Striper Talk Striped Bass Fishing, Surfcasting, Boating

Left Nav S-B Home Register FAQ Members List S-B on Facebook Arcade WEAX Tides Buoys Calendar Today's Posts Right Nav

Left Container Right Container

Go Back   Striper Talk Striped Bass Fishing, Surfcasting, Boating » Striper Chat - Discuss stuff other than fishing ~ The Scuppers and Political talk » Political Threads

Political Threads This section is for Political Threads - Enter at your own risk. If you say you don't want to see what someone posts - don't read it :hihi:

Old 12-07-2010, 09:17 AM   #1
scottw

Global Warming

FORT LAUDERDALE — South Floridians woke up Tuesday morning to temperatures hovering around the very low 40s that sometimes felt like the mid-30s because of the wind chill factor.

In Fort Lauderdale, a low temperature record of 42 degrees for Dec. 7 that had been in place for 169 years was broken, said Dan Gregoria, a meteorologist with the National Weather Service in Miami.

BRITAIN IS FREEZING TO DEATH
http://www.express.co.uk/posts/view/...ezing-to-death
this one isn't so funny

brrrrr-its-the-warmest-year-everhttp://blogs.telegraph.co.uk/news/ja...est-year-ever/

What happened to the 'warmest year on record'
http://www.dailymail.co.uk/sciencete...=feeds-newsxml

Last edited by scottw; 12-07-2010 at 09:31 AM..
Old 12-07-2010, 09:47 AM   #2
Nebe

Obviously you have not read anything about global warming. Our climates are changing ... Scientists made a huge mistake when they coined the name global warming. 'climate change' I what they should have called it.
Posted from my iPhone/Mobile device
Old 12-07-2010, 09:52 AM   #3
Raven

global MELTING is more like it

freshwater sits on top of saltwater

then evaporates -gets into the atmosphere

becomes more precipitation creating humongous snowfalls

Bufalo NY and ontario Canada -> O Canada O canada .... singing

got 42 inches of snow.... now i'm scaring myself into
braving the cold and checking out the snow blower

gonna roll it into the warmer hoop house and see if mice
those delightful creatures made a nest in it or WHAT?
Old 12-07-2010, 10:25 AM   #4
scottw

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nebe View Post
Obviously you have not read anything about global warming. Our climates are changing ... Scientists made a huge mistake when they coined the name global warming. 'climate change' I what they should have called it.
Posted from my iPhone/Mobile device
so what you are saying is that when they declared Global Warming a worldwide "concensus" and "settled science" they made a mistake and should have declared it a concensus and settled science that the climate would change..."climate change"....BRILLIANT!!!!

btw...you are step behind...we're now on to "Global Climate Disruption"

it appears as though the disgraced Global Warming scientists went to work for our Homeland Security

WASHPO

Unusual methods helped ICE break deportation record, e-mails and interviews show

By Andrew Becker
Center for Investigative Reporting
Monday, December 6, 2010; 12:08 AM

For much of this year, the Obama administration touted its tougher-than-ever approach to immigration enforcement, culminating in a record number of deportations.

But in reaching 392,862 deportations, U.S. Immigration and Customs Enforcement included more than 19,000 immigrants who had exited the previous fiscal year, according to agency statistics. ICE also ran a Mexican repatriation program five weeks longer than ever before, allowing the agency to count at least 6,500 exits that, without the program, would normally have been tallied by the U.S. Border Patrol.

When ICE officials realized in the final weeks of the fiscal year, which ended Sept. 30, that the agency still was in jeopardy of falling short of last year's mark, it scrambled to reach the goal. Officials quietly directed immigration officers to bypass backlogged immigration courts and time-consuming deportation hearings whenever possible, internal e-mails and interviews show.

Instead, officials told immigration officers to encourage eligible foreign nationals to accept a quick pass to their countries without a negative mark on their immigration record, ICE employees said.

Last edited by scottw; 12-07-2010 at 10:33 AM..
Old 12-07-2010, 10:52 AM   #5
Raven

Cool

they can all be back in one day

theres allot more tunnels than they can ever imagine

people are in them digging away....... as i write this...
Old 12-07-2010, 11:07 AM   #6
scottw

Quote:
Originally Posted by Raven View Post
they can all be back in one day

theres allot more tunnels than they can ever imagine

people are in them digging away....... as i write this...
did you see the pics of that drug tunnel?....practically a subway...yikes!
Old 12-07-2010, 02:55 PM   #7
PaulS

I always laugh at these posts. Where were they in Aug. when it was 100.
Old 12-07-2010, 03:10 PM   #8
fishbones

Quote:
Originally Posted by PaulS View Post
I always laugh at these posts. Where were they in Aug. when it was 100.
I don't remember reading anything about high temp records being broken? I thought August was pretty comfortable.

Conservatism is not about leaving people behind. Conservatism is about empowering people to catch up, to give them tools at their disposal that make it possible for them to access all the hope, all the promise, all the opportunity that America offers. - Marco Rubio
Old 12-07-2010, 03:24 PM   #9
PaulS

Quote:
Originally Posted by fishbones View Post
I don't remember reading anything about high temp records being broken? I thought August was pretty comfortable.
I could be wrong but I believe that this year was suppose to be one of the hottest in many years.
Old 12-07-2010, 04:04 PM   #10
FishermanTim

Do you think that the Iceland volcano ash had anything to do with that?

Remember that there was a massive volcanic eruption in the late 1800's that threw up so much ash that we had snow in June.
Just a scaled-down version of the dust cloud effect that would result from a major meteor strike (like the one that hit the Yucatan Peninsula).

That would be the more likely cause than "global warming" as it currently has been described.
Old 12-07-2010, 04:26 PM   #11
scottw

Quote:
I could be wrong but I believe that this year was suppose to be one of the hottest in many years.
if that was really the case you'd think you'd be hearing more about it...wouldn't you?
Old 12-07-2010, 05:20 PM   #12
RIROCKHOUND
Also known as OAK

Quote:
Originally Posted by FishermanTim View Post
Do you think that the Iceland volcano ash had anything to do with that?

Remember that there was a massive volcanic eruption in the late 1800's that threw up so much ash that we had snow in June.
Just a scaled-down version of the dust cloud effect that would result from a major meteor strike (like the one that hit the Yucatan Peninsula).

That would be the more likely cause than "global warming" as it currently has been described.
What are you implying? That it warmed the atmosphere? It actually works in the inverse to that. Volcanic eruptions do have global implications, when large enough, the sulpher and other particles cool the earth by reflecting incoming solar radiation. This was noted after Krakatoa in the late 1800's with the 'year w/o a summer'

I'm no volcanologist, but I don't think the volume of material erupted was large enough to cause any significant global impacts, beyond travel in planes at the time.

Bryan

Originally Posted by #^&#^&#^&#^&#^&#^&#^&#^&#^&#^&#^&
"For once I agree with Spence. UGH. I just hope I don't get the urge to go start buying armani suits to wear in my shop"
Old 12-07-2010, 06:27 PM   #13
buckman

So I'm confused ( surprise!). If we are really cooling now instead of warming, does that mean ocean levels will drop instead of rise. Please help me out cause I want to buy on the ocean next year and I don't want to be inland.
Old 12-07-2010, 07:25 PM   #14
RIROCKHOUND
Also known as OAK

Quote:
Originally Posted by buckman View Post
So I'm confused ( surprise!). If we are really cooling now instead of warming, does that mean ocean levels will drop instead of rise. Please help me out cause I want to buy on the ocean next year and I don't want to be inland.
In short, no.

All I was trying to clarify that the volcano probably didn't cause this recent cold weather, and if it did have a global impact, it would be cooling, not warming.

Bryan

Originally Posted by #^&#^&#^&#^&#^&#^&#^&#^&#^&#^&#^&
"For once I agree with Spence. UGH. I just hope I don't get the urge to go start buying armani suits to wear in my shop"
Old 12-08-2010, 06:08 AM   #15
scottw

Quote:
Originally Posted by buckman View Post
Al Gore just bought some ocean front property in Malibu so I think you are safe..because...he'd know......that and the fact that Obama has halted the rise of the seas.....
Old 12-08-2010, 07:51 AM   #16
PaulS

Quote:
Originally Posted by scottw View Post
if that was really the case you'd think you'd be hearing more about it...wouldn't you?
I saw plenty of articles on in late in the summer. Didn't you read anything about it?
Old 12-08-2010, 08:18 AM   #17
scottw

Quote:
I saw plenty of articles on in late in the summer. Didn't you read anything about it?
I think you will find plenty of articles in "late summer" claiming that year to be on track to be the hottest on record....of course there's sept-dec.....and if that doesn't work out you just transpose previous months data into the following month to make your contention true

Hottest October on record … was really a September

The main statistical facility for global-warming activists compounded error with folly and have undermined their credibility entirely. NASA’s Goddard Institute for Space Studies announced that last month was the warmest October on record, surprising meteorologists who had seen colder temperatures and unseasonal snowstorms and wondered where all the heat originated:
GISS’s computerised temperature maps seemed to show readings across a large part of Russia had been up to 10 degrees higher than normal. But when expert readers of the two leading warming-sceptic blogs, Watts Up With That and Climate Audit, began detailed analysis of the GISS data they made an astonishing discovery. The reason for the freak figures was that scores of temperature records from Russia and elsewhere were not based on October readings at all. Figures from the previous month had simply been carried over and repeated two months running.
The error was so glaring that when it was reported on the two blogs – run by the US meteorologist Anthony Watts and Steve McIntyre, the Canadian computer analyst who won fame for his expert debunking of the notorious “hockey stick” graph – GISS began hastily revising its figures. This only made the confusion worse because, to compensate for the lowered temperatures in Russia, GISS claimed to have discovered a new “hotspot” in the Arctic – in a month when satellite images were showing Arctic sea-ice recovering so fast from its summer melt that three weeks ago it was 30 per cent more extensive than at the same time last year.
When outside analysts showed that GISS used September temperatures in Russia for its conclusions about October, GISS admitted that it has no quality control over the numbers is uses for its analysis:
A GISS spokesman lamely explained that the reason for the error in the Russian figures was that they were obtained from another body, and that GISS did not have resources to exercise proper quality control over the data it was supplied with. This is an astonishing admission: the figures published by Dr Hansen’s institute are not only one of the four data sets that the UN’s Intergovernmental Panel on Climate Change (IPCC) relies on to promote its case for global warming, but they are the most widely quoted, since they consistently show higher temperatures than the others.
And Dr. James Hansen, one of Al Gore’s chief allies on his global-warming crusade, has cooked the books before, as have his associates:
Yet last week’s latest episode is far from the first time Dr Hansen’s methodology has been called in question. In 2007 he was forced by Mr Watts and Mr McIntyre to revise his published figures for US surface temperatures, to show that the hottest decade of the 20th century was not the 1990s, as he had claimed, but the 1930s.
Another of his close allies is Dr Rajendra Pachauri, chairman of the IPCC, who recently startled a university audience in Australia by claiming that global temperatures have recently been rising “very much faster” than ever, in front of a graph showing them rising sharply in the past decade. In fact, as many of his audience were aware, they have not been rising in recent years and since 2007 have dropped.
NASA must investigate this episode at GISS and insist on reliable production of accurate statistics. If they have scientists who can’t tell September from October and can’t recognize a cooling cycle in the Arctic, then they need new leadership at GISS, starting with Hansen. The admission from GISS that they can’t verify their source data when reaching to conclusions should embarrass scientists throughout the profession, as verification of data is absolutely necessary before reaching any conclusions. Without that, GISS may as well be studying the entrails of goats to make predictions about the future climate

Even Phil Jones, the CRU director at the centre of last year's 'Climategate' leaked email scandal, was forced to admit in a littlenoticed BBC online interview that there has been 'no statistically significant warming' since 1995.

The climate campaigners don’t even bother to disguise their main agenda anymore. The German newspaper Neue Zurcher Zeitung observed two weeks ago: “The next world climate summit in Cancun is actually an economy summit during which the distribution of the world’s resources will be negotiated.” What prompted this conclusion was a candid admission from a U.N. official closely involved with the climate negotiations, German economist Ottmar Edenhoffer: “But one must say clearly that we redistribute de facto the world’s wealth by climate policy. Obviously, the owners of coal and oil will not be enthusiastic about this. One has to free oneself from the illusion that international climate policy is environmental policy. This has almost nothing to do with environmental policy anymore.”

Last edited by scottw; 12-08-2010 at 08:30 AM..
Old 12-08-2010, 08:48 AM   #18
Fly Rod

My thermometer today does not show me that we are in a grobal warming trend, Burrrrrrrrrr.
Old 12-08-2010, 09:01 AM   #19
PaulS

Daily/Monthly average temp. is "weather" not climate change. Check out the average yearly/decade temps here

Climate Change and Global Warming Causes - Koshland Science Museum
Old 12-08-2010, 09:02 AM   #20
scottw

Global Warming belongs in a museum....

Here are some of the hilarious, spectacularly wrong predictions made on the occasion of Earth Day 1970.

“We have about five more years at the outside to do something.”
• Kenneth Watt, ecologist

“Civilization will end within 15 or 30 years unless immediate action is taken against problems facing mankind.”
• George Wald, Harvard Biologist

“We are in an environmental crisis which threatens the survival of this nation, and of the world as a suitable place of human habitation.”
• Barry Commoner, Washington University biologist

“Man must stop pollution and conserve his resources, not merely to enhance existence but to save the race from intolerable deterioration and possible extinction.”
• New York Times editorial, the day after the first Earth Day

“Population will inevitably and completely outstrip whatever small increases in food supplies we make. The death rate will increase until at least 100-200 million people per year will be starving to death during the next ten years.”
• Paul Ehrlich, Stanford University biologist

“By…[1975] some experts feel that food shortages will have escalated the present level of world hunger and starvation into famines of unbelievable proportions. Other experts, more optimistic, think the ultimate food-population collision will not occur until the decade of the 1980s.”

“It is already too late to avoid mass starvation.”
• Denis Hayes, chief organizer for Earth Day

“Demographers agree almost unanimously on the following grim timetable: by 1975 widespread famines will begin in India; these will spread by 1990 to include all of India, Pakistan, China and the Near East, Africa. By the year 2000, or conceivably sooner, South and Central America will exist under famine conditions….By the year 2000, thirty years from now, the entire world, with the exception of Western Europe, North America, and Australia, will be in famine.”
• Peter Gunter, professor, North Texas State University

“Scientists have solid experimental and theoretical evidence to support…the following predictions: In a decade, urban dwellers will have to wear gas masks to survive air pollution…by 1985 air pollution will have reduced the amount of sunlight reaching earth by one half….”
• Life Magazine, January 1970

“At the present rate of nitrogen buildup, it’s only a matter of time before light will be filtered out of the atmosphere and none of our land will be usable.”
• Kenneth Watt, Ecologist

Stanford's Paul Ehrlich announces that the sky is falling.
“Air pollution…is certainly going to take hundreds of thousands of lives in the next few years alone.”

“We are prospecting for the very last of our resources and using up the nonrenewable things many times faster than we are finding new ones.”
• Martin Litton, Sierra Club director

“By the year 2000, if present trends continue, we will be using up crude oil at such a rate…that there won’t be any more crude oil. You’ll drive up to the pump and say, `Fill ‘er up, buddy,’ and he’ll say, `I am very sorry, there isn’t any.’”
• Kenneth Watt, Ecologist

“Dr. S. Dillon Ripley, secretary of the Smithsonian Institute, believes that in 25 years, somewhere between 75 and 80 percent of all the species of living animals will be extinct.”
• Sen. Gaylord Nelson

“The world has been chilling sharply for about twenty years. If present trends continue, the world will be about four degrees colder for the global mean temperature in 1990, but eleven degrees colder in the year 2000. This is about twice what it would take to put us into an ice age.”• Kenneth Watt, Ecologist

Last edited by scottw; 12-08-2010 at 09:20 AM..
Old 12-08-2010, 10:06 AM   #21
PaulS

Chas or Neal Boortz?
Old 12-10-2010, 10:01 AM   #22
scottw

you just cannot make this stuff up

As negotiators from nearly 200 countries met in Cancun to strategize ways to keep the planet from getting hotter, the temperature in the seaside Mexican city plunged to a 100-year record low of 54° F. Climate-change skeptics are gleefully calling Cancun’s weather the latest example of the “Gore Effect” — a plunge in temperature they say occurs wherever former Vice President Al Gore, now a Nobel Prize-winning environmental activist, makes a speech about the climate or the UN meets to discuss Global Warming.……
Old 12-10-2010, 10:17 AM   #23
PaulS

so you believe that the weather on a certain day is indicitive of a trend that is going on across the planet
Old 12-10-2010, 10:31 AM   #24
scottw

I believe that a one hundred year low temperature is not indicative of a warming trend, much less...catastrophic warming

and of course, makes the scam much more difficult to sell

next year they should just head straight for the equator...

Last edited by scottw; 12-10-2010 at 10:49 AM..