Striper Talk Striped Bass Fishing, Surfcasting, Boating

Left Nav S-B Home Register FAQ Members List S-B on Facebook Arcade WEAX Tides Buoys Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Right Nav

Left Container Right Container

Go Back   Striper Talk Striped Bass Fishing, Surfcasting, Boating » Main Forum » Meet & Greet Forum

Meet & Greet Forum S-B is an online Community dedicated to angling for Striped Bass. Come in, say hello and tell us a little bit about you. Thanks! Team Striped-Bass.com

Old 01-01-2010, 07:23 PM   #1
empirekitchen
snappacatcha

Smile Hi from Wellington New Zealand

This is a great site , found it last night . We are into sea fishing as there are only trout in New Zealands waterways , but on chatting to someone this morning I have been told that there arew BIG catfish that got released a few years ago in a couple of our bigger rivers . Dont know how big "big " is but I will find out . We live in Makara , a small rural village 10km from the Capital . Awesome fishing , and diving . Lots of Crayfish (boring to dive for but not bad eating) and when the water warms up (shortly) the pelagics start coming closer to shore . We fish off a 4.m aluminium pontoon boat and do very well . Our TARGET is snapper but they dont grow as big as the ones I googled you guys catch off the oilrigs . If anyone is heading our way give us a call , we are not pros , but can point you the right way , and if the weather is good we dont mind a tagalong . BTW anyone got a lefty curado 301 or similar they would be prepared to sell us ?? Will try to add photos , but have not worked out how yet , and the teenager computer guru is not home . Regards Hans
empirekitchen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2010, 07:37 PM   #2
eastendlu

Hello Hans and welcome.One of these days i want to take my wife to your Country for a nice long trip.I will be bringing my fishing gear.

Originally Posted by Flaptail
"Throw plugs like we do that will cause them to suffer humility. Pogies make any fisherman look good when bass are around. Bait is easy."
eastendlu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2010, 07:56 PM   #3
ProfessorM
Uncle Remus

welcome

"A beach is a place where a man can feel he's the only soul in the world that's real"
ProfessorM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2010, 08:06 PM   #4
MarshCappa
Marcia! Marcia! Marcia!

Welcome!

"Sunshine Day Dream"
MarshCappa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2010, 10:01 PM   #5
numbskull
Oblivious // Grunt, Grunt Master

Nice of you to drop in.
numbskull is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2010, 02:52 AM   #6
empirekitchen
snappacatcha

Hi , weather deteriorating , 120 km winds and 80 mm of rain predicted overnight , no fishing tomorrow , bugger !Never mind .... Had fresh tarakihi for dinner . BTW does anyone have the specs for an Abu Garcia Ambassadeur MAG plus XT , was wondering what its drag capacity was , and the bearing type it came out with as a std ie s/steel . A mate wants to use it for marine fishing , and I dont think it will be "waterproof " enough . Thanks
Old 01-02-2010, 07:14 AM   #7
Raven

Arrow WELCOME E>K>

Glad to see some off landers about

i made a photo pictorial on how to post pics for
people finding it challenging the first time

best way is too have them off site (Not on your PC)
somewhere
like photobucket so you can "direct link" to them
that way they appear full size instead of a thumbnail

http://www.striped-bass.com/Stripert...-pictures.html
Raven is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2010, 12:12 PM   #8
Swimmer
Retired Surfer

Hey Wellington

Welcome

Swimmer a.k.a. YO YO MA
Serial Mailbox Killer/Seal Fisherman
Swimmer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2010, 02:11 AM   #9
empirekitchen
snappacatcha

Thanks for the welcome , Raven youre a legend , photos coming . BTW Anyone have a curado 301 lying around unused , and we were talking about " ice fishing " today , which is quite humorous considering that today is about 28c . Would anyone have a video of how its done or a link to somewhere . Regards Hans
Old 01-04-2010, 06:44 AM   #10
Raven

15 degrees here ..... so cold it keeps you inside
but the Blizzard is over ........
and today the sun will shine....
Old 01-04-2010, 07:47 AM   #11
JohnR
Certifiable Intertidal Anguiologist

-5 Celsius (feels like -11 with the wind). No ice fishing today
Hans, welcome to the other side of the world

~Fix the Bait~ ~Pogies Forever~

Striped Bass Fishing - All Stripers

Kobayashi Maru Election - there is no way to win.

Apocalypse is Coming:
JohnR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2010, 07:51 AM   #12
PRBuzz
BuzzLuck

Send a message via Skype™ to PRBuzz
Need to conform to METRIC scale on this thread so as to talk same language.

Welcome Hans.

Given the diversity of the human species, there is no “normal” human genome sequence. We are all mutants.
PRBuzz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2010, 09:00 AM   #13
PaulS

Welcome Hans. Did you wait to join until we're in the middle of winter and your in the middle of summer to make us more miserable.
PaulS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2010, 10:39 PM   #14
antz

Hello

Hello all,

Just joined this forum, Hans do you surfcast anywhere in the wellington region? Im from out in the lower hutt area, no pro at fishing but enjoy always have fun, If so where abouts do you go? I sometimes hit Lake Ferry, and have tried Wainuiomata coast, I don't really know any other beaches that are good

If anyone knows any good areas for surf casting let me know
antz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2010, 11:33 PM   #15
empirekitchen
snappacatcha

hmm a fellow kiwi !1 We had a great day , went south of boom rock 25 m of water got in before the northerly hit , boat in by 06.15 got 15 terries biggest very respectable 2.2 kg , by 11.30 it would have come up to 15 gusting 25 , got soaked getting home . One snapper 2.9 kg . Surfcasting is a pain , getting too old , boat is much better . We live in makara, what made you join this site ?? I am a left hander and sick of the bull%$%$%$%$ about ..... oh we need to order it , it will take 6 weeks , but we want a 50% deposit ( non refundable of course) I was hoping some of these nice guys would help me find a shimano curado 301, a 201 and a calcutta 301 . Am working on the wife at the moment , she gave me the " you only have 2 hands but 6 reels , why ?????? " Women just dont understand ! I felt like saying yeah , you have 10 pots , but only use 2 at a time ... but was not game enough .. thought it will be takeaways for a week or 2 . Anyway congrats on joining , and if anyone out there has any LEFT HAND reels of what I am after please let me know , I am not a conartist ( not too many kiwi bull%$%$%$%$ artists out there actually ) Regards Hans
Old 01-08-2010, 11:56 PM   #16
empirekitchen
snappacatcha

Hey Paul , no never thought of the weather bit , but be happy , in the last 4 weeks we have had 3 x 1/2 days before the wind got too strong . This year is THE WORST for wind where we are . They are predicting 120 km/hr winds for tomorrow afternoon , which is not HUGE but fishing is definitely out ! One of the other forum members sent me a video of ice fishing . The guy had this sled that popped up into a little shed , heater , bar , the whole deal . Love it !!!1 I think I need to go to the States , some of these muskys (?) and striped bass sound like fun ! Best thing I like about it it seems a lot less stressful than out our way , with wind , tide and swell to deal with . My mate Des was sick as a dog today , forgot to take his Pahia Bomb seasick tablets , anyway dinner's up , terrie fillets , scallops and paua (abalone to you guys) steaks , ( thats the entree by the way ) and Crayfish ( lobster??) for the main course , and the whole deal was $20 in gas . See you all , and dont forget anyone with a curado 301 they are prepared to part with ..... RegardsHans PSPSPS Can you add photos to these posts , and if so How ?
Old 01-09-2010, 01:22 AM   #17
empirekitchen
snappacatcha

A big thanks Raven , even a fossil (technologically speaking only) has managed to add the photos with your step at a time tutorial . Having a spot of bother actually trying to find the photos I wanted to add , so just threw a few on for the moment , regards Hans
Old 01-09-2010, 06:25 AM   #18
Raven

Thumbs up Good GOD

it's a Bloody Invasion of Kiwi's....

John S-B has Antz running around now

Empire ...........Glad to be of service MATE !
Old 01-09-2010, 07:22 AM   #19
empirekitchen
snappacatcha

hey raven , and you know what ?? I bet neither of us would know what a striped bass was if it slapped us in the face ! BUT al fishermen are basically the same DNA . I probably only know 2 or 3 who I would not pi-s on if they were on fire ! Apart from the constant exaggeration of the truth (which comes with the territory , after all the fish is the only one of Gods creatures that GROWS after death ) , all fishermen are GOOD GUYS .
Old 01-10-2010, 06:10 AM   #20
Raven

well thats something everyone at S-B

would love to change...

so ....keep us entertained with Photo's especially
(stories)
of your fishing

Adventures while we ........shiver our timbers
Old 01-10-2010, 06:12 AM   #21
Raven

well thats something everyone at S-B

would love to change...

so ....keep us entertained with Photo's especially
(stories)
of your fishing Adventures while we

........shiver our timbers
Old 01-12-2010, 02:57 AM   #22
empirekitchen
snappacatcha

Photos coming Raven , when I can get the teenager to E.X.P.L.A.I. N how to do it rather than Blast through it , do it and I am NO WISER as to how to do it than before ! It really pis....s me off . I am sure I did not treat my father like that ! But then we did not have computers . Anyway I need help here ! I want to list(?) a thread about buying reels . I need about 6-8 rh and 3-4 lh , they have to be mainstream shimano tica daiwa as opposed to cabelas , pflueger, basspro (we wont be able to get bits for them here) I take old blokes out fishing (whose sons should be doing that but too busy >>>>)and ratherthan using different reels all the time want to give thema reel and its their one , they can set the drag and nobody will muck around with them... Now they have to be in the larger baitcaster sizes shimano 200/201 or 300/301, calcuttas ( the 401is probably getting a bit big ) I had a few penn 320 gti's but they are too heavy for them . We are SALT WATER fishing here , so no magnesium... Can you please put the word out , , and reply here or email me direct , dont know how to receive a PM or clear one if I do get one , actually better still send me one and reply here how I retreive it ( In good plain english pls ). I dont want a hand out here but would hope nobody will unload their broken stuff on me either Regards Hans
Old 01-12-2010, 03:01 AM   #23
empirekitchen
snappacatcha

PS can I add photos here or do they need to be placed in my "members picture album" ??
Old 01-12-2010, 11:31 AM   #24
Raven

Thumbs up nope

to send or receive a PM message just click the USER CP
cp is for control panel... it's up top there on yer left ... then look on the left side again for where you click send message... list message ect.

to send photos

Old 01-12-2010, 11:40 AM   #25
PRBuzz
BuzzLuck

Quote:
Originally Posted by empirekitchen View Post
PS can I add photos here or do they need to be placed in my "members picture album" ??
When posting, look at the menu's below and see section of ATTACH FILES, "Manage Attachments"? Click on this link which takes you to the options to upload photos, there are limitations to file type (.jpg, .pdf, .bmp, .gif, etc) and file size limits. Good luck.

When replying to a post: click on "Go Advanced" to get a similar list of options for uploading.

Given the diversity of the human species, there is no “normal” human genome sequence. We are all mutants.
Old 01-12-2010, 11:40 AM   #26
Raven

Thumbs up

GOT YA MATE
Quote:
We live in Makara , a small rural village 10km from the Capital .
Awesome fishing , and diving .
Lots of Crayfish (boring to dive for but not bad eating) and when the water warms up
(shortly) the pelagics start coming closer to shore .
makes my mouth WATER just lookin at it.
Old 01-16-2010, 03:30 AM   #27
empirekitchen
snappacatcha

Yes thats it and if you google earth it , we are at 407 makara road above the first a of te Ikaamaru Bay , theres a fire going , man its freezing ( figuratively ) it about 9 c but the winds doing 120 gusting 140 km/hr , the house is shaking ! The weather is that CRAP that I worked in the joinery shop all day today , and I have not done a saturday for at least 5 yrs except just before xmas . Do you guys have that problem too or is it just the disorganised Kiwis ?? Leave everything to thew last minute , and then %$%$%$%$E we need to get the kitchen renovated ... Like man youve had all year to get it sorted . This year was really bad for the last minute ordering . Anyway no fishing till at least wednesday . If you google" Makara Wellington " the first hit is some photos from a bloke Robert Catto , open the photos , look at the second to last R00123620, you will see on the shoreline on the far side of the bay some baches (like basic houses , no power phone tv (we are the only ones with a flushing toilet !!) Ours is the second little white dot from left . There are 8 in the left cluster and 4 in the next lot to the right . Very private , sea is 20 yards from the bach door !! The key is yours , when are you coming over !! Even give you a 12 footer with a 9.9 johnnie so you dont have to row too much! Hows that for a bit of kiwi hospitality . The bach is at 41deg 12'42.10"S 174deg 43'06.30"E and the boat shed is the one with the rusty roof between the bach and the water , that reminds me , needs a new roof ... Hmm another non fishing related job .. Next week !! Any way where are you Raven ?
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 11986289.jpg (50.9 KB, 5 views)
Old 01-16-2010, 03:38 AM   #28
empirekitchen
snappacatcha

Oh I stun myself with my cunning !!! With your 30 second tutorial look what Ive done !!! Thats a photo from our bach looking SSW dont know how to make the photo bigger but that "cloud bank" in the background right half is actually the south island . Magic place when its like that but I will send you a "bad weather photo " PS anyone got ANY baitcasters for sale need 6-8 r/h and 3-4 lh , for my "old mates" fishing club that I help on . I dont mind paying , not expecting a hand out , and they will go to a GOOD HOME What Have You , See ya Raven et al , off to bed after my coffee , regards Hans
Old 01-16-2010, 03:44 AM   #29
Raven

Arrow

Quote:
. Very private , sea is 20 yards from the back door !! The key is yours , when are you coming over !! Even give you a 12 footer with a 9.9 johnnie so you dont have to row too much! Hows that for a bit of kiwi hospitality ?
Let the drooling begin,,,, PARTY in KiWi land ....

i'll git back to you on that question...
Old 01-16-2010, 08:12 AM   #30
PRBuzz
BuzzLuck

Hans,

Looks looks you have some great ocean structure to your SE? The "A" marks your location.

This is what I turned up in Google Earth for 407 Makara.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg nz.jpg (65.8 KB, 6 views)
File Type: jpg 407makara.jpg (87.6 KB, 7 views)