Striper Talk Striped Bass Fishing, Surfcasting, Boating

Left Nav S-B Home Register FAQ Members List S-B on Facebook Arcade WEAX Tides Buoys Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Right Nav

Left Container Right Container

Go Back   Striper Talk Striped Bass Fishing, Surfcasting, Boating » Striper Chat - Discuss stuff other than fishing ~ The Scuppers and Political talk » Political Threads

Political Threads This section is for Political Threads - Enter at your own risk. If you say you don't want to see what someone posts - don't read it :hihi:

Old 01-04-2011, 08:04 AM   #1
nightfighter
Seldom Seen

Two down, two to go....

Just saying, it is the first Tuesday in January...... Although I just realized it will be on January 20, 2013....almost halfway there.

“Americans have the right and advantage of being armed, unlike the people of other countries, whose leaders are afraid to trust them with arms.” – James Madison.
Old 01-04-2011, 09:33 AM   #2
Raven

Wink

heh heh heh
Old 01-04-2011, 09:45 AM   #3
Jim in CT

Quote:
Originally Posted by nightfighter View Post
Just saying, it is the first Tuesday in January...... Although I just realized it will be on January 20, 2013....almost halfway there.
From your lips to God's ears...

My fear is that whoever wins the GOP nomination will be unable to land any punches to Obama, because like John McCain in 2008, it's not easy to bluntly criticize a black president without getting labeled a racist. McCain sure never figured out how to do it, so he let Obama walk all over him. We need someone who won't be afraid to take the gloves off...

I would simply love to see Newt Gingrich debate Barack Obama. At the end of the night, they'd be tracing Obama in a chalk outline.
Old 01-04-2011, 12:11 PM   #4
The Dad Fisherman
Super Moderator

I don't think race had that much to do w/ Obama getting elected....I'm pretty sure that the democrats could have propped up a carrot stick and it would have won.

The Economy was in the chitter, Scandal was wreaking havoc on the financial sector......

Hope and Change was all he needed.

Funny thing is....in 2012, it may be worded differently, but the GOP will be using the Hope and Change premise to get him out.

"If you're arguing with an idiot, make sure he isn't doing the same thing."
Old 01-04-2011, 12:49 PM   #5
Jim in CT

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Dad Fisherman View Post
I don't think race had that much to do w/ Obama getting elected....I'm pretty sure that the democrats could have propped up a carrot stick and it would have won.

The Economy was in the chitter, Scandal was wreaking havoc on the financial sector......

Hope and Change was all he needed.

Funny thing is....in 2012, it may be worded differently, but the GOP will be using the Hope and Change premise to get him out.
"I don't think race had that much to do w/ Obama getting elected...."

I'll dissgree. 96% of black voters voted for Obama. And Obama played the race card God knows how many times during the campaign ("they are going to make you afraid of the fact that I don't look like them").

He never, ever, ever would have even been nominated if it wasn't for his race. How many completely inexperienced, radically liberal white folk have the Democrats nominated for President?

"The Economy was in the chitter, Scandal was wreaking havoc on the financial sector......"

That's true. Despite all the flak McCain gets for picking Palin, the fact is that after he announced Palin as his running mate, McCain lept ahead of Obama in all the polls, and stayed there until the economy went down the tubes.

If what I fear may happen to the economy actually happens, the GOP will be able to nominate a carrot stick and win. In 2008, the economy was brought down by subprime mortgages. In 2011/2012, I fear the economy will be brought down by sovereign debt. States and cities will very soon be implementing astronomical tax hikes, the only reason huge hikes weren't needed the last 2 years was because of stimulus money that's now gone. Even with huge tax hikes, many state and local govts will be really struggling to meet bond payments.
Old 01-04-2011, 01:41 PM   #6
The Dad Fisherman
Super Moderator

I'm not saying that he didn't get the Lion's share of the Black vote....What I mean is that I don't think he got it because he was black......I think he got it because of what they thought he could do for them, He had a MUCH better marketing campaign than McCain did .

Clinton also got the Lion's share of the black vote when he was elected....as well as most Democrats the past few elections.

People were just dissillusioned....Hope and Change.....A Good Slogan....Marketing 101

Old 01-04-2011, 02:07 PM   #7
justplugit
Registered Grandpa

Quote:
Originally Posted by nightfighter View Post
....almost halfway there.
And meantime our debt has increased from 13 mil to 14 mil in just
the last 7 months.

" Choose Life "
Old 01-04-2011, 04:43 PM   #8
Raven

he won't be able to use that ploy again
Old 01-04-2011, 07:23 PM   #9
Raider Ronnie

Send a message via AIM to Raider Ronnie
Quote:
I'm not saying that he didn't get the Lion's share of the Black vote....What I mean is that I don't think he got it because he was black......I think he got it because of what they thought he could do for them, He had a MUCH better marketing campaign than McCain did .

Clinton also got the Lion's share of the black vote when he was elected....as well as most Democrats the past few elections.

People were just dissillusioned....Hope and Change.....A Good Slogan....Marketing 101

You are wrong.
Millions of black people voted for the 1st time in their life only because Obama is black.

LETS GO BRANDON
Old 01-04-2011, 07:27 PM   #10
mosholu
Mosholu

Quote:

I have to agree with Dad on this. Add also McCain's selection process for VP terrified a lot of people who were on the fence.
Old 01-04-2011, 08:19 PM   #11
Piscator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Raider Ronnie View Post
You are wrong.
Millions of black people voted for the 1st time in their life only because Obama is black.
Not only did millions vote for the 1st time but fake vote are also suspected during that election.........................anyone hear of ACORN?

"I know a taxidermy man back home. He gonna have a heart attack when he see what I brung him!"
Old 01-04-2011, 11:59 PM   #12
mosholu
Mosholu

Quote:
Originally Posted by Piscator View Post
Not only did millions vote for the 1st time but fake vote are also suspected during that election.........................anyone hear of ACORN?
I am not disputing the effect of first time black voters but I question if the impact was as great as you may think because he must have lost many traditional Democratic voters as well because they would not vote for a black man.
Old 01-05-2011, 06:08 AM   #13
The Dad Fisherman
Super Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Raider Ronnie View Post
You are wrong.
Ahh, the glorious Political Forum...the only place where yout OPINION is WRONG......

Whatever....

Old 01-05-2011, 07:59 AM   #14
buckman

Don't forget the brainwashed kids in college. Obama did very well with younger people. The Dems lost them in 2010. My daughter drove home from college to vote incumbants out. I was shocked, but very proud.
Old 01-05-2011, 08:23 AM   #15
Jim in CT

Quote:
Originally Posted by mosholu View Post
I have to agree with Dad on this. Add also McCain's selection process for VP terrified a lot of people who were on the fence.
You need to re-visit your facts. Before McCain picked Palin, he was trailing Obama in the polls. After he picked Palin, the conservative base was finally energized behind him. She gave an absolutely stunning speech at the convention. After, he lept ahead of Obama in the polls and stayed there until the economy crashed.

I'm no huge Palin fan, although I agree with her on most of the issues that matter to me. But I find it interesting when folks claim that her selection hurt his ticket, when the facts clearly, conclusively say otherwise. There are a lot of people who are so deranged with hatred for her that they have lost their grip with reality.
Old 01-05-2011, 08:24 AM   #16
Jim in CT

Quote:
I am not disputing the effect of first time black voters but I question if the impact was as great as you may think because he must have lost many traditional Democratic voters as well because they would not vote for a black man.
What???? Like who?
Old 01-05-2011, 08:46 AM   #17
Jim in CT

Quote:
What???? Like who?
Old 01-20-2011, 09:26 PM   #18
nightfighter
Seldom Seen

1/20/11
So NOW we have survived the first half... Let the countdown begin.

“Americans have the right and advantage of being armed, unlike the people of other countries, whose leaders are afraid to trust them with arms.” – James Madison.
Old 01-20-2011, 09:55 PM   #19
Chesapeake Bill

Quote:
Originally Posted by justplugit View Post
And meantime our debt has increased from 13 mil to 14 mil in just
the last 7 months.
Just 14 mil? Heck... that would be easy to pay...get your facts right...I'm not arguing...just saying...credibility increases when you use the right numerical value...try trillion. It has a nicer ring to it.
Old 01-20-2011, 10:06 PM   #20
justplugit
Registered Grandpa

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chesapeake Bill View Post
Just 14 mil? Heck... that would be easy to pay...get your facts right...I'm not arguing...just saying...credibility increases when you use the right numerical value...try trillion. It has a nicer ring to it.
Yup your right. My bad. We could take up a collection if it was Mil.

" Choose Life "
Old 01-21-2011, 01:29 PM   #21
RIJIMMY
sick of bluefish

I cant think of anyone who could run against him and win.
We need Abe Lincoln

making s-b.com a kinder, gentler place for all
Old 01-21-2011, 01:52 PM   #22
Jim in CT

Quote:
Originally Posted by RIJIMMY View Post
I cant think of anyone who could run against him and win.
We need Abe Lincoln
Obama might be very formidable, but not invincible. Again, if the debt crisis implodes before the election (which I think will kick off a major recession, worse than 2008), then Obama couldn't win even if the GOP nominated #^&#^&#^&#^& Cheney in 2012.

There are some impressive conservatives out there (Pawlenty, Jindal, Romney (who I don't like), Mike Pence, Gingrich who I think would be the best choice but likely not electable, Indiana Gov Daniels.

We need someone who won't be afraid to attack him in a debate. McCain could never figure out how to do it, he was way too cordial, and he let Obama land all the blows. We need someone who won't be afraid of being called a racist on MSNBC for challenging the Messiah.

And the most important republican politician in the nation right now is the newly elected senator from Florida, Marco Rubio. The way the demographics are trending, the GOP simply cannot survive in this nation without getting more of the Hispanic vote (the black vote is a lost cause), and Rubio is their ticket into that base. He will be the VP pick in 2012, unless something major happens between now and then.

If Marco Rubio can convince Hispanics of the obvious truth that conservative ideas are a better ticket to prosperity, watch how fast the Democrats change their tune on illegal immigration. In the next nanosecond, they'll deport everyone in sight.
Old 01-21-2011, 02:17 PM   #23
RIJIMMY
sick of bluefish

We need a common sense, non-polarizing, personality. I dont think republicans are very effective at explaining things.

making s-b.com a kinder, gentler place for all
Old 01-21-2011, 02:46 PM   #24
Chesapeake Bill

As a party member I don't think they are very good at following through on the contracts they make with America...Newt is the perfect example...as is Tom Delay...They just want to fleece the country like every other piece of garbage politician. Neither party is worth a darn and the tea party isn't any better.

Before you respond please be prepared to explain Republican pork such as Ted Steven's "road to nowhere." I can name billions that they have wasted money on as well, like the "No child left a dime act"
Old 01-21-2011, 03:26 PM   #25
scottw

Quote:
As a party member I don't think they are very good at following through on the contracts they make with America...Newt is the perfect example...as is Tom Delay...They just want to fleece the country like every other piece of garbage politician. Neither party is worth a darn and the tea party isn't any better.

Before you respond please be prepared to explain Republican pork such as Ted Steven's "road to nowhere." I can name billions that they have wasted money on as well, like the "No child left a dime act"
that can stand on it's own and requires no response...good job
Old 01-21-2011, 07:15 PM   #26
Fly Rod

The next election of a president will fall on the shoulders of the Independents.
Being an Independent I will probably be voting conservertive.

Even though I like what Palin stands for she would never get my vote.
Old 01-21-2011, 07:25 PM   #27
Chesapeake Bill

Unfortunately, the next election will fall back on teh shoudlers of this country's liberals. Like it or not, the cuts that the republicans are proposing are going to push this action. When you cut federal spending to 2006 levels the resulting decay of services (access to federal parks, tax information, economic zone designations) and infrastructure (highways, transit, agriculture, nuclear storage, etc...) will drive the majority of Americans who lose some benefit (we all get them regardless of what we say) to vote for recovering at least their part of what was lost.

I personally think the economic disaster that will happen in the DC/MD/VA area if they cut spending will be enough to cause the republican momentum to crumble. Becuase of congressional earmarks, 2006 spending levels require the layoffs of roughly 10% of all federal agencies. Given that the government employes 2.7 million people you can do the math...

...and I'm a fiscal conservative. I'll bet they keep their health care and retirement systems intact.
Old 01-21-2011, 08:46 PM   #28
scottw

Quote:
I personally think the economic disaster that will happen in the DC/MD/VA area if they cut spending.
since the DC/MD/VA area is the richest area in the country...just think of it as "redistribution of wealth"

November 12, 2010 - 4:40am

WASHINGTON - The D.C. area makes plenty of Top 10 lists, and this one shows its residents make the big bucks.
According to a new report from Newsweek, seven of the nation's 10 richest counties are in this region.

The full list is below:

1. Loudoun County, Va.

2. Fairfax County, Va.

3. Howard County, Md.

4. Morris County, N.J.

5. Arlington County, Va.

6. Montgomery County, Md.

7. Nassau County, N.Y.

8. Somerset County, N.J.

9. Calvert County, Md.

10. Charles County, Md.

I'm the Lone Ranger

Last edited by scottw; 01-21-2011 at 09:00 PM..
Old 01-21-2011, 09:14 PM   #29
justplugit
Registered Grandpa

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim in CT View Post

We need someone who won't be afraid to attack him in a debate. McCain could never figure out how to do it, he was way too cordial, and he let Obama land all the blows.
Keep an eye on Chris Christie, Gov of New Joisey.
A dark horse, but could handle anyone out there right now.
Straight on,no nonsense fiscal conservative bulldog.

" Choose Life "
Old 01-21-2011, 09:31 PM   #30
Chesapeake Bill

The problem is when the feds cut jobs contracts disappear. That means the non-fed job market gets hammered even worse. Contractors here are already feeling the pressure as contracts are not being renewed or scaled back due to the continuing resolution. Many of these contracts extend far beyond the beltway. In the Virginia counties much of the wealth is due to contractor businesses. This money will shrivel up over the next few years and you will see the pinch felt across the country. It sounds easy and a quick fix but it is neither.

I'm not sure where you got your list from but it is only 5 of the top 10. Fairfax City (5) is not part of the county. Calvert County is #13 and Charles County is #21. I'm sure this was a typo or errant keystroke...

According to the Washingotn Examiner, "Fairfax Supervisor John Cook, R-Braddock, said his county continues to outrank Montgomery because Fairfax's more flexible tax laws help to attract businesses.

"We're so much better off here than other places," he said. "It's not like we're talking about draconian cuts or anything."

To Cook's point, a recent report commissioned by the Montgomery County Council found that Fairfax has outpaced Montgomery in job growth since the mid-1980s and now boasts 200,000 more jobs than its neighbor across the Potomac River.

Northern Virginia and Fairfax also house government agencies and employers that have been less affected by the economic downturn than biotech-heavy Montgomery, Robertson said.

While other traditionally wealthy regions such as New York and San Francisco have suffered heavily in the recession, the Washington area benefits from the presence of the federal government and its contractors, the overall high level of education, and the area's high proportion of two-income households."