Striper Talk Striped Bass Fishing, Surfcasting, Boating

Left Nav S-B Home Register FAQ Members List S-B on Facebook Arcade WEAX Tides Buoys Calendar Today's Posts Right Nav

Left Container Right Container

Go Back   Striper Talk Striped Bass Fishing, Surfcasting, Boating » Striper Chat - Discuss stuff other than fishing ~ The Scuppers and Political talk » Sports Talk - Title Town

Sports Talk - Title Town Sports Talk - Our Home for the 2004/2007 World Champion Red Sox, Super Bowl XXXVI, XXXVIII, XXXIX Champion Patriots! SEVENTEEN TIME NBA Champion Boston Celtics, 2011 winners of Lord Stanley's Cup Boston Bruins!!!

Old 02-22-2009, 11:52 AM   #1
Swimmer
Retired Surfer

Joe Morgan question

My buddy that I have coffee with just about every morning told me that before Joe Morgan was picked off the waver wire for the manager's job on the sox he was driving a plow for the Mass. pike authority. And after he was let go he went right back there. Ronnie is this true or anyone?

Swimmer a.k.a. YO YO MA
Serial Mailbox Killer/Seal Fisherman
Swimmer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2009, 12:46 PM   #2
The Dad Fisherman
Super Moderator

I had heard the same thing.....that was what he did in the off-season.

"If you're arguing with an idiot, make sure he isn't doing the same thing."
The Dad Fisherman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2009, 11:36 AM   #3
Ed B

Joe Morgan did drive a plow for the Mass turnpike authority to supplement his minor league salary, but how your buddy phrased it is a little bit of an exageration. Joe Morgan was a long time manager for the Pawtucket Red Sox and also a base coach at Fenway.

When the Sox fired MacNamara, Morgan was given the job as a temporary while the Sox searched for a high profile guy. I believe Morgan was coaching for the Sox when he was promoted to temporary manager. The Sox went on to win a bunch of games and the phrase "Morgan Magic" was coined. He was my favorite and very popular in Boston.

His career stats as a manager in Pawtucket and Boston are are easy to find, but I'm not sure how long he plowed. I did hear he plowed some winters for a while after he was fired from the Sox but I'm not sure if that was truth or rumor.
Ed B is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2009, 09:45 AM   #4
Swimmer
Retired Surfer

All the guys at my job new he plowed and they say he still does now for extra money. Seems everyone at work new about this but me. Edb I'm sure you placed it in the proper conext. I was just amazed at hearing it.

Swimmer a.k.a. YO YO MA
Serial Mailbox Killer/Seal Fisherman
Swimmer is offline   Reply With Quote