Striper Talk Striped Bass Fishing, Surfcasting, Boating

Left Nav S-B Home Register FAQ Members List S-B on Facebook Arcade WEAX Tides Buoys Calendar Today's Posts Right Nav

Left Container Right Container

Go Back   Striper Talk Striped Bass Fishing, Surfcasting, Boating » Striper Chat - Discuss stuff other than fishing ~ The Scuppers and Political talk » Grumpy Old Pharts Board

Grumpy Old Pharts Board Gerritol, Ex-Lax, Immodium, Bad Breath - all requirements for the Grumpy Board

Old 05-15-2010, 08:31 PM   #1
Finaddict

Bad Experience with Cabelas Customer Service

So went up to Cabelas a few weeks back to check out their waders and wading boots ... it was a nice experience, they gave me a great refund (like $50) on some wading boots that lasted barely two seasons ... i was remakably surprised ...

... so I picked up two pairs of waders, a pair of Simms wading boots, a few other minor things and a set of Ross Pliers ... they were on sale for $99.98 from $179.98 ... I wanted to ensure that the pliers would cut braid, while I normally carry those little kid scissors, I figured if I could buy someting that did both, why not? The guy behind the counter assured me they'd cut braid because he just cut a 6/0 hook with them as a test ... and a guy there tested them on a piece of braid off a spool on the wall. I did not look at the test. Total bill was more than $500 and with the refund amount, close to that amount.

Got home, picked up the pliers and tried to cut off some 20-pound braid on a reel to test the pliers and to get the line stripped off the reel at the tackle shop ... pliers did not cut the braid ... tried it a few times ... still no cut ... tried it with mono and cut the mono fine ... and then headed down to Surfland B&T - and anyone who knows Kay knows that she knows her stuff, and runs a top-notch tackle shop. Still didn't cut braid ... had two people there try it, cutting 20-pound braid.

... so I called Cabelas in Scarborough, ME, where I purchased the pliers, the customer service representative said to send them back ... two weeks later (today), I get an envelope ... inside is a gift card ... wanted $$ instead of a gift card to Cabelas ... but figured it was okay, eventually I may need something ... but the card is only for $50 ... they reduced the cost of the original gift card from the refund of the pliers ... not cool.

Called the store and got the run around ...

... so I made a few mistakes ... first was to listen to some hack trying to get rid of the pliers ... I am not sure he knew what he was talking about ...

I haven't used anything that I purchased from Cabelas on that trip, will forego fishing tomorrow to haul all the way back up to Scarborough to get a complete refund ... I will never shop there again ...

... am I over reacting? ... probably yes ... but forget it, if they are going to try and knickle and dime me ... I will have nothing to do with them. I will trash Cabelas at every turn from here on in ... may not have that much of an impact, but if I can get them to lose a few sales ... than my goal is achieved ...

... that is why I have always trusted the local tackle shops that I knew were reliable, and sorry that I did not follow my rule in this case ... especially to shop at Cabelas ... that's all this cry baby has to say ... but avoid Cabelas ... have I said it enough?

Last edited by Finaddict; 05-16-2010 at 02:18 PM..

"It was the blackest night! There was no moon in sight! (You know the stars ain't shinnin cause the sky's too tight) "
Finaddict is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2010, 08:46 PM   #2
JamesJet

surprised

Wow I am really surprised to hear that. I have had nothing but good things to say about Cabelas.

Sorry to hear it and hope it all works out
JamesJet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2010, 09:01 PM   #3
Finaddict

Yeah thanks ... Cabelas is good for somethings, but when it comes to serious fishing gear ... I stick to the local tackle shops that I can trust ... Surfland, M&Ds, Saltwater Edge ... and many others, but these are the places to buy tackle because they know what they are talking about and will give you the service because you have relationships with them ... big chains like Cabelas hire people who don't necessarily have the experience but like to pretend they do. Again, local shops for me here on in ... and nothing to do with Cabelas ...

"It was the blackest night! There was no moon in sight! (You know the stars ain't shinnin cause the sky's too tight) "
Old 05-15-2010, 09:35 PM   #4
Raven

first of ALL

YES......you have your PANTIES all in A BUNCH
excuse the reference but yes you are OVER reacting and yes they did PISS you off/// ok we agree on that...

But you got other GOOD stuff! no sense back pedaling to return it all
keep it...cuz ya need it all.............except the pliers right?

don't burn your Bridges ...its a bad habit

and LET us be your VOICE
we'll conduct a massive protest saying we will all Boycott them unless you get satisfaction from Cabelas

...OR plan B. i think you should just mellow out and cruise over to the Cabelas in Connecticut ok ....and say absolutely nothing then repeat the experiment at the pliers section and have the sales person try and cut some braid...

if they fail then you whip out your pliers and your receipt "good at any Cabelas" and say ya know? that's why i bought these...and they don't cut it either............ that's unfortunate

So, i would like a refund on this particular item and be very professional about your request. If they say NO, then say very politely : i'd like to speak to the MANAGER please and they have to honor your request if your professional not emotional.

be like
commander Spock and use nothing but LOGIC

explain that you have the ear of more than 2000 members of the saltwater community and that's on just one SITE and you will
create a MASSIVE ANTI CABELAS campaign that will loose them
countless thousands of dollars in sales if we cannot come to a satisfactory compromise on this matter.

that should get his attention i would think.

you have ultimate power now..... your trying to use the Sword instead of the PEN ,
out of ANGER and it's not the good WAY
Raven is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2010, 06:41 AM   #5
Joe

Really, if we remove the bad advice about the pliers, you were treated well. I know this has become something more personal to you, but that never would have arisen if we remove the original issue. Kind of like a pitcher who would have been out of a jam had it not been for a fielding error that leads to a big inning.

If you want to shop at Cabela's and save some money that's cool - but accompanying the savings is the assumption that the buyer must be educated. You just need to have done your homework and been as sure about your purchase of a big ticket item beforehand as you are about a package of Storm Swim Shads.

Joe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2010, 07:34 AM   #6
spence

Wait...

Do I read this to mean that you paid $100 for a pair of pliers that didn't function as advertised, yet when you returned them they only refunded you $50 because they already gave you $50 for the boots?

If so, I'd get my other $50 back. That's unacceptable.

-spence
spence is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2010, 11:06 AM   #7
Finaddict

Quote:
Originally Posted by spence View Post
Wait...

Do I read this to mean that you paid $100 for a pair of pliers that didn't function as advertised, yet when you returned them they only refunded you $50 because they already gave you $50 for the boots?

If so, I'd get my other $50 back. That's unacceptable.

-spence
That's my complaint ... yes, that they short changed me $50, not even $50 because they also gave me a store credit. I can use that in the future, and if they gave me the full $100 credit, I would have been slightly miffed, but I could have used it for other stuff that I actually need ...

... that is why I am getting my panties in a bunch, and the other mistake was that I mailed it back ... they are supposed to be calling me back today ... we will see how it goes, but yes, I will use the power of thousands of fishermen and more ... as making news is my business ...

Old 05-16-2010, 11:51 AM   #8
likwid
lobster = striper bait

Send a message via AIM to likwid
Ross Pescadors?

Call Ross.
They'll replace them.

Ski Quicks Hole
likwid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2010, 02:17 PM   #9
Finaddict

Too late, but I took the suggestions from Raven and had a decent conversation ... they gave me partial refund and the store credit ... so it will work out ... I had already returned the pliers, so there's not much I could have done ... the other thing is that the person last night was not interested in helping ... apparently I called 15 minutes before closing ... so she was more interested in leaving than helping.

The two people I spoke with this morning were much more friendly and helpful ... took a long time, but it got resolved.

Old 05-16-2010, 02:28 PM   #10
spence

Generally speaking, unless you're really trying to screw them over...the consumer will always win in these situations as long as you don't quit. Especially with the bigger companies like Cabelas.

-spence
spence is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2010, 03:19 PM   #11
Finaddict

Yeah ... I was just taken back a bit by the reaction of the woman yesterday evening ...

Old 05-16-2010, 03:38 PM   #12
Raven

Thumbs up Thats GREAT ANDY BRAVO!

sometimes your Button gets pushed for all the wrong reasons...

so anybody out there have the best IDEA for cutting BRAIDED LINE?

and By the way ANDY, my wife spent many years working in PUBLIC SERVICE JOBS

now she deals with people internationally everyday

i have learned allot from her

and my DAD

He used to trade millions of dollars in BONDS every day
so he knew a thing or two about getting results

i used to LOVE watching him rattle their cages and go right to the top of the food chain
with his excellent technique and negotiating style.

MY favorite line of his was.... LET ME SPEAK TO YOUR SUPERVISOR ! get him or her on the phone.

he was a powerhouse... LOL
Raven is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2010, 04:05 PM   #13
Finaddict

Craig ... yeah that is a good one ... but I must say I only tried it once, maybe twice, but the time I am thinking of didn't go so well ...

... I was waiting in the Miami airport on my way to a tradeshow in New Orleans ... overloaded with too much stuff for the show, should have packed more of it or sent it ahead.

Wanted to ensure I got the first seat on the plane ... so i was watching the gate desk for when the clerk came on ... it was before it was done on the Internet ... so the guy shows up to the desk ... I run over with my arms full ... including a hard copy of the Tom Wolfe book, "A Man in Full." An extra large book, not ideal for traveling with ...

... added to that, I had just taken my insulin to be ready to eat lunch, but the guy came up and I postponed my eating ... which was a mistake ...

... the guy told me it was too early, I said, if it's okay, I will just read my book right here .. and laid my gigantic book on the counter ... the dude put his brief case on top of my book with intention ... it caught me the wrong way ... talk about pushing buttons ...

... I said F#*@ You, let me speak with your supervisor ... the guy came around the counter looking like he wanted to fight, he was about four inches taller than me ... we sat nose to nose for a few minutes and then he said come this way ...

... we walked over to a police officer ... as we were approaching, the guard dropped his head back and rolled his eyes like this guy had done that a lot ... he started to shake his head ... the guy said he felt I was a risk to the flight and he was not comfortable with me flying ...

... when the guy walked away, the gaurd muttered that this particular person was a total a$$ and said that we needed to go downstairs get the manager and he'd put me right back on the flight ...

... when we went downstairs to the ticket counter, the guard explained what had happened, the manager was furious ... he started calling the desk upstairs to get the guy to let me on the flight, but the guy didn't answer it ... that infuriated the manager even more ... so I was sitting there, overloaded with too much work related stuff, a giant book and low blood sugar ...and that airline manager was not pleased, not at me but the shnook at the desk upstairs ...

... I asked him why he just didn't walk upstairs and teach that guy a lesson ... the manager wasn't allowed to leave his post ... so I wound up jumping on the next flight about an hour-and-a-half later ... which was a pain ...

... but it's one thing that I won't do again, no how much of a jerk the desk clerk happens to be on a flight ... actually, they tend to be pretty cool for the most part, as they want to passengers to get on the planes and out of their hair ... but foul language doesn't do much good in those situations. That was in the mid-1990s.

Old 05-18-2010, 12:55 AM   #14
maddog2020

Raven:

Best braid cutting device are the $4.00 Fiskars® Children's Safety Scissors. Lots of the stores now carry cheaper knock offs - they work, too, but the Fiskars are better quality. You can buy a 12 pack of the Fiskars for about $40 shipped.
maddog2020 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2010, 05:15 AM   #15
The Dad Fisherman
Super Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by maddog2020 View Post
Raven:

Best braid cutting device are the $4.00 Fiskars® Children's Safety Scissors. Lots of the stores now carry cheaper knock offs - they work, too, but the Fiskars are better quality. You can buy a 12 pack of the Fiskars for about $40 shipped.

Yep....you gave me that tidbit of advice when I first signed up on this board....still carry them. Nothing cuts braid better IMHO.

"If you're arguing with an idiot, make sure he isn't doing the same thing."
The Dad Fisherman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2010, 11:45 AM   #16
Rockport24
President - S-B Chapter - Kelly Clarkson Fan Club

well sounds like this resolved but I too am a little dissapointed at cabelas for putting you through this as I've had nothing but great experiences with them.

That said, I've never tried to return anything in-store. I've always just talked to their customer service reps through the website. They've replaced two pairs of leaky waders for me without any problems.
Rockport24 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2011, 10:27 AM   #17
kitty308

Cabela's Customer Service

Question did you include a copy of your original store receipt for proof of purchase when you returned it? Without it they give you the lowest price on an item. Company policy if a gift card was used on the purchase They are required1st refund to the gift card or issue a new one; any amount still owed after that would go on the credit card. Anytime you have an issue at a store or with a refund Call Customer Services Direct line for the call center 800/237-8888 mon-fri 7-11pm cst or Sat 7-5pm Cst closed Sundays & limited hours on holidays 800/237-4444 is order department they can do some stuff for you but usually have to transfer you & this time of year there is 15-45 min hold time depending on what time of day you call. They can file a negative comment for you about the store AND can look into why you didn't get a full refund or purchase price on your item. Also if you really don't want the gift card & have proof of purchase they can put in a request to get you it back to the credit card. If you do not still have the receipt they can look up your purchase with your credit card
kitty308 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2011, 11:13 AM   #18
JohnR
Certifiable Intertidal Anguiologist

Kitty, no disrespect, please don't dredge up 6 month old threads for people complaining about Cabelas or sales product without fully disclosing where you work.

As for discussion regarding sales and product from a commercial entity, like Penn, we do have a policy regarding "Commercial self promotion", there is none.

Now if you would like to particpate, in a customer oriented, non-sales driven manner, or better yet, just talk fishin', please jump right in

~Fix the Bait~ ~Pogies Forever~

Striped Bass Fishing - All Stripers

Kobayashi Maru Election - there is no way to win.

Apocalypse is Coming:
JohnR is offline   Reply With Quote