Striper Talk Striped Bass Fishing, Surfcasting, Boating

Left Nav S-B Home Register FAQ Members List S-B on Facebook Arcade WEAX Tides Buoys Calendar Today's Posts Right Nav

Left Container Right Container

Go Back   Striper Talk Striped Bass Fishing, Surfcasting, Boating » Striper Chat - Discuss stuff other than fishing ~ The Scuppers and Political talk » Political Threads

Political Threads This section is for Political Threads - Enter at your own risk. If you say you don't want to see what someone posts - don't read it :hihi:

Old 04-30-2020, 11:26 AM   #1
Pete F.
Canceled

Testing: The Way Out of This Trap

One of the less helpful aspects of our current quandary is the shrill argument between two closed-minded camps. One condemns those who wish to open up the economy as science-defying ghouls who care nothing for human life. The other depicts the stay-at-homes as economic saboteurs willing to destroy the national economy in the name of unobtainable safety.

Neither reckons with the indispensable bridge — the testing problem. Whatever mayors, governors, or presidents might say, we cannot restart the economy as long as people are too frightened to resume working, shopping, and socializing. An NPR/Marist poll found that 65 percent of Americans believe that it would be a “bad idea” to have people return to work until further testing is available, and 80 percent say the same about eating in restaurants. Even larger majorities oppose opening schools or sporting events.

You need to click on the link to find out how she suggest getting out of this.

https://eppc.org/publications/testin...-of-this-trap/

How much would it cost? Between $50 and $300 billion over two years. But compared to what? The current lockdown regime is the costliest emergency of our lifetimes. The price we are paying now, including eye-popping outlays of up to $350 billion a month from the federal government (spiking our national debt to levels unseen since World War II), lost education for children, bankruptcies, diminishing mental health, overwhelmed soup kitchens, spikes in domestic violence, and more, is incalculable. This roadmap — or something like it — offers a lifeline.

Frasier: Niles, I’ve just had the most marvelous idea for a website! People will post their opinions, cheeky bon mots, and insights, and others will reply in kind!

Niles: You have met “people”, haven’t you?

Lets Go Darwin
Old 04-30-2020, 07:54 PM   #2
wdmso

President Trump says the US has carried out more tests than every other country in the world combined.

However, it's nowhere near as many as the rest of the world combined.

Just adding together the totals of Spain, Italy, Germany and the UK gives you more than the US

Another lie say it ain't so...
Posted from my iPhone/Mobile device
Old 05-01-2020, 11:47 AM   #3
Got Stripers
Ledge Runner Baits

Yesterday, Trump played his favorite game, spin the wheel of blame. Yesterday he landed on his favorite, the Obama administration. The crazy response was that Trump blamed Obama for inheriting faulty corona virus tests. When a reporter reminded him this virus is brand new therefore the tests couldn’t have existed, Trump doubled down (because he is never wrong) and said they inherited obsolete test kits. He never accepts responsibility for anything, but he knows how to play the blame game.
Old 05-01-2020, 12:34 PM   #4
Sea Dangles

Orangemanbad
Old 05-01-2020, 01:28 PM   #5
spence

Quote:
Originally Posted by Got Stripers View Post
Yesterday, Trump played his favorite game, spin the wheel of blame. Yesterday he landed on his favorite, the Obama administration. The crazy response was that Trump blamed Obama for inheriting faulty corona virus tests. When a reporter reminded him this virus is brand new therefore the tests couldn’t have existed, Trump doubled down (because he is never wrong) and said they inherited obsolete test kits. He never accepts responsibility for anything, but he knows how to play the blame game.
If you play the blame game long enough the virus will give up. Don't you understand this?
Old 05-02-2020, 04:31 AM   #6
scottw

Quote:

Yesterday, Trump played his favorite game, spin the wheel of blame. Yesterday he landed on his favorite, the Obama administration.
lots of irony here...
Old 05-02-2020, 07:03 AM   #7
Got Stripers
Ledge Runner Baits

I’m so glad the Trump family has our backs and delivers the truth regardless of how it appears, now Jared put the family touch and view in perspective. This success story is about to have a happy ending and he predicted that by July the entire country will be back to normal and the economy rocking. Good plan let’s put some fuel on the fire to insure that second peak is bigger and better than the first.
Old 05-02-2020, 07:17 AM   #8
scottw

I'll take positive thinking over relentless daily negativity
Old 05-02-2020, 07:25 AM   #9
Got Stripers
Ledge Runner Baits

Sadly his positive thinking and downplaying cost lives, if that had been one of your family member’s who ignored the warnings because our fearless leader wasn’t concerned your tune might different. There is a huge difference between the balance in truth and optimism portrayed by governors like Cuomo and Baker, Trump just has never been and never will be a leader.
Old 05-02-2020, 07:44 AM   #10
Sea Dangles

Some people go through life acting scared. Hiding from any all things they fear.🙄
Old 05-02-2020, 07:59 AM   #11
The Dad Fisherman
Super Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by scottw View Post
I'll take positive thinking over relentless daily negativity
Hope is so over rated

"If you're arguing with an idiot, make sure he isn't doing the same thing."
Old 05-02-2020, 08:09 AM   #12
scottw

Quote:

There is a huge difference between the balance in truth and optimism portrayed by governors like Cuomo and Baker, Trump just has never been and never will be a leader.
this is pretty funny...
Old 05-02-2020, 02:21 PM   #13
Got Stripers
Ledge Runner Baits

Quote:
Originally Posted by scottw View Post
this is pretty funny...
Talk about funny, or should I say sad, is that my mother in law got her $1200 stimulus check today, unfortunately she is six feet under and has been for years. Says right on the check next to her name deceased, only in this administration can we send out money to god knows how many dead. Hey the 60,000+ dead from this have something to look forward to, their kids will get their stimulus check, although cashing it probably costs you in the long run.
Old 05-02-2020, 03:16 PM   #14
Sea Dangles

Quote:
Talk about funny, or should I say sad, is that my mother in law got her $1200 stimulus check today, unfortunately she is six feet under and has been for years. Says right on the check next to her name deceased, only in this administration can we send out money to god knows how many dead. Hey the 60,000+ dead from this have something to look forward to, their kids will get their stimulus check, although cashing it probably costs you in the long run.
#orangemanbad

PRO CHOICE REPUBLICAN
Old 05-02-2020, 03:28 PM   #15
Pete F.
Canceled

Just wait a while

Frasier: Niles, I’ve just had the most marvelous idea for a website! People will post their opinions, cheeky bon mots, and insights, and others will reply in kind!

Niles: You have met “people”, haven’t you?

Lets Go Darwin
Old 05-02-2020, 03:35 PM   #16
scottw

Quote:
yes, cashing or attempting to cash a check that is not made out to you would be stupid....