Striper Talk Striped Bass Fishing, Surfcasting, Boating

Left Nav S-B Home Register FAQ Members List S-B on Facebook Arcade WEAX Tides Buoys Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Right Nav

Left Container Right Container

Go Back   Striper Talk Striped Bass Fishing, Surfcasting, Boating » Striper Chat - Discuss stuff other than fishing ~ The Scuppers and Political talk » DIY - Forum

DIY - Forum Do It Yourself for Non-Fishing Items

Old 03-27-2013, 06:56 PM   #1
Saltheart

What's the best windows now.

First everyone wanted Anderson , then it was Pella , what's considered the best windows now..both new construction and replacement?

Saltheart
Custom Crafted Rods by Saltheart
Saltheart is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2013, 07:13 PM   #2
nightfighter
Seldom Seen

Stay the eff away from pella.......

I like Andersen esp their 400 series, and Marvins. Marvin also has a mid range called Infinity.
nightfighter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2013, 08:04 PM   #3
Hookedagain

I put 15 Anderson 400 series in my house and have been very happy with them. I ordered the from the Depot and had them delivered right to my house direct. My windows are special order, 3 over 1. White vinyl outer and natural wood inside. around $400 each.
Hookedagain is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2013, 08:42 PM   #4
Saltheart

Whats the difference between the 400 series and the 200 series Anderson's?

Saltheart
Old 03-27-2013, 08:51 PM   #5
Slipknot
Super Moderator

Jeld-Wen are pretty decent for the money

I am partial to Marvin but they are not what they used to be

I have Harvey Industries - Majestic windows in my house , they are aluminum clad out and real wood inside.

The United States Constitution does not exist to grant you rights; those rights are inherent within you. Rather it exists to frame a limited government so that those natural rights can be exercised freely.

1984 was a warning, not a guidebook!

It's time more people spoke up with the truth. Every time we let a leftist lie go uncorrected, the commies get stronger.
Slipknot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2013, 08:52 PM   #6
Slipknot
Super Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by nightfighter View Post
Stay the eff away from pella.......

I like Andersen esp their 400 series, and Marvins. Marvin also has a mid range called Infinity.
I thought it was Integrity

The United States Constitution does not exist to grant you rights; those rights are inherent within you. Rather it exists to frame a limited government so that those natural rights can be exercised freely.

1984 was a warning, not a guidebook!

It's time more people spoke up with the truth. Every time we let a leftist lie go uncorrected, the commies get stronger.
Slipknot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2013, 09:00 PM   #7
Fishpart
Keep The Change

Quote:
Originally Posted by Saltheart View Post
Whats the difference between the 400 series and the 200 series Anderson's?
400 is tilt wash. My house has 200 series since 1974. Replaced the sashes in08 because the gas had leaked out after 20 years or so. Good windows far as I can tell glad I didnt cave for vinyl...
Posted from my iPhone/Mobile device

“It’s not up to the courts to invent new minorities that get special protections,” Antonin Scalia
Fishpart is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2013, 09:00 PM   #8
nightfighter
Seldom Seen

Quote:
Originally Posted by Slipknot View Post
I thought it was Integrity
You are right....

Mike,
The 400 series have smoother operating balusters, block more noise, and offer more options. If you are going to paint the interior, get them factory primed.
Old 03-27-2013, 09:42 PM   #9
BigFish
BigFish Bait Co.

Send a message via AIM to BigFish
We have been putting Anderson 400 series in the house and they are awesome!!!

Almost time to get our fish on!!!
BigFish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2013, 06:44 AM   #10
Mr. Sandman

I have Anderson through-out my home and the crank mechanism to open them sucks. Several have broken (gears stripped). They were put in when the house was built in 2000. I removed the crank and they no longer sell the part. I can not tell you how PO'ed I was.

I can tell you I will not use them in the future.
Mr. Sandman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2013, 07:25 AM   #11
BigFish
BigFish Bait Co.

Send a message via AIM to BigFish
We have Anderson double hung and Pella casements....the Pellas are awesome!!! No crank issues at all with those! Looked at the Anderson and the Marvin casement windows.....did not care for the quality at all.

Almost time to get our fish on!!!
BigFish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2013, 03:18 PM   #12
Saltheart

I had problems with crank windows for years. Now its sliders for special apps but regular double hung wherever possible. I currently have a 48 year old Bay window with crank sides that will never open but I plan to replace it with a flat slider. This will give me the "picture" window look but no bow out under the soffets which leads to ice dam issues.

Saltheart
Old 03-29-2013, 03:29 PM   #13
Fishpart
Keep The Change

Mike, they make bays with double hungs on the sides. I have three no problem. Gives the cat a place to spend the day and watch the world. Insulation will fix the ice issue.

“It’s not up to the courts to invent new minorities that get special protections,” Antonin Scalia
Fishpart is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2013, 04:41 PM   #14
nightfighter
Seldom Seen

Big bay windows need to be supported with aircraft cables. If not, they eventually sag, and the side windows get out of square, which is why they don't operate as they should. Can also support with knees and/or box frame under the window. I have fixed bays without replacing by jacking until plumb and square, then installing the knees under the sill. Measure both diagonals to see if square.
Old 03-29-2013, 08:41 PM   #15
Saltheart

The one I have has the supports underneath. After almost 50 years its pretty shot though. The sides don't crank , the putty is all falling out (I re corlked ) its single pane glass so it probably costs me $300 a year in lost heat...time to go.

Funny you should mention the cat ED. When i was doing more jewelry craft i once made my first cat a 3.5 carat citrine pendant set in 14 Kt gold. She had yellow eyes and when she sat on the bay window sill at night in the pitch black you could see the light from a street light reflecting off her. In the darkness you could see 2 yellow relections off her eyes and a third, in the middle below, reflecting off her citrine gem pendent which hung off her collar. Whenever I took her to the vet , the vet and all her assistants would all come to see her and admire her 3.5 carat gemstone.

Saltheart
Old 03-30-2013, 05:20 AM   #16
Grapenuts

[QUOTE=Mr. Sandman;991807]I have Anderson through-out my home and the crank mechanism to open them sucks. Several have broken (gears stripped). They were put in when the house was built in 2000. I removed the crank and they no longer sell the part. I can not tell you how PO'ed I was.

I can tell you I will not use them in the future.[/QUOTE

They sell the handle.crank and arm as one unit...I just replace a few on some old wood frame andersons....the hardware was 175.00...still cheaper then buying a new window.
Grapenuts is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2013, 01:13 PM   #17
Swimmer
Retired Surfer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr. Sandman View Post
I have Anderson through-out my home and the crank mechanism to open them sucks. Several have broken (gears stripped). They were put in when the house was built in 2000. I removed the crank and they no longer sell the part. I can not tell you how PO'ed I was.

I can tell you I will not use them in the future.

I love my Anderson's as well, with the exception of the cranking issues. I only have two of those however. I thrink the more you use the crank the easier it is to work.

Swimmer a.k.a. YO YO MA
Serial Mailbox Killer/Seal Fisherman
Swimmer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2013, 11:33 AM   #18
rphud
GrandBob

I am in Larry's camp on this one, but it has been a while since I bought either and I did just get a class action settlement notice on my Pella I last bought.
rphud is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2013, 08:38 PM   #19
Pete F.
Canceled

Marvin Integrity is a wood ultrex window and the Infinity is all ultrex. Ultrex is their pultruded fiberglass. I have discussed this with a number of people in the industry and the consensus is that in the next decade pultruded fiberglass will be THE window material. Just like boats, wood is nice but the maintenance eventually kills you. Vinyl oxidizes and cracks. Putting in aluminum coating on the outside is a little better but aluminum and wood have very different expansion rates due to temperature. Wood, vinyl, aluminum all have very different expansion rates than glass but pultruded fiberglass and glass are very close to the same. Right now Marvin has the best deal I have found on FG windows.

Frasier: Niles, I’ve just had the most marvelous idea for a website! People will post their opinions, cheeky bon mots, and insights, and others will reply in kind!

Niles: You have met “people”, haven’t you?

Lets Go Darwin
Pete F. is offline   Reply With Quote