Striper Talk Striped Bass Fishing, Surfcasting, Boating

Left Nav S-B Home Register FAQ Members List S-B on Facebook Arcade WEAX Tides Buoys Calendar Today's Posts Right Nav

Left Container Right Container

Go Back   Striper Talk Striped Bass Fishing, Surfcasting, Boating » Build Stuff: Custom Plug & Lure Building, Rod Building » Plug Building - Got Wood?

Plug Building - Got Wood? Got Plug?

Old 03-29-2009, 08:50 AM   #1
enviroman57

Weighing in on Swimming Plugs

Jigman - Nice how to posted for the Danny plug. I have been building plugs for two years and some of the jigs you came up with will make the job easier - Thanks. I have two questions - the weight used for swimming plugs - does it have to be in the center of the plug? How much weight do you use? A third question - you recommended the lip with the upper hole -Have ou ever tried to use the other kind of lip?
enviroman57 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2009, 02:22 PM   #2
numbskull
Oblivious // Grunt, Grunt Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by enviroman57 View Post
Jigman - Nice how to posted for the Danny plug. I have been building plugs for two years and some of the jigs you came up with will make the job easier - Thanks. I have two questions - the weight used for swimming plugs - does it have to be in the center of the plug? How much weight do you use? A third question - you recommended the lip with the upper hole -Have ou ever tried to use the other kind of lip?
If we are being politically correct, a true "danny plug" always has the weight at the center of balance (about 8-10 grams is common in commercial versions) and always uses a mid-slot lip with no flair (ie not a lefty lip).

The term "danny" gets used for all sorts of other surface swimmers.....many of which are very good. The RM "danny" for instance uses a fat buoyant body to counter act the diving action of a high slot lip (with a long lower lip to boot) and works quite well. Plenty of other swimmers (like the musso) have weights further back, or further forward with an added tail weight for balance, and work fine.

Setting up your plug to float level with the waterline at the lip slot is a good place to start.
numbskull is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2009, 08:58 PM   #3
Jigman

Been a while since I've made a danny like that one. Did not try other lips in it, though I would think the small danny lip that CC Tackle makes would work for that plug. I use that lip in another small danny that I make. Numbskull pretty much answered your questions. Just to add to what he suggested, on weighing a plug, I test each style and adjust the amount of weight and location until I find the combo that works best for that plug.

Jigman
Jigman is offline   Reply With Quote