Striper Talk Striped Bass Fishing, Surfcasting, Boating

Left Nav S-B Home Register FAQ Members List S-B on Facebook Arcade WEAX Tides Buoys Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Right Nav

Left Container Right Container

Go Back   Striper Talk Striped Bass Fishing, Surfcasting, Boating » Striper Chat - Discuss stuff other than fishing ~ The Scuppers and Political talk » Political Threads

Political Threads This section is for Political Threads - Enter at your own risk. If you say you don't want to see what someone posts - don't read it :hihi:

Old 09-24-2017, 08:17 PM   #1
Jim in CT

NFL

I am a lifelong Steelers fan. This takes care of that.

Are there any limits to what fans will tolerate? An interesting question, because the NFL fan base, unlike Broadway plays, I assume is made up of a majority of conservative patriots. But people are addicted to sports in a way that I can't quite understand.

I'm done for the year. I typically make it to a Steelers game a little more than every other year, no more...done.

The protests are just so stupid. What are the words in the national anthem, exactly, that allow one to connect the dots between that song, and police brutality? It's like protesting the price of Big Macs by throwing a brick through a window at Burger King, one has nothing to do with the other.

This is why Trump got elected, it's exactly why he got elected. He didn't talk above middle America, or around Middle America, nor did he pretend that he is Middle America. That's his unique strength as a politician. It's lost among his many flaws most of the time, but no one else has learned that lesson.
Old 09-24-2017, 11:14 PM   #2
detbuch

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim in CT View Post
What are the words in the national anthem, exactly, that allow one to connect the dots between that song, and police brutality?
Stanza #3:
"And where is that band who so vauntingly swore
That the havoc of war and the battle's confusion,
A home and a country, should leave us no more?
Their blood has washed out their foul footsteps' pollution.
No refuge could save the hireling and slave
From the terror of flight, or the gloom of the grave:
And the star-spangled banner in triumph doth wave,
O'er the land of the free and the home of the brave."

Of course, we only sing the first stanza. There are (were) 4. The connection to slavery (not police brutality) is explained in this short article: http://themoderatevoice.com/star-spa...ed-indentured/

Seeing as how we don't sing the last three stanzas (not many of us today know about them--I sure didn't) we have apparently already scrubbed the offending words out. But, I guess that's not good enough. We just gotta eliminate any trace of American history that offends someone.

That doesn't leave much of it left.
Old 09-25-2017, 01:32 AM   #3
Raider Ronnie

Send a message via AIM to Raider Ronnie
Quote:
I am a lifelong Steelers fan. This takes care of that.

Are there any limits to what fans will tolerate? An interesting question, because the NFL fan base, unlike Broadway plays, I assume is made up of a majority of conservative patriots. But people are addicted to sports in a way that I can't quite understand.

I'm done for the year. I typically make it to a Steelers game a little more than every other year, no more...done.

The protests are just so stupid. What are the words in the national anthem, exactly, that allow one to connect the dots between that song, and police brutality? It's like protesting the price of Big Macs by throwing a brick through a window at Burger King, one has nothing to do with the other.

This is why Trump got elected, it's exactly why he got elected. He didn't talk above middle America, or around Middle America, nor did he pretend that he is Middle America. That's his unique strength as a politician. It's lost among his many flaws most of the time, but no one else has learned that lesson.

Same here, I'm done watching.
Screw the NFL.
You ask me they are digging their own graves.
Let the tv & radio ratings keep dropping !
Posted from my iPhone/Mobile device
Old 09-25-2017, 04:48 AM   #4
wdmso

Conservatives one loves throwing the Freedom word around and speaking on the constitution and and about their 2nd amendments rights .. and how Nazis should be allowed to protest its their right

But take a Knee during the national anthem Ohh the outrage ..

this has everything to do about race and nothing to do with the National Anthem Trump played that card at his rally to his base

Not sure how this is disrespect toward the Military another argument i see getting tossed around

My oath said I, _____, do solemnly swear (or affirm) that I will support and defend the Constitution of the United States against all enemies, foreign and domestic

Says nothing about defending the National anthem

Stop it legally put a clause in all of their contracts when on the field they are on the clock . do it and get fired make it a condition of employment For all the players .. for my Job I cant smoke on or off the job I am subject to termination if i do

i dont hear that argument any place
Old 09-25-2017, 05:08 AM   #5
spence

Sounds like the peaceful protest is making Jim uncomfortable.
Old 09-25-2017, 05:48 AM   #6
Jim in CT

Quote:
Originally Posted by detbuch View Post
Stanza #3:
"And where is that band who so vauntingly swore
That the havoc of war and the battle's confusion,
A home and a country, should leave us no more?
Their blood has washed out their foul footsteps' pollution.
No refuge could save the hireling and slave
From the terror of flight, or the gloom of the grave:
And the star-spangled banner in triumph doth wave,
O'er the land of the free and the home of the brave."

Of course, we only sing the first stanza. There are (were) 4. The connection to slavery (not police brutality) is explained in this short article: http://themoderatevoice.com/star-spa...ed-indentured/

Seeing as how we don't sing the last three stanzas (not many of us today know about them--I sure didn't) we have apparently already scrubbed the offending words out. But, I guess that's not good enough. We just gotta eliminate any trace of American history that offends someone.

That doesn't leave much of it left.
We don't sing the offensive words, and I promise you that the vast majority of players protesting, are unaware that they ever existed.
Old 09-25-2017, 05:52 AM   #7
Jim in CT

Quote:
Originally Posted by wdmso View Post
Conservatives one loves throwing the Freedom word around and speaking on the constitution and and about their 2nd amendments rights .. and how Nazis should be allowed to protest its their right

But take a Knee during the national anthem Ohh the outrage ..

this has everything to do about race and nothing to do with the National Anthem Trump played that card at his rally to his base

Not sure how this is disrespect toward the Military another argument i see getting tossed around

My oath said I, _____, do solemnly swear (or affirm) that I will support and defend the Constitution of the United States against all enemies, foreign and domestic

Says nothing about defending the National anthem

Stop it legally put a clause in all of their contracts when on the field they are on the clock . do it and get fired make it a condition of employment For all the players .. for my Job I cant smoke on or off the job I am subject to termination if i do

i dont hear that argument any place
Freedom of speech, means the.government cannot imprison you for speaking against it. It doesn't come close to meaning that your employer has to tolerate it, especially if it hurts your employers bottom line.

I work for an insurance company. I have the right to write a letter to the paper explaining why the company stinks. I am breaking no laws, the government cannot punish me. My employer has the right to fire me in the next second, for hurting their brand, and that's not a violation of my civil rights. Try making that wrong..
Old 09-25-2017, 05:55 AM   #8
Jim in CT

Quote:
Originally Posted by spence View Post
Sounds like the peaceful protest is making Jim uncomfortable.
Offended, not uncomfortable. Spence explain this to us...the league refused to let the cowboys wear a patch honoring slain Dallas cops, but it is ok with these protests. You go read Chairman Maos Little Red Book again, and see if there's anything in there that explains that logic. It's not just me, we know ratings are dropping. Let's see if this helps, let's see if the sociology department at Harvard buys season tickets now.
Old 09-25-2017, 06:17 AM   #9
spence

Quote:
Offended, not uncomfortable. Spence explain this to us...the league refused to let the cowboys wear a patch honoring slain Dallas cops, but it is ok with these protests. You go read Chairman Maos Little Red Book again, and see if there's anything in there that explains that logic. It's not just me, we know ratings are dropping. Let's see if this helps, let's see if the sociology department at Harvard buys season tickets now.
Why does it offend you if someone peacefully raises awareness for something they believe in?

The patch thing was a simple uniform issue I believe.
Old 09-25-2017, 06:18 AM   #10
Nebe

I bet the NFL is getting paid off to create this drama.
Old 09-25-2017, 06:22 AM   #11
scottw

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nebe View Post
I bet the NFL is getting paid off to create this drama.
yup...probably by the Kochs
Old 09-25-2017, 06:32 AM   #12
The Dad Fisherman
Super Moderator

Quote:
The protests are just so stupid. What are the words in the national anthem, exactly, that allow one to connect the dots between that song, and police brutality?
Yesterday's kneeling had nothing to do with protesting police brutality, it had everything to do with giving Trump a big FU.

Kind of funny how it was just a small handful doing it before yesterday. Then Trump comes out and says Boycott the NFL and pretty much every team and team owner, and even the commissioner, all come out in favor of letting it happen.

So when it was about an ethical issue.....pretty much crickets. But when it was about affecting the bottom line and pay checks....everybody is for it

#^&#^&#^&#^& the NFL

"If you're arguing with an idiot, make sure he isn't doing the same thing."
Old 09-25-2017, 06:34 AM   #13
PaulS

I remember all the outrage over Tebow doing it.

Hypocrites.
Old 09-25-2017, 06:37 AM   #14
scottw

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Dad Fisherman View Post
Yesterday's kneeling had nothing to do with protesting police brutality, it had everything to do with giving Trump a big FU.

Kind of funny how it was just a small handful doing it before yesterday. Then Trump comes out and says Boycott the NFL and pretty much every team and team owner, and even the commissioner, all come out in favor of letting it happen.

So when it was about an ethical issue.....pretty much crickets. But when it was about affecting the bottom line and pay checks....everybody is for it

#^&#^&#^&#^& the NFL

yup...once again...Trump does/says something stupid and the reaction is ever stupider
Old 09-25-2017, 06:38 AM   #15
Got Stripers
Ledge Runner Baits

We get hammered for cold weather naturally deflating some footballs and when players ignore their own NFL rules and regs, why isn't Roger laying down the law and handing out the fines?

I agree as American's we all have the right to peacefully protest, but to disrespect the flag that represents the country that gave you those rights is IMHO just wrong. These same guys are making millions, go put that money to good work elsewhere, put your face behind a mic in your community to make a difference, there are so many more productive ways to get your message across.

To do it in front of the flag and while our national anthem is being sung, just pisses off the same people you are complaining about; how is that making that group of people want to change their opinions about you?

My dear departed Dad and big sports fan, would have turned off the TV in horror yesterday.
Old 09-25-2017, 06:40 AM   #16
scottw

Quote:
Originally Posted by Got Stripers View Post

there are so many more productive ways to get your message across.
bingo.....just like protesters blocking a busy intersection.....you aren't going to change many minds with your message when you are just pissing people off
Old 09-25-2017, 06:43 AM   #17
Jim in CT

Quote:
Why does it offend you if someone peacefully raises awareness for something they believe in?

Despite the fact that you dodged my question completely (because you know there is no possible liberal answer to that, which makes any sense whatsoever), I will pay you the courtesy of answering your question directly.

First, I disagree that the thing they are protesting (widespread racial assassinations by white cops) exists. They might as well be protesting Bigfoot. Second, their method of protest makes zero logical sense. The national anthem has no connection to white cops. If you have a problem with white cops, make a sign that says "White cops need to be nicer to blacks", or join Black Lives Matter, do something that is somehow connected to the issue you are advocating. Their method of protest, is hurtful to people who don't deserve it. And they know this, and they don't care.

If the NFL wants to turn their backs on everyone who voted for Trump, and try to widen their appeal among liberal bed-wetting snowflakes, they have every right to make that business decision. Some decisions work out, some do not. Consumers can choose whether or not to support them, because despite what the Trump resistance believes, there's nothing remotely fascist about our country. If there's one thing we are learning during this presidency, it's that you can say anything you want about this man, and the government will take no action against you (unlike El Deuce Obama, who used the IRS as a club against conservatives), which is actually the opposite of fascism.
Old 09-25-2017, 06:46 AM   #18
The Dad Fisherman
Super Moderator

Quote:
Teams have always been allowed to put patches, armbands or markings on their uniforms to represent different thing.

When Myra Kraft passed away the Pats had her initials on their uniforms. The Cowboys and Jags had red circles on their uniforms in honor for remembrance day back in 2011 when they played in London.

There's been pink shoes and gloves for Breast cancer awareness. And Camouflage uniforms to honor the military

But the Dallas cowboys want to wear a patch to honor 4 slain officers from Dallas, and they get taken to the wood shed.

Old 09-25-2017, 06:48 AM   #19
scottw

[QUOTE=Jim in CT;1128736]Despite the fact that you dodged my question completely /QUOTE]

I'm just glad he's back...I missed him terribly.....must'uv finally connected the internets way up north
Old 09-25-2017, 06:49 AM   #20
scottw

Quote:

But the Dallas cowboys want to wear a patch to honor 4 slain officers from Dallas, and they get taken to the wood shed.
it would have been controversial and offensive apparently
Old 09-25-2017, 06:50 AM   #21
The Dad Fisherman
Super Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by PaulS View Post

Hypocrites.
You mean by the liberals, you know, because of the whole religion thing.

Because he didn't take a knee during the anthem, he took a knee when he scored a touchdown.

I suppose it would have been better if he just got on all fours, lifted his leg, and pretended to take a piss....

Last edited by The Dad Fisherman; 09-25-2017 at 08:27 AM..

Old 09-25-2017, 06:58 AM   #22
PaulS

No by the people who thought he was disrespecting the game.

I have no problem w/either player(s). I wouldn't do it but understand why they are. I think the linking arms or placing your hand on the pads was a more respectful way of doing it.

Should have been a minor issue (as it was the weeks bf) until our uniter in chief had to tweet about it. Instead of of keeping his mouth shut he had to call them SOBs (a few weeks after saying some of the people protesting w/Nazis where "fine people").
Old 09-25-2017, 07:11 AM   #23
Jim in CT

Quote:

Hypocrites.
What did he do, exactly? You mean taking a knee and praying after a score? Only a bunch of lefty, bigoted, thoughtless idiots could find that "offensive".

You are comparing Tebow praying after a score, to what these guys did?

Yeesh, you're having an off day. Giving thanks for success, isn't exactly the same thing as boycotting the national anthem.
Old 09-25-2017, 07:19 AM   #24
Jim in CT

Quote:
No by the people who thought he was disrespecting the game.

I have no problem w/either player(s). I wouldn't do it but understand why they are. I think the linking arms or placing your hand on the pads was a more respectful way of doing it.

Should have been a minor issue (as it was the weeks bf) until our uniter in chief had to tweet about it. Instead of of keeping his mouth shut he had to call them SOBs (a few weeks after saying some of the people protesting w/Nazis where "fine people").
No one will accuse Trump of being a unifier. But that comment is exactly why he got elected, and no one on the left, including you apparently, has figured that out. Which is good for my side.

"Instead of of keeping his mouth shut "

I loved what he said. I despise much of what he says, but I loved that SOB comment. So did tens of millions of others. He resonates with Middle America. The left sees no value in that. Hilary's book could all be boiled down to that. Trump understands the people who live between the coasts. He may not genuinely care about them, I have no way of knowing. But he resonates with them.
Old 09-25-2017, 07:19 AM   #25
Jim in CT

Quote:
You mean by the liberals, you know, because of the whole religion thing.

Sure, because of tolerance.
Old 09-25-2017, 07:28 AM   #26
PaulS

Quote:
No one will accuse Trump of being a unifier. But that comment is exactly why he got elected, and no one on the left, including you apparently, has figured that out. Which is good for my side.I knew exactly why he did it - to appeal to his base. The older, white, somewhat racists Americans who have suffered w/years of declining earnings and whose skills can't keep up.

"Instead of of keeping his mouth shut "

I loved what he said. I despise much of what he says, but I loved that SOB comment. So did tens of millions of others. He resonates with Middle America. The left sees no value in that. Hilary's book could all be boiled down to that. Trump understands the people who live between the coasts. He may not genuinely care about them, I have no way of knowing. But he resonates with them.
I agree he resonates w/them. "fine people"
Old 09-25-2017, 07:36 AM   #27
RIROCKHOUND
Also known as OAK

I love the outrage. I was taught to stand, hand over heart, hat off. I look around at events and half the crowd is holding a beer, hat on, scratching their balls, talking etc.. o bet half of that crowd is now outraged... I agree this was a minor issue Trump stirred up into a major fu by the players..
Old 09-25-2017, 07:38 AM   #28
Jim in CT

Quote:

I agree he resonates w/them. "fine people"
Yes, when you have embarrassed yourself and cannot admit that the other side has a point, play the racism card. How very original.

Most conservatives want blacks to be successful and thriving. Democrats, instead of using chains and German shepherds to cripple blacks like they did in the past, now use welfare and the soft bigotry of low expectations. But I am the somewhat racist. Got it.
Old 09-25-2017, 07:42 AM   #29
Jim in CT

Quote:
Originally Posted by RIROCKHOUND View Post
I love the outrage. I was taught to stand, hand over heart, hat off. I look around at events and half the crowd is holding a beer, hat on, scratching their balls, talking etc.. o bet half of that crowd is now outraged... I agree this was a minor issue Trump stirred up into a major fu by the players..
Ratings were down last year and so far this year. Surveys show that these protests are a reason why. True the players did this as an fu to trump, but what you don't get, is that's exactly what he wants. You can't do anything more to stroke his ego than to get all foamy at the mouth over his statement. I think trump comes out of this way more popular than the NFL. Maybe not in Hollywood or in the upper west side of manhattan, but there is more to America than that. As Hilary found out too late
Old 09-25-2017, 07:44 AM   #30
PaulS

Quote:
Yes, when you have embarrassed yourself and cannot admit that the other side has a point, play the racism card. How very original. Maybe you can post something up about Berkley - you haven't done that it what 2 weeks? Are you denying that his campaign had no undercurrents dealing w/race?

Most conservatives want blacks to be successful and thriving. Democrats, instead of using chains and German shepherds to cripple blacks like they did in the past, now use welfare and the soft bigotry of low expectations. But I am the somewhat racist. Got it.
Yup, the Dems keep blacks down by using welfare. Too bad they aren't smart enough to realize that - only Jim is. You should try telling them that someday.