Striper Talk Striped Bass Fishing, Surfcasting, Boating

Left Nav S-B Home Register FAQ Members List S-B on Facebook Arcade WEAX Tides Buoys Calendar Today's Posts Right Nav

Left Container Right Container

Go Back   Striper Talk Striped Bass Fishing, Surfcasting, Boating » Striper Chat - Discuss stuff other than fishing ~ The Scuppers and Political talk » Political Threads

Political Threads This section is for Political Threads - Enter at your own risk. If you say you don't want to see what someone posts - don't read it :hihi:

Old 03-08-2009, 08:58 PM   #1
spence

Good David Frum piece

Funny how my favorite political reads happen to be Davids...Frum on the Right and Corn on the Left.

Here's a great David Frum opinion on the recent Rush Limbaugh exposure and comments on the GOP. Good stuff...

http://www.newsweek.com/id/188279/page/1

-spence
Old 03-09-2009, 09:57 AM   #2
fishbones

Good article, Spence. It's too bad Limbaugh's such a tool because if you can sift through some of his rants, he occasionally has some insightful comments. I think he isolates a lot of conservatives because of his brashness and willingness to speak his mind. But I guess the brashness and controversy equals ratings for him.

Conservatism is not about leaving people behind. Conservatism is about empowering people to catch up, to give them tools at their disposal that make it possible for them to access all the hope, all the promise, all the opportunity that America offers. - Marco Rubio
Old 03-09-2009, 10:41 AM   #3
buckman

I think it's a case of the left taking someone they know people can grow to dislike, Rush Limbaugh this time and using talking points to hang that around the neck of the Republicans. It's been done before, Newt comes to mind. I would hope Obama has more important stuff on his plate. It's sophomorish at best.
Old 03-09-2009, 11:11 AM   #4
spence

Quote:
Originally Posted by buckman View Post
I think it's a case of the left taking someone they know people can grow to dislike, Rush Limbaugh this time and using talking points to hang that around the neck of the Republicans. It's been done before, Newt comes to mind. I would hope Obama has more important stuff on his plate. It's sophomorish at best.
Sophomorish? Sounds like you're whining to me

-spence
Old 03-09-2009, 11:29 AM   #5
Bronko

Quote:
Originally Posted by buckman View Post
You are exactly right, they employed the same strategy with Newt. Its a slight of hand to turn the attention away from the complete sh*tstorm Obama is building. A cheap trick and a parlor game that will be exposed and forgotten quickly. People's sinking 401k's and their devastated retirement funds will command more attention than a GOP blowhard pundit.

I heard a talking head this weekend say Obama has taken an economy on the brink of disaster and managed to turn it into an unmitigated catastrophe.

The charm of fishing is that it is the pursuit of what is elusive but attainable, a perpetual series of occasions for hope. ~John Buchan
Old 03-09-2009, 01:03 PM   #6
detbuch

Quote:
Originally Posted by spence View Post
Funny how my favorite political reads happen to be Davids...Frum on the Right and Corn on the Left.

Here's a great David Frum opinion on the recent Rush Limbaugh exposure and comments on the GOP. Good stuff...

http://www.newsweek.com/id/188279/page/1

-spence
That large well-cropped photo that led the article hit me like a punch. At first glance, I didn't recognize Rush, probably because his baldness is missing. I suppose I instinctively imagined a full head of the same whitish hair as the sideburns and was looking at a photo of the oft-ranting Ted Kennedy. I kid you not. The resemblence, though fleeting, is there. I was seriously into photography at one time and know well the propoganda uses to which it has been put. The photo fit the article well. I had to chuckle at the last paragraph talking about the large number of Republicans in Pennsylvania switching to the Dem party because Repubs had become too extreme. AND THE DEMOCRATS ARE NOT?