Striper Talk Striped Bass Fishing, Surfcasting, Boating

Left Nav S-B Home Register FAQ Members List S-B on Facebook Arcade WEAX Tides Buoys Calendar Today's Posts Right Nav

Left Container Right Container

Go Back   Striper Talk Striped Bass Fishing, Surfcasting, Boating » Build Stuff: Custom Plug & Lure Building, Rod Building » Plug Building - Got Wood?

Plug Building - Got Wood? Got Plug?

Old 04-17-2009, 09:55 PM   #31
Slipknot
Super Moderator

well,if you ever watched baitfish swimming in current you'd see that their wiggle is almost non=existant, just a tight wiggle from their tail if you can even see it. Unlike a fish wandering around in relative calm water where you can clearly see the swimming action.
Slipknot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2009, 07:14 AM   #32
Tagger
Hydro Orientated Lures

Quote:
Originally Posted by stripermaineiac View Post
Well the trailer spent a lot of time this side of the Canal. Mostly in a couple of the camp grounds. by the time the 60's came around he spent almost as much time in his van on the road as the trailer. He was also traveling a lot more by then also. Bob had several models out by 47. One marked Pond pending another Atom pending and some marked pat pending. The lighter one had the ist lips that were hand bent and weren.t stamped. It took a couple yrs for the bugs to get worked out of the stamping.The glass eyed ones realy did exist and the eyes were the same as the Creek Chub pikies. There's only a handfull of them out there. The one you have on the right is from the van but he also made the other in it once things got going. The P-40 was the lure that took the winning fish in the 46 derby or the 47. Bob even put an insert in the plugs in 47 advertising this.Every vehicle Bob owned was a rolling plug shop loaded with plugs to fill orders ang others to try. The 40's led to the 2 hook juniors. then came the small reverse witch turned to the 40 reverse shortly after he turned to plastic.Many of the early plugs had no weight in them at all. As it is now there are so many shades ,colors ,weights ,models and sizes that is hard to say if all can be collected. If some one came to Bob with an idea eventually he made it for them.I have over 2 dozen different p-40's .Ad to this the 51's,reverse,juniors,eel skin models,popers,splashers,talkin,spittin,lure ali,metals,jigs,and well you get the idea Bob tried just about everything.The fun part is matching the boxes to the lures of the time as he also switched them as supplies ran out. But If I can I'll get as many as possible in display cases by the next plugfest
Cool ... I've heard he worked out of the trailer ,and also heard the van .. So it was both .. the trailer and the van .. Sounds like much simpler times ..
Tagger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2009, 10:39 AM   #33
Canalman
Calling Jon The Fisherman

Quote:
Originally Posted by Slipknot View Post
well,if you ever watched baitfish swimming in current you'd see that their wiggle is almost non=existant, just a tight wiggle from their tail if you can even see it. Unlike a fish wandering around in relative calm water where you can clearly see the swimming action.
This is where I have derrived that theory from. Peering over the edge of a herring run and watching them swim. This is also why I detest rattling plugs, they excite the hell out of little fish, but I think (and what the hell do I know) that big fish know better. I guess the lesson is (if there even is one) that the more you add or build into your plug that doesn't act, sound or move like a real fish, the less your chances are of connecting with a bigger, seasoned fish.

Surf Asylum Lures, Custom Lures for the "Committed"
Official S-B Sponsor
Canalman is offline   Reply With Quote