Striper Talk Striped Bass Fishing, Surfcasting, Boating

Left Nav S-B Home Register FAQ Members List S-B on Facebook Arcade WEAX Tides Buoys Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Right Nav

Left Container Right Container

Go Back   Striper Talk Striped Bass Fishing, Surfcasting, Boating » Striper Chat - Discuss stuff other than fishing ~ The Scuppers and Political talk » The Scuppers

The Scuppers This is a new forum for the not necessarily fishing related topics...

Old 04-03-2016, 04:44 PM   #1
nightfighter
Seldom Seen

Chevey Silverado questions

Looking to get my son into a truck. Looking at a 2004 Chevy Silverado ext cab (not the four door crew cab) with a Z71 package. It was owned by a neighbor who passed 1 1/2 years ago. Been sitting. Inspection sticker expired 1/15. 114k miles. Both rockers showing rust, as is rear bumper. These trucks are getting more than I would like to pay, but this one looks good, except for the rockers. Has anyone replaced their rockers? How much? This repair is the major piece in negotiating the brother of the deceased down to where I feel it should be. That and the fact that Chevys don't like to sit for long periods. (So brakes, brake lines, belts and tires have to be discounted for sitting without moving...)
He wants 7500.00. I want to be around 5k and then do the work. I am doing the negotiating. The boy is going to do the paying.....

“Americans have the right and advantage of being armed, unlike the people of other countries, whose leaders are afraid to trust them with arms.” – James Madison.
nightfighter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2016, 05:20 PM   #2
ecduzitgood
time to go

Too much even at 5k if it needs all the work you say. Don't forget the potential old fuel issue since it has been sitting so long also.
Posted from my iPhone/Mobile device
ecduzitgood is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2016, 06:26 PM   #3
nightfighter
Seldom Seen

Also want to check any records for changing fluids in transmission, gearcase and differential..... At least with the latter two, I should know simply by the color as the original would have been red and the replacement fluid should be green.

“Americans have the right and advantage of being armed, unlike the people of other countries, whose leaders are afraid to trust them with arms.” – James Madison.
Old 04-03-2016, 06:56 PM   #4
Slipknot
Super Moderator

I don't know what the rockers will cost but I would not pay more than 5 that is sure
even though the mileage is reasonable maybe even low for the age, the truck is a lot closer to the end than the beginning.

other stuff that may be in need soon is converter, and check the fuel system but you are right if the rockers are bad, prepare for brake lines too

back then then put out crap for big dollars and did not care

I got 12 years out of my 2003 but I rinsed it after the beach and had engines done and a transmission, mine was the 5.3 liter also a Z71

good luck Ross

The United States Constitution does not exist to grant you rights; those rights are inherent within you. Rather it exists to frame a limited government so that those natural rights can be exercised freely.

1984 was a warning, not a guidebook!

It's time more people spoke up with the truth. Every time we let a leftist lie go uncorrected, the commies get stronger.
Slipknot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2016, 09:35 PM   #5
redlite

Typical chevy problems. Rusted rockers and cab corners. Been through it with others and gotta do it with my '02. Other big thing is spring shackles and rear shock brackets. Not too expensive but whore of a job and need welding. Go on youtube and watch videos of rocker panel replacmts. About $2k each dependin on how bad. They suck. Gotta do mine. Other Cheap but not pretty options availanlble. Like metal hvac tape. Spring shackles and shock brackets gotta take bed off to fix. Been there. Done that.
Also jack up front end and give wheels jiggle wiggle with a bar to see if need ball joints. Another inherint whore of a job.bumpers are notorious for rustin through and cant get sticker with rust holes. About $250- $300 for after market bumper and bitch puttin on cause only get metal bumper and need to CAREFULLY transfer all plastic parts over to new one Unless was plowed or trailered heavy loads engine and tranny should be good for at least 250k miles. Without seein truck wouldnt pay more thAn $4500 for it cause the nickel and dime time is comin on it. Water pump/ thermostat housing )$300, brake lines$$$$ cross member rust. Dash lites start goin out. Window regulators start #^&#^&#^&#^&tin bed ($150) Despite it id never buy anything but chevy/ gmc. Last 2 are still on road and i sold em with over 300k miles on em
redlite is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2016, 06:18 AM   #6
BigFish
BigFish Bait Co.

Send a message via AIM to BigFish
Mine has 180,000 miles on it....10 years old. Rockers are going fast and they can keep going! $2K a side???? Screw that! Money better spent throwing at a new truck! I will drive this one until it dies rocker panels or not! Its been a great truck! Never ever put a dime into the truck for mechanical issues......all tires brakes and a set of shocks but I know the hits are coming! I will give it some love when it needs it mechanically if I can get another 50-100K miles out of it but the body is not getting a nickel!

Almost time to get our fish on!!!
BigFish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2016, 06:51 AM   #7
Sea Dangles

I had an '02 suburban that I drove 13 years and never put a nickel into. 218,000 miles later I traded it in....for another burban.
Sea Dangles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2016, 08:36 AM   #8
redlite

So what was outcome. Did u buy the truck?
Old 04-13-2016, 09:46 AM   #9
Raider Ronnie

Send a message via AIM to Raider Ronnie
Quote:
Originally Posted by BigFish View Post
Mine has 180,000 miles on it....10 years old. Rockers are going fast and they can keep going! $2K a side???? Screw that! Money better spent throwing at a new truck! I will drive this one until it dies rocker panels or not! Its been a great truck! Never ever put a dime into the truck for mechanical issues......all tires brakes and a set of shocks but I know the hits are coming! I will give it some love when it needs it mechanically if I can get another 50-100K miles out of it but the body is not getting a nickel!

When you go for a Ma. Inspection sticker, if they are doing their job they will give you a rejection sticker.
Raider Ronnie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2016, 08:13 PM   #10
thefishingfreak
"Fishbucket"

Walk away. Rockers aren't something you just replace like a transmission. Your better off making a paper mache with hundred dollar bills and flour and pasting them on there yourself
thefishingfreak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2016, 09:15 PM   #11
nightfighter
Seldom Seen

Quote:
Originally Posted by redlite View Post
So what was outcome. Did u buy the truck?

Nope. Not yet.... The brother needs to come down from the clouds. If I can get it right, it will fit the bill for my son for the next two or three years.

Old 04-18-2016, 09:29 PM   #12
Jenn

I feel your pain.....the rust is starting and it's not cheap to fix but truck $$ seem to be outrageous for new and used. I can sit here and tell you nt to spend $5,000 on it but the fact of the matter it I know from looking myself thats the going rate and try to find something in better shape for that kind of money or less....probably not going to happen unless you get lucky. Debating whether to spend a small fortune to fix vs. a larger fotune to replace and be in the same boat in a couple years...only to have spent way more money in the process!

Simplify.......
Jenn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2016, 05:41 AM   #13
BigFish
BigFish Bait Co.

My 06' Silverado rockers are going......but so is the rear bumper and the wheel wells on both sides of the bed are popping. The truck has been awesome since new and owes me nothing at 180,000 miles I have not had a single repair.....just standard maintenance. However the cost to fix the body issues is too much! Figure if I can get 240-250,000 miles out of the truck thats pretty good! The body work is just more than I am willing to spend on a truck that I will only have 3-4 more years at best.

Old 04-19-2016, 05:43 AM   #14
BigFish
BigFish Bait Co.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Raider Ronnie View Post
When you go for a Ma. Inspection sticker, if they are doing their job they will give you a rejection sticker.
Easy to say for a body guy that can fix it himself. I know how to use bondo and if I have to slap some on there to get a passing grade I will.

Old 04-19-2016, 09:17 AM   #15
redlite

My drivers side rear rocker is wide open and when i went and got my scarlett letter "R" rejection sticker saturday they said tye rust rule was not cause for rejection as there is an exception for chevy/ gmc cause they all go. I got rejected for ball joints and loose front end.
My old truck i cut out rust on rockers and cab corners and filled them with spray foam which i then painted. Wasnt prettiest but was cheap easy fix. On another i cut out rust on cab corner and made a cap out of sheet metal that i shaped, riveted, painted. Looked pretty good
And my gas door is just about rusted thru now. Gotta buy one of those fancy lookin chrome stick- on covers to replace it
Just hit 200k on this 2500 and hopefully get another 100k out of it
Old 04-19-2016, 01:27 PM   #16
tysdad115

There is no exception...that's crazy. "Sharp edges" and rusted holes are a failure no matter what. You could always go to your friendly GMC service manager and he might be able to help you out. Know anyone like that ?
tysdad115 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2016, 03:43 PM   #17
Fly Rod

get a 2nd job if ya take to a GMC dealership.... the rear pasenger corner panal has hole, is starting to go on my 2003 silvarado, 160,000 miles....I agree about bondo....make sure you check heater control switch mine goes from 1-5, #4 was only working finally chit the bed also, replaced motor resistor surprised truck did not catch fire...there was a partial recall on the heater units check with the dealership the owner may have got a letter for replacement.... like someone said youtube for do it your self...

"When its not about money,it's all about money."...
Fly Rod is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2016, 04:37 PM   #18
Slipknot
Super Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fly Rod View Post
..make sure you check heater control switch mine goes from 1-5, #4 was only working finally chit the bed also, replaced motor resistor surprised truck did not catch fire...there was a partial recall on the heater units
I bought my 03 chevy brand new, never got one recall about that resistor, had it replaced 4 times on my dime, then Andy tells me about it was a covered repair so I found 3 receipts and they fixed the problem and he also got me my money back for the 3 times I paid for it. Trouble was, even after the dealer replacement that time, the geniuses at GM apparently still buy their junk parts from Mexico because it happened again and I had to pay for it because of miles. That is 7 times in 200,000 miles. My new GMC better not have any ghosts in the dashboard.

I still think Gm's don't rust nearly as fast as Fords. My Chevy was 12 plus years old and it just began to show a spot on the rim of the rear wheel well. I rinsed the truck after driving the beaches but brake lines still don't make it and I did not expect them to, but the rinsing and washing keeping it clean held off the rust for the most part.

The United States Constitution does not exist to grant you rights; those rights are inherent within you. Rather it exists to frame a limited government so that those natural rights can be exercised freely.

It's time more people spoke up with the truth. Every time we let a leftist lie go uncorrected, the commies get stronger.
Old 04-19-2016, 08:21 PM   #19
tysdad115

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fly Rod View Post
get a 2nd job if ya take to a GMC dealership....
Yeah ! Those guys all suck !! There was a special policy repair process on certain trucks. If you paid to have it fixed you can be reimbursed.

Does your incessant whining make you feel better? How about you just shut the hell up and suck it up? It's a fishing forum , so please just stop.
Old 04-20-2016, 09:29 AM   #20
Fly Rod

It is not the guys, its the dealership outrages price of parts and not only the dealerships, some auto parts supply stores...one part store in town C A P wanted 95 bucks for resistor....Napa 56 bucks....tail light bulbs C A P 2 bucks each....Napa 89 cents, I buy them by the dozsen for the family cars....before going out for a drink always check your bulbs U will get stopped where I live if light is out....

Old 04-20-2016, 09:30 AM   #21
piemma
Very Grumpy bay man

All my dashboard functions went out about 4 months ago. I took it to my Chevy dealer and they said my "cluster" was gone. New cluster $1K, used $400 plus 4 to 6 hundred in labor.
I said F/U and took it home, found a loose gang of wires, pushed on them and banged on the top of the dashboard and everything came back on. Been fine since then.
Anyone ever have this problem? Dealer said they see it all the time. I think they are full of chit.
2004 Silverado, 2500 4/4 extended cab.

No boat, back in the suds.
piemma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2016, 09:38 AM   #22
Fly Rod

yes I did several years ago just made the warranty back then....checked on youtube and was less then a hundred bucks 48 hour return on your old one....if a person is mechanically inclined go to youtube everything is there....my daughter uses youtube for her car...

Old 04-20-2016, 09:47 AM   #23
Slipknot
Super Moderator

yes my 2003 had more than just the relentless fan speed issue, the speedometer went out when cold, then the tach also, I did not know it was a covered thing until a certain mileage so of course by the time I found out it was past the miles, thanks for the notification on that GM
Also half the dash lights had issues by the end but that is the way it goes I guess, still better than buying foreign.

Old 04-20-2016, 01:27 PM   #24
tysdad115

Quote:
Originally Posted by piemma View Post
All my dashboard functions went out about 4 months ago. I took it to my Chevy dealer and they said my "cluster" was gone. New cluster $1K, used $400 plus 4 to 6 hundred in labor.
I said F/U and took it home, found a loose gang of wires, pushed on them and banged on the top of the dashboard and everything came back on. Been fine since then.
Anyone ever have this problem? Dealer said they see it all the time. I think they are full of chit.
2004 Silverado, 2500 4/4 extended cab.
Paul they are trying to screw you...the instrument clusters are another "common failure" issue. GM had a special policy coverage on those also but it was very limited in terms of time and mileage.

When a dealer orders a cluster they come from a supplier which remanufactures them. You can't buy a "new" one. We sell them reman clusters at $295.00 , and up to an hour and a half to install and program them so your total including MA tax would be $463.00.

Does your incessant whining make you feel better? How about you just shut the hell up and suck it up? It's a fishing forum , so please just stop.
Old 04-20-2016, 01:31 PM   #25
tysdad115

If anyone is in need of any GM parts for any vehicles let me know, I get a very good deal on parts and I never mind helping out an S-B member.

Old 04-20-2016, 01:49 PM   #26
redlite

Yeah i got the notorious radio and climate control light failure as well
Geez, the more i think about it, my decent truck really seems like a P.O.S
But since i dont got 50g's to buy a new one i just be happy with what i got
Old 04-20-2016, 02:21 PM   #27
trevier

Quote:
Originally Posted by tysdad115 View Post
If anyone is in need of any GM parts for any vehicles let me know, I get a very good deal on parts and I never mind helping out an S-B member.
I don't need parts, I need a whole new truck.
trevier is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2016, 02:52 PM   #28
Slipknot
Super Moderator

They have those too Trevier,
I got mine in Sept. from Robertsons
Andy hooked me up good

Old 04-20-2016, 03:42 PM   #29
onsetangler

I'd agree I'm moving on from my 06 silverado...minimal rust but I know how they go. I'm only gonna ask 2500 for mine. Truck looks great but I know there will be underlying issues and I'm no mechanic. Price is too high in that condition imho.
onsetangler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2016, 08:20 PM   #30
Jenn

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigFish View Post
My 06' Silverado rockers are going......but so is the rear bumper and the wheel wells on both sides of the bed are popping. The truck has been awesome since new and owes me nothing at 180,000 miles I have not had a single repair.....just standard maintenance. However the cost to fix the body issues is too much! Figure if I can get 240-250,000 miles out of the truck thats pretty good! The body work is just more than I am willing to spend on a truck that I will only have 3-4 more years at best.

cant complain with the 180k but dont you feel a little anger saying it owes you nothing when its rotting out and only 10 years old? I swear that the "lease" is the worst thing to happen to the auto industry. Sure its fine for those that lease new. They trade it in, dealers sells for still good money and the vehichles are now only made to last about as long as the post lease sale warranty is up and thats about it!

Simplify.......
Jenn is offline   Reply With Quote