseas.i feel for all of you,i guess you just gotta bite the bullet and be thankfull you still are working and got something cause there nothing else out there.i personally got a couple family menbers hanging by there finger nails with a really bad auto co in the motor city.good luck everone,hang in there.
HESH2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2009, 08:36 AM   #28
Tagger
Hydro Orientated Lures

We'll just have to ride this out ,we have no choice .. I could really stew over this situation . Last time I did that, I got a bald spot on my head . Sux your company had a banner year and still bent everyone over. What can we do but, hold on and regroup . Next time the economy spikes I'll be leaving the major work force (old) before Wall Street wrings it out again . Bastages... good luck and hang in there . One thing I've learned in the past .. A recession is not a good time to take up heavy drinking ..
Tagger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2009, 09:26 AM   #29
RIROCKHOUND
Also known as OAK

Quote:
Originally Posted by HESH2 View Post
in my old and slow years now i can't remember worse times than present time.so many law offs of several thousands,banks and wall street tanks.all major mfg jobs overseas.i feel for all of you,i guess you just gotta bite the bullet and be thankfull you still are working and got something cause there nothing else out there.i personally got a couple family menbers hanging by there finger nails with a really bad auto co in the motor city.good luck everone,hang in there.
You know, I worked with an older gentleman around 9/11 (he was mid-70's then) and he said 'Kid, I've seen the best of times, and this ain't it'...

I believe him...

Bryan

Old 01-31-2009, 12:10 PM   #30
piemma
Very Grumpy bay man

I feel bad for the younger folks. I'm past the worrying stage in my life. My wife is retired with an income. My kids are grown and my house is payed for. We don't have an extravagant lifestyle and other than fishing I just work a lot. The kids with little ones are the ones I worry about including my kids and grandkids. This isn't going to turn around quickly.