Striper Talk Striped Bass Fishing, Surfcasting, Boating

Left Nav S-B Home Register FAQ Members List S-B on Facebook Arcade WEAX Tides Buoys Calendar Today's Posts Right Nav

Left Container Right Container

Go Back   Striper Talk Striped Bass Fishing, Surfcasting, Boating » Striper Chat - Discuss stuff other than fishing ~ The Scuppers and Political talk » Sports Talk - Title Town

Sports Talk - Title Town Sports Talk - Our Home for the 2004/2007 World Champion Red Sox, Super Bowl XXXVI, XXXVIII, XXXIX Champion Patriots! SEVENTEEN TIME NBA Champion Boston Celtics, 2011 winners of Lord Stanley's Cup Boston Bruins!!!

Old 05-07-2009, 10:02 AM   #31
fishbones

I was flipping back and forth between the B's and C's, but saw enough of what you saw, Sandman. They need to be much more aggressive in both ends. One thing I picked up on was that the B's were not skating towards the puck, especially in the defensive end. They were just reaching for it with their sticks and trying to take it of the stick of the other guy without being physical enough. That's why Carolina was able to generate so many chances on offense. There's no excuse for that. The B's should be more rested than Carolina. Hopefully, they have a good practice today and come out real strong and aggressive on Friday.

Conservatism is not about leaving people behind. Conservatism is about empowering people to catch up, to give them tools at their disposal that make it possible for them to access all the hope, all the promise, all the opportunity that America offers. - Marco Rubio
fishbones is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2009, 06:34 AM   #32
afterhours
Afterhours Custom Plugs

'canes have legs, hot goale, and more want to now....does'nt look good...

www.afterhoursplugs.com

http://www.facebook.com/pages/Afterh...428173?created

Instagram - afterhourscustom

Official S-B.com Sponsor

GAMEFISH NOW

"A GAMEFISH (WHICH STRIPED BASS SHOULD BE) IS TOO VALUABLE TO BE CAUGHT ONLY ONCE"...LEE WULFF
afterhours is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2009, 12:26 PM   #33
beaver

All I have to say is...WTF. Not playing like the Bruins we are used to. Need to step it up big time to try and stop the Canes. What happened to the fighting, the physical play, the power play. I'm nervous.
beaver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2009, 03:07 PM   #34
ProfessorM
Uncle Remus

I'm bummed to say this but it's over . I hope I am wrong but Canes are just a tad better IMO. Darn I thought we had a chance this year. Guess I will have to go listen to my Goal Bruins album and remember the good old days.

"A beach is a place where a man can feel he's the only soul in the world that's real"
ProfessorM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2009, 07:14 AM   #35
spinncognito
Is it May yet?

Going to game 5 tonight and yes, I am holding out hope. Look for the B's to really clamp down on defense and win tonight.

"Twitch....Twitch....Twitch....WHAM!"
spinncognito is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2009, 09:47 AM   #36
Mr. Sandman

As my old hockey coach use to say when we down and things looked bleak...

"At least go out and leave an impression...and remember a bad impression is better then no impression."

I want blood, black eyes and broken bones this game. Take the reigns off Lucic and let him have at Staal. He had an open ice op last game that he avoided and it pissed me off, it would have clocked him good. Then after they are limping, shoot the hell out of the puck. Repeat as necessary.
Mr. Sandman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2009, 01:07 PM   #37
afterhours
Afterhours Custom Plugs

check everthing that moves and finish said checks, dump the puck and disrupt the d forget the 3 pass shots, harass ward, and last knock cole out of the freekin' crease... b's win tonight .

www.afterhoursplugs.com

Official S-B.com Sponsor

GAMEFISH NOW

"A GAMEFISH (WHICH STRIPED BASS SHOULD BE) IS TOO VALUABLE TO BE CAUGHT ONLY ONCE"...LEE WULFF
Old 05-11-2009, 05:54 AM   #38
afterhours
Afterhours Custom Plugs

good game! the 'canes gave the b's fuel for the next game with their cheap shots, one game at a time...worst sucker punch 've seen in hockey by walker and that #^&#^&#^&#^&head maurice's comments unreal- campbell should have something to say about this..

Last edited by afterhours; 05-11-2009 at 06:42 AM..

www.afterhoursplugs.com

Official S-B.com Sponsor

GAMEFISH NOW

Old 05-11-2009, 06:48 AM   #39
Mr. Sandman

Now that was Bruins hockey. Those hard checks work for this team. That is their game, if they don't play like that and get suckered in to playing to the other teams strengths they don't stand a chance.

The canes coach was asked " What do you think the ramifications will be to the player how punched ward in the face"...his response was "sore knuckles".

Looks like Ward's orbital bone may be broken...if so he will need an operation and be out for a while a la Ryder earlier this season.

We need to take it to them just like that again game 6 and 7.
Old 05-11-2009, 07:30 AM   #40
spinncognito
Is it May yet?

The Gaaaarden was rockin' last night and the B's dominated every aspect of the game. A complete reversal of the last game. Carolina spent a good portion of the game in the penalty box and when the B's were short they shut down the Canes PP. Ward looked average and Thomas made a coupla big saves when called upon. JOKE-an-an's whap to Charas' ankle was scary and Ward getting sucka punched will indeed be enough motivation to carry the B's into a game 7. Good to see the physical play.

"Twitch....Twitch....Twitch....WHAM!"
spinncognito is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2009, 07:37 AM   #41
ProfessorM
Uncle Remus

Great game. Great energy. Hit everything in sight. Please prove me wrong. Sucker punch for sure.

"A beach is a place where a man can feel he's the only soul in the world that's real"
Old 05-11-2009, 08:00 AM   #42
Dad 818
Hunting for a 40

Read that Ward has a broken orbital bone from the sucker punch. IIRC, a player that receives an instigator penalty within the last 5 minutes of a game automatically gets suspended for the next game.
Dad 818 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2009, 08:18 AM   #43
Mr. Sandman

I am almost postive he will get at least one game suspension..It it possible the league will go much further.

The beatiful part of the B's game is that gets under the skin of the other team and they react in a manner that just makes matters worse for themslefve.

I really hope by now they relize they have to play this Lucic/Neeley style of hockey to be successul.

Looked like a fun place to be last night.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	86960110_10.jpg
Views:	187
Size:	76.5 KB
ID:	33719  
Old 05-11-2009, 08:20 AM   #44
Mr. Sandman

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr. Sandman View Post
As my old hockey coach use to say when we down and things looked bleak...

"At least go out and leave an impression...and remember a bad impression is better then no impression."

I want blood, black eyes and broken bones this game. Take the reigns off Lucic and let him have at Staal. He had an open ice op last game that he avoided and it pissed me off, it would have clocked him good. Then after they are limping, shoot the hell out of the puck. Repeat as necessary.

Heheheh...I should be the coach.
Old 05-11-2009, 08:22 AM   #45
InTheHole

Great game, Bruins finally got back to playing their style of hockey, hit hard, grind it out and play down deep in the offensive zone, I wish Lucic had gotten to Walker but maybe it was a good thing, the Bruins are going to need him Tuesday night.

Give a man a fish and you feed him for a day ...
show him where to fish and ... you'll be sorry
InTheHole is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2009, 08:41 AM   #46
fishbones

Walker should get at least 3 games and if they treat it the way they do in the reg season, he should get 5. You don't punch a guy who's still wearing his gloves. Period.

Having Ward out is going to make things tougher for the B's, especially if Chara's ankle is still bothering him tomorrow night. But, this could also be more motivation to the other guys to really step it up and take it to the Canes.

Conservatism is not about leaving people behind. Conservatism is about empowering people to catch up, to give them tools at their disposal that make it possible for them to access all the hope, all the promise, all the opportunity that America offers. - Marco Rubio
Old 05-11-2009, 09:24 AM   #47
Mr. Sandman

Here is the sucker punch of the game:

Old 05-11-2009, 11:11 AM   #48
ProfessorM
Uncle Remus

That guy has to be gone for at least 5 games for that sucker punch and the resulting injury to the player who will likely miss a few games with that type of injury. Although knowing hockey players he will wear a shield and probably be out there tomorrow. Wasn't even his bru ha ha. He butted in and hit him up high even before he punched him. I am glad L. didn't get a hold of him, they need him. If he does play he will be a marked man. Sucks I will have to listen to the next game on the radio.

Old 05-11-2009, 01:19 PM   #49
Dad 818
Hunting for a 40

No suspension for Walker!!!

Just read on ESPN.com that Walker received only a $2,500 fine!!!! They rescinded the automatic 1 game suspension for receiving an instigator within the last 5 minutes after meeting with Walker.

Their GM states "We've been taking punches for 5 games so it was just a matter of time before we threw one back"

Coach Paul Maurice when asked about what Walker should expect after the punch "Sore knuckles"

This series just got a whole lot more interesting. I expect the B's to come out with a fire under their asses tomorrow night. And the 'Canes had better hope it's a close game throughout. If it's a blowout either way, watch out.
Old 05-11-2009, 01:31 PM   #50
afterhours
Afterhours Custom Plugs

walker will be a target- bet the farm on it .

www.afterhoursplugs.com

Official S-B.com Sponsor

GAMEFISH NOW

Old 05-11-2009, 01:39 PM   #51
fishbones

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dad 818 View Post
Just read on ESPN.com that Walker received only a $2,500 fine!!!! They rescinded the automatic 1 game suspension for receiving an instigator within the last 5 minutes after meeting with Walker.

Their GM states "We've been taking punches for 5 games so it was just a matter of time before we threw one back"

Coach Paul Maurice when asked about what Walker should expect after the punch "Sore knuckles"

This series just got a whole lot more interesting. I expect the B's to come out with a fire under their asses tomorrow night. And the 'Canes had better hope it's a close game throughout. If it's a blowout either way, watch out.
That is BS. Lucic missed a game for cross checking a guy up high and didn't hurt him. Walker jumps into a skirmish that he isn't even supposed to be a part of, sucker punches Ward and injures him, and all he gets is a small fine? If either team gets a comfortable lead late in game 6, watch out. Somebody may end up needing assistance to get off the ice.

Old 05-11-2009, 01:43 PM   #52
beaver

Walker deserves to be out for a few games. I kind of wish he could play so he could get his buttocks beat like he should. These guys are too strong to be punching someone else when their not ready for it.

Pumped about the game, though. Hoping we can play that way in the next two games.

Last edited by beaver; 05-11-2009 at 01:45 PM.. Reason: I can't spell
Old 05-11-2009, 01:46 PM   #53
Mr. Sandman

"We've been taking punches for 5 games" ?

Tune in to game 6 %$%$%$%$%$%$%$ if you want to see some punches.
Old 05-11-2009, 02:30 PM   #54
tynan19
Stuck In Reality

Can't wait!
tynan19 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2009, 04:38 PM   #55
Mr. Sandman

Thinking about this punch today too much...

If lucic did that to staal do you think the punishment would have been the same?
IMO He would’ve been suspended for a looong time. NHL rules are inconsistent.
Old 05-11-2009, 06:36 PM   #56
Bassinthebay

would hate to be walker.... when the bruins are done with him, he will wish he was suspended.... we lose one of our best defensemen and he gets a measly fine.... he is going to get pounded in game 6 and 7.... the canes awoke a sleeping giant, and boston is going to take care of business.
Bassinthebay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2009, 10:03 PM   #57
Dad 818
Hunting for a 40

NHL disciplinarian Colin Campbell ruled it was NOT a sucker-punch. If that wasn't a sucker punch then WTF is?

Someone earlier brought up a great point that is being overlooked. If Ward cannot play tomorrow night (he did fly to Raleigh) then the Bruins will likely be down 3 defensemen. Ference, Ward and Hunwick would all be out.

That leaves 5 with Chara, Stuart, Montador, Hnidy, and Wideman. Montador blows. Hnidy is inexperienced (although he has played well when called on).

Will have to look up who is in Providence for defensemen. I know Johnny Boychuck is but is more of an offensive defenseman. Don't know who else though.
Old 05-12-2009, 09:46 AM   #58
fishbones

They're saying Ward will play tonight. Hopefully he will be effective as the B's need all the bodies they can get out on the ice tonight.

Old 05-12-2009, 10:59 AM   #59
Mike P
Jiggin' Leper Lawyer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dad 818 View Post
NHL disciplinarian Colin Campbell ruled it was NOT a sucker-punch. If that wasn't a sucker punch then WTF is?

Then--if it wasn't a sucker punch--why was he fined?

Players don't get fined for hurting someone in a clean fight.

Real mixed message being sent, and that's why today's NHL is a joke

Wise men speak because they have something to say; Fools, because they have to say something.
Mike P is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2009, 11:31 AM   #60
beaver

Doesn't make sense to me. I think Campbell's decision is BS, but I do want to see Walker get his faced broken tonight in a true, clean fight. I'm guessing Thornton will be out there first chance they get. Lucic might be too valuable at this point, but I'm sure he is fired up about it and won't hold back unless told so by the coaches.

Hope Ward can play and is effective. I know these guys are tough, but damn you just broke your face and your ready to play. Think he has a little grudge against his former squad.