Striper Talk Striped Bass Fishing, Surfcasting, Boating

Left Nav S-B Home Register FAQ Members List S-B on Facebook Arcade WEAX Tides Buoys Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Right Nav

Left Container Right Container

Go Back   Striper Talk Striped Bass Fishing, Surfcasting, Boating » Build Stuff: Custom Plug & Lure Building, Rod Building » Plug Building - Got Wood?

Plug Building - Got Wood? Got Plug?

Old 01-11-2017, 02:21 PM   #1
striperswiper75

Center Finder

Hello,
I am just getting started in plug building. I am getting all of the pieces together to turn some wood. I also have some local resources to reach out to when the time arrives. I have been looking for a center-finder for square pieces of wood. I know that I can buy one online at Rockler or Woodcraft (search within the forum). I was hoping to buy one from a local store. I know that Harbor Freight used to carry them, but my search on their website and in person at the store has not produced any results. Does anyone know of a store that would carry them? I live in Milford, CT. Any advice would be helpful and appreciated.

It all started last year during a terrible thunderstorm, when I locked myself out of the house. Shelving myself with a large piece of sheet metal, I ran for cover under the tallest tree I could find!
striperswiper75 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2017, 02:34 PM   #2
Nebe

When I was building plugs, I made a home made one. 2 small pieces of wood 90 degrees from each other, then a thin sheet of stainless at 45 degrees. Put your blank in it, hit with a hammer. Turn it 180 degrees and hit it again. Perfect center every time.
Posted from my iPhone/Mobile device
Nebe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2017, 05:02 PM   #3
beamie

I haven't turned wood in years, have to get back into it. But my
Dad just taught me to draw an 'X' kiddy corner on the piece of wood to find the spot to drive your center. No tool needed......it's not the space shuttle.......

Jon, 24' Nauset-Green Topsides, Beamie, North River. Channel 68/69. MSBA, NIBA
beamie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2017, 05:19 PM   #4
JLH

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nebe View Post
When I was building plugs, I made a home made one. 2 small pieces of wood 90 degrees from each other, then a thin sheet of stainless at 45 degrees. Put your blank in it, hit with a hammer. Turn it 180 degrees and hit it again. Perfect center every time.
This is how I do it but I used a piece of a band saw blade instead of sheet stainless. Same end result.
JLH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2017, 06:07 PM   #5
BigFish
BigFish Bait Co.

Send a message via AIM to BigFish
I made a jig for my drill press......I find center on the piece of wood, set the jig in the drill press so the bit hits center and then I tap each end with a hole about 1/4 inch deep and my chucks fit right in the holes!!

On some plugs I will for instance pre-drill the tail end as it saves me the trouble later, especially the case on metal lipped swimmers as the forward hole is usually offset drilled.

Almost time to get our fish on!!!
BigFish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2017, 08:29 PM   #6
pbadad

Kev, just order on line. By time you search for one you'll have it. Woodcraft in Manchester has them but you'll spend more in gas than shipping.

Billy D.
pbadad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2017, 09:40 PM   #7
nightfighter
Seldom Seen

Quote:
Same, But turn 90 degrees to get you crossing lines. I used an old hacksaw blade that I glued in a slot I cut on the table saw. Scraps from around the shop and recycle an old blade. No need to spend money.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	centering.jpg
Views:	271
Size:	189.9 KB
ID:	63744  

Last edited by nightfighter; 01-11-2017 at 09:55 PM..

“Americans have the right and advantage of being armed, unlike the people of other countries, whose leaders are afraid to trust them with arms.” – James Madison.
nightfighter is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2017, 10:02 PM   #8
Nebe

Yes, I meant 90 degrees. Mine looked identicle to yours.
Old 01-11-2017, 10:18 PM   #9
Slipknot
Super Moderator

That is a good way to do it as far as quickly marking center crosses but there is a faster way if you have a good eye like I must have. I just eyeball it and stab with an awl.

If you want a fast way to center round dowel stock that may be the same size, a simple jig made of a piece of wood drilled with a hole the size of the dowel attached on top of another piece of wood with a short protruding nail sticks out in the exact center, now you just grab the blank and ream it on each end and quick as you can you have the 2 ends marked and punched at the same time. I have a way to do that with square stock also but I can't explain it in writing very well.

The United States Constitution does not exist to grant you rights; those rights are inherent within you. Rather it exists to frame a limited government so that those natural rights can be exercised freely.

1984 was a warning, not a guidebook!

It's time more people spoke up with the truth. Every time we let a leftist lie go uncorrected, the commies get stronger.
Slipknot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2017, 10:23 PM   #10
nightfighter
Seldom Seen

Quote:
Yes, I meant 90 degrees. Mine looked identicle to yours.
Sure you did..... I think you and this girl are related....

“Americans have the right and advantage of being armed, unlike the people of other countries, whose leaders are afraid to trust them with arms.” – James Madison.
nightfighter is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2017, 07:03 AM   #11
Nebe

Wow. Just wow.
Old 01-12-2017, 08:41 AM   #12
striperswiper75

Thank you all for your responses. I appreciate the help and information.

It all started last year during a terrible thunderstorm, when I locked myself out of the house. Shelving myself with a large piece of sheet metal, I ran for cover under the tallest tree I could find!
striperswiper75 is offline   Reply With Quote