Striper Talk Striped Bass Fishing, Surfcasting, Boating

Left Nav S-B Home Register FAQ Members List S-B on Facebook Arcade WEAX Tides Buoys Calendar Today's Posts Right Nav

Left Container Right Container

Go Back   Striper Talk Striped Bass Fishing, Surfcasting, Boating » Striper Chat - Discuss stuff other than fishing ~ The Scuppers and Political talk » Political Threads

Political Threads This section is for Political Threads - Enter at your own risk. If you say you don't want to see what someone posts - don't read it :hihi:

Old 11-26-2010, 08:48 AM   #1
saltydog

I think he nailed on this one

By Rush Limbaugh:
>
> I think the vast differences in compensation between victims of the September 11 casualty and those who die serving our country in Uniform are profound. No one is really talking about it either, because you just don't criticize anything having to do with September 11. Well, I can't let the numbers pass by because it says something really disturbing about the entitlement mentality of this country. If you lost a family member in the September 11 attack, you're going to get an average of $1,185,000. The range is a minimum guarantee of $250,000, all the way up to $4.7 million. If you are a surviving family member of an American soldier killed in action, the first check you get is a $6,000 direct death benefit, half of which is taxable.
>
>
> Next, you get $1,750 for burial costs. If you are the surviving spouse, you get $833 a month until you remarry. And there's a payment of $211 per month for each child under 18. When the child hits 18, those payments come to a screeching halt.
>
>
> Keep in mind that some of the people who are getting an average of $1.185 million up to $4.7 million are complaining that it's not enough. Their deaths were tragic, but for most, they were simply in the wrong place at the wrong time. Soldiers put themselves in harms way FOR ALL OF US, and they and their families know the dangers... (Actually, soldiers are put in harms way by politicians and commanding officers.)
>
>
> We also learned over the weekend that some of the victims from the Oklahoma City bombing have started an organization asking for the same deal that the September 11 families are getting. In addition to that, some of the families of those bombed in the embassies are now asking for compensation as well.
>
>
> You see where this is going, don't you? Folks, this is part and parcel of over 50 years of entitlement politics in this country. It's just really sad. Every time a pay raise comes up for the military, they usually receive next to nothing of a raise. Now the green machine is in combat in the Middle East while their families have to survive on food stamps and live in low-rent housing. Make sense?
>
>
> However, our own US Congress voted themselves a raise. Many of you don't know that they only have to be in Congress one time to receive a pension that is more than $15,000 per month. And most are now equal to being millionaires plus. They do not receive Social Security on retirement because they didn't have to pay into the system. If some of the military people stay in for 20 years and get out as an E-7, they may receive a pension of $1,000 per month, and the very people whoplaced them in harm's way receives a pension of $15,000 per month.
>
> I would like to see our elected officials pick up a weapon and join ranks before they start cutting out benefits and lowering pay for our sons and daughters who are now fighting.
> "When do we finally do something about this?"
> If this doesn't seem fair to you, it's time to forward this to as many people as you can...
> If you wish to.
>
> GOOD LUCK HAPPY HOLIDAYS

Old 11-26-2010, 08:59 AM   #2
basswipe

You don't even have to be a Limbaugh fan to agree with that.

That's just the plain truth of the matter.Sad.
Old 11-26-2010, 09:06 AM   #3
Raven

i'm proud of our Vets in service

but what our government does in many
instances concerning them is down right
shameful and pathetic.
Old 11-26-2010, 10:04 AM   #4
striperman36
Old Guy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Raven View Post
i'm proud of our Vets in service

but what our government does in many
instances concerning them is down right
shameful and pathetic.
Every war it's come down to this, the Revolutionary War, Civil, WWI, all had vets protest in DC for compensation and pay post war.
The people never learn, the aristocrary apparently has.
Old 11-26-2010, 10:59 AM   #5
Nebe

Rush is right
Posted from my iPhone/Mobile device
Old 11-26-2010, 03:16 PM   #6
scottw

these politicians can never collect enough other people's money...

John Kerry: Deck my halls Rich Pol urges strapped donors to give
By Hillary Chabot
Friday, November 26, 2010 -

Battle-weary Bay State Democrats are getting squeezed by U.S. Sen. John F. Kerry this Christmas, as the nation’s richest senator puts the arm on cash-strapped party donors to fill his campaign war chest — even though he’s not up for re-election for another four years.

“I think people feel very tapped-out,” said Phil Johnston, former Massachusetts Democratic Party chairman, who is helping to organize Kerry’s Dec. 13 gala. Johnston, who said he is seeing steady ticket sales, still expects a full house.

The state’s senior senator — recently ranked the nation’s richest with $2.7 million in his campaign coffers and an estimated net worth of $239 million — is asking fellow Democrats to open their wallets yet again after they dug deep during a hard-fought election year. His extravaganza at the Boston Symphony — where tickets range from $75 to $4,800 — could be a tough sell as the party’s rank-and-file struggles through another Christmas in a tough economy.

“For Democrats, there’s a bit of fatigue — people have been giving aggressively,” said Democratic consultant Scott M. Ferson, president of the Liberty Square Group. “But we need John Kerry now more than ever. He’s one of the few (Massachusetts) Democrats left in a leadership position.”

Kerry put up $85,000 in campaign cash to rent the 2,000-seat Boston Symphony, where Boston Pops maestro Keith Lockhart, singer James Taylor and actor-director Ben Affleck are expected to appear.

Boston University pol-itical professor Thomas Whalen said the extravagant blowout — meant to celebrate Kerry’s 25 years in the Senate and 45 years of public service — could be a turnoff to struggling Bay Staters
Old 11-29-2010, 09:39 AM   #7
Swimmer
Retired Surfer

I could puke right now

Swimmer a.k.a. YO YO MA
Serial Mailbox Killer/Seal Fisherman
Old 11-29-2010, 10:27 AM   #8
UserRemoved1
Permanently Disconnected

Got an extra bucket?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Swimmer View Post
I could puke right now
Old 11-29-2010, 06:39 PM   #9
Backbeach Jake

If there were equality between the average Joe and the leaders of this country most of our problems would be solved. As long as the jackasses in Washington put themselves on a pedestal and control their own wages and benefits, everyone else will continue to be screwed. They have no sympathy or empathy because they have no clue. They should have no greater benefits or income than the average citizen.

What do you bet that the guy who mopped the floors or cleaned the toilets gets 250,000? I bet his family gets brushed aside altogether.

He that would make his own liberty secure, must guard even his enemy from oppression; for if he violates this duty, he establishes a precedent that will reach to himself.
Thomas Paine
Old 11-30-2010, 09:17 AM   #10
Sea Dangles

Kerry is the ass that had a fire hydrant moved from the front of his Beacon Hill residencce so he could park closer.A real man of the people.

PRO CHOICE REPUBLICAN
Old 11-30-2010, 06:13 PM   #11
Backbeach Jake

I really wonder if that inbred knows why that hydrant was there...

He that would make his own liberty secure, must guard even his enemy from oppression; for if he violates this duty, he establishes a precedent that will reach to himself.
Thomas Paine
Old 11-30-2010, 07:22 PM   #12
JohnnyD

I've been very vocal that our soldiers aren't paid enough, the families of soldiers KIA do not receive enough support and the lack of outcry and support of the soldiers is ridiculous. The above is why I try to do what I can to help by donating my company's services for veteran-related functions whenever I can.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sea Dangles View Post
Kerry is the ass that had a fire hydrant moved from the front of his Beacon Hill residencce so he could park closer.A real man of the people.
At least he and his wife paid for it.

"After receiving a permit from the Boston Water and Sewer Commission, Heinz and her husband hired a private crew to move the hydrant that was in front of their house around the corner, to another side of their property.

They also are paying for sewer and sidewalk work in the area around their house. Kerry's office won't disclose the project's cost.

Steve McDonald, spokesman for the Fire Department, said the request was approved by the neighborhood's district chief, who went to the site and found that the move would not block anyone else's parking or affect the department's firefighting ability.

"It's not common," McDonald said. "But the fact is, anyone can request it, and if it's reasonable and they're willing to pay for it, it's usually not a problem.""
Senator's Wife Pulls Plug on Fire Hydrant - Los Angeles Times

I'd be curious to Rush's source about Congressional Pensions because it sounds like a load of BS.
"As of 2007, the average annuities for retired members of Congress were $63,696 for those who retired under CSRS and $36,732 for those who retired under FERS. Those figures are quite good (about "2-3 times more generous than what a similarly-salaried executive could expect to receive upon retiring from the private sector," according to the National Taxpayers Union), but not quite the lavish endowments these e-mails make them out to be. "

Rush's ridiculous claim of $15,000/month means that a one-term Congressman would receive $180,000/year from his pension, which is interesting considering John McCain makes $174,000.

This is the issue with Rush Limbaugh's lemmings who take whatever he says as gospel without digging into his "facts".