Striper Talk Striped Bass Fishing, Surfcasting, Boating

Left Nav S-B Home Register FAQ Members List S-B on Facebook Arcade WEAX Tides Buoys Calendar Today's Posts Right Nav

Left Container Right Container

Go Back   Striper Talk Striped Bass Fishing, Surfcasting, Boating » Main Forum » StriperTalk!

StriperTalk! All things Striper

Old 07-29-2020, 09:15 PM   #1
ivanputski
Pete K.

Coast guard boarding your vessel for safety check during covid

I was out today on the water with my family , and coast guard was randomly boarding vessels for safety checks, and I often see being done... (I was boarded years ago... no big deal, but it feels like getting searched by the cops)

My question is, do boaters have the right to request that coast guard personnel NOT board a small boat during the age of covid/ social distancing? Is it possible to request that you will show them what they need to see one by one,
while tied up along side, without boarding ?
ivanputski is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2020, 05:56 AM   #2
Guppy
User

Quote:
Originally Posted by ivanputski View Post
I was out today on the water with my family , and coast guard was randomly boarding vessels for safety checks, and I often see being done... (I was boarded years ago... no big deal, but it feels like getting searched by the cops)

My question is, do boaters have the right to request that coast guard personnel NOT board a small boat during the age of covid/ social distancing? Is it possible to request that you will show them what they need to see one by one,
while tied up along side, without boarding ?
With or without we should have the right,,, IMO
Save the report onboard, it’s like a one yr. pass
Guppy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2020, 06:52 AM   #3
JFigliuolo

The CG has an incredible amount of authority on the water. You can REQUEST that they do not board, but they can board/search your vessel whenever they see fit. There are multiple threads over on THT about this very issue as it's a bigger deal down south with all the smuggling.

Good judgement comes from experience, and experience comes from bad judgement -- Keith Benning
JFigliuolo is offline   Reply With Quote