Striper Talk Striped Bass Fishing, Surfcasting, Boating

Left Nav S-B Home Register FAQ Members List S-B on Facebook Arcade WEAX Tides Buoys Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Right Nav

Left Container Right Container

Go Back   Striper Talk Striped Bass Fishing, Surfcasting, Boating » Build Stuff: Custom Plug & Lure Building, Rod Building » Vintage Lures

Vintage Lures At the request of many members, a new S-B forum for the discussion of Vintage Lures

Old 02-18-2008, 05:30 PM   #1
WadingWill

Question about value of vintage Penn reels

I have 1Penn Senator 113HLW, 1 Penn Peer #309, and 1 Penn Squidder. All are at least 15 years in age and still work. Anybody know what they're worth ballpark figure?
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	DSCN0807.jpg
Views:	2432
Size:	57.4 KB
ID:	25964  
WadingWill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2008, 11:10 AM   #2
leptar
eh! What do you mean?

Judging by the pic's...

Senator Space between the Star drag and the handle to me compressed drag, needs a good cleaning so roughly around $60-75.

The 309, Not popular $25-30 if there is no cracks in the side plates. paperweight otherwise.

The Squidder, again compressed drag and it looks like the handle is bent, can you take it apart without getting red in the face? Chrome spool $55ish... If it needs serious cleaning $40ish..

I don't think i'm off by much... I wouldn't loose the Senator.. makes for a good Cod reel.. Pick up a beefstick for cheap $$ and don't pay rental..

309's usually in the used condition just stay in cases..

The Squidder is a buyers market... IMHO it's a fad reel that bounces back and forth in price not value...
leptar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2008, 10:05 PM   #3
WadingWill

Thanks Leptar, they could all use a good cleaning. Been sitting in my fathers attic for years. Thanks agian for the info.
Old 02-20-2008, 11:36 AM   #4
ProfessorM
Uncle Remus

Corrosion brings down the price. If the spools are in good condition they will also bring more cash, but I doubt they are if they were stored with line on them. Prices stated above are a good estimate.

"A beach is a place where a man can feel he's the only soul in the world that's real"
ProfessorM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2008, 05:02 PM   #5
WadingWill

Thanks Paul, I'll take off the line and give them a good cleaning.
Old 02-20-2008, 07:22 PM   #6
ProfessorM
Uncle Remus

I like the old Penn reels. I bought lots of them on e-bay a few years ago, especially jigmasters and 112H's. I was looking for the chrome or stainless spools all the time. I use them for trolling leadcore. Basic simple reel. I also bought any chromed bronze or stainless spools I could find for the jig masters, 112H and 113HSP reels. The aluminum spools they come with now, except the 113 which is still made in the chromed bronze for wire trolling, don't last very long. Clean them up they will be fine. They have character. P.

"A beach is a place where a man can feel he's the only soul in the world that's real"
ProfessorM is offline   Reply With Quote