Striper Talk Striped Bass Fishing, Surfcasting, Boating

Left Nav S-B Home Register FAQ Members List S-B on Facebook Arcade WEAX Tides Buoys Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Right Nav

Left Container Right Container

Go Back   Striper Talk Striped Bass Fishing, Surfcasting, Boating » Main Forum » TUNA & Big Game

TUNA & Big Game TUNA - Offshore Fishing for Tuna and Other Big Game

Old 06-01-2009, 08:54 PM   #1
clcharette
Get off my Rock

2009 Regs out today

Looks like Recs will be fishing with a quota of 1 fish between 27 and 47" and one between 47-73".

General: 3 over 73" until August 31 when things will probably loosen up with either unlimited quota or smaller fish or both.
clcharette is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2009, 09:08 PM   #2
Raider Ronnie

Send a message via AIM to Raider Ronnie
Looks to me like 1 fish a day as I highly doubt there will be any/many fish smaller than 47 around this year.

Last edited by Raider Ronnie; 06-01-2009 at 09:16 PM..

LETS GO BRANDON
Raider Ronnie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2009, 09:23 PM   #3
clcharette
Get off my Rock

Quote:
Originally Posted by Raider Ronnie View Post
Looks to me like 1 fish a day as I highly doubt there will be any/many fish smaller than 47 around this year.
I agree, not in the bay or east anyway.
clcharette is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2009, 03:32 AM   #4
keeperreaper
Spot Preserver

Dont be so sure of that. The southern reports are of 2 distinct year classes. The 67-72" and a smaller 40-50" class. I'm optimistic.

Make America Great Again.
keeperreaper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2009, 11:32 AM   #5
Moses

Quote:
Originally Posted by keeperreaper View Post
Dont be so sure of that. The southern reports are of 2 distinct year classes. The 67-72" and a smaller 40-50" class. I'm optimistic.

Me too, optimistic that is....

Mike Malone
Moses is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2009, 06:43 PM   #6
RIROCKHOUND
Also known as OAK

What size to BFT spawn at...
just curious how the regs relate to maturity

I know YFT start at 75cm, (2.5ft fork length)and most are mature around 3-4ft so the min. size of maturity is close to the 27" min size for us to keep...

how does that relate to BFT...

Bryan

Originally Posted by #^&#^&#^&#^&#^&#^&#^&#^&#^&#^&#^&
"For once I agree with Spence. UGH. I just hope I don't get the urge to go start buying armani suits to wear in my shop"
RIROCKHOUND is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2009, 07:43 AM   #7
MakoMike

Quote:
Originally Posted by RIROCKHOUND View Post
What size to BFT spawn at...
just curious how the regs relate to maturity

I know YFT start at 75cm, (2.5ft fork length)and most are mature around 3-4ft so the min. size of maturity is close to the 27" min size for us to keep...

how does that relate to BFT...
Bluefin tuna don't start to spawn until they are about 300 pounds well above the 73 inch "trophy" size for the angling category. So the answer is that we are killing babies.

****MakoMike****

Http://www.Makomania.net

Official S-B Sponsor
MakoMike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2009, 04:32 PM   #8
RIROCKHOUND
Also known as OAK

Mike,
that was my point, and I thought my brain said 72" way in the back of my head in the land of trivial facts that they were large when they matured..
The Med fishery aside, all this talk of more catching to keep our quota worries me... we all get agitated (or at least I do) that long-liners are killing pre-spawn swords (I don't eat swordfish that I don't know was rod/reel or darted) on how the average size has decreased and such, but the mirror should be our friend here...

the last OTW had a great article with some salient points about BFT's, conservation, specifically regarding how the same year classes have been hammered for the last 5 or 6 years, as they just keep getting bigger, and perhaps less plentiful....

from what I read/understand, most of the yellow fin, albacore and BE landed offshore have at least reached spawning size, or some high percentage has... with BFT it isn't even close...

seems odd to be, b/c every other species is managed based on spawning size... commercial (gen cat) fish this is the case, but for recs they aren't even close to mature....
just wondering if people think about this...

let me say, I have no problem with people killing and eating fish, and I am pointing ZERO fingers here, as anyone keeping them is legally allowed to... but when I see the same rec people posting a number of juvenile fish dead on every trip it makes me wonder, and I always think that is a lot of fish to eat, and maybe we are in a seriously flawed system!

Last edited by RIROCKHOUND; 06-03-2009 at 06:13 PM..

Bryan

"For once I agree with Spence. UGH. I just hope I don't get the urge to go start buying armani suits to wear in my shop"
Old 06-04-2009, 08:34 AM   #9
MakoMike

Quote:
Originally Posted by RIROCKHOUND View Post
Mike,
that was my point, and I thought my brain said 72" way in the back of my head in the land of trivial facts that they were large when they matured..
The Med fishery aside, all this talk of more catching to keep our quota worries me... we all get agitated (or at least I do) that long-liners are killing pre-spawn swords (I don't eat swordfish that I don't know was rod/reel or darted) on how the average size has decreased and such, but the mirror should be our friend here...

the last OTW had a great article with some salient points about BFT's, conservation, specifically regarding how the same year classes have been hammered for the last 5 or 6 years, as they just keep getting bigger, and perhaps less plentiful....

from what I read/understand, most of the yellow fin, albacore and BE landed offshore have at least reached spawning size, or some high percentage has... with BFT it isn't even close...

seems odd to be, b/c every other species is managed based on spawning size... commercial (gen cat) fish this is the case, but for recs they aren't even close to mature....
just wondering if people think about this...

let me say, I have no problem with people killing and eating fish, and I am pointing ZERO fingers here, as anyone keeping them is legally allowed to... but when I see the same rec people posting a number of juvenile fish dead on every trip it makes me wonder, and I always think that is a lot of fish to eat, and maybe we are in a seriously flawed system!
We have a 73 inch minimum for the gen. Cat. but most countries allow the commercialization of much smaller fish. We are the exception in only killing mature fish for the market. The argument for keeping the status quo is that is we don't kill the fish then ICATT will give our quota to other countries who will kill the fish, so either way the fish will be dead. I'm not sure I completely buy into that, but that's the argument.

****MakoMike****

Official S-B Sponsor
Old 06-04-2009, 11:20 AM   #10
RIROCKHOUND
Also known as OAK

I understand Mike.
Just think it's ass-backwards...
I just think it's to bad we have to have a kill more mentality to keep up with them, rather than fighting for more international regs (which I know is on-going)

Bryan

Old 06-04-2009, 11:37 AM   #11
MakoMike

IMHO part of the problem is our membership in ICATT, they govern our quotas but we are powerless to get them to impose the kind of restrictions everyone knows are necessary.

****MakoMike****

Official S-B Sponsor
Old 06-04-2009, 01:36 PM   #12
keeperreaper
Spot Preserver

Quote:
Originally Posted by MakoMike View Post
IMHO part of the problem is our membership in ICATT, they govern our quotas but we are powerless to get them to impose the kind of restrictions everyone knows are necessary.
Well said. Plus the policing done by ICCAT is almost non-existent.
I just hope the fish are around for my kids to enjoy.

Make America Great Again.
keeperreaper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2009, 01:52 PM   #13
MakoMike

Quote:
Originally Posted by keeperreaper View Post
policing done by ICCAT is almost non-existent.
Almost ????

****MakoMike****

Official S-B Sponsor