Striper Talk Striped Bass Fishing, Surfcasting, Boating

Left Nav S-B Home Register FAQ Members List S-B on Facebook Arcade WEAX Tides Buoys Calendar Today's Posts Right Nav

Left Container Right Container

Go Back   Striper Talk Striped Bass Fishing, Surfcasting, Boating » Striper Chat - Discuss stuff other than fishing ~ The Scuppers and Political talk » The Scuppers

The Scuppers This is a new forum for the not necessarily fishing related topics...

Old 05-29-2002, 12:56 PM   #1
fishsmith
DDG-51

Exterior paint Oil based vs Latex

All I know about paint is that I hate painting!!, That aside anyone out there have an opion on Latex vs Oil based exterior paints.
I've already got 6 gallons of the Behr flat super hiding latex, but they're unopened so I can still return them.

How much longer will oil last?

Thanks in advance.
fishsmith is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2002, 07:30 PM   #2
Bazza

As an experienced painter I would do the following: Latex should be fine and is much easier to use

1) make sure you do a good prep job. i,e, scrape,sand,caulk,and prime

2) Return the Behr to H.D.,Buy Benjamine Moore exterior latex for about $25 a gallon. You pay a bit more for it, but is a much better product.

3) Buy good quality brushes, Purdeys are the best, clean your brushes throroughly after each use, they should last you for several years.

4) Repeat the process in 5-6 years

Good luck
Bazza is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2002, 11:36 PM   #3
beachin3

latex much better

As a painter, with over 15 years exp. I have done much research on this topic .You should use whats already on your house if oil use oil. if latex use latex, see the problem is that latex if painted over oil moves around on the surface breathing- and bonds really well to most oil paints. Oil stays put on the house and never really hardens all the way-for a long time. When you put latex over oil, it will lift the oil of like a sheet of paper in some cases.and it will look like dollar bills floting off your house, so stick to whats already on your home. Bare spots you can prime with oil cause it will have penitration ,but in todays market with paints ,if its a new project, stick with latex. The manufactures took out all the good stuff out of oil a few years ago. Never paint oil over latex .a good latex -- ben moore, or sherwin whilliams ,devo ,will far out last todays oil.
beachin3 is offline   Reply With Quote