Striper Talk Striped Bass Fishing, Surfcasting, Boating

Left Nav S-B Home Register FAQ Members List S-B on Facebook Arcade WEAX Tides Buoys Calendar Today's Posts Right Nav

Left Container Right Container

Go Back   Striper Talk Striped Bass Fishing, Surfcasting, Boating » Build Stuff: Custom Plug & Lure Building, Rod Building » Plug Building - Got Wood?

Plug Building - Got Wood? Got Plug?

Old 03-16-2011, 06:40 PM   #1
Muskyslayer96

E-tex measuring

Hey guys,

I measure my E-tex by volume using a graduated medicine cup on a leveling tray and always warm the E-tex so it pours easier and then measure equal volumes (1 dram resin, 1 dram hardener), resin first then hardener. Every once in awhile I mix a bad batch and it turns out a little hazy, i figure i just was off a little.
I noticed in some threads that others measure by weight. Today i used my mini balance on the leveling tray with the same cups and mixed 2 batches and noticed that they resin and hardener do not weigh the same for equal volume.
Has anybody else noticed this, or is my balance off?
I would really like to know if others measure by weight, and in my estimation, by adding resin first, then hardener, you would actually have a larger volume of hardener in the mix. AM I CORRECT

Do other get a perfect mix every time this way? if so i would change in a heartbeat to better my odds of a perfect mix every time and not have plug anxiety every time I'm ready to clear a batch.

thanks for your input

MS
Muskyslayer96 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2011, 08:00 PM   #2
Sgt Striper

Do not mix Etex by weight, it is equal amounts by volume!! Best way to measure out and not have problems is to use syringes like the ones sold for rod epoxy. I use this method and have NEVER had a problem. When mixing make sure to turn cup at angle and scape down the sides as you mix.
Yes you are correct, I forget who, but one of the other builders had weighted the full etex bottles and there was a difference in weight between the two!

"The lips stand out because she wants to suck on your Pikie."....Mike Laptew
Van Staal Service/Repair Technician
Sgt Striper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2011, 07:10 AM   #3
Muskyslayer96

Guys,

Thanks for the tips, yeah the baits have a bit of a dull haze and not glass shine (Should always stay with what works!!!)

Just re-coat with correct mix and should be fine?

Thanks again,

MS
Muskyslayer96 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2011, 07:18 AM   #4
wrikerjr

put the hardener in first and then the resin.

Syringes are for drugies and plug builders
wrikerjr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2011, 08:53 AM   #5
ecduzitgood
time to go

Use more than one container to mix it, I pour equal amounts into one container and mix while scrapping the sides and when I feel it is mixed well I transfer it to another container and mix a little more. By using more than one container you eliminate the poorly mixed liquid that clings to the sides of the first container, which is where I believe the problems come from.
ecduzitgood is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2011, 09:15 PM   #6
stripermaineiac

I've been mixin epoxy for a loooonnnnggg time building rods. It's all in the measure then in how you mix it. I use a metal spatula that's approx3/16 across. even a bad mix should be clear when mixed thorough. I use plastic mix cups and put both in the same cup and mix slow paying very clos attention to bubbles and such. I've coated approx 2000 plugs with etex in the last yr with it and rarely have a prob using a 2 dram mix of both parts.When i do I recoat within 24 hrs to get good adheasion. If it's still sticky in 12 hrs it's not gonna cure right.Recoat it. Don't go by weight whatever you do cause the are different.You can be a very small amount off and it will still work but you need to be as close as possible with your measure. Also be carefull the surface your covering with etex is clean ist.
stripermaineiac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2011, 05:30 AM   #7
Eric Roach
Big E

Haze might be from amine blush(if ET is indeed amine-cured). I've had this problem occasionally in the past with thread wraps on rods -- even on epoxy that fully cured.

If cured, you might want to try and wash off the milky residue with mild soap and water before re-coating, it could be just on the surface.
Eric Roach is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2011, 03:46 PM   #8
old timer
old timer

I have been mixing Etex by weight for many years with no problems. To get the weight ratio I weighed the resin and hardener right out of the box, and assuming the containers weighed the same,established the weight ratio was 0.87 gm of hardener to 1.00 gm of resin . So for 2gm resin,add 1.74gm hardener,for 3gm resin add 2.60gm hardener....and so on. I use a triple beam balance to make the measurements but the scale you use to weigh your plugs will probably suffice. Most important in using Etex is to adhere to the recommended humidity and temperature conditions.and to mix well, vigorously, for at least two minutes.
Note:don't mix more than 6gm of resin or the mix will start to stiffen before you finish ( about six large plugs in my case).
old timer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2011, 06:32 PM   #9
Pete F.
Canceled

I would tell you how to do it my way and that it always works perfectly, but that would give me the curse. It's epoxy and temp and humidity matter also. I use medicine cups and pour in to X line and then the second part to double that, mix with the handle end of the last paintbrush I used to coat with for twice as long as I think I should. Make sure I scrape the sides as I mix. I quit smoking but used to mix for about a whole butt.

Frasier: Niles, I’ve just had the most marvelous idea for a website! People will post their opinions, cheeky bon mots, and insights, and others will reply in kind!

Niles: You have met “people”, haven’t you?

Lets Go Darwin
Pete F. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2011, 06:32 PM   #10
pbadad

Fool proof method: Rod builders syringes. 3cc or 12cc. Both are graduated.

Billy D.
pbadad is offline   Reply With Quote