Striper Talk Striped Bass Fishing, Surfcasting, Boating

Left Nav S-B Home Register FAQ Members List S-B on Facebook Arcade WEAX Tides Buoys Calendar Today's Posts Right Nav

Left Container Right Container

Go Back   Striper Talk Striped Bass Fishing, Surfcasting, Boating » Striper Chat - Discuss stuff other than fishing ~ The Scuppers and Political talk » Political Threads

Political Threads This section is for Political Threads - Enter at your own risk. If you say you don't want to see what someone posts - don't read it :hihi:

Old 05-27-2022, 07:51 AM   #1
Jim in CT

Quote:
Originally Posted by wdmso View Post
Only gun dealers with a Federal Firearms License are required to do a background check before selling a gun in Texas, not private sellers. Texas has NO state requirement for more comprehensive background checks when purchasing a firearm. Therefore, persons prohibited from owning firearms can easily obtain a gun - on the internet, at a gun show, even from a private seller out of the trunk of a car.
In states like Texas with no state-required background check, research has shown that 57% of private gun sales were done with no background check.
Around 80% of all firearms acquired for criminal purposes are obtained through transfers from unlicensed sellers. Including the purchase of his firearm by the Odessa/Midland mass shooter.
Texans overwhelmingly (79%) support universal background checks.

But it’s a mental health problem
Posted from my iPhone/Mobile device
have you ever once said a democrat idea was wrong or a republican idea had any merit? ever?

democrats run the federal
government . what have they done last two years to stop these things? please specify.

democrats run chicago, which has strict anti gun laws? how is that working out?

you are not persuadable by results. ideology is all that matters.

if it’s not a mental health issue, why didn’t these things happen in the 1950s with this frequency? we’re guns invented in the 1990s?

almost everything you say is destroyed by historical facts.

all those crazy things you say the gop stands for, yet people are leaving blue states for red ones, and the gop is poised to do great in november. why is that?

this week, senate republicans proposed a school safety bill. senate democrats killed it. so stop saying the gop does nothing. you’re lying.

the 2 sides have different ideas, and neither side is willing to compromise, and you are a perfect example of that ideology-driven stupidity.
Old 05-27-2022, 08:27 AM   #2
wdmso

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim in CT View Post
have you ever once said a democrat idea was wrong or a republican idea had any merit? ever?

democrats run the federal
government . what have they done last two years to stop these things? please specify.

democrats run chicago, which has strict anti gun laws? how is that working out?

you are not persuadable by results. ideology is all that matters.

if it’s not a mental health issue, why didn’t these things happen in the 1950s with this frequency? we’re guns invented in the 1990s?

almost everything you say is destroyed by historical facts.

all those crazy things you say the gop stands for, yet people are leaving blue states for red ones, and the gop is poised to do great in november. why is that?

this week, senate republicans proposed a school safety bill. senate democrats killed it. so stop saying the gop does nothing. you’re lying.

the 2 sides have different ideas, and neither side is willing to compromise, and you are a perfect example of that ideology-driven stupidity.

More than 100 TV ads from Republican candidates and conservative-aligned groups showed guns or used guns as a talking point this year,

Pull your head from the Sand

the GOP unwillingness to try to prevent these Crimes is the actual issue ..

And chicago has a Gang and Gun Issue .. but get back to me when there intent is shooting and killing children Wholesale ..

How And Why Chicago Violence Became Conservatives' Favorite Talking Point

and clearly yours

For a certain segment of conservative politicians and pundits—far from all, to be sure—pointing out what is often referred to as “black-on-black crime” in Chicago has become the preferred shorthand for castigating ineffectual liberalism, reinforcing racial wedges and feigning a concern for crime victims—even when their voting records paint a different picture of their priorities.

https://chicagoist.com/2016/08/29/ho...nce_became.php
Old 05-27-2022, 08:36 AM   #3
Jim in CT

Quote:
More than 100 TV ads from Republican candidates and conservative-aligned groups showed guns or used guns as a talking point this year,

And chicago has a Gang and Gun Issue .. but get back to me when there intent is shooting and killing children Wholesale ..

and clearly yours

For a certain segment of conservative politicians and pundits—far from all, to be sure—pointing out what is often referred to as “black-on-black crime” in Chicago has become the preferred shorthand for castigating ineffectual liberalism, reinforcing racial wedges and feigning a concern for crime victims—even when their voting records paint a different picture of their priorities.

if the democrats want to solve this and have the right ideas, why haven’t biden and the democrats in congress passed those solutions? Who’s stopping them? They run the show. Do you not get that?
Old 05-27-2022, 03:11 PM   #4
Got Stripers
Ledge Runner Baits

Quote:
if the democrats want to solve this and have the right ideas, why haven’t biden and the democrats in congress passed those solutions? Who’s stopping them? They run the show. Do you not get that?
Because laws die at Mitches feet and two democrats will not work to eliminate the filibuster.
Old 05-28-2022, 10:06 AM   #5
Jim in CT

Quote:
Originally Posted by Got Stripers View Post
Because laws die at Mitches feet and two democrats will not work to eliminate the filibuster.
which now did dems try to pass that mitch killed, which would have prevented this?

after this shooting, senate republicans proposed some
kind of school
safety bill that senate democrats killed. Funny that you didn’t complain about that.

And i agree with you that the gop is too stubborn on gums. Maybe we should have stricter purchase reuirements for the ar-15, tougher background checks or red flag laws? again, there are so many out there that such a law might not do much, but maybe it helps. little. maybe raise the age to 21.

But i don’t see the left doing anything except making political speeches, either

We have to be able to talk about what has been tried already, and whether or not it worked. We need to be able to talk honestly about what works and what doesn’t. Neither side can do that. We elect too many jerks on both sides.

But we need to be able to say out loud, that due to the fact that there are more guns out there right now than people living in the country, prospective gun laws aren’t the only aspect of this. There’s a lot more to it.

You almost never hear democrats discuss anything other than gun control, because that’s the aspect of this that polling shows is a political winner for them. Same with the right and opposing gun control.
Old 05-27-2022, 08:42 AM   #6
Jim in CT

Quote:

and clearly yours

chicago style violence claims way more lives than these mass shootings. John had the numbers

Your side ignores that, because it’s not a politically winning issue for them.

I’m not distorting anything. your side is. they spend all their energy on mass shootings because they think it helps them win elections.

They never talk about the much larger scale problem, because it makes their side look incompetent. Which, unfortunately for you, they are.

CT has had pure un checked
liberalism for decades. Sandy Hook happened here. Was that somehow the fault of republicans, who control nothing here in CT?

again, i’m reacting to actual results. You’re only reacting to what helps your ideology. Even now.
Old 05-27-2022, 09:12 AM   #7
RIROCKHOUND
Also known as OAK

Too much emotion on both sides and not wading through the thread, so this is likely one and done... This one hits close to the bone with a 3rd and 6th grader. Plus I am staying out of here in protest of ScottW fishing the keys for a month straight....

If I were the Dem in the senate, I would put up a clean bill with some of the topics presented here (background, waiting, etc). Get everyone on the record on each of these issues rather than a more convoluted bill trying to do everything.

I would recommend a book called 'Gunfight' by Ryan Busse. Interesting perspective (former gun company executive) on the cultural change in the last decade or so, particularly on the marketing of body armor/tactical gear/AR-type weapons etc. to couch commandos.. He has a Ted talk out there as well.

Bryan

Originally Posted by #^&#^&#^&#^&#^&#^&#^&#^&#^&#^&#^&
"For once I agree with Spence. UGH. I just hope I don't get the urge to go start buying armani suits to wear in my shop"
Old 05-27-2022, 09:51 AM   #8
Jim in CT

Quote:
Originally Posted by RIROCKHOUND View Post
Too much emotion on both sides and not wading through the thread, so this is likely one and done... This one hits close to the bone with a 3rd and 6th grader. Plus I am staying out of here in protest of ScottW fishing the keys for a month straight....

If I were the Dem in the senate, I would put up a clean bill with some of the topics presented here (background, waiting, etc). Get everyone on the record on each of these issues rather than a more convoluted bill trying to do everything.

I would recommend a book called 'Gunfight' by Ryan Busse. Interesting perspective (former gun company executive) on the cultural change in the last decade or so, particularly on the marketing of body armor/tactical gear/AR-type weapons etc. to couch commandos.. He has a Ted talk out there as well.
i don’t think it can be denied that the look of the ar-15 fuels
the fantasies of a small number of very, very sick folks. that has to be part of this. but if we ban them going forward, given how many are out there, does it do anything? or do we confiscate the ones that are out there?

we had a nationwide assault weapons ban. they let it lapse, because it didn’t do anything. but that was before the rise of these couch commando mass killings, maybe it would have more of an impact now, on those?
Old 05-27-2022, 11:19 AM   #9
JohnR
Certifiable Intertidal Anguiologist

Quote:
Mass shootings are so common that mayors now have a checklist for when one happens

Mayors have a checklist (Incident Response Plan) for a bunch of different things, well usually the EMA Director does or the PD Chief / FD Chief depending on purview. That have it for weather, shootings, IT issues, contageous outbreaks (pre-COIVD), and 99 other topics.

Quote:
how can there be a school that doesn’t have a kick system for christ’s sake?

i saw a report that an offf duty cop was getting a haircut. his wife and daughter were in the school. the wife texted him. he grabbed a shotgun from the barbers office ( it’s TX after all), went to the school, got his daughter out, got a bunch of other kids out, and apparently helped coordinate with CBP as they were entering.

i also hears a mom broke past police and got into the school somehow, and got her two kids out. the wall street journal reported that.

it’s hard to process it all. also hearing that some cops who appeared to be standing there doing nothing had actually been shot already. Lots more to learn.

Lock the god damn doors.
I have seen some bad things, but as usual, first and second reports often wrong. Let's see what shakes out.

Quote:
Originally Posted by RIROCKHOUND View Post

I recommend people consider that if anything has proven true over the past 10-15 years is that government is increasingly failing in protecting people, both parties, from security to Baby Formula, to your rights. The trend of our country and the world in general has become more turbulent, dangerous, and divided. There has been ZERO evidence to indicate this trend is going to reverse. The Games Have Yet To Begin.

So with all of the great jobs done by all the "experts", seems kinda foolish to turn all of your security over to them.

~Fix the Bait~ ~Pogies Forever~

Striped Bass Fishing - All Stripers

Kobayashi Maru Election - there is no way to win.

Apocalypse is Coming:
Old 05-27-2022, 04:10 PM   #10
wdmso

Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnR View Post
Mayors have a checklist (Incident Response Plan) for a bunch of different things, well usually the EMA Director does or the PD Chief / FD Chief depending on purview. That have it for weather, shootings, IT issues, contageous outbreaks (pre-COIVD), and 99 other topics.
But that's not really the Point, I am we aware of disorder management plans or (Incident Response Plan) for a bunch of different things

it's the reason they need the plan to start with .. that should be the concern ..

from this school has guns stashed for teachers 2017

Last edited by The Dad Fisherman; 05-27-2022 at 06:47 PM..