Striper Talk Striped Bass Fishing, Surfcasting, Boating

Left Nav S-B Home Register FAQ Members List S-B on Facebook Arcade WEAX Tides Buoys Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Right Nav

Left Container Right Container

Go Back   Striper Talk Striped Bass Fishing, Surfcasting, Boating » Main Forum » Kayaking

Kayaking After the frequent attempts at Bribery, beatings, and simply getting towed at Sunrise - S-B opens the Kayak Forums Also see http://www.ultimatekayakfishing.com

Old 03-04-2011, 07:23 AM   #1
BigFish
BigFish Bait Co.

Send a message via AIM to BigFish
What Are/Is "Yak Rats"??

"Yak Rats" is simply an organized group of our own S-B members who happen to be kayak fishermen! The only things you need to join are a kayak, a fishing rod and a desire to have alot of fun with your fellow "Yak Rats"! "Yak Rats" get together for what we call "Scrambles"!

A "Scramble" is a scheduled get together where "Yak Rats" meet at a designated location (we try to always fish new places as a way to broaden our horizons and open us up to so many beautiful areas we are fortunate to have access to) at a designated time to kayak fish and spend the day just enjoying our mutual passions.....kayaking and fishing! We meet mostly on weekends and/or holidays but a "Scramble" can take place whenever 2 or more "Yak Rats" can meet to fish together! The name "Scramble" is used because due to weather considerations. Though most get togethers are scheduled in advance, changes in wind and weather can always be a factor and could alter our plans at the last minute causing us to change locations or "Scramble"! Anyone can organize a "Scramble" and we will have different "Yak Rats" organizing them in different locations this season. Many "Scrambles" will either include a "Lunch" to be brought along or it may be followed by a cookout either at a location nearby or at a fellow "Yak Rats" home.

If anyone has questions about getting together with us please feel free to post your questions in this forum.....all are welcome and we really have a great time with some great people......and "Tagger"!

Last edited by BigFish; 03-04-2011 at 08:40 AM..

Almost time to get our fish on!!!
BigFish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2011, 07:51 AM   #2
The Dad Fisherman
Super Moderator

There ya go all "Stuck" for you

"If you're arguing with an idiot, make sure he isn't doing the same thing."
The Dad Fisherman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2011, 03:21 PM   #3
MaineRob
Onboard "Leave Me Alone"

Thumbs up

What a great idea! I hope to join in on a few of these to expand my fishing options.
MaineRob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2011, 04:36 PM   #4
BigFish
BigFish Bait Co.

Having a "Scramble" in Maine wouldn't be a bad thing??

Old 03-13-2011, 05:14 PM   #5
MaineRob
Onboard "Leave Me Alone"

After seeing this thread I spent some time reviewing a history of posts from last season and got to see you guys in action in John R's year in review video. All good stuff. I'm not much of a night time kayaker so I was looking to check out when you guys typically set out. Was glad to see the sunrise gatherings and the discussion of lunch time rations! I will definately try and participate early in the season and maybe follow the stripers to Maine!
MaineRob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2011, 05:19 PM   #6
BigFish
BigFish Bait Co.

Alot of the ones we had were sunrise starts when possible....others could be tide dependent with the time to launch being later in the morning. Mid Summer an early start is a must due to the heat so there are many things to consider when I setup a "Scramble" but thats just me. The North River "Scramble" we lucked out to have the tide coincide with an early morning launch.....we needed a dropping tide for that one and it lined up perfect with an early start! We will be doing a few night time "Scrambles" though!

Old 04-07-2011, 09:40 AM   #7
StripedBassJeff

Hey bob you told me to join this forum a while a go. Was looking for a kayak buddy and you told me to come here.
Posted from my iPhone/Mobile device
StripedBassJeff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2014, 04:15 PM   #8
wdmso

I am in but I work most Saturdays anyone do any slinging eels at 3 am "Scrambles"?
wdmso is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2018, 06:50 AM   #9
BigFish
BigFish Bait Co.

I miss the "Yak Rat" crew and our "Scrambles"!