Striper Talk Striped Bass Fishing, Surfcasting, Boating

Left Nav S-B Home Register FAQ Members List S-B on Facebook Arcade WEAX Tides Buoys Calendar Today's Posts Right Nav

Left Container Right Container

Go Back   Striper Talk Striped Bass Fishing, Surfcasting, Boating » Striper Chat - Discuss stuff other than fishing ~ The Scuppers and Political talk » Political Threads

Political Threads This section is for Political Threads - Enter at your own risk. If you say you don't want to see what someone posts - don't read it :hihi:

Old 02-09-2009, 06:51 PM   #1
Uncle Matt

Proposed new gas tax

I just saw that our fine Gov. Patrick is thinking about proposing a new .27/gallon gas tax on fuel sold in the commonwealth. According to the news that would make our gas prices the highest in the nation. I wasn't really listening because I kind of wished the devil would die a cruel and painful death. But is that on top of what we already pay?

Let's raise the flag on this one -

"Love is like a snowmobile racing across the tundra then suddenly it flips over, pinning you underneath. At night, the ice weasels come."
Matt Groening, Life In Hell
Old 02-09-2009, 07:01 PM   #2
striperman36
Old Guy

Yes, Weld raised last time.
Rumor is CaddilacDeval is on the short list for HHS.
Let's hope he accepts.
Old 02-09-2009, 07:40 PM   #3
Raven

he's all talk and no action
Old 02-09-2009, 07:53 PM   #4
striperman36
Old Guy

they are also proposing a pay as you drive tax tied to a chip in your inspection sticker. That means big brother will be watching!!
And if you park by your UDL's for big mama's somebody could hack into find your spots!!!

I see you were at Pole 316 last night, nice fish btw, must what 50 lbs.
Old 02-09-2009, 08:16 PM   #5
Mike P
Jiggin' Leper Lawyer

Quote:
Originally Posted by striperman36 View Post
Yes, Weld raised last time.
Rumor is CaddilacDeval is on the short list for HHS.
Let's hope he accepts.
You really think that Tim Murray is going to be any better?

Whether he takes it or not--if he approves these two measures, he has one term wonder written all over him.

But hey--it's for the children, after all

"Together we can"---drown

Wise men speak because they have something to say; Fools, because they have to say something.
Old 02-09-2009, 08:19 PM   #6
striperman36
Old Guy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike P View Post
You really think that Tim Murray is going to be any better?

Whether he takes it or not--if he approves these two measures, he has one term wonder written all over him.
I didn't think there is any difference between any of them.
He'll probably apply to get his pension too when he leaves and hang out at the SweetPea Rancho.
He can already write the place off now that he hosted all the state flaks out there.
Old 02-09-2009, 08:25 PM   #7
Slipknot
Super Moderator

If that chip thing ever makes it, which it won't, there would be another Boston Tea Party. Maybe it's time anyway
Old 02-09-2009, 08:31 PM   #8
leo33

funny their was no talk of a gas tax before the income tax vote.
Old 02-09-2009, 08:32 PM   #9
striperman36
Old Guy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Slipknot View Post
If that chip thing ever makes it, which it won't, there would be another Boston Tea Party. Maybe it's time anyway
they'll know you were there. unless you took mass transit
Old 02-09-2009, 10:24 PM   #10
BigFish
BigFish Bait Co.

Send a message via AIM to BigFish
These politicians need to start thinking on the common mans level for a change......you know....the folks that vote them in!!!!? Unemployment at a 40 year high and going higher......people that do have jobs are suffering cuts in pay, cutbacks in hours, and their employers are making them kick in a few more bucks for their health insurance!!!! Gas is expected to go up again, food costs are through the roof and folks are bending over backwards to make ends meet and these friggin arse holes want to tax us six ways till Sunday to make up for lost revenue!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Boston Tea Party???? How about just an old fashioned neck tie party for these stupid sons o' bitches!!!

Almost time to get our fish on!!!
Old 02-09-2009, 10:28 PM   #11
striperman36
Old Guy

to quote
Transportation Secretary James Aloisi. "A user-fee based system, collected electronically, is a fair way to pay for our transportation needs in the future."The draft says the "average user will pay about an additional $120 per year, less than the cost of two small Dunkin' Donuts coffees per week." Last month, Aloisi downplayed a new $6 annual Turnpike Fast Lane transponder fee as less than the cost of his turkey sandwich that day.

So you don't have to complain about DD anymore!!
Old 02-09-2009, 10:36 PM   #12
Motor Fish

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigFish View Post
...people that do have jobs are suffering cuts in pay, cutbacks in hours, and their employers are making them kick in a few more bucks for their health insurance!!!!
Unless you work for the state, of course...

That job transfer to North Carolina isn't looking to bad anymore.

My goal in life is to be the kind of man my dog thinks I am.
Old 02-09-2009, 10:41 PM   #13
Mike P
Jiggin' Leper Lawyer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Slipknot View Post

I wonder if they'll implant the chip in an R sticker?

Wise men speak because they have something to say; Fools, because they have to say something.
Old 02-09-2009, 10:43 PM   #14
Mike P
Jiggin' Leper Lawyer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Motor Fish View Post
Unless you work for the state, of course...
Guess again.

Old 02-10-2009, 05:06 AM   #15
Raven

i'm ready to start throwing tea..... over board !!!

did ya see on the news where the people dumped couches
on the lawn of the banker that made 400 million bucks
to send him a clear message
Old 02-10-2009, 06:56 AM   #16
buckman

Quote:
These politicians need to start thinking on the common mans level for a change......you know....the folks that vote them in!!!!? Unemployment at a 40 year high and going higher......people that do have jobs are suffering cuts in pay, cutbacks in hours, and their employers are making them kick in a few more bucks for their health insurance!!!! Gas is expected to go up again, food costs are through the roof and folks are bending over backwards to make ends meet and these friggin arse holes want to tax us six ways till Sunday to make up for lost revenue!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Boston Tea Party???? How about just an old fashioned neck tie party for these stupid sons o' bitches!!!

I agree 100%. Let's see a show of hands on who voted for this idiot. My hands down. The Democrats in this state can pay for all of us. They want change, hope, etc. and continue to vote based on emotion rather then common sense. then they should pay for the change they crave.
Old 02-10-2009, 07:22 AM   #17
BigFish
BigFish Bait Co.

This gas tax goes through your gonna see BigFish on the Statehouse steps with a sign....any guesses what it might say?!

Old 02-10-2009, 07:36 AM   #18
Clogston29
xxx

obviously nobody wants to be taxed, but what are some other recomendations to raise money to pay for infrastucture improvements? gas tax seams pretty fair in that the burden paid by each person reflects their use of the system. i'd like to see the numbers behind the value that they came up with though. infrastructure improvements = jobs aswell (full disclosure - my job is one of those jobs).

trust me, the reports that our roads and bridges in MA are amongst if not the worst in the country are valid. something needs to be done. you'd be amazed what some of our structures look like up close.

"Remember, my friend, that knowledge is stronger than memory, and we should not trust the weaker" - Van Helsing
Old 02-10-2009, 07:55 AM   #19
striperman36
Old Guy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Clogston29 View Post
obviously nobody wants to be taxed, but what are some other recomendations to raise money to pay for infrastucture improvements? gas tax seams pretty fair in that the burden paid by each person reflects their use of the system. i'd like to see the numbers behind the value that they came up with though. infrastructure improvements = jobs aswell (full disclosure - my job is one of those jobs).

trust me, the reports that our roads and bridges in MA are amongst if not the worst in the country are valid. something needs to be done. you'd be amazed what some of our structures look like up close.
Again the sins of the father being paid by the sons and daughters. Our state cut road improvements for 30 years. Now we have the big dig debt and a massive catchup cost on infrastructure.

I just don't believe taxing in a down way down economy is the way to get us out of the downward spiral.

Tax cuts and spending
Old 02-10-2009, 08:01 AM   #20
likwid
lobster = striper bait

Send a message via AIM to likwid
Quote:
any guesses what it might say?!
"I'm a slacker who took the day off from work like the rest of these tools when I should be working on a letter writing campaign to my legislature."?

Ski Quicks Hole
Old 02-10-2009, 08:03 AM   #21
likwid
lobster = striper bait

Send a message via AIM to likwid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Uncle Matt View Post
According to the news that would make our gas prices the highest in the nation.
MA state avg is $1.88
AK state avg is $2.51

Your news station has awesome math skills.

Ski Quicks Hole
Old 02-10-2009, 08:24 AM   #22
The Dad Fisherman
Super Moderator

Quote:
but what are some other recomendations to raise money to pay for infrastucture improvements? gas tax seams pretty fair in that the burden paid by each person reflects their use of the system.

here is the Rub.....The Gas tax is, according to the reports, to be used to pay for the Big Pig...er I mean Dig and for the MBTA Debt.

I don't live in Boston, I don't work in Boston or the Surrounding Communities.....So why do I have to pay for something I don't use.

If you want me to help pay then why not just increase tolls and Fares.....that way the people using these systems will be paying for them, and If I have to use one of them then I will be paying my Fair share..... Is it fair for people in Western MA to be paying for the Big Dig, a lot of them have never even seen it or for the "T" when they don't use it.

"If you're arguing with an idiot, make sure he isn't doing the same thing."
Old 02-10-2009, 08:25 AM   #23
Raven

Thumbs up

Quote:
This gas tax goes through your gonna see BigFish on the Statehouse steps with a sign....any guesses what it might say?!

Old 02-10-2009, 10:40 AM   #24
EarnedStripes44

They should tax gas into oblivion.
Old 02-10-2009, 11:24 AM   #25
buckman

Quote:

We don't need to increase dollars spent we just need a common sense approach. Lets say we cut the cop details, fund the improvements in one shot rather then dragging every freakin bridge rebuild out for 7 years. Get a grip on the hand outs to companies like Visa Flash etc. The waste factor alone should piss you off.

Isn't this what they said would happen if we eliminated the income tax. Well most of you voted to keep it and now your getting screwed again. Just bend over and ask for another. You will!
Old 02-10-2009, 11:26 AM   #26
buckman

Quote:
Originally Posted by EarnedStripes44 View Post
They should tax gas into oblivion.
They should tax stupidity
Old 02-10-2009, 11:26 AM   #27
Bronko

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Dad Fisherman View Post
here is the Rub.....The Gas tax is, according to the reports, to be used to pay for the Big Pig...er I mean Dig and for the MBTA Debt.

I don't live in Boston, I don't work in Boston or the Surrounding Communities.....So why do I have to pay for something I don't use.

If you want me to help pay then why not just increase tolls and Fares.....that way the people using these systems will be paying for them, and If I have to use one of them then I will be paying my Fair share..... Is it fair for people in Western MA to be paying for the Big Dig, a lot of them have never even seen it or for the "T" when they don't use it.
You are on a slippery slope TDF. Is it fair for me to have tax dollars go to public schools if I don't intend on sending my children to them? Is it fair that my tax dollars go to social programs that I not only don't believe in, but am disgusted by? Is it fair some of my tax dollars go to a monument or park in another corner of the state? The bottom line is these pigs want ALL your money and they want you to STFU. Even in the arguably the worst economic crisis in our countries history, these scumbags are lined up with their hands out trying to get some table scraps for their pet projects and special interests. It is sickening.

The charm of fishing is that it is the pursuit of what is elusive but attainable, a perpetual series of occasions for hope. ~John Buchan
Old 02-10-2009, 11:27 AM   #28
BigFish
BigFish Bait Co.

The stupidty tax would erase the national debt in an afternoon.

Old 02-10-2009, 11:42 AM   #29
EarnedStripes44

Quote:
Originally Posted by buckman View Post
They should tax stupidity
Your absolutely right.......it is a free good.
Old 02-10-2009, 11:51 AM   #30
fishbones

Quote:
Originally Posted by EarnedStripes44 View Post
Your absolutely right.......it is a free good.
Not entirely true. Many of us end up paying for the stupidity of others, over and over.

Conservatism is not about leaving people behind. Conservatism is about empowering people to catch up, to give them tools at their disposal that make it possible for them to access all the hope, all the promise, all the opportunity that America offers. - Marco Rubio