Striper Talk Striped Bass Fishing, Surfcasting, Boating

Left Nav S-B Home Register FAQ Members List S-B on Facebook Arcade WEAX Tides Buoys Calendar Today's Posts Right Nav

Left Container Right Container

Go Back   Striper Talk Striped Bass Fishing, Surfcasting, Boating » Striper Chat - Discuss stuff other than fishing ~ The Scuppers and Political talk » Political Threads

Political Threads This section is for Political Threads - Enter at your own risk. If you say you don't want to see what someone posts - don't read it :hihi:

Old 11-06-2012, 06:13 PM   #61
RIJIMMY
sick of bluefish

do you think we'll know who won tonight or will this linger a few days?

making s-b.com a kinder, gentler place for all
Old 11-06-2012, 06:40 PM   #62
afterhours
Afterhours Custom Plugs

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1dozenraw View Post
Hey I was there around 11 too!!!
cool guys vote at 11:00....

www.afterhoursplugs.com

http://www.facebook.com/pages/Afterh...428173?created

Instagram - afterhourscustom

Official S-B.com Sponsor

GAMEFISH NOW

"A GAMEFISH (WHICH STRIPED BASS SHOULD BE) IS TOO VALUABLE TO BE CAUGHT ONLY ONCE"...LEE WULFF
Old 11-06-2012, 06:43 PM   #63
1dozenraw

Quote:
Originally Posted by RIJIMMY View Post
May depend onn whether the lawyers get involved.
Old 11-06-2012, 07:29 PM   #64
1dozenraw

Four years ago tomorrow story.

I was fishing/practice conventional casting at the end of the road by the boat launch at Quonnie. Two newer, large pickups pulled up and 3 men around my age (60s) got out. I noted some stickers on the trucks relating to the military and NRA and The Flag of These United States displayed prominently. As the three approached they were loudly expressing their displeasure with the outcome of the election. I listened but decided not to participate. But after a minute or two I heard one or two of these folks express a desire that "the g.d. fool" (might have been an SOB in there as well) screw everything up and an "I hope he really makes a mess of things".

At this point I decide to ask a couple of questions. I said, "You all are patriots... correct?" They acknowledged that they were to a man, definitely patriots.

I then asked, "Well then could you explain how patriots like yourselves would justify hoping that the democratically elected President of These United States would screw everything up and make a real mess of things?"

We fished on in absolute silence. I was grateful that I had asked these questions.. and grateful the I wasn't one of the guys who were asked.

No matter who wins tonight, I will pray for his success. Lord knows we need it and Lord knows we need to pull together at every opportunity.
Old 11-06-2012, 08:36 PM   #65
Slipknot
Super Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim in CT View Post
Frank's seat doesn't exactly exist. They re-districted, which made that area less liberal, so Frank resigned arther than get humiliated by losing. Bielat is running again against one of the Kennedy royalty.

So in this election, Massachusetts could send a Kennedy and Princess Spreading Bull to DC. Awesome.
ya, for some reason I didn't get to vote for that seat

I guess they redistricted me so now I don't even know who my rep is

Danny and I voted around 11 too

in and out in no time
Old 11-06-2012, 08:45 PM   #66
spence

Quote:
Depends on the margin. If it's close I'd expect there to be some serious attorney whackery on either side.

-spence
Old 11-06-2012, 09:01 PM   #67
Jenn

I know I am a little late but I hoped everyone voted because they COULD. Imagine living in a country where this was not an option, not a priveledge or a right.

With that being said sometimes your choices are between a turd sandwich or a giant douche (thank South Park for that one) and you may not be able to vote for one you LIKE......thats when you should change your thinking. If nothing else vote against the one that irritates you more.

Simplify.......
Old 11-06-2012, 09:24 PM   #68
WESTPORTMAFIA

Quote:
Originally Posted by spence View Post
Depends on the margin. If it's close I'd expect there to be some serious attorney whackery on either side.

-spence
An African witch doctor predicted Obama would win. Heard it on hjy so it's true. Btw besides a good time by the fire you missed some Schoolies and that's about it. Safe travels to you. Give me a shout after the storm.
Posted from my iPhone/Mobile device
Old 11-06-2012, 09:26 PM   #69
spence

Quote:
Originally Posted by WESTPORTMAFIA View Post
An African witch doctor predicted Obama would win. Heard it on hjy so it's true. Btw besides a good time by the fire you missed some Schoolies and that's about it. Safe travels to you. Give me a shout after the storm.
You didn't tell me you fished by a fire

-spence
Old 11-06-2012, 09:29 PM   #70
WESTPORTMAFIA

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jenn View Post
I know I am a little late but I hoped everyone voted because they COULD. Imagine living in a country where this was not an option, not a priveledge or a right.

With that being said sometimes your choices are between a turd sandwich or a giant douche (thank South Park for that one) and you may not be able to vote for one you LIKE......thats when you should change your thinking. If nothing else vote against the one that irritates you more.
We live in a country where it IS an OPTION to vote.
Old 11-07-2012, 06:05 AM   #71
The Dad Fisherman
Super Moderator

Took my son down to vote around 6 last night. The kid was truly excited. Went home and sat in front of his laptop watching the returns coming in.

"If you're arguing with an idiot, make sure he isn't doing the same thing."
Old 11-07-2012, 06:11 AM   #72
Slipknot
Super Moderator

So, Who won?

I saw last night that Scott Brown lost, but who won the Presidency?
I figured I'd be able to find out here this AM before watching news or listening to radio
Old 11-07-2012, 06:16 AM   #73
johnny ducketts
><(((°> ><((( °> ><(((°>

4 more years
Old 11-07-2012, 06:39 AM   #74
massgc

Can I get medical marijuana for the headache I have from this election.

I don't think the killing myself choice is decided yet so I'll have to wait on that.
Old 11-07-2012, 06:40 AM   #75
likwid
lobster = striper bait

Send a message via AIM to likwid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim in CT View Post
Frank's seat doesn't exactly exist. They re-districted, which made that area less liberal, so Frank resigned arther than get humiliated by losing. Bielat is running again against one of the Kennedy royalty.

So in this election, Massachusetts could send a Kennedy and Princess Spreading Bull to DC. Awesome.
Well I guess the polls slammed this post into oblivion.

Jim, Frank retired, he didn't resign 'so he didn't get humiliated'.
Stop making s**t up for 5min!

Ski Quicks Hole
Old 11-07-2012, 08:06 AM   #76
MAKAI
Too old to give a....

And now the end is near.
And so we face the final curtain.

Storms a coming.........
Old 11-07-2012, 08:10 AM   #77
likwid
lobster = striper bait

Quote:
Originally Posted by MAKAI View Post
And now the end is near.
And so we face the final curtain.

Storms a coming.........
Yep, nor'easter is here, why are you talking about weather in a political post?

Ski Quicks Hole
Old 11-07-2012, 08:13 AM   #78
buckman

I have a headache
Someone pass me a bone
Old 11-07-2012, 08:16 AM   #79
Nebe

Quote:
Originally Posted by buckman View Post
I have a headache
Someone pass me a bone
Go to Colorado or Washington and you will be able to buy yourself a bone.
Old 11-07-2012, 08:19 AM   #80
spence

Quote:
Originally Posted by buckman View Post
I have a headache
Someone pass me a bone
Your Kenyan ID card should arrive in the mail in 2-3 weeks.

-spence
Old 11-07-2012, 08:28 AM   #81
RIJIMMY
sick of bluefish

Quote:
Four years ago tomorrow story.

I was fishing/practice conventional casting at the end of the road by the boat launch at Quonnie. Two newer, large pickups pulled up and 3 men around my age (60s) got out. I noted some stickers on the trucks relating to the military and NRA and The Flag of These United States displayed prominently. As the three approached they were loudly expressing their displeasure with the outcome of the election. I listened but decided not to participate. But after a minute or two I heard one or two of these folks express a desire that "the g.d. fool" (might have been an SOB in there as well) screw everything up and an "I hope he really makes a mess of things".

At this point I decide to ask a couple of questions. I said, "You all are patriots... correct?" They acknowledged that they were to a man, definitely patriots.

I then asked, "Well then could you explain how patriots like yourselves would justify hoping that the democratically elected President of These United States would screw everything up and make a real mess of things?"

We fished on in absolute silence. I was grateful that I had asked these questions.. and grateful the I wasn't one of the guys who were asked.

No matter who wins tonight, I will pray for his success. Lord knows we need it and Lord knows we need to pull together at every opportunity.
maybe we should take this to the political forum, but I wholeheartedly disagree. The president failing does not mean the country fails. To many of us, quite the contrary. I do not think that people who have over 1M in assets when they die, the government has the right to seize (aka TAX) 55% of their assets. I hope the presidents fails in passing the estate tax. I hoped he failed in his health care reform, fails in his tax increases, fails in passing many of the laws the democrats are proposing. I think I am patriotic becasuse I know and care enough that he does fail. Obama gets it. He even said it in his speach last night. This is democracy, arguments and differences of opinion are good. I believe the presidents policies are bad, I want him to fail in passing them. Nothing to be ashamed about that. I would look him in the eye and tell him myself.

Old 11-07-2012, 08:51 AM   #82
The Dad Fisherman
Super Moderator

There's a difference between wanting the president to fail in enacting change that you feel is detrimental to the country....and hoping the president screws up the country so he won't get re-elected.

and, yeah.......this is going off to the Pit of Despair

"If you're arguing with an idiot, make sure he isn't doing the same thing."
Old 11-07-2012, 08:53 AM   #83
1dozenraw

Quote:
maybe we should take this to the political forum, but I wholeheartedly disagree. The president failing does not mean the country fails. To many of us, quite the contrary. I do not think that people who have over 1M in assets when they die, the government has the right to seize (aka TAX) 55% of their assets. I hope the presidents fails in passing the estate tax. I hoped he failed in his health care reform, fails in his tax increases, fails in passing many of the laws the democrats are proposing. I think I am patriotic becasuse I know and care enough that he does fail. Obama gets it. He even said it in his speach last night. This is democracy, arguments and differences of opinion are good. I believe the presidents policies are bad, I want him to fail in passing them. Nothing to be ashamed about that. I would look him in the eye and tell him myself.
They didn't say they wanted him to fail... they expressed a desire to see him screw everything up. I just thought it odd at best that anyone who says they are American and believe in our system would want to see any President screw everything up no matter what they think about his getting elected. I liked what Romney said last night... pray for him. Seemed like a better idea and more appropriate for our form of government. Of course that's just me.
Old 11-07-2012, 08:55 AM   #84
likwid
lobster = striper bait

Quote:
They didn't say they wanted him to fail... they expressed a desire to see him screw everything up. I just thought it odd at best that anyone who says they are American and believe in our system would want to see any President screw everything up no matter what they think about his getting elected. I liked what Romney said last night... pray for him. Seemed like a better idea and more appropriate for our form of government. Of course that's just me.
Those are the same folks that accuse people of being un-American because of how they vote.

Ski Quicks Hole
Old 11-07-2012, 09:00 AM   #85
RIJIMMY
sick of bluefish

Quote:
I guess you can interpret it a few ways. I want to be sure people understand that these elections matter and there are deeply constrasting views on the future of this country. I do not want the future Obama wants. I want a competitive society that favors the risk takers and the dreamers, the workers.

Old 11-07-2012, 09:00 AM   #86
1dozenraw

Quote:
Originally Posted by likwid View Post
Those are the same folks that accuse people of being un-American because of how they vote.
Got that... and now that this is in the Political Forum... I'm out of here. Said all I have to say anyway. He's been elected, so he's The President of the United States and that means he's my President. That's how it works. Have fun.
Old 11-07-2012, 07:14 PM   #87
stripermaineiac

Well now that he's in lets see what type of excuses those that sand bagged things the last 3 yrs will come up now to blame him for our governments failure to do it's job for America an notjust for the corporet crooks sendingsending all our jobs overseas so as to pad their pockets at the american work forses expence.
He's in so lets start hammering the congress types to get off their butts an do their jobs.