Striper Talk Striped Bass Fishing, Surfcasting, Boating

Left Nav S-B Home Register FAQ Members List S-B on Facebook Arcade WEAX Tides Buoys Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Right Nav

Left Container Right Container

Go Back   Striper Talk Striped Bass Fishing, Surfcasting, Boating » Striper Chat - Discuss stuff other than fishing ~ The Scuppers and Political talk » Political Threads

Political Threads This section is for Political Threads - Enter at your own risk. If you say you don't want to see what someone posts - don't read it :hihi:

Old 04-21-2016, 07:27 PM   #31
spence

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim in CT View Post
Oh, I see. So "tens of millions of people" deduct $10,000 for food expenses like Bernie did? Because lord knows, there's no "grey area" when it comes to deciding whether or not a lunch is a 'business lunch'.
I would think for someone who's on the go as much as a US Senator is coming up with 10k in qualified business meals wouldn't be that hard. I'd wager a lot of home office, self employed and small business owners go well beyond that.

Quote:
One of his loudest complaints is that CEOs pay a lower effective rate than employees. That's bullsh*t, and you know it. The reason for that, is that wealthy people commonly receive a large share of taxable income from capital gains, which is taxed at a rate lower than wages (and for good reason). There is absolutely nohting grey, murky, or ambiguous about it. The IRS currently works for Chairman Barack, and they have decided that capital gains are to be taxed at a lower rate than wages. In case you can't connect the dots, that necessarily means that someone who gets their income from capital gains, will therefore pay a lower rate than someone who gets all their income from wages.
You're mixing up your outrages. The CEO gripe is primarily that they earn 300x of their workers. The effective tax rate gripe is about large corporations and hedge fund managers.

I think the CBO has studied earners above 700K and found their effective tax rate averages around 30%. It's the mega rich that are going further out of their way to avoid paying.

Quote:
Is that going sufficiently too fast for you, that you can't grasp it, so you call it "grey"? It's pretty straightforward and intended.

Quote:
Spence, I seem to recall a President in the late 1990's slashing capital gains tax rates significantly, and if memory serves, he had a (D) after his name, correct? Remember him, a gray-haired pervert? He was married at the time, and sure as hell, I don't recall his wife ever once bitching about her husband cutting capital gains tax rates. I also seem to recall that the economy took off, after those capital gains tax rates were cut. To the point that my golden retriever could have followed his nose into the local Wendys and walked out as an assistant manager. How about that?
The economy took off well before Clinton cut the capital gains rate due to the tech boom. It was the surge in revenues that afforded the opportunity combined with the pressure from the '94 House. If the tax cuts had such a magical impact you'd have thought they would have insulated the economy from the oncoming recession but...
Old 04-21-2016, 08:21 PM   #32
Jim in CT

Quote:
Originally Posted by spence View Post
I would think for someone who's on the go as much as a US Senator is coming up with 10k in qualified business meals wouldn't be that hard. I'd wager a lot of home office, self employed and small business owners go well beyond that.

You're mixing up your outrages. The CEO gripe is primarily that they earn 300x of their workers. The effective tax rate gripe is about large corporations and hedge fund managers.

I think the CBO has studied earners above 700K and found their effective tax rate averages around 30%. It's the mega rich that are going further out of their way to avoid paying.

The economy took off well before Clinton cut the capital gains rate due to the tech boom. It was the surge in revenues that afforded the opportunity combined with the pressure from the '94 House. If the tax cuts had such a magical impact you'd have thought they would have insulated the economy from the oncoming recession but...
"I would think for someone who's on the go as much as a US Senator"

You said he's doing what tens of millions of people do. Sorry if that sounds inaccurate, but you said it, not me.

"coming up with 10k in qualified business meals wouldn't be that hard"

"You're mixing up your outrages. The CEO gripe is primarily that they earn 300x of their workers."

No, sir. I hear him whining non-stop about their tax rates being too low. That's what "not paying their fair share" gets at.

As for income, for the VAST majority of large businesses, CEO compensation is nothing on the balance sheet. You know that. At least you should.

"The effective tax rate gripe is about large corporations and hedge fund managers"

First, wrong. He has whined many times that CEOs pay a lower rate than their secretaries. Second, if he doesn't like the tax rates, his beef is with his counterparts in DC who set those rates, not with people who use those rates, the same way he does, to minimize taxes.

"If the tax cuts had such a magical impact you'd have thought they would have insulated the economy from the oncoming recession "

Maybe they would have, except Clinton (not Bush) repealed Glass-Seagal, and THAT allowed banks to get involved in fishy investments. Please tell us where I am wrong on that. Go on...
Old 04-21-2016, 09:08 PM   #33
Jim in CT

Quote:
I

The economy took off well before Clinton cut the capital gains rate ...
He cut capital gains taxes in 1997. Let's go to the numbers, shall we? GDP growth by year...

93 2.7
94 2.4
95 2.7
96 3.8
97 4.5 --> year of tax cut
98 4.5
99 4.7
00 4.1

No spike in GDP growth after the tax cut?

My intellect is only dizzying compared to some, to quote Buttercup...common sense only looks dizzying to those who turn their backs on common sense, every time common sense goes against their agenda.

http://useconomy.about.com/od/GDP-by...DP-History.htm
Old 04-21-2016, 09:23 PM   #34
spence

Quote:
Maybe they would have, except Clinton (not Bush) repealed Glass-Seagal, and THAT allowed banks to get involved in fishy investments. Please tell us where I am wrong on that. Go on...
http://www.politifact.com/truth-o-me...ng-do-financi/

Sums up where you're wrong pretty well.
Old 04-21-2016, 09:24 PM   #35
Nebe

But then there was nafta.
Posted from my iPhone/Mobile device
Old 04-21-2016, 09:27 PM   #36
spence

Quote:
He cut capital gains taxes in 1997. Let's go to the numbers, shall we? GDP growth by year...

93 2.7
94 2.4
95 2.7
96 3.8
97 4.5 --> year of tax cut
98 4.5
99 4.7
00 4.1

No spike in GDP growth after the tax cut?
No.

You're an actuary right, someone who understands how trends would impact future performance?

How then does a tax cut magically impact the year it's implemented, GDP being calculated after the fact. Not to mention there's an already established vector? Not to mention the other variables that had a much larger impact on the economy like the tech boom.

It's time to fess up on your real job. Subway? Don't be ashamed, any work is respectable in my book.
Old 04-21-2016, 09:34 PM   #37
spence

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nebe View Post
Please explain.
Old 04-21-2016, 10:06 PM   #38
Nebe

Not going to waste my time.
Nafta screwed the American worker beyond belief.
Old 04-21-2016, 10:11 PM   #39
Sea Dangles

Still does
Old 04-21-2016, 10:17 PM   #40
Nebe

Ross Perot called it.

Imagine if we never had nafta. We might still have a strong middle class. Heck.. Maybe Spence wouldn't have to shop at Marshalls anymore
Old 04-21-2016, 10:24 PM   #41
spence

Quote:
I wouldn't say NAFTA has been a wild success but it hasn't "screwed" the American worker either. It's actually helped a lot of US based businesses create jobs here and kept a lot of manufacturing in the Americas versus Asia.
Old 04-21-2016, 10:25 PM   #42
Nebe

Old 04-21-2016, 10:27 PM   #43
Nebe

Any treaty that sends any job across our borders screws American workers. And by workers I mean "the masses".

And all the savings? Right to the share holders and upper management. No wonder a ceo gets paid millions.
Old 04-22-2016, 08:18 AM   #44
Slipknot
Super Moderator

Quote:
I wouldn't say NAFTA has been a wild success but it hasn't "screwed" the American worker either. It's actually helped a lot of US based businesses create jobs here and kept a lot of manufacturing in the Americas versus Asia.

coming from the guy who would piss on your leg and tell you it's raining

I guess everyone has an opinion, and some have been brainwashed with so much bull that they believe it

so keeping a job or 2 in Mexico or Central America instead of going to China helps the people and businesses in the US how exactly? Tell that to the folks who lost their jobs and are out of work

The United States Constitution does not exist to grant you rights; those rights are inherent within you. Rather it exists to frame a limited government so that those natural rights can be exercised freely.

1984 was a warning, not a guidebook!

It's time more people spoke up with the truth. Every time we let a leftist lie go uncorrected, the commies get stronger.
Old 04-22-2016, 08:49 AM   #45
Jim in CT

Quote:
http://www.politifact.com/truth-o-me...ng-do-financi/

Sums up where you're wrong pretty well.
Clinton says it wasn't his fault, that's good enough for me! I seem to recall he also said that he didn't touch Monica Lewinski.

Spence, th earticle you posted, also says this..."there isn’t a single what-caused-the-crisis narrative that every economist accepts"

Yet in another thread, you said Bush caused the crash. Where did you get that from?
Old 04-22-2016, 08:50 AM   #46
Jim in CT

Quote:
That hut some people, no doubt. Did it play a role in the 2008 crash?
Old 04-22-2016, 08:58 AM   #47
Jim in CT

Quote:
No.

You're an actuary right, someone who understands how trends would impact future performance?

How then does a tax cut magically impact the year it's implemented, GDP being calculated after the fact. Not to mention there's an already established vector? Not to mention the other variables that had a much larger impact on the economy like the tech boom.

It's time to fess up on your real job. Subway? Don't be ashamed, any work is respectable in my book.
"How then does a tax cut magically impact the year it's implemented"

I didn't say it did. I said the economy took off after that tax cut. And I was correct.

"Not to mention there's an already established vector?"

There was? From 1993-1995 growth ws a steady +2.5% average for those three years. Not much of a vector there that I see. Please explain? Then yes, it shot up in 1997, I am not going to claim I know why, because i don't.

If in 3 years before th ecut, GDP grew by 2.7, 2.4, and 2.7, please tell me how that's an "established vector" by which anyone in their right mind would ssume that growth would shoot up to 4% or more, and stay there? I'm all ears.

"It's time to fess up on your real job. Subway?"

I was a sandwich artist in college! Great job...I also worked at headquarters in Milford CT, doing data mining (looking to see when coupons worked, seeing what impact weather had on sandwich sales, things like that). I learned to look for patterns, or "verctors" as you correctly called it.

Spence, you claim that the following data points:

constitute an increasing trend. And you question my ability to analyze data. What teacher told you that those points represent an upward vector?

Enjoy.
Old 04-22-2016, 09:00 AM   #48
Jim in CT

Quote:
true. But it helped the American consumer beyond belief, because things are so much cheaper.

We need to get out of the manufacturing mindset, and steer kids towards the best jobs that are likely to exist in the next 40 years. It's a bit more restrictive, but it's not impossible. Engineering, accounting, ANYTHING related to healthcare...
Old 04-22-2016, 09:03 AM   #49
Jim in CT

Quote:
And all the savings? Right to the share holders and upper management. .
The savings also went to anyone who buys anything.
Old 04-22-2016, 09:29 AM   #50
buckman

Quote:
true. But it helped the American consumer beyond belief, because things are so much cheaper.

We need to get out of the manufacturing mindset, and steer kids towards the best jobs that are likely to exist in the next 40 years. It's a bit more restrictive, but it's not impossible. Engineering, accounting, ANYTHING related to healthcare...
Or the trades . Also a lot of jobs are going to be lost in the next 10 years due to automation .

Spence , what government branch do you work for anyways ? I'm just curious .
Old 04-22-2016, 10:15 AM   #51
spence

Quote:
Spence, you claim that the following data points:

constitute an increasing trend. And you question my ability to analyze data. What teacher told you that those points represent an upward vector?
A) Your numbers are wrong and B) your data range is too small. As a hogie assembling number cruncher you should have known this.
Old 04-22-2016, 10:15 AM   #52
spence

Quote:
Originally Posted by buckman View Post
Or the trades . Also a lot of jobs are going to be created in the next 10 years due to innovation .
Fixed.
Old 04-22-2016, 10:58 AM   #53
buckman

Quote:
Fixed.
So you are voting for Trump . You had us all fooled
Old 04-22-2016, 02:03 PM   #54
Jim in CT

Quote:
A) Your numbers are wrong and B) your data range is too small. As a hogie assembling number cruncher you should have known this.
A. I posted my source, if you have th ecorrect numbers, please share.

B. YOU are the one who said there was an upward trending "vector", or something. All I said was that after the tax cut, the economy did very well. You are the only person I have ever heard dispute that. I see you didn't provide any supporting data.

I was better at assemblking sandwiches, and I liked that job a lot more.
Old 04-22-2016, 07:13 PM   #55
scottw

Quote:

the one that's completely screwed up and doesn't know it
Old 04-23-2016, 10:29 AM   #56
ecduzitgood
time to go

Quote:

https://www.yahoo.com/tech/pro-clint...205647195.html
Pro-Clinton PAC unleashes a ridiculous $1 million plan to ‘correct’ Reddit