Striper Talk Striped Bass Fishing, Surfcasting, Boating

Left Nav S-B Home Register FAQ Members List S-B on Facebook Arcade WEAX Tides Buoys Calendar Today's Posts Right Nav

Left Container Right Container

Go Back   Striper Talk Striped Bass Fishing, Surfcasting, Boating » Striper Chat - Discuss stuff other than fishing ~ The Scuppers and Political talk » Political Threads

Political Threads This section is for Political Threads - Enter at your own risk. If you say you don't want to see what someone posts - don't read it :hihi:

Old 01-31-2022, 01:42 PM   #31
wdmso

"The person I will nominate will be someone with extraordinary qualifications, character, experience and integrity.

that's fine for conservatives as long as you leave out Black because they think that's not possible ... as if Clarence Thomas was the best choice in his Day

Last edited by wdmso; 01-31-2022 at 02:01 PM..
Old 01-31-2022, 01:59 PM   #32
wdmso

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim in CT View Post
got through days of questioning, often without having to take notes. WOW so that qualifies you to be a SCJ Dianne Feinstein, who single handedly led the with hunt against Kavanaugh, was repeatedly impressed by her.

Got a full scholarship to Notre Dame law and taught there. Has taught at ND and at University of Virginia, which is a great school. Sotomayor entered Princeton University on a full scholarship do you have a point

Character? She adopted two children from Haiti, and is raising a kid with Downs, we all know what your side does to those kids. has nothing to do with her qualifications

Unlike Sotomayor, Barrett doesn't have a history of getting unanimously overturned by higher courts, nor has Barrettt ever said that judges of her race and gender make better judges (which is what Sotomayor once claimed). jim again do you do any research or are just a parrot Over her ten years on the Second Circuit, Sotomayor heard appeals in more than 3,000 cases and wrote about 380 opinions when she was in the majority.[13] The Supreme Court reviewed five of those, reversing three and affirming two[13]—not high numbers for an appellate judge of that many years[18] and a typical percentage of reversals.[113]

2 years On the Seventh Circuit, Barrett wrote 79 majority opinions

Barrett is a 48-year-old federal appeals court judge favored by social conservatives and the religious right.

But Jim wants us to think Trump picked her because she was the best for the Job
Old 01-31-2022, 02:01 PM   #33
PaulS

Quote:
I've said multiple times, it was stupid for Trump and Reagan to announce ahead of time they'd exclude ANYBODY based on race or gender. Fair enough? Maybe get the facts before you make demonstrably false and stupid assumptions. Go f yourself you angry dic k

I'm not a naked hypocrite Paul, I have principles that you don't agree with, but I apply them to both sides.No you don't.
Where is your thread crying about Reagan and Trump announcing it is wrong for them to consider only woman?
You don't have prinicples bc you didn't start a thread about Trump's saying the same thing that Biden did. Instead you got your panties in a bunch bc you saw that the faux news is crying about what Biden said.
Old 01-31-2022, 02:37 PM   #34
Jim in CT

Quote:
Originally Posted by PaulS View Post
You don't have prinicples bc you didn't start a thread about Trump's saying the same thing that Biden did. Instead you got your panties in a bunch bc you saw that the faux news is crying about what Biden said.
i said again and again and again, that’s it’s exactly as wrong when either side does it. then you act like i give the gop a free pass. don’t blame me for feeling foolish when i called you out for being as wrong as you could possibly be.

yes i’m the angry one. obviously. n. read your post again and tell
me how I’m angrier than you are?

you’re right i didn’t start a post when Trump did it. i’m so sorry. And the thread i started here, was a j-o-k-e. A harmless joke. and it broke your brain a little. because criticism of the left isnt allowed.

Politically, his is a smart move for Biden and the dems. But don’t tell
me it’s not discrimination.
Posted from my iPhone/Mobile device
Old 01-31-2022, 02:47 PM   #35
PaulS

Quote:
i said again and again and again, that’s it’s exactly as wrong when either side does it. then you act like i give the gop a free pass. don’t blame me for feeling foolish when i called you out for being as wrong as you could possibly be. Again, where is the thread?

yes i’m the angry one. obviously. n. read your post again and tell
me how I’m angrier than you are? I just fire back at your usual classless comments

you’re right i didn’t start a post when Trump did it. i’m so sorry. And the thread i started here, was a j-o-k-e. A harmless joke. and it broke your brain a little. because criticism of the left isnt allowed.

Politically, his is a smart move for Biden and the dems. But don’t tell
me it’s not discrimination.
It is no more discrimination that what Trump or Reagan did. There are multiple people who are qualified for the SC and blacks (and woman) are/were shut out for too long.
Old 01-31-2022, 02:58 PM   #36
Jim in CT

Quote:
Originally Posted by wdmso View Post
2 years On the Seventh Circuit, Barrett wrote 79 majority opinions

Barrett is a 48-year-old federal appeals court judge favored by social conservatives and the religious right.

But Jim wants us to think Trump picked her because she was the best for the Job
How many of Barrett's 79 majority opinions, were overturned by a higher court? That's a sincere question...

Sotomayor has repeatedly been overturned by the Supreme Court, when she was a lower justice. Once, she was overturned unanimously. That means everyone from Scalia to Ginsburg, and everyone in between, said she was wrong on the law. Which kind of means she wasn't great at being a lower court judge, doesn't it?.

Sotomayor also said that female hispanics make better judges than anyone else. That's what she said.

Oh, there were sleazy reasons why Trump picked Barrett. He knew a woman would drive the liberals bonkers and when they attacked her, it would show the world that they don't really care about women like they claim they do.
Old 01-31-2022, 02:59 PM   #37
Jim in CT

Quote:
Originally Posted by PaulS View Post
It is no more discrimination that what Trump or Reagan did. There are multiple people who are qualified for the SC and blacks (and woman) are/were shut out for too long.
"It is no more discrimination that what Trump or Reagan did. "

I agree.
Old 01-31-2022, 04:12 PM   #38
scottw

Originally Posted by PaulS

"It is no more discrimination that what Trump or Reagan did. "

Quote:

I agree.

all three said they would be choosing a woman...only one specified that he'd be choosing based on skin tone...that is more discrimination
Old 02-01-2022, 06:09 AM   #39
scottw

to be fair...it is perfectly within character for Brandon to be seen pandering to racial groups playing identity politics and succeeding in making a complete ass out of himself by sounding incredibly patronizing and often quite racist.....

Last edited by scottw; 02-01-2022 at 06:30 AM..
Old 02-01-2022, 06:58 AM   #40
Pete F.
Canceled

Still waiting for the rationale on the supreme qualifications of Kavanaugh
Old 02-01-2022, 07:15 AM   #41
Jim in CT

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pete F. View Post
Still waiting for the rationale on the supreme qualifications of Kavanaugh
well, as a lower court judge, kavanaugh had 13 opinions get reviewed by SCOTUS, they affirmed 12 and reversed 1.

Sotomayor had 5 opinions get reviewed and 2 got overturned, one unanimously.

What does that suggest, Pete?
Old 02-01-2022, 07:21 AM   #42
scottw

Quote:
well, as a lower court judge, kavanaugh had 13 opinions get reviewed by SCOTUS, they affirmed 12 and reversed 1.

Washington (CNN)Supreme Court Justice Sonia Sotomayor made a significant false claim on Friday about Covid-19's impact on children.

I bet Kavanaugh rolled his eyes when she said this
Old 02-01-2022, 08:40 AM   #43
Jim in CT

Quote:
Originally Posted by scottw View Post
Washington (CNN)Supreme Court Justice Sonia Sotomayor made a significant false claim on Friday about Covid-19's impact on children.

I bet Kavanaugh rolled his eyes when she said this
She also famously said this about judges of different gender and race...

"a wise Latina woman with the richness of her experiences would more often than not reach a better conclusion than a white male who hasn't lived that life."

She said that white men have inferior life experiences compared to female Latinas. Saying something that bigoted, would get you instantly banned from jury duty. But apparently it doesn't preclude you from being on the Supreme Court for life.
Old 02-01-2022, 08:51 AM   #44
wdmso

Quote:

Jim leaves out she ruled on over 300 cases but Amy 75 overall

Brett at least did 12 years on the bench
Old 02-01-2022, 09:00 AM   #45
wdmso

Quote:
She also famously said this about judges of different gender and race...

"a wise Latina woman with the richness of her experiences would more often than not reach a better conclusion than a white male who hasn't lived that life."

She said that white men have inferior life experiences compared to female Latinas. Saying something that bigoted, would get you instantly banned from jury duty. But apparently it doesn't preclude you from being on the Supreme Court for life.

Again Jim post this again with no context

a wise Latina woman with the richness of her experiences would more often than not reach a better conclusion than a white male who hasn't lived that life

white male who hasn't lived that life

Not sure Jim how you twisted that comment to be bigoted

Oh wait I do she called out bias
And that triggered your white victimhood

How dare a person of color speak the Truth
Old 02-01-2022, 09:05 AM   #46
scottw

Quote:

here's all the context you need wayne...

"Supreme Court nominee Sonia Sotomayor backed away from a now-famous quotation from one of her speeches, saying her comment about a “wise Latina” judge had fallen flat, and was “a bad idea.”

The statement was made in contrast to a familiar quote from former Supreme Court Justice Sandra Day O’Connor who often said that she did not view herself as a female jurist. Instead, she said that a wise old man and a wise old woman would reach the same result as judges."
Old 02-01-2022, 09:27 AM   #47
Jim in CT

Quote:

a wise Latina woman with the richness of her experiences would more often than not reach a better conclusion than a white male who hasn't lived that life

white male who hasn't lived that life

Not sure Jim how you twisted that comment to be bigoted

Oh wait I do she called out bias
And that triggered your white victimhood

How dare a person of color speak the Truth
you posted the same exact quote I did, with no additional context. None.

And i’m not sure how anyone can pretend that’s not textbook bigotry.

she said explicitly, that being hispanic and female allows one to acquire more wisdom than a white man can acquire. Because our experience is inferior.

I notice being a female latina ( and all the inherent wisdom contained therein) didn’t prevent her from making a fool of herself when she said there were many more kids hospitalized with covid than actually are.

Nor did all that wisdom prevent her from being unanimously overturned by SCOTUS when she was a lower judge.

When Ginsberg and Scalia and everyone in between says you were wrong in the law, that means you were really wrong. Doesn’t it?

She’s not bigoted! She just thinks female Latinas are more wise than white men. That’s not bigoted at all!
Old 02-01-2022, 09:33 AM   #48
scottw

Quote:

it was brilliant...really...
Old 02-01-2022, 09:35 AM   #49
Jim in CT

Quote:
it was brilliant...really...
did i miss the additional context?
Old 02-01-2022, 09:47 AM   #50
scottw

Quote:
did i miss the additional context?
i'm sure he'll think of something
Old 02-01-2022, 09:59 AM   #51
wdmso

Quote:
here's all the context you need wayne...

"Supreme Court nominee Sonia Sotomayor backed away from a now-famous quotation from one of her speeches, saying her comment about a “wise Latina” judge had fallen flat, and was “a bad idea.”

The statement was made in contrast to a familiar quote from former Supreme Court Justice Sandra Day O’Connor who often said that she did not view herself as a female jurist. Instead, she said that a wise old man and a wise old woman would reach the same result as judges."
Yes if those 2 wise people had the same experience in life

That would be a true statement
Old 02-01-2022, 10:08 AM   #52
wdmso

Quote:

And i’m not sure how anyone can pretend that’s not textbook bigotry.

she said explicitly, that being hispanic and female allows one to acquire more wisdom than a white man can acquire. Because our experience is inferior.

I notice being a female latina ( and all the inherent wisdom contained therein) didn’t prevent her from making a fool of herself when she said there were many more kids hospitalized with covid than actually are.

Nor did all that wisdom prevent her from being unanimously overturned by SCOTUS when she was a lower judge.

When Ginsberg and Scalia and everyone in between says you were wrong in the law, that means you were really wrong. Doesn’t it?

She’s not bigoted! She just thinks female Latinas are more wise than white men. That’s not bigoted at all!

Now it’s my job to make your case?

Again your just upset a brown person called out Bias

Basically saying Try walking in my shoes before YOU Aka WHITE DUDE . Tells me how easy it was or how I should have walked

The line was almost identical every time:

"I would hope that a wise Latina woman with the richness of her experiences would, more often than not, reach a better conclusion."

That sentence, or a similar one, has appeared in speeches Sotomayor delivered in 1994, 1999, 2002, 2004 and 2001. In that speech, she included the phrase "than a white male who hasn't lived that life" at the end, which sparked cries of racism from some Republicans.

Look at that what a shocker cries of racism from some Republicans

How that for context Jim and Scott

You 2 are like a moths to the flame
parroting Republicans talking point wash rinse and repeat
Old 02-01-2022, 10:09 AM   #53
scottw

Quote:

Yes if those 2 wise people had the same experience in life

you love to write things that nobody ever said or implied or would... and then act self-satisfied for doing so, as if you've made some point
Old 02-01-2022, 10:11 AM   #54
wdmso

Quote:
you love to write things that nobody ever said or implied or would... and then act self-satisfied for doing so, as if you've made some point
I know right your commentary here is always informative LOL
Old 02-01-2022, 10:30 AM   #55
scottw

Quote:
I know right your commentary here is always informative LOL
we still love you...
Old 02-01-2022, 10:51 AM   #56
Jim in CT

Quote:
Now it’s my job to make your case?

Again your just upset a brown person called out Bias

Basically saying Try walking in my shoes before YOU Aka WHITE DUDE . Tells me how easy it was or how I should have walked

"I would hope that a wise Latina woman with the richness of her experiences would, more often than not, reach a better conclusion."

That sentence, or a similar one, has appeared in speeches Sotomayor delivered in 1994, 1999, 2002, 2004 and 2001. In that speech, she included the phrase "than a white male who hasn't lived that life" at the end, which sparked cries of racism from some Republicans.

You 2 are like a moths to the flame
parroting Republicans talking point wash rinse and repeat
"Now it’s my job to make your case?"

Huh?

No. But if you say I took it out of context, you should provide the correct context. You didn't.

What bias did she call out? She said female Latinas have a superior life experience compared to us male gringos.

It's textbook bigotry.

The bias is hers.

"Basically saying Try walking in my shoes before YOU Aka WHITE DUDE . Tells me how easy it was or how I should have walked "

That's not within a million miles of what she said. She said her experience generates more wisdom that that of a white man.

You completely changed what she said, to make it more benign. I have no problem with what you said. But that's nowhere near what she said.

Sotomayor said female latinas are superior to white men. How did you hear, "don't judge me unless you've walked a mile in my shoes"?

She didn't say female latinas are different. She said they're better.
Old 02-01-2022, 11:10 AM   #57
scottw

Quote:

that's not context, it's wayne's racist Tourette's
Old 02-01-2022, 11:12 AM   #58
scottw

Quote:

?....who told her how easy it was and how she should have walked?
Old 02-01-2022, 11:14 AM   #59
scottw

Quote:

so you are admitting that she said it repeatedly but then backed away from it when she was a supreme court nominee and said it was “a bad idea”
Old 02-01-2022, 12:42 PM   #60
Jim in CT

Quote:
Jim leaves out she ruled on over 300 cases but Amy 75 overall

Brett at least did 12 years on the bench
That's worth noting, sure.

How many times was Barrett overturned, unanimously, on appeal?

How many times did Barrett say that her race and gender result in more wisdom than any other race or gender?