Striper Talk Striped Bass Fishing, Surfcasting, Boating

Left Nav S-B Home Register FAQ Members List S-B on Facebook Arcade WEAX Tides Buoys Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Right Nav

Left Container Right Container

Go Back   Striper Talk Striped Bass Fishing, Surfcasting, Boating » Striper Chat - Discuss stuff other than fishing ~ The Scuppers and Political talk » The Scuppers

The Scuppers This is a new forum for the not necessarily fishing related topics...

Thread Tools Rating: Thread Rating: 3 votes, 5.00 average. Display Modes
Old 07-30-2014, 02:50 PM   #331
WESTPORTMAFIA

Quote:
Originally Posted by ThrowingTimber View Post
3 years tobacco free July 28th.

Smoked from age 15-33
Good for you Vic!!! I haven't had a butt in a week.
Posted from my iPhone/Mobile device
WESTPORTMAFIA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2014, 08:03 PM   #332
JohnR
Certifiable Intertidal Anguiologist

Great! I snuck one on Cutty and one last week.

~Fix the Bait~ ~Pogies Forever~

Striped Bass Fishing - All Stripers

Kobayashi Maru Election - there is no way to win.

Apocalypse is Coming:
JohnR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2014, 08:21 PM   #333
Jackbass
Land OF Forgotten Toys

I'm down to 100 a day or so. Seriously just started Chantix.
Jackbass is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2014, 08:50 PM   #334
thefishingfreak
"Fishbucket"

5-1/2 years off the butts.
The boat is cheaper
thefishingfreak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2014, 11:02 PM   #335
Sea Dangles

Nice to see a real quitter
Sea Dangles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2014, 10:02 PM   #336
Zeal
Always a Rookie

I personally don't smoke, but I've treated a lot of smokers, alcoholics, and drug addicts. You guys got your end handled which is great but believe it or not, Acupuncture can really help you guys quit too.

Unless you request full body (always the best option) treatment, there is an old protocol that is done in the ears (5 needles in each ear). Typically for smoking there is 1 point in the wrist that actually makes you unable to deal with a cig in your mouth as it will taste nasty (not permanent unfortunately but it lasts for a bit) and will also help stop cravings. There are clinics all over the place that do this detox protocol and helps preserve your health at the same time.

If I didn't see the success in it, I wouldn't make this suggestion.

To prove how effective and well received this route is, the man who created this protocol was a Doctor in the 70s working in a Methadone clinic who was trying to find something to substitute using Methadone for stopping Heroin addiction. Like any new approach, there were some miracle cases while others it proved to be helpful in keeping addicts from relapsing, out of rehab, and getting rid of cravings as well as calming the anxiety surrounding kicking the addiction. Not much later did practitioners all over use this protocol and applied it to many drug addictions (Smoking and Drinking being the 2 others).

The treatment is cheap, will not interfere in using a patch or something like that to help control cravings if you still need it, and you can get it done as frequently as you want. Some places put you on a time limit for a session, others let you stay until you feel like you are good to go.

You can search it in Google or whatever engine you use, it is called the NADA protocol. Depending on the area, a local hospital may even run community style settings where it is you and a group of people getting it done at the same time (it's pretty cool).

If it hasn't been mentioned, trim those cigarettes back so even if you have a moment of weakness, you get enough out of the cigarette to keep you from going on a bender and at the same time you are weaning yourself off.

Any other questions feel free to PM me guys, congrats on your victories each day

"Your first word was "Fishing", not "Mom", not "Dad", "FISHING." - Mom

Black, White, Chartreuse/Parrot = the Holy Trinity
Zeal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2014, 09:40 AM   #337
thefishingfreak
"Fishbucket"

6 year BUMP!

Old 01-08-2015, 04:43 PM   #338
vineyardblues

Congrats Mike, great job
I will 5 years in march,
How about Tattoo Bob ? Hope your on the other side
vineyardblues is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2015, 06:56 PM   #339
Notfishinenuf

Had my last one Monday morning @ 8 AM!! Have not had one since. That morning cup of coffee without the smoke is a killer. My weakest time but have resisted so far.

Vic
Notfishinenuf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2015, 02:32 PM   #340
thefishingfreak
"Fishbucket"

Quote:
Originally Posted by Notfishinenuf View Post
Had my last one Monday morning @ 8 AM!! Have not had one since. That morning cup of coffee without the smoke is a killer. My weakest time but have resisted so far.

Vic
Keep it up, that's a big deal!

Old 01-09-2015, 03:39 PM   #341
PRBuzz
BuzzLuck

Send a message via Skype™ to PRBuzz
Quote:
Originally Posted by thefishingfreak View Post
Keep it up, that's a big deal!
Yes it is! Favorite smoke spots, everyone has them...just think how much $$$ you are saving. With time, maybe 3 months you will have WON and start feeling better, even food tastes better.

Quit: 1992 after 25yrs

Given the diversity of the human species, there is no “normal” human genome sequence. We are all mutants.
PRBuzz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2015, 03:44 PM   #342
thefishingfreak
"Fishbucket"

Phil's retired and the biggest fishbum around home drinking designer beer from his hottub right now.
That's incentive!

Old 01-09-2015, 03:47 PM   #343
Guppy
User

Quote:
Originally Posted by Notfishinenuf View Post

Vic
That's a heck of a good start Vic, congrats,,, watch out for the weekend! Them beers are the devel and can sneak up on ya
Guppy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2015, 05:40 PM   #344
Notfishinenuf

Thanks for the encouragement!! Still Going strong and the financial incentive is BiG, $8.90 a day!! Just thinking short term that's $89 dollars every 10 days!! Something you don't really think about when you just want a smoke.

Vic
Old 01-09-2015, 08:17 PM   #345
JohnR

Haven't bought any since the summer? Haven't bummed one in months.

Apocalypse is Coming:
Old 01-10-2015, 09:01 AM   #346
PRBuzz
BuzzLuck

Quote:
Originally Posted by thefishingfreak View Post
Phil's retired and the biggest fishbum around home drinking designer beer from his hottub right now.
That's incentive!
Hahaha,... yup Mike is right and ALL because I saved my pennies from the time I quit smoking! BTW: last pack of cigs I bought cost under $2 !

Given the diversity of the human species, there is no “normal” human genome sequence. We are all mutants.
Old 01-10-2015, 09:50 AM   #347
Raider Ronnie

Send a message via AIM to Raider Ronnie
Anyone else work with someone who is a chain smoker and smoking is not allowed inside building ?
Raider Ronnie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2015, 10:12 AM   #348
BigBo

Quote:
Originally Posted by Raider Ronnie View Post
Anyone else work with someone who is a chain smoker and smoking is not allowed inside building ?
Yes. They are outside constantly while I cover for them. No more!

The future ain't what it used to be. --Yogi Berra
BigBo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2015, 10:25 AM   #349
Raider Ronnie

Send a message via AIM to Raider Ronnie
Quote:
Originally Posted by BigBo View Post
Yes. They are outside constantly while I cover for them. No more!

We got a few.
Swear they should just put a gun in their mouth and arrive to the end result that much quicker.
I've had a front row seat to a few close relatives who died from lung cancer as a result of smoking, not a pretty sight !
Between lung cancer, close to $10 per pack and the disgusting stench of a smoker, I don't get why anyone would smoke !
Certainly don't know why any employer would hire a smoker knowing thew will be outside more than doing their job.
Raider Ronnie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2015, 06:28 AM   #350
PRBuzz
BuzzLuck

Get RICH by quiting:

http://www.cbsnews.com/news/what-are...ts-of-smoking/

Old 09-21-2015, 07:26 AM   #351
bart
Red Eye Jedi

I'm on day 2. Desperate to quit... I can't believe how much I smoke now. I'm honestly scared for my health and I'm only 32. Any words of encouragement, ball busting, tough love, whatever would be appreciated. Thanks.

Rob
bart is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2015, 07:52 AM   #352
ThrowingTimber
It's about respect baby!

Exclamation

Its not going to be easy Bart but hang in there, find something to take the edge off go for a walk, go for a run, rig some eels pretty much anything to keep your mind occupied.

Wash, wax and detail your own vehicle, that's a big one because if you're a smoker as soon as that seat belt goes on you're reaching for a cig. You'll be less prone to fire one up in your vehicle if it does'nt smell like an ashtray and you think to yourself: Crap I worked on this 3-4 hours no sense in turning it into an ashtray in 7 minutes.

4 yrs zero nicotine July 28th 2015, when I quit they were $7.68 a pack.

Domination takes full concentration..
ThrowingTimber is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2015, 08:07 AM   #353
bart
Red Eye Jedi

That's great advice about cleaning my car. It's pretty much using reverse psychology...I like that.

Congrats and thanks, Vic
Old 09-21-2015, 08:40 AM   #354
Mugz

Bart,

Today is Day 20 for me. Was a smoker for 20+ years....quitting is easy, I've done it a thousand times. I would quit for a week (with no cheating) knowing in the back of my mind that I would go back to smoking....to only relapse and feel like an idiot for torturing myself for a week!! Then the depression would kick in, kicking myself in the arse for relapsing after doing so good for a weeks time.
I had a health scare and I'm 44....I will never smoke another butt again. The 2 weeks waiting for test results were brutal....I was literally planning my funeral and feeling selfish and stupid for putting my family through the "unknown news" as well. The results came back negative....all is good. But, I got the swift kick in the arse I needed I guess. Quit before you have to go through it...
I wouldn't have been surprised in the least if something WAS seriously wrong with me though....and that doesn't mean there still can't be something that happens down the road....damage is done.
I found that the nicotine gum at CVS helped...AND TIME. I also found it was more mental this time for me....different than any other time I tried to quit. As they say..."You have to WANT to quit."
Good Luck....it does get easier and easier. By the way, my truck is ash and smoke smell free....and to tell you the truth I pat myself on the back OFTEN....it's a good feeling.
Mugz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2015, 10:29 AM   #355
Fly Rod

Quote:
Originally Posted by PRBuzz View Post
Yup people can get rich by not smoking......X smokers did not need that money when smoking to pay bills....putting that money away till it builds enough to start seeing a financial adviser and start investing....does not take much to start investing...

Congratulations to those that have continued not to smoke....keep up the good work.......

"When its not about money,it's all about money."...
Fly Rod is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2015, 11:29 AM   #356
thefishingfreak
"Fishbucket"

keep at it.
I haven't smoked since this thread started in January 2009.

Smoking isn't going to kill me....Can you say the same?

Old 09-21-2015, 11:36 AM   #357
bart
Red Eye Jedi

Mugz, thank you for the thoughtful response. I'm glad it was just a scare and nothing more. I'm worried I'll have the same scare in a few years...if I'm lucky.

Fly Rod - I like money so thank you for re-posting that! When I start to think about how much I'd save a week (~$85) it's quite alarming although encouraging. Definitely good incentive right there.

FF - I cannot. Thank you for your post and congrats on continuing a major feat.
Old 09-21-2015, 12:15 PM   #358
JohnR

I quit though I did buy one pack this year, one evening, and have bummed a couple more. I have had one in 7 months. And over hte past few years have been 90% quit.

It is hard, harder for some than others.

Tell the bride you want some nookie every night you are not smoking. Request didn't work for me but I tried

Apocalypse is Coming:
Old 09-21-2015, 05:03 PM   #359
bart
Red Eye Jedi

Good stuff, John. You should be proud. Good advice, too
Old 09-21-2015, 05:06 PM   #360
Notfishinenuf

Bart, Stick with it, it ain't easy. I am still tobacco free but not nicotine free. I started vaping the following week after I stopped. My son turned me on to it. he has been successful with it as well.
I started out with the tobacco flavored juice in the highest nicotine level. I was a 2 pack a day smoker. The highest level is 24 Mg of nicotine. After a week I tried some different flavors and now I can't stand the tobacco flavor. I am now down to 3 Mg of nicotine in my juice and it is working for me.
The next level is 0 nicotine and that should be sometime next month keeping with the rate I have been dropping.
So I have replaced one addiction with another, (not really its the nicotine so same addiction). I feel much better as there is no smoke involved. It's a vapor. No more coughing up a lung in the morning, no shortness of breath and i can't stand the smell of cigarettes. Its also a lot cheaper.
It's an option to look into if you find yourself having a hard time with quitting. If you choose to go that route I can offer plenty of advice on what to buy and what not to buy as far as equipment. As far as flavors there are a million different ones.
If i can be of help don't hesitate to ask. I don't post a lot but read a lot and check in regularly here.
I am not going to say good luck as there is none involved.

Stay strong,

Vic