Striper Talk Striped Bass Fishing, Surfcasting, Boating

Left Nav S-B Home Register FAQ Members List S-B on Facebook Arcade WEAX Tides Buoys Calendar Today's Posts Right Nav

Left Container Right Container

Go Back   Striper Talk Striped Bass Fishing, Surfcasting, Boating » Striper Chat - Discuss stuff other than fishing ~ The Scuppers and Political talk » Political Threads

Political Threads This section is for Political Threads - Enter at your own risk. If you say you don't want to see what someone posts - don't read it :hihi:

Old 11-10-2015, 07:10 PM   #241
buckman

Quote:
Originally Posted by spence View Post
I think his 10B claim has been shot down. He also inherited a support structure that influenced his ability to make that money work.

I'm not sure if that says he's successful or just not self destructive.

Here's the real issue. I was talking to my son today about what Trump brings to the table that makes him want to be a better American. His response, nothing, he's kind of annoying. Didn't he say something mean about someone's Mexican wife?

Exactly.
It's all on how you're raised . I was raised by Roman Catholic Irish Democrats . They all vote Republican now .
You need to turn MSNBC off the TV at home
Posted from my iPhone/Mobile device
Old 11-10-2015, 07:53 PM   #242
Nebe

Maybe they should turn off the Fox News as well.
Old 11-10-2015, 07:59 PM   #243
Nebe

Think long and hard about why the GOP is always trying so hard to defund education.
Old 11-10-2015, 08:54 PM   #244
Jim in CT

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nebe View Post
Think long and hard about why the GOP is always trying so hard to defund education.
Says who?

I want to stop funding insane teacher pensions, because they are stupidly expensive and they don't help kids perform better in school.

Here is a true question...if the democrats care so much about "choice", and they care so much about education, why are they so opposed to school choice? Why do democrats force poor people, mostly blacks, to continue to go to horrific, failing schools?

Answer - democrats care a lot more about placating the teachers unions, than they care about choice or about education.
Old 11-11-2015, 03:42 AM   #245
scottw

Quote:

Here's the real issue. I was talking to my son today about what Trump brings to the table that makes him want to be a better American. His response, nothing, he's kind of annoying. Didn't he say something mean about someone's Mexican wife?

Exactly.
bet he also thinks Hillary has an 'impressive resume", is honest and trustworthy and looks really hot in a pant suit
Old 11-11-2015, 04:21 AM   #246
scottw

Quote:
as usual you get it part right and that's an incredibly disingenuous statement......some in the GOP would like to end Federal involvement in education....think about it Eben, if States didn't have to send the money to the Feds to then be filtered through many grabbing hands before making it's way back to the State...the States might have more money for education..I wonder how much "corporate welfare" is handed out through the Department of Education http://www.theatlantic.com/business/...e/257456/..the... pensions that Jim referred are part of the massive unfunded liability that the States currently enjoy, I don't see how you unfund something that is already unfunded

By LYNN O'SHAUGHNESSY MONEYWATCH January 28, 2015, 5:15 AM

Teacher pensions: The math adds up to a crisis

Teacher pension plans from across the country are staggering from a half-trillion dollars in debt. Put in perspective, that's more than $10,000 worth of debt for every student in the nation's primary and secondary schools.

In 2014, state teacher pension systems had a total of $499 billion in unfunded liabilities, which has risen $100 billion in just two years, according to a new report from the National Council on Teacher Quality, a nonpartisan research and policy group dedicated to restructuring the teaching profession.

The report card on teacher pensions found that 70 cents of every dollar contributed to state pension systems pays for this massive debt rather than covering current employees' future retirement benefits.

"The math on state teacher pension policy doesn't add up," suggested Sandi Jacobs, the organization's vice president. "The funding crisis is staggering, yet the structure of most states' pension systems isn't giving teachers what they need.

Last edited by scottw; 11-11-2015 at 07:21 AM..
Old 11-11-2015, 07:55 AM   #247
spence

Quote:
Originally Posted by buckman View Post
It's all on how you're raised . I was raised by Roman Catholic Irish Democrats . They all vote Republican now .
Morning Joe is about the only MSNBC I watch at home...
Old 11-11-2015, 08:31 AM   #248
Jim in CT

Quote:
Originally Posted by buckman View Post
Bingo. If you want an idea of how the Democratic party has changed (radicalized) in the last 50 years, look at the party agenda throgh the eyes of a Catholic. In my parents' time, it was assumed that Catholics would vote Democrat. A Catholic was elected President as a Democrat, for Pete's sake! Granted, he wasn't what you would call a model Catholic (what with the affairs, and the mafia hits and all...)...but can you imagine a Catholic running for President as a Democrat today? The Democrats, at the national level, absolutely despise Catholicism. The Catholic catechism is unchanged during that period. What happened is that the Democrats embraced San Francisco-style liberal ideology.

So today, democrats have "progressed" to the point where it's bourgeoise to say that boys should use the boys' locker room and girls should use the girls' locker room. To Democrats, only Archie Bunker still clings to such neanderthalic, hateful bigotry.

Last edited by Jim in CT; 11-11-2015 at 08:45 AM..
Old 11-11-2015, 08:33 AM   #249
Jim in CT

Quote:
Morning Joe is about the only MSNBC I watch at home...
So where do you get your news, from the North Korea TV station?

I get mine from watching Hee Haw re-runs.
Old 11-11-2015, 04:03 PM   #250
spence

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim in CT View Post
...but can you imagine a Catholic running for President as a Democrat today? The Democrats, at the national level, absolutely despise Catholicism. The Catholic catechism is unchanged during that period. What happened is that the Democrats embraced San Francisco-style liberal ideology.
You mean like VP Joe Biden or Martin O'Malley?

According to Pew, a majority of Catholic voters supported Gore, Kerry and Obama twice in the Presidential elections.

Additionally, right now there are nearly as many Dem Catholics as Rep's in the House (68-70) and a majority Dem Catholic in the Senate (15-11).
Old 11-11-2015, 04:20 PM   #251
PaulS

Spence, why don't you tell Jim about the Repubs. in the past who supported amnesty, or tax increases or environmental regulation in the past. Those would never happen now.
Old 11-11-2015, 04:26 PM   #252
Jim in CT

Quote:

According to Pew, a majority of Catholic voters supported Gore, Kerry and Obama twice in the Presidential elections.

Additionally, right now there are nearly as many Dem Catholics as Rep's in the House (68-70) and a majority Dem Catholic in the Senate (15-11).
Sorry, allow me to clarify...imagine if a Catholic, who wasn't deserving of excommunication for being pro-abortion (therefore being anti-Catholic) ran for President.

I'm not talking about phonies who call themselves Catholic on Sunday because they want that vote, then go to pro-abortion rallies on Monday because they also want that vote.

You cannot be Catholic and be pro-abortion. You can call yourself Catholic and be pro-abortion, just as I can call myself a vegan but win a rib eating contest.

VP Joe Biden's executive branch has been the subject of several suits on behalf of the Catholic Church (another one, from Little Sisters Of The Poor, is at the Supreme Court now). I forgot what a swell Catholic he is that he has been sued by the church. He's a disgrace to his church.

Last edited by Jim in CT; 11-11-2015 at 04:31 PM..
Old 11-11-2015, 04:30 PM   #253
Jim in CT

Quote:
Originally Posted by PaulS View Post
Spence, why don't you tell Jim about the Repubs. in the past who supported amnesty, or tax increases or environmental regulation in the past. Those would never happen now.
Repubs are opposed to all environmental regulation? I must have missed that. I am conservative, and I support all reasonable environmental legislation.

I have no problem with tax increases that are necessary. With all the useless fat that could be trimmed right now, we should cut all that first before we talk about tax increases. Fair enough?

The National Endowment of the Arts subsidizes opera tickets for multi-millionaires. Same for tax rebates for electric cars, which are tax breaks for the wealthy, as poor people don't buy a Prius or a Tesla. Cut stupid spending first. Then, if we clearly need more revenue, we can raise taxes. Is that unreasonable?
Old 11-11-2015, 04:34 PM   #254
Jim in CT

Quote:

"a majority of Catholic voters supported Gore, Kerry and Obama twice in the Presidential elections."

A majority of people who identify as Catholics, as opposed to actually being Catholic, voted for those rabidly pro-abortion democrats. I don't know how many true Catholics voted for them. I'd guess zero true Catholics voted for them, but if you knew anything about the Catechism, you'd know that.

Again, I addressed your questions (tough, probing, and fair questions) head-on, as best as I could. Any chance you could show me the same courtesy?

How about telling me why Hilary's lies don't make her a liar, in your eyes? Give it a shot.
Old 11-11-2015, 04:40 PM   #255
Jim in CT

Quote:
Originally Posted by PaulS View Post
Spence, why don't you tell Jim about the Repubs. in the past who supported amnesty, ..Those would never happen now.
I guess I'm not sure what you mean by amnesty? I believe Trump is the only candidate saying he would deport all of them, and 75% of GOP voters don't support Trump. Can you clarify? By amnesty, do you mean make them citizens? Hell, no. They can stay if they don't break any more laws. Citizenship should be a reward for people who play by the rules, and endure additional hardship because of it.
Old 11-11-2015, 05:02 PM   #256
spence

Quote:
I'm not talking about phonies who call themselves Catholic on Sunday because they want that vote, then go to pro-abortion rallies on Monday because they also want that vote.
Martin O'Malley

- Attended a parish elementary in Bethesda, Md., and Jesuit-run Gonzaga College High School in Washington, D.C.
- Earned his undergraduate degree at the Catholic University of America in Washington
- He’s a pray-every-morning, church-every-Sunday (St. Francis of Assisi in Baltimore) believer who sent all four of his kids to Catholic schools.

i.e. Phony
Old 11-11-2015, 05:05 PM   #257
RIROCKHOUND
Also known as OAK

Quote:
Martin O'Malley

- Attended a parish elementary in Bethesda, Md., and Jesuit-run Gonzaga College High School in Washington, D.C.
- Earned his undergraduate degree at the Catholic University of America in Washington
- He’s a pray-every-morning, church-every-Sunday (St. Francis of Assisi in Baltimore) believer who sent all four of his kids to Catholic schools.

i.e. Phony
Jim and I went around on this previously; apparently (and I didn't know the dogma well enough), being pro-choice is grounds for ex-communication.

Bryan

Originally Posted by #^&#^&#^&#^&#^&#^&#^&#^&#^&#^&#^&
"For once I agree with Spence. UGH. I just hope I don't get the urge to go start buying armani suits to wear in my shop"
Old 11-11-2015, 05:33 PM   #258
spence

Quote:
Originally Posted by RIROCKHOUND View Post
Jim and I went around on this previously; apparently (and I didn't know the dogma well enough), being pro-choice is grounds for ex-communication.
Have they?
Old 11-11-2015, 06:52 PM   #259
Jim in CT

Quote:
Martin O'Malley

i.e. Phony
And what's O'Malley polling at, exactly?

Biden is a phony. He has routinely championed legislation that spits in the face of what he claims to be his religious beliefs. If you want to explain that with something other than "apples and oranges" be my guest. So do phonies like Nancy Pelosi.
Old 11-11-2015, 06:56 PM   #260
Jim in CT

Spence, Catholicism requires Catholics to be opposed to abortion. It's not optional.

Now, how does the DNC typically describe people who are anti-abortion? Does the DNC roll out the red carpet for pro-life folks? Or do we get accused of being anti-choice, of waging war on women, and of attacking women's health?

You tell me. I'm all ears.
Old 11-11-2015, 07:02 PM   #261
Jim in CT

Quote:
Martin O'Malley

i.e. Phony
He's also pro abortion. Meaning, his beliefs are outside of what's allowed for Catholics.

So yes, phony.

Catholicism is made up of binding beliefs (have to go to Church, have to believe Jesus is the son of God), and non-binding beliefs (which are suggestions, but not mandatory, like saying the rosary and being opposed to the death penalty.

Opposition to abortion is a binding belief. You are not Catholic if you are pro-abortion. I can go to vegan meetings, I can say the vegan oath 10 times a day, I can do all kinds of things to outwardly appear like a vegan. But guess what Spence? If I eat steak, I'm not a vegan. It doesn't matter what else I do.
Old 11-11-2015, 07:05 PM   #262
Jim in CT

Quote:
Have they?
Whether or not a pro-abortion politician actually gets ex-communicated is up to their local bishop. Some have been. All are subject to it. There's no ambiguity around whether or not their beliefs subject them to excommunication. Unfortunately, there's no rule that requires the bishops to do it.
Old 11-11-2015, 10:00 PM   #263
Sea Dangles

I have a solid fact for you. The real catholic church is happy to take the money of anybody who calls themselves catholic. And trust me when I tell you that the more they give,the more they are welcome.
Old 11-12-2015, 04:01 AM   #264
scottw

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sea Dangles View Post
I have a solid fact for you. The real catholic church is happy to take the money of anybody who calls themselves catholic. And trust me when I tell you that the more they give,the more they are welcome.
can't disagree with that....my biggest disappointment with the church beyond the scandals is the incessant fundraising apparatus.....I have piles of envelopes at my house from multiple church's requesting donations for everything under the sun, newsletters telling you how much of your "time, talent and treasure" that you "should" be contributing...everything has a fee attached to it...not unlike government except that it's still voluntary(if you want to get to heaven)
Old 11-12-2015, 07:29 AM   #265
buckman

Quote:
Not sure you're speaking from experience or hearsay , but I'm pretty sure that can be said of most religions . One thing I do find ironic about the whole abortion thing on this site. Some would defend the commercial harvesting a baby body parts but lambaste the commercial harvesting a striped bass .
Old 11-12-2015, 07:42 AM   #266
Sea Dangles

I guess I havent noticed that
Old 11-12-2015, 09:16 AM   #267
Jim in CT

Quote:
More of that happens than I would care to admit.

What do they do with that money? Any guesses?
Old 11-12-2015, 09:23 AM   #268
Nebe

Quote:
More of that happens than I would care to admit.

What do they do with that money? Any guesses?
It goes to bribe Saint Peter to let you into heaven and to forget about all those sins you (the one giving all that money to the church) racked up over the years.

Oh wait. It's going to all the males who were sexually abused / raped by those who called them selves messengers of gods will and word.
Old 11-12-2015, 09:35 AM   #269
Jim in CT

Quote:
It goes to bribe Saint Peter to let you into heaven and to forget about all those sins you (the one giving all that money to the church) racked up over the years.

Oh wait. It's going to all the males who were sexually abused / raped by those who called them selves messengers of gods will and word.
Whatever.

Last night Nebe, some of your fellow citizens received a free meal at a Catholic soup kitchen, free healthcare at a Cathoilic hospital, free boarding at a Catholic shelter, adoption services at a Catholic entity, and subsidized education at Catholic schools. None of that stuff is free.

Liberals claim that conservatives don't care about helping the
poor, then Sea Dangles acts like the church needs to be called out for aggressive fundraising to do just that. Can't win.

And everyone involved in the sexual abuse, should be in jail.
Old 11-12-2015, 11:32 AM   #270
spence

Quote:
Whether or not a pro-abortion politician actually gets ex-communicated is up to their local bishop. Some have been. All are subject to it. There's no ambiguity around whether or not their beliefs subject them to excommunication. Unfortunately, there's no rule that requires the bishops to do it.
What about all the pro-choice Catholic organizations? They're all fake as well? Why not get the bishops to push them all out, I mean they're not really Catholics right?

Is it possible the Church's position isn't really that black and white because they need the people or to Dangles point because they want the money?

If the Church is willing to compromise a fundamental tenant what does that say about it's faith?