Striper Talk Striped Bass Fishing, Surfcasting, Boating

Left Nav S-B Home Register FAQ Members List S-B on Facebook Arcade WEAX Tides Buoys Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Right Nav

Left Container Right Container

Go Back   Striper Talk Striped Bass Fishing, Surfcasting, Boating » Striper Chat - Discuss stuff other than fishing ~ The Scuppers and Political talk » Political Threads

Political Threads This section is for Political Threads - Enter at your own risk. If you say you don't want to see what someone posts - don't read it :hihi:

Old 01-14-2011, 07:57 AM   #1
scottw

SMILEY

flipping through the channels yesterday I had the occasion to catch a few minutes of Tavis Smiley with an assembled panel of "experts"...including Ariana Huffington, Cornel West, the woman (Maria, I think) from CNBC, a woman who represented a hisapnic organization, an Asian gentleman who was a CEO I think, I think there was a woman of middle eastern descent, and well, you get the picture, the only thing missing was a native american with a big head dress(which offended me a little as one of native american descent)....

Smiley...if the jobs picture improves Obama will win in 2012 in a cakewalk and if the jobs picture doesn't improve, 2012 will be the "most RACIST election in American history"(exact words), and repeatedly asked the experts to explain to him how 2012 will NOT be the most racist election in American history...if the job picture improves, Obama will win but it will still be the most racist election in American history...

hispanic woman...the way to create jobs in America is to pass comprehensive immigration reform

Cornel West......the way to create jobs in America is to turn America upside down and give everything to the poor and "then imagine the kind of place America would become" he said with wild eyes and a creepy grin.... (this guy is great, love to have him for a semester)

Ariana...Obama has been completely absent on the issue of jobs, he has so many things at his disposal that he hasn't used like, well...she was about to explain when Cornel West interrupted and went on a lengthy rant....

Asian gentleman......concerned about protectionism...pointed out that in a bill signed the day before the government will only be buying solar panels domestically...brilliant!!! the new green energy solar panel manufacturers that I've chronicled the demise of really needs a boost, what better way to save a company created with tax payer dollars than to buy all of their products with tax payer dollars...screw the free market!!!!

you get the picture....the woman from CNBC actually had probably the best explanation for the stagnated job market and the trepidation of business owners, a "depression" level housing market and...what everyone seems to ignore....soaring prices of fuel, food and other comodities...here and abroad....companies aren't going to hire in an uncertain climate or because Obama assembles them in a meeting and tells them to....

Tavis could barely get through a sentence without bringing up race or racism, seemed odd to me that he went through great lengths to assemble this panel, I guess to reflect society and show inclusion and diverse opinion but could not resist every opportunity to go on a race rant all the while constantly bringing up the new "CIVILITY" in Washington and around the country.....

Last edited by scottw; 01-14-2011 at 08:44 AM..
Old 01-14-2011, 08:52 AM   #2
likwid
lobster = striper bait

Send a message via AIM to likwid
THE TALKING BOX TOLD ME IT WOULD BE A RACIST ELECTION THEREFORE IT IS.

You sound like Mr Jared.

Ski Quicks Hole
Old 01-14-2011, 08:53 AM   #3
JohnR
Certifiable Intertidal Anguiologist

Youtube? Need to see before I state something without all the facts, wouldn't want to act stupidly.

~Fix the Bait~ ~Pogies Forever~

Striped Bass Fishing - All Stripers

Kobayashi Maru Election - there is no way to win.

Apocalypse is Coming:
Old 01-14-2011, 09:21 AM   #4
scottw

Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnR View Post
Youtube? Need to see before I state something without all the facts, wouldn't want to act stupidly.
it was on C-Span..."America's Next Chapter"...interesting if you can catch it...here's what Tavis had to say...

NewsOne: Tell me about America’s Next Chapter and what you hope to accomplish from it?

Tavis Smiley: Over the last dozen years, I’ve done a number of these bringing together influencers both inside and outside of Washington. This will be a three hour conversation two weeks before the State of the Union, the halfway point of President Obama’s first term, and the entrance of a new Congress. We also can’t forget that the current black RNC Chairman Michael Steele may be out of a job by this weekend.

I think the timing is great for us to have this discussion. According to a recent Rasmussen poll, nearly half of all Americans think our best days are behind us.

NewsOne: Do you think that poll may have skewed towards Whites more because they seem to be the ones concerned about the future of country more than Blacks?

Tavis Smiley: I’ve done some polling on my own and Blacks are definitely more hopeful than Whites. But throughout history, despite what’s happened to us, we are a hopeful people and haven’t done anything without that hope.

When you throw in that we have a Black President, you have to expect us to be more understanding of the current situation and more optimistic with the country in his hands. But, at the same time, we cannot dispute that we are catching the most hell. Unemployment is at sixteen percent. How much faith can you have when you are catching the most hell?

NewsOne: Do you think there has been enough focus on the people catching the most “hell?”

Tavis Smiley: Not at all. There has to be more of a focus on getting all people back to work; but speaking from a Black perspective, having unemployment this high is startling.

NewsOne: But don’t you agree that as President he can’t focus on one specific group’s plight especially when that plight is one that the whole country is going through?

Tavis Smiley: Our President may be accused of being tribal, but to the victors go the spoils. Over 90 percent of Blacks voted for him. We are his most loyal base and the White House and Congress have turned their backs to our community in our most pressing time. There has to be a way to sync those two things; those who vote for you deserve to be rewarded.

I'm curious what he means by the statement in bold?

btw...I love his name Tavis Smiley with a name like that you'd think he wouldn't be so angry...

Last edited by scottw; 01-14-2011 at 10:04 AM..
Old 01-14-2011, 10:06 AM   #5
likwid
lobster = striper bait

Quote:
Originally Posted by scottw View Post
Smiley...if the jobs picture improves Obama will win in 2012 in a cakewalk and if the jobs picture doesn't improve, 2012 will be the "most RACIST election in American history"(exact words), and repeatedly asked the experts to explain to him how 2012 will NOT be the most racist election in American history...if the job picture improves, Obama will win but it will still be the most racist election in American history...
Tavis Smiley was a Obama critic/skeptic.
He got butthurt and quit a show he was on back in 2008 when he couldn't take people being critical of his commentary on Obama.

He'll be jumping up and down screaming "I TOLD YOU SO" if the media paints the 2012 election as "racist".

ZOMBIE VOTER NEED BRAAAINS AND CONTROVERSY BRAAAAAINS AAANNNDDDD CONTROVERSYYYYYY

Congrats on being uninformed enough to actually think anything he says is worth posting.

Ski Quicks Hole
Old 01-14-2011, 10:48 AM   #6
scottw

Quote:
Originally Posted by likwid View Post
Tavis Smiley was a Obama critic/skeptic.
He got butthurt and quit a show he was on back in 2008 when he couldn't take people being critical of his commentary on Obama.

He'll be jumping up and down screaming "I TOLD YOU SO" if the media paints the 2012 election as "racist".

ZOMBIE VOTER NEED BRAAAINS AND CONTROVERSY BRAAAAAINS AAANNNDDDD CONTROVERSYYYYYY

Congrats on being uninformed enough to actually think anything he says is worth posting.
he had a three hour special on C Span...congrats on your usual...nothing

Washungton Post
44 - Tavis Smiley's forum provokes a lively discussion about Obama's future

A forum gathered Thursday night on the campus of George Washington University by PBS talk-show host Tavis Smiley generated a lively discussion about the trajectory of President Obama's next two years in office.

Several hundred people packed GWU's Lisner Auditorium for a three-hour panel discussion that Smiley, the moderator, titled "America's Next Chapter." The eight panelists for the forum offered a politically diverse group of views, including Arianna Huffington, co-founder and editor-in-chief of the Huffington Post, to David Frum, a former speechwriter for President George W Bush.
Old 01-14-2011, 01:29 PM   #7
likwid
lobster = striper bait

Quote:
Originally Posted by scottw View Post
he had a three hour special on C Span...congrats on your usual...nothing
The four people were there just for giggles right, wait, nope, they were there to just sit there, hmmm, wait wait wait, they were there, FOR THE LAUGH TRACK!

Congrats on your usual... lying.

Quote:
Washungton Post
44 - Tavis Smiley's forum provokes a lively discussion about Obama's future

A forum gathered Thursday night on the campus of George Washington University by PBS talk-show host Tavis Smiley generated a lively discussion about the trajectory of President Obama's next two years in office.

Several hundred people packed GWU's Lisner Auditorium for a three-hour panel discussion that Smiley, the moderator, titled "America's Next Chapter." The eight panelists for the forum offered a politically diverse group of views, including Arianna Huffington, co-founder and editor-in-chief of the Huffington Post, to David Frum, a former speechwriter for President George W Bush.
Asked about the perception of a lack of civility in the country today, Huffington said, "When there is a fundamental crisis that affects people's survival, the worst comes out."

Hmm, dunno how they could think that!

I think I just saw some more pointless controversy and outrage over on Fox News, QUICK! POST IT BEFORE SOMEONE ELSE DOES!

Ski Quicks Hole
Old 01-14-2011, 02:52 PM   #8
scottw

[QUOTE=likwid;827427]

Congrats on your usual... lying.

[QUOTE]

well, I try to provide some evidence for my assertions...my concern after listening to Mr. Smiley was that despite the Obama speech, what I saw from a frustrated left and media stooping to the lowest levels immediately after this shooting will continue through the next two years leading up to the election, the most powerful club that the left has is race and accusations of racism, Mr. Smiley knows this and while his racist contentions are aimed at the republicans the actual use of race baiting and injections of race comes from the left....he's half right....I'm sickened to think of two years of a presidential campaign like this, Bill Clinton was reelected with the help of a growing economy which happened to be riding both a housing bubble and a tech bubble...there is nothing of the sort to boost the economy for Obama, he will in all likelyhood be presiding over more difficult circumstances than we have now, they will, in my opionion, become desperate, more desperate than they were over the last weekend and this will be historically ugly...this is why I wish Obama had personally pledged to start with himself and those that he had influence over, that would be a challenge that everyone else would have to follow or be pillaried..instead we got the "we all need to" which coming from an elitist and/or narcissist means..."you all need to" because they always exclude themselves from their proclamations.... that's all, lable me a liar...... we'll see