Striper Talk Striped Bass Fishing, Surfcasting, Boating

Left Nav S-B Home Register FAQ Members List S-B on Facebook Arcade WEAX Tides Buoys Calendar Today's Posts Right Nav

Left Container Right Container

Go Back   Striper Talk Striped Bass Fishing, Surfcasting, Boating » Sponsors Specials » Surfcasting Rhode Island

Surfcasting Rhode Island Online tackle shop with useful and unique items and fishing content.

Old 12-29-2007, 04:31 PM   #1
SirWinston

The Call of the Surf

Joe,

That was a very enjoyable read - many, many thanks for your work on the re-printing.

It is amazing how much has not changed about surcasting. This is one of the rare books that reminds you that the people who lived in a previous generation were, well, people.

Some of the poetry was pretty darned good, and the writing was very engaging.

For the elements that have changed (pretty much the tackle and other equipment), it was an educational window into the state of the art from another age.

Cheers, mate. Much appreciated.

(and I will give you a call in early May, as you offered!! )

"When you stare into the abyss....wink. It'll confuse the hell out of it."
Old 12-29-2007, 06:48 PM   #2
Joe

Well, Van Campen Heilner was not an ordinary guy. He came from a railroad family, had a classical education, and really never had to work. He spent his life fishing and hunting and wrote books, articles and shot movies about his life afield.
He was close to Ernest Hemingway. If you've read Hemingway's A Farewell To Arms, there is a minor character, a Nurse Van Campen, who came from a "good family," he argues with her because she won't let him have any alcohol in hospital.
The reprint has done pretty well - though I have not really pushed it to a lot of stores. It got a positive review from an "Bluewater" magazine - from Australia, recently.
You did pretty well with the stripers I remember, but not too many keepers. We'll see if we can't fix that. Thanks for the support - Happy New Year...

Old 12-31-2007, 11:05 AM   #3
SirWinston

*Grin*

I look forward to it!!

Understood about Van Campen Heilner - I remember reading that surfcasting was something that the more priveledged did until after WW2 when it became more widespread.

I think that he managed to express the enthusiasm that he felt and this resonates in the writing - in the majority of books about times past that I have read I did not get that impression, and the writers appeared to be more two dimensional (which is the default position that one develops about people from previous generations during History classes at school!!). However it goes, it was a treat to read.

I hope that you have a great 2008.

All the best.

"When you stare into the abyss....wink. It'll confuse the hell out of it."
Old 01-12-2008, 03:44 AM   #4
Mr. Sandman

I enjoyed this book as well. For a few years I kept an eye opened for a signed first edition but they only came available now and again and when they did they were pretty costly.

ie: http://www.amazon.com/gp/offer-listi...0127076&sr=8-6

anyway, he was an interesting well eduacted and traveled fellow who hung around with some even more interesting sportsman. When I saw you did a reprint I had to get a copy. Some of those photos are pretty cool. This is one of those classic reads that makes me imagine what it must have been like blazing the sportfishing scene back then.
Old 01-18-2008, 02:29 PM   #5
Joe

I launched a website, thecallofthesurf.com to promote the book. You can also buy the book there with free shipping.

Old 01-25-2008, 09:27 PM   #6
DJ Muller

Joe-
H was in his early 20's when he wrote the book, wasn't he?

I just want to say that I absolutely love the book and his writing style. Very provocative and very entertaining...I have it beside my bed and read excerpts from it nightly...it gives me good dreams of great stripers! (and other fish of course).

Being that I am from Jersey I guess adds to it some what, but no matter where you are from the pull of a good fish is universal!
Old 02-20-2008, 07:53 PM   #7
Huge Dinghy

hello RI

Brian here, new member to THIS board, live in the east bay and fish from the east/canal-MA to westerly/RIMS-RI....look forward to sharing....

quit your bitchin' and lets go fitchin!
Old 02-22-2008, 09:20 AM   #8
Joe

Welcome....

Old 02-25-2008, 11:12 PM   #9
westhavendave
See you at the beach.

I have seen this video before and while searching his name just realized that he directed it, as well as other sporting videos, he has a profile at www.imdb.com

http://video.aol.com/video-detail/mo...time/588074176