Striper Talk Striped Bass Fishing, Surfcasting, Boating

Left Nav S-B Home Register FAQ Members List S-B on Facebook Arcade WEAX Tides Buoys Calendar Today's Posts Right Nav

Left Container Right Container

Go Back   Striper Talk Striped Bass Fishing, Surfcasting, Boating » Striper Chat - Discuss stuff other than fishing ~ The Scuppers and Political talk » Political Threads

Political Threads This section is for Political Threads - Enter at your own risk. If you say you don't want to see what someone posts - don't read it :hihi:

Old 02-05-2022, 11:10 AM   #1
Jim in CT

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Dad Fisherman View Post
Bruce, People have completely lost their minds over this. I have a friend who actually thinks it would be acceptable to turn someone away from an emergency room if they’re not vaccinated. My jaw hit the floor on that one.
Posted from my iPhone/Mobile device
i’d be genuinely interested to hear your take on this.

i have a sister in law,,my brothers wife. for whatever reason, her immune system is vulnerable to covid.

She caught covid early on, head it bad, was in the hospital for 8 days. Not long after, they tested her for antibodies, she had none. Not a good sign.

She got her first vaccine dose, got very very sick, spent two days in the hospital. Again, they tested her after, she had no antibodies. Her body just doesn’t like to keep the antibodies. she was an ER nurse at Yale, she had to retire, was too dangerous, she was too vulnerable to covid and too likely to have a severe case if infected.

Couple of months ago, she caught covid again. They wanted her to get on a course of monoclonal antibodies, but none were available. Their entire stock was being dispensed to a couple dozen patients who were also very sick, and every single one of them was unvaccinated

She was again hospitalized for about a week, until monoclonal
antibodies were available. As soon a she’s started that treatment, she recovered very very quickly.

Now, if those patients all had gotten the vaccine, it’s virtually certain that some of them would not have required hospitalization, therefore there’d have been monoclonal antibodies available for my sister in law. she could have died while
waiting.

i would never ever say the unvaccinated don’t deserve medical treatment. But when i hear the unvaccinated say “ my choice is none of your business”, well, i think of my sister in law, and it’s pretty certain that their choice had a serious and negative impact on her.

anyway, you know that i consider you one of the fair and middle of the road guys here. i’d be curious to know what you think, and don’t worry about disagreeing with me, i have thick skin and i initiated this.
Old 02-05-2022, 11:21 AM   #2
The Dad Fisherman
Super Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim in CT View Post
i’d be genuinely interested to hear your take on this.

i have a sister in law,,my brothers wife. for whatever reason, her immune system is vulnerable to covid.

She caught covid early on, head it bad, was in the hospital for 8 days. Not long after, they tested her for antibodies, she had none. Not a good sign.

She got her first vaccine dose, got very very sick, spent two days in the hospital. Again, they tested her after, she had no antibodies. Her body just doesn’t like to keep the antibodies. she was an ER nurse at Yale, she had to retire, was too dangerous, she was too vulnerable to covid and too likely to have a severe case if infected.

Couple of months ago, she caught covid again. They wanted her to get on a course of monoclonal antibodies, but none were available. Their entire stock was being dispensed to a couple dozen patients who were also very sick, and every single one of them was unvaccinated

She was again hospitalized for about a week, until monoclonal
antibodies were available. As soon a she’s started that treatment, she recovered very very quickly.

Now, if those patients all had gotten the vaccine, it’s virtually certain that some of them would not have required hospitalization, therefore there’d have been monoclonal antibodies available for my sister in law. she could have died while
waiting.

i would never ever say the unvaccinated don’t deserve medical treatment. But when i hear the unvaccinated say “ my choice is none of your business”, well, i think of my sister in law, and it’s pretty certain that their choice had a serious and negative impact on her.

anyway, you know that i consider you one of the fair and middle of the road guys here. i’d be curious to know what you think, and don’t worry about disagreeing with me, i have thick skin and i initiated this.
I would say the issue is that they need to work on increasing the availability of monoclonal antibodies.

My biggest concern on my buddy’s take is that I don’t want people making a judgement call, at the point of emergency, on whether you deserve to have your life saved because of your vaccine status.

You save their life, period, that’s your job in the ER. After that, then issues can be addressed.

The guy that can’t get the heart transplant because of his refusal to get vaccinated, I feel bad for him and his family, but it’s a stupid stand to take. There are all kinds of medical requirements for organ transplants, if being vaccinated is one of them, so be it.

"If you're arguing with an idiot, make sure he isn't doing the same thing."
Old 02-05-2022, 11:26 AM   #3
Jim in CT

Quote:
I would say the issue is that they need to work on increasing the availability of monoclonal antibodies.

My biggest concern on my buddy’s take is that I don’t want people making a judgement call, at the point of emergency, on whether you deserve to have your life saved because of your vaccine status.

You save their life, period, that’s your job in the ER. After that, then issues can be addressed.

The guy that can’t get the heart transplant because of his refusal to get vaccinated, I feel bad for him and his family, but it’s a stupid stand to take. There are all kinds of medical requirements for organ transplants, if being vaccinated is one of them, so be it.
absolutely they need to make them
more available.

and i agree with you about the guy who needs the trans a t but won’t get vaccinated. stupid.

thanks.
Old 02-05-2022, 11:31 AM   #4
The Dad Fisherman
Super Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim in CT View Post
absolutely they need to make them
more available.

and i agree with you about the guy who needs the trans a t but won’t get vaccinated. stupid.

thanks.
When you get a chance, can you leave me a review, so Paul knows I added something to the conversation

"If you're arguing with an idiot, make sure he isn't doing the same thing."
Old 02-05-2022, 11:39 AM   #5
Jim in CT

Quote:
When you get a chance, can you leave me a review, so Paul knows I added something to the conversation
i’ll put it on yelp.
Old 02-05-2022, 11:56 AM   #6
PaulS

Quote:
👍