Striper Talk Striped Bass Fishing, Surfcasting, Boating

Left Nav S-B Home Register FAQ Members List S-B on Facebook Arcade WEAX Tides Buoys Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Right Nav

Left Container Right Container

Go Back   Striper Talk Striped Bass Fishing, Surfcasting, Boating » Build Stuff: Custom Plug & Lure Building, Rod Building » Plug Building - Got Wood?

Plug Building - Got Wood? Got Plug?

Old 01-13-2013, 09:37 PM   #1
fishing bum wannabe

cutting vmc hooks

I haven't cut hooks before. When I needed cut hooks I used mustad precut figuring that they tin coat after cutting so there shouldn't be any bare metal after installing. Now I only use VMCs and I have run out of cut Mustads. I've recently cut some VMCs and tried sealing them with super glue figuring it's waterproof and pretty tenacious stuff. What is any one else doing and how well does it work?

fishing bum wannabe
fishing bum wannabe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2013, 10:30 PM   #2
stripermaineiac

Every time you cut a hook you weaken it. Some do it but I stay away from it. Really big fish don't treat gear very nice.They bend 4/0 easily when the right angle it hit.A weakened cut hook will bend an break easier.Choose a very good split ring an go with it. Just remeber the big ones will find any weakness no mater how good the gear or how carefull you are riggin it. Ron
stripermaineiac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2013, 10:33 PM   #3
BigFish
BigFish Bait Co.

Send a message via AIM to BigFish
Its a choice thing really....but I share Ron's sentiment! You only fatigue the metal by cutting and bending and then bending again....and that is where your tackle will fail first....and if its a Mustad it will shatter......seen that before as have a few buddies! Buy the best, screw the rest and put the split rings to the test!! Get VMC!

Almost time to get our fish on!!!
BigFish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2013, 03:26 AM   #4
makomania

Spro or Owner splits and 6x VMCs for me this year

I had one too many 4x bent out, and the 6x don't like to be cut
makomania is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2013, 07:17 AM   #5
Linesider82

Get a block of wood, dremel out a spot for the treble hook in the middle of the block so the cut-eye sticks out, use an awl or allen wrench slide it through the cut hook eye, bend to side (not up) just enough, then bend back. I stole this idea from Gary S.

If I can't find my block of wood jig, I use the opening of my table saw (just happens to fit a treble nicely.
Linesider82 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2013, 07:29 AM   #6
numbskull
Oblivious // Grunt, Grunt Master

I can't recall a cut VMC opening on me (there, that ought to jinx me good). I have had split rings fail, including one triple one I think. I agree that cutting 6x hooks wastes a lot of hooks (they snap when you open them). Adding a split ring adds weight equivalent to the next hook size up. Lots of plugs swim differently when you do this (not that that is necessarily bad).
numbskull is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2013, 11:02 AM   #7
Ian
Idiot

Quote:
Originally Posted by Linesider82 View Post
Get a block of wood, dremel out a spot for the treble hook in the middle of the block so the cut-eye sticks out, use an awl or allen wrench slide it through the cut hook eye, bend to side (not up) just enough, then bend back. I stole this idea from Gary S.

If I can't find my block of wood jig, I use the opening of my table saw (just happens to fit a treble nicely.
You can grab one of the prongs of the treble using linesman's pliers for this method too. Because is occupies the other hand it takes some creativity to get it on the hook hanger on the plug, but it works
Ian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2013, 07:54 AM   #8
GattaFish
Great White Scup Hunter

Some plugs split rings some cut 6x VMC's. can cut and open with one motion using sea striker crimps. Or do the it with the cut and flex method. I use a tail wrap jig someone made me and the weird bent pick that comes in a set instead of an awl

Never had the eye open on a cut hook.
Posted from my iPhone/Mobile device
GattaFish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2013, 08:18 AM   #9
chefchris401
Chris Blouin

Go on the lordship website, he has a great method, works amazing and you won't break that many hooks, even 6x ones
chefchris401 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2013, 01:48 PM   #10
makomania

Quote:
Originally Posted by chefchris401 View Post
Go on the lordship website, he has a great method, works amazing and you won't break that many hooks, even 6x ones
that's a good trick, Gary's method with a handle on the jig.
makomania is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2013, 08:59 AM   #11
fishing bum wannabe

I don't use cut hooks on anything other than smallish lures meant for small fish. That said a lot of big fish have been caught on SS lures with their original cut mustads. The question was not about using or not using cut hooks, but for those that cut VMCs, is there a good way to seal the cut ends to slow down corrosion?

thanks

fishing bum wannabe
fishing bum wannabe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2013, 09:20 AM   #12
stripermaineiac

Try hard as nails fingernail coating. I've kept it in my truck for years to use repairing guides and quick head cement to repair teasers blue fish beat up. I've even recoated plug paint thats coming off it works well.
stripermaineiac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2013, 09:24 AM   #13
chefchris401
Chris Blouin

I do the same, clear nail polish on the cut ends, does help a good amount
chefchris401 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2013, 09:34 PM   #14
ProfessorM
Uncle Remus

I too like to use cut hooks too on some plugs, dannies, needles. Hard as nails too but I usually forget. I just replace when rusty, but I'm independently wealthy. I use a sears wire - bolt cutter. Should have asked me to show you on Sat.

"A beach is a place where a man can feel he's the only soul in the world that's real"
ProfessorM is offline   Reply With Quote