Striper Talk Striped Bass Fishing, Surfcasting, Boating

Left Nav S-B Home Register FAQ Members List S-B on Facebook Arcade WEAX Tides Buoys Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Right Nav

Left Container Right Container

Go Back   Striper Talk Striped Bass Fishing, Surfcasting, Boating » Striper Chat - Discuss stuff other than fishing ~ The Scuppers and Political talk » Political Threads

Political Threads This section is for Political Threads - Enter at your own risk. If you say you don't want to see what someone posts - don't read it :hihi:

Old 11-05-2017, 10:04 PM   #1
zimmy

crickets...

what a surprise

No, no, no. we’re 30… 30, three zero.
Old 11-05-2017, 11:45 PM   #2
Sea Dangles

Is there something that you would like to discuss Zimmy?
Posted from my iPhone/Mobile device
Old 11-06-2017, 07:58 AM   #3
Got Stripers
Ledge Runner Baits

I'll go, I"m sure others like me were thinking it would only be a short time until another (yeah non Muslim, non radicalized) person with a life experience or two recent or past, that would push him or her over the edge. And of course the lucky recipients of their anger are unfortunate that they have access to an arsenal of assault type rifles and even without the advantages of the bump stocks that did so much damage in Vegas, they easily and quickly kill dozens or more.

Like I said in one of the other threads, I'd be worried about someone just like anyone on this board with access to these types of weapons, with a life changing experience putting them in a very dark place with a need to vent that anger. We legislate the amount of fertilizer you can buy, we legislate seat belt laws, the amount of alcohol you can legally have in order to drive, all to save a life or two; I think it's time to legislate some sensible gun laws to save thousands every year.

Our founding fathers just finished a bloody war, against what they viewed as a tyrannical government, which was the reason they penned 27 words to insure they could form a militia and have the arms to do so. Does anyone really see any circumstance in our lifetime or your kids, where we need to take up arms against our own government? Also consider their time and place, where aside from a cannon position from a fort or ship, they were all basically playing on the same single shot playing field.

Imagine your a responsible father or grandfather and your AR's are properly locked away and safe from all.....or so you thought. Like many parents, we are sometimes blindsided by finding out what some of our teens or young sons and daughters are dealing with, be it bullying, drugs, rape, PTSD; you pick a life changing emotional experience. Imagine getting the call at work from the FBI wanting to talk to you, asking you how your son or daughter had access (locks aren't a guarantee) to your AR rifles, then asking if you have seen the news?

Be safe and check your locks boys.
Old 11-06-2017, 08:12 AM   #4
spence

Stop making sense. Please.
Old 11-06-2017, 08:17 AM   #5
PaulS

Now is not the time to discuss gun control.
Old 11-06-2017, 08:26 AM   #6
scottw

Quote:
Originally Posted by Got Stripers View Post
I'll go,

I think it's time to legislate some sensible gun laws to save thousands every year.
what specifically would you like to see done
Old 11-06-2017, 08:32 AM   #7
JohnR
Certifiable Intertidal Anguiologist

Geee - beginning to sound like another lost boy. Gonna be real interesting when we find out his motivation.

Dishonorable discharge so shouldn't have legal access to a firearm, would not pass a federal background check - just like many other people that commit crimes / homicides with illegally procured weapons.

~Fix the Bait~ ~Pogies Forever~

Striped Bass Fishing - All Stripers

Kobayashi Maru Election - there is no way to win.

Apocalypse is Coming:
Old 11-06-2017, 08:56 AM   #8
Nebe

We live in a #^&#^&#^&#^&ed up world.
Old 11-06-2017, 09:05 AM   #9
spence

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nebe View Post
Do not worry. We have strong leadership to give us direction.
Old 11-06-2017, 09:30 AM   #10
Jim in CT

Quote:
Originally Posted by PaulS View Post
Now is not the time to discuss gun control.
It really pisses me off when conservatives say that, because if the guy was a Muslim, now WOULD be the right time for conservatives to talk about immigration control.

Another loser whose sick fantasies were obviously fueled by the appearance of his weapon of choice. The rifle was his Facebook profile pic, with a comment something like "she's a nasty little b*tch".

Our moral compass is badly broken, we have huge numbers of kids being raised without dads, we have a major political party that never stops making fun of people who go to church, we have the internet (a place where weirdos can retreat deeper into their fantasies, and get further away from having real connections with real people). And we also have the other major political party making it impossible to have an intelligent conversation about the subject of guns.

To the liberals: everybody in the Dakotas has guns, yet they have almost zero gun crime. So maybe instead of constantly making fun of those people as "bitter clingers" and "deplorable", just maybe, there are some lessons to be learned from that culture, about how to treat others. Maybe we should be encouraging some of those values, instead of mocking them. And we need to talk about curbing the graphic violence that comes out of Hollywood. It's not easy to have a rational conversation with liberals on this subject.

To the conservatives: yes, the gun in this case is an inanimate object. But it's nonsense to act as if the gun played no bigger role in this, than his shoelaces. I have no idea, none whatsoever, what hypothetical law might have stopped this, or at least reduced the body count. But there are some laws that can reduce the body count in some cases, we need to stop pretending that's not the case. It's not easy to have a rational conversation with conservatives on this subject.

People on both sides, as soon as they here anything that doesn't serve their agenda, put their fingers in their ears. No one listens. So the body count keeps raising.
Old 11-06-2017, 09:37 AM   #11
Jim in CT

Quote:
Originally Posted by spence View Post
Do not worry. We have strong leadership to give us direction.
It's the GOP's fault?

Conservatives won't budge on gun control. Liberals won't budge on the notion that secular progressive values, are morally superior, to traditional family values.

Our moral compass is badly broken, and from where I sit, much of liberalism contributes to that.

At the same time, it's way too easy to get guns/accessories that nobody needs. From where I sit, conservatism contributes to that.
Old 11-06-2017, 09:38 AM   #12
scottw

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nebe View Post
same as it ever was....
Old 11-06-2017, 09:46 AM   #13
scottw

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim in CT View Post

it's way too easy to get guns/accessories that nobody needs.
you are getting closer
Old 11-06-2017, 09:47 AM   #14
Jim in CT

Quote:
Originally Posted by scottw View Post
same as it ever was....
I don't know about that Scott. We didn't see these mass shootings a few decades ago. When my parents were young, many people left their doors unlocked at night. I don't think everything is the same. When I was 9 years old, I left my house at 8 AM, with my bike and my baseball glove, and told my parents I was going out to play, and I'd be home for dinner. They didn't know exactly where I was, but they were confident I was fine. That was common. Today, you'd be an absolute maniac to let a 9 year old have that kind of freedom, it's too dangerous.
Old 11-06-2017, 09:49 AM   #15
BigBo

Quote:
Originally Posted by Got Stripers View Post
I'll go, I"m sure others like me were thinking it would only be a short time until another (yeah non Muslim, non radicalized) person with a life experience or two recent or past, that would push him or her over the edge.
I've been reading online about his background. Discharged from the military for domestic abuse to wife and child. Joined with the Antifa movement. Recently converted to Muslim faith. Lots of stuff not being reported by MSM.

The future ain't what it used to be. --Yogi Berra
Old 11-06-2017, 10:07 AM   #16
scottw

Quote:

From where I sit
Ted kennedy and Jim are both "moderates"
Old 11-06-2017, 10:11 AM   #17
scottw

Quote:
I don't know about that Scott. We didn't see these mass shootings a few decades ago. When my parents were young, many people left their doors unlocked at night. I don't think everything is the same. When I was 9 years old, I left my house at 8 AM, with my bike and my baseball glove, and told my parents I was going out to play, and I'd be home for dinner. They didn't know exactly where I was, but they were confident I was fine. That was common. Today, you'd be an absolute maniac to let a 9 year old have that kind of freedom, it's too dangerous.
depends on where you live probably and I don't know that it's that different though the tv constantly tells us how dangerous it is out there...danger around every corner probably
Old 11-06-2017, 10:17 AM   #18
Raider Ronnie

Send a message via AIM to Raider Ronnie
I find it very predictable & ironic that every time political corruption is in the news and being exposed a mass shooting happens to knock it out of the lead story in the news.
As predictable as anyone who exposes the Clinton corruption and afterward the feel the urge to commit suicide.
Old 11-06-2017, 10:18 AM   #19
spence

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigBo View Post
Joined with the Antifa movement. Recently converted to Muslim faith. Lots of stuff not being reported by MSM.
Did you ever think maybe the MSM isn't reporting it because it's likely made up?
Old 11-06-2017, 10:29 AM   #20
wdmso

Trump says Texas shooting is a problem of mental health, not guns
called him a deranged individual,

guy kills 8 with a truck Trump calls him Trump referred to terrorism suspect Sayfullo Saipov as an "animal," and called for "swift justice" instead of regular due process.

and Blames visa program and blames political correctness for not addressing the issue

it is amazing to see to verbal gymnastics and how Consertives see the world and solution's so clearly . if its a Muslim or immigrant

But when Terrorism or Muslim or immigrant cant be used or shown involvement in the incident .. and all they have is white guy with a gun they default to its a Mental heath issue ....
Old 11-06-2017, 10:31 AM   #21
Jim in CT

Quote:
depends on where you live probably and I don't know that it's that different though the tv constantly tells us how dangerous it is out there...danger around every corner probably
We have more knowledge of what goes on now, for sure. But I don't buy that mass shootings took place in the 1950s, but we didn't know because it was only local news. Elementary schools didn't have lockdowns and lessons to kids about not letting strangers touch them. I guess I can't prove it, but I think things are worse. I think things are worse at the bottom. I think the most dangerous ten percent, are worse than they used to be. The breakdown of the nuclear family, not going to church, the internet, it all leads to this.
Old 11-06-2017, 10:43 AM   #22
scottw

Quote:
Originally Posted by wdmso View Post

guy kills 8 with a truck Trump calls him Trump referred to terrorism suspect Sayfullo Saipov as an "animal," and called for "swift justice" instead of regular due process.

and Blames visa program and blames political correctness for not addressing the issue

it is amazing to see to verbal gymnastics and how Consertives see the world and solution's so clearly . if its a Muslim or immigrant

But when Terrorism or Muslim or immigrant cant be used or shown involvement in the incident .. and all they have is white guy with a gun they default to its a Mental heath issue ....
amazing to see how some will try to turn anything and everything into an incident of racism
Old 11-06-2017, 10:50 AM   #23
wdmso

this is how the base see's it on breitbart

The motive will be attributed to mental illness - not as being directed toward Christians. The liberal mainstream media does not like Christianity. This tragedy will be used by the media and the left to further the case for more gun control legislation.

Just another CIA Deep State orchestrated massacre. Reason behind all this escalation in violence leaked http://www.freepressmatters...
(They're trying to make Trump out to be incompetent so he'll step down)
Old 11-06-2017, 10:53 AM   #24
Sea Dangles

Quote:

If you don't consider a man who beats his wife and child deranged then how would you describe him? I would condemn him for that action alone. If he can legally obtain a weapon with his track record then the problem is a lack of sensible laws,no doubt the NRA,along with the conservative base are culpable for these generous liberties.

PRO CHOICE REPUBLICAN
Old 11-06-2017, 10:54 AM   #25
BigBo

Quote:
Originally Posted by spence View Post
Did you ever think maybe the MSM isn't reporting it because it's likely made up?
Why no I didn't spence. That thought just never crossed my mind. I'm such a moron.

The future ain't what it used to be. --Yogi Berra
Old 11-06-2017, 10:54 AM   #26
wdmso

Quote:
amazing to see how some will try to turn anything and everything into an incident of racism

its a statement of fact solution are provided with great speed and resolve when Terrorism or Muslim or immigrant are present ...

if that equals Racism then thats what it equals
Old 11-06-2017, 10:59 AM   #27
wdmso

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sea Dangles View Post
If you don't consider a man who beats his wife and child deranged then how would you describe him? I would condemn him for that action alone. If he can legally obtain a weapon with his track record then the problem is a lack of sensible laws,no doubt the NRA,along with the conservative base are culpable for these generous liberties.

The NRA has fought for people like him to own a gun the dont want MH issues a 209A to infringe their 2a rights are they culpable .. to a degree but they dont pass laws .. Gun owners need to be part of the solution or change will happen with out them .. but they wont.. they have all ready found a silver lining 1 guy shot back and saved the day ... sadly 26 people were all ready killed but the'll run with it anyway saying it could have been worse.. Really !!

to me they are both animals and cowards..I dont need to know the why they killed it doesn't change the result

Trump he clearly see's a difference

Last edited by wdmso; 11-06-2017 at 11:10 AM..
Old 11-06-2017, 11:00 AM   #28
Jim in CT

Quote:
The liberal mainstream media does not like Christianity.
You don't think that's true?

When Obama claimed that we "cling" to our religion because we are bitter, and because we are racist, how many media outlets, besides foxnews, called him out?

When was the last time you heard someone in the mainstream media, concede that pro-life folks are pro-life because of empathy for the baby? Because I never hear that. What I hear, is that we are pro-life because we are anti-woman. That's all I hear.
Old 11-06-2017, 11:03 AM   #29
Jim in CT

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sea Dangles View Post
I read that he was denied an application for guns in Texas. Which is interesting, I presume that's not a place known for being tough to get a gun. I'm curious where he got his sexy "assault rifle".
Old 11-06-2017, 11:05 AM   #30
Jim in CT

Quote:
to me they are both animals and cowards..I dont need to know the why they killed it doesn't change the result

It changes the appropriate response for Gods sake. If Vladimir Putin paid the guy to do this, that's one thing. If he did it for Allah, that's another thing. And if he's a home-grown garden variety nut, that's yet another thing. You don't see that?