Striper Talk Striped Bass Fishing, Surfcasting, Boating

Left Nav S-B Home Register FAQ Members List S-B on Facebook Arcade WEAX Tides Buoys Calendar Today's Posts Right Nav

Left Container Right Container

Go Back   Striper Talk Striped Bass Fishing, Surfcasting, Boating » Striper Chat - Discuss stuff other than fishing ~ The Scuppers and Political talk » Political Threads

Political Threads This section is for Political Threads - Enter at your own risk. If you say you don't want to see what someone posts - don't read it :hihi:

Old 04-05-2020, 08:10 PM   #91
Pete F.
Canceled

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sea Dangles View Post
Fake news Bitchslappedboy
Posted from my iPhone/Mobile device
MRI1
The Trump* administration wasted 70 days downplaying Covid-19
No fake news involved, only fake information from the administration.
Typical Trump* projection, surprised he has not had John Baron call reporters.
The Stable Genius, pharmacist in chief, man with natural ability is at his daily rally now.
He's claiming nobody saw this coming, really how stupid does he think people are and doesn't he realize he is in the leakiest town in the world.
It will all come out.
Shorter Trump presser, if you missed it: It's the media's fault. It's Obama's fault. It's the Democrats' fault. It's the governors' fault. It's our allies' fault. It's the Chinese . . .

Frasier: Niles, I’ve just had the most marvelous idea for a website! People will post their opinions, cheeky bon mots, and insights, and others will reply in kind!

Niles: You have met “people”, haven’t you?

Lets Go Darwin
Old 04-05-2020, 09:00 PM   #92
Sea Dangles

I see a light at the end of the tunnel.
👍🏿
Old 04-06-2020, 09:18 AM   #93
detbuch

Trump is being criticized for "downplaying" the threat of the virus in January and February. And that he doesn't listen to or contradicts his experts. Here is what his expert, Dr Fauci, said in January:

“It’s a very, very low risk to the United States,” Fauci said during an interview with radio show host John Catsimatidis.
“But it’s something that we as public health officials need to take very seriously... It isn’t something the American public needs to worry about or be frightened about. Because we have ways of preparing and screening of people coming in [from China]. And we have ways of responding - like we did with this one case in Seattle, Washington, who had traveled to China and brought back the infection.”

https://thehill.com/homenews/sunday-...-something-the
Old 04-06-2020, 09:54 AM   #94
Jim in CT

Quote:
Originally Posted by detbuch View Post
Trump is being criticized for "downplaying" the threat of the virus in January and February. And that he doesn't listen to or contradicts his experts. Here is what his expert, Dr Fauci, said in January:

“It’s a very, very low risk to the United States,” Fauci said during an interview with radio show host John Catsimatidis.
“But it’s something that we as public health officials need to take very seriously... It isn’t something the American public needs to worry about or be frightened about. Because we have ways of preparing and screening of people coming in [from China]. And we have ways of responding - like we did with this one case in Seattle, Washington, who had traveled to China and brought back the infection.”

exactly. the worlds leading experts had it wrong. And imagine what the liberal response would have been, if Trump ignored the medical community and mandated a national lockdown. What would
Pete, Spence, WDMSO, GS , and Paul have said if Trump did that?

The whole world got caught unprepared. Pelosi and Diblasio told their constituents in late february to continue to go to crowded public places. But it’s all Trumps fault.
Old 04-06-2020, 10:01 AM   #95
wdmso

Quote:

Because we have ways of preparing and screening. Clearly

. But you left out who's in charge , Fauci didn't stick with his 1st impression. he evolved. TRUMP never evolved until he couldn't wish it away. I dont understand the lengths people go to defend this guy.

Why it's an outrageous idea to hold the POTUS accountable for his poor judgement

There's a saying about leadership in the military You can delegate authority but you can't delegate the responsibility Trump and his supporters are saying oh yes you can....
Old 04-06-2020, 10:07 AM   #96
Jim in CT

Quote:
Originally Posted by wdmso View Post

. But you left out who's in charge , Fauci didn't stick with his 1st impression. he evolved. TRUMP never evolved until he couldn't wish it away. I dont understand the lengths people go to defend this guy.

Why it's an outrageous idea to hold the POTUS accountable for his poor judgement

There's a saying about leadership in the military You can delegate authority but you can't delegate the responsibility Trump and his supporters are saying oh yes you can....
“Trump never evolved.”

you’re completely bonkers. Did Trump have the CDC and army corps of engineers working around the clock in January? Did Trump ask the private sector in January to stop what they were doing and
make facemasks?

we’re not going to lengths to defend the guy, we are pointing out what actually happened. You’re the one going to stupefying lengths to attack the guy.
Old 04-06-2020, 10:46 AM   #97
detbuch

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim in CT View Post

we’re not going to lengths to defend the guy, we are pointing out what actually happened. You’re the one going to stupefying lengths to attack the guy.
You nailed it. But he won't understand that.
Old 04-06-2020, 10:49 AM   #98
Jim in CT

Quote:
You nailed it. But he won't understand that.
i did, and he won’t.

Not a syllable about Pelosi and Diblasio telling constituents in late february to keep going to public places, encouraging them to go to bars and restaurants.
Old 04-06-2020, 11:20 AM   #99
detbuch

Quote:

But I thought we were told that "we" (meaning Trump) were woefully unprepared in just about every respect, including screening.

. But you left out who's in charge , Fauci didn't stick with his 1st impression. he evolved. TRUMP never evolved until he couldn't wish it away.

In charge of what? Fauci and the medical "experts" were in charge of diagnosing conditions and advising what the risk was. You say he "evolved." So did Trump, in accordance with the same reality that informed Fauci. Of course, it is impossible for you to admit that, so must characterize it as "until he couldn't wish it away." It's that mind reading trick you use whenever you need to bash Trump without solid evidence in order to tell us what he REALLY was thinking.

I dont understand the lengths people go to defend this guy.

As Jim said you're the one going to stupefying lengths to attack the guy.

It must be even more outrageous to you to point out his good judgment.

That's a very general statement. I suppose the implication is, if you're the President you're responsible for the poor judgment of those to whom you've delegated authority. So, if that's the case, then why is there this incessant accusation that Trump does not listen to or disagrees with his appointees. What is so precious about their opinions if they are not responsible for them.

I'm just guessing . . . I think most folks, especially anti-Trumpers, want Trump to abide by the decisions and opinions of the medical experts such as Fauci, rather than disregarding them and taking on the responsibility himself of judging what needs to be done.

Also, in spite of the notion that you and so many have that the President has the sole, or even major, responsibility, for doing what is necessary to fight the virus, that is not the case. You're implicit "downplaying" the responsibility of state and local authorities which are actually the front line and most responsible for fighting that war according to the national blueprint which was created for preparing for and fighting pandemics.
Old 04-06-2020, 12:04 PM   #100
wdmso

Quote:
“Trump never evolved.”

you’re completely bonkers. Did Trump have the CDC and army corps of engineers working around the clock in January? Did Trump ask the private sector in January to stop what they were doing and
make facemasks?

I love your version of what actually happen ... please show us because you have clearly been shown a time line several times , but insist trumps done More ??
Old 04-06-2020, 12:19 PM   #101
Jim in CT

Quote:
I love your version of what actually happen ... please show us because you have clearly been shown a time line several times , but insist trumps done More ??
do you even know what youre saying, what you are defending? You are claiming that trump feels the same way about this virus today, as he did in january. that’s ridiculous. the army corps
of engineers want building makeshift hospitals in January. you’re making up gibberish to criticize trump.

if you want to say he should
have done more in january, i agree with that. you’re saying he’s not doing anything different today compared to january, and that’s bonkers.
Old 04-06-2020, 12:37 PM   #102
spence

Quote:

If you listen to the actual interview Fauci qualifies that statement very specifically.

I know you’re busy, here it is in full.

http://www.catsimatidis.com/dr-antho...rus-in-the-us/

His remark is based primarily on very thorough port of entry screening measures that he anticipated but never really materialized.

Hell, my sister landed in the US from an international flight in mid March as things were really blowing up and didn’t even get as much as a single question related to the pandemic when clearing customs. On nearly the same day a flight of spring breakers flew from her departure airport landing in the US with 44 infected.
Old 04-06-2020, 01:06 PM   #103
detbuch

Quote:
Originally Posted by spence View Post
If you listen to the actual interview Fauci qualifies that statement very specifically.

I know you’re busy, here it is in full.

http://www.catsimatidis.com/dr-antho...rus-in-the-us/

His remark is based primarily on very thorough port of entry screening measures that he anticipated but never really materialized.

Hell, my sister landed in the US from an international flight in mid March as things were really blowing up and didn’t even get as much as a single question related to the pandemic when clearing customs. On nearly the same day a flight of spring breakers flew from her departure airport landing in the US with 44 infected.
OK, so I listened to the full interview and there was no hint of Fauci backtracking or qualifying its being, as I quoted him, “a very, very low risk to the United States,” Fauci said during an interview with radio show host John Catsimatidis. “But it’s something that we as public health officials need to take very seriously... It isn’t something the American public needs to worry about or be frightened about. Because we have ways of preparing and screening of people coming in [from China]"

Whether or not something did or didn't materialize later doesn't take away from the "messaging" he gave at the time which was similar in essence to the so-called "downplaying" that Trump was excoriated for. According to wdmso and, I presume, all anti-Trumpers, Fauci is allowed to "evolve" his thinking, but Trump is not. And that's the point I was making.

Obviously, it turned out to be more serious than Fauci thought. Or than Trump, or Pelosi, and Diblasio, and most other lefty commentators thought and expressed at the time. But Trump is the dummy who gave us bad "messaging" which caused the crisis.

Last edited by detbuch; 04-06-2020 at 01:13 PM..
Old 04-06-2020, 01:51 PM   #104
Pete F.
Canceled

How a different democracy did not wait 70 days, but acted immediately, with urgency, direction and achieved different results.

SEOUL - In late January, South Korean health officials summoned representatives from more than 20 medical companies from their lunar New Year celebrations to a conference room tucked inside Seoul’s busy train station.

One of the country’s top infectious disease officials delivered an urgent message: South Korea needed an effective test immediately to detect the novel coronavirus, then running rampant in China. He promised the companies swift regulatory approval.

Though there were only four known cases in South Korea at that point, “we were very nervous. We believed that it could develop into a pandemic,” one attendee, Lee Sang-won, an infectious diseases expert at the Korea Centers for Disease Control and Prevention, told Reuters.

“We acted like an army,” he said.

A week after the Jan. 27 meeting, South Korea’s CDC approved one company’s diagnostic test. Another company soon followed. By the end of February, South Korea was making headlines around the world for its drive-through screening centers and ability to test thousands of people daily.

South Korea’s swift action stands in stark contrast to what has transpired in the United States. Seven weeks after the train station meeting, the Koreans have tested well over 290,000 people and identified over 8,000 infections. New cases are falling off: Ninety-three were reported Wednesday, down from a daily peak of 909 two weeks earlier.

The United States, whose first case was detected the same day as South Korea’s, is not even close to meeting demand for testing. About 60,000 tests have been run by public and private labs in a country of 330 million, federal officials said Tuesday.

As a result, U.S. officials don’t fully grasp how many Americans have been infected and where they are concentrated - crucial to containment efforts. While more than 7,000 U.S. cases had been identified as of Wednesday, as many as 96 million people could be infected in coming months, and 480,000 could die, according to a projection prepared for the American Hospital Association by Dr. James Lawler, an infectious disease expert at the University of Nebraska Medical Center.

How the United States fell so far behind South Korea, according to infectious disease experts, clinicians and state and local officials, is a tale of many contrasts in the two nations’ public health systems: a streamlined bureaucracy versus a congested one, bold versus cautious leadership, and a sense of urgency versus a reliance on protocol.

The delayed and chaotic testing in the United States will cost lives, potentially including those of doctors and nurses, many medical experts predict. Already more than 100 people have died overall, and fears of rampant spread have led to extraordinary restrictions on social interaction, upending the U.S. economy, schools, hospitals and everyday life.

The administration of President Donald Trump was tripped up by government rules and conventions, former officials and public health experts say. Instead of drafting the private sector early on to develop tests, as South Korea did, U.S. health officials relied, as is customary, on test kits prepared by the U.S. Centers for Disease Control and Prevention, some of which proved faulty. Then, sticking to its time-consuming vetting procedures, the U.S. Food and Drug Administration didn’t approve tests other than the CDC’s until Feb. 29, more than five weeks after discussions with outside labs had begun.

Meanwhile, in the absence of enough kits, the CDC insisted for weeks on narrow criteria for testing, recommending it only when a person had recently been to China or other hot spots or had contact with someone known to be infected. As a result, the federal government failed to screen an untold number of Americans and missed opportunities to contain the spread, clinicians and public health experts say.

South Korea took a risk, releasing briskly vetted tests, then circling back later to spot check their effectiveness. By contrast, the United States’ FDA said it wanted to ensure, upfront, that the tests were accurate before they went out to millions of Americans.

Meanwhile, nobody in this administration can tell what the plan is beyond having a daily Trump Rally.

Now go ahead and spout the gaslighting baloney that you have bought into about how proactive this administration was regarding anything to do with Covid-19.

Because there is no path to rebuilding the American economy and protecting people from this virus at the current level of testing. And that’s why the lies about tests will be the alpha and omega of Trump’s slow, disastrous response.

Frasier: Niles, I’ve just had the most marvelous idea for a website! People will post their opinions, cheeky bon mots, and insights, and others will reply in kind!

Lets Go Darwin
Old 04-06-2020, 02:03 PM   #105
detbuch

Sounds like, as has been said in other posts, that the U.S. regulatory bureaucracy that was in place at the time of the coronavirus, was ill equipped at all levels of government as well as being overregulated, and its experts were too caught up in their own mess. And that had to be overcome by the Trump administration before a more feasible approach could be created.
Old 04-06-2020, 04:39 PM   #106
Got Stripers
Ledge Runner Baits

Quote:
do you even know what youre saying, what you are defending? You are claiming that trump feels the same way about this virus today, as he did in january. that’s ridiculous. the army corps
of engineers want building makeshift hospitals in January. you’re making up gibberish to criticize trump.

if you want to say he should
have done more in january, i agree with that. you’re saying he’s not doing anything different today compared to january, and that’s bonkers.
Because dawn finally broke over Marblehead and he couldn’t hide from the facts, early on sadly when it could have made a difference, it was downplay and personal priorities. In January and February it was more important to hold 9 rallies. Of course golf is important to Trump as it allows the family to make some money even in hard times, so he got 6 rounds in through March 8th.
Old 04-06-2020, 05:05 PM   #107
Sea Dangles

As sure as the sun will rise
Old 04-06-2020, 05:26 PM   #108
Pete F.
Canceled

Quote:
Sounds like, as has been said in other posts, that the U.S. regulatory bureaucracy that was in place at the time of the coronavirus, was ill equipped at all levels of government as well as being overregulated, and its experts were too caught up in their own mess. And that had to be overcome by the Trump administration before a more feasible approach could be created.
Just who is and has for years been administering that bureaucracy, are you saying this administration is incapable of doing the job they were elected to do?
I’m glad you’re eyes have finally opened

Lets Go Darwin
Old 04-06-2020, 05:28 PM   #109
scottw

^^^^ I like this pete better
Old 04-06-2020, 05:53 PM   #110
detbuch

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pete F. View Post
Just who is and has for years been administering that bureaucracy, are you saying this administration is incapable of doing the job they were elected to do?
I’m glad you’re eyes have finally opened
Federal regulatory agencies are designed to run themselves. It is only when a problem arises, or a new mandate is given to them, that The President or the Congress involve themselves.

That bureaucracy was ill equipped and ill prepared before Trump arrived. that was not known by the new administration until the coronavirus hit. It was his administration that had to work through that mess in order to finally provide what the Federal government was able to do. The pandemic response protocols in place, dormant and unattended to with some critical items not having been restocked before the pandemic hit had to be reworked by the current administration and made operational. It took a bit of time, but once it worked through the flustercluck it got rolling pretty well and is doing a pretty good job now.
Old 04-06-2020, 07:13 PM   #111
Pete F.
Canceled

Quote:
Federal regulatory agencies are designed to run themselves. It is only when a problem arises, or a new mandate is given to them, that The President or the Congress involve themselves.

That bureaucracy was ill equipped and ill prepared before Trump arrived. that was not known by the new administration until the coronavirus hit. It was his administration that had to work through that mess in order to finally provide what the Federal government was able to do. The pandemic response protocols in place, dormant and unattended to with some critical items not having been restocked before the pandemic hit had to be reworked by the current administration and made operational. It took a bit of time, but once it worked through the flustercluck it got rolling pretty well and is doing a pretty good job now.
Obviously all government works like magic and administrations don’t matter.
Now I understand how you think that Trump* is competent.
Government is capable of fumbling along all by itself, good governance requires leadership
None is apparent here
They had three years, that’s almost a whole term.
Bush and Obama had plans to deal with this, this fool threw them in the trash.
The Stable Genius was so worried about maybe losing a billion to immigrants that he declared his fence an emergency.
His inaction here has cost Trillions
Keep believing

Lets Go Darwin
Old 04-06-2020, 09:13 PM   #112
spence

Obviously things would be a lot easier if everyone wasn’t out to get him, doctors are wrong about prescribing drugs, nurses are selling PPE out the back door, inspector generals are all part of the deep state, governors are lying about their needs the snakes, the democratic plot to destroy the economy to help Biden and don’t get me started about these expectations that the Federal Government is supposed to lead in a crisis.
Old 04-06-2020, 09:55 PM   #113
Pete F.
Canceled

You have a man with absolutely no managerial ability, who never had to answer to a Board of Directors, with no understanding of governmental functioning, insisting he must run the show. The ultimate incompetent bully.
You’re up MRI1
Spout your 💩
Old 04-06-2020, 11:14 PM   #114
detbuch

Quote:
Obviously all government works like magic and administrations don’t matter.
Now I understand how you think that Trump* is competent.
Government is capable of fumbling along all by itself, good governance requires leadership

Sarcastic hyperbole can be a useful rhetorical trick to persuade without actual argument. It also can be a sign that you have no argument.

Federal executive agencies, like HHS and CDC, as well as all the other federal regulatory agencies, are meant to operate quasi independently and have what we would consider the trifecta of American government--legislative, executive, and judicial powers within the scope of their mandate.

Although the Congress has oversight responsibility to assure that these agencies are properly doing their job, and the President has the executive authority to direct them if so needed or so desired, the truth is that there are too many federal agencies for Congress to be able to truly have its finger on the operation of each of them, and the modern day President is daily burdened with so much other stuff that he can't possibly be aware of the problems even of the lesser number of executive agencies. So it is the responsibility of the executive agencies to report any problems it has to the President, otherwise, Presidents are too busy to be constantly, or even occasionally, monitoring them.

BTW, it is that total power, the trifecta, that these agencies have that makes them unconstitutional to begin with. But that's another story which I'm sure you don't want to hear.

None is apparent here
They had three years, that’s almost a whole term.
Bush and Obama had plans to deal with this, this fool threw them in the trash.

Actually, if Trump was not informed (at the time he took office until the pandemic happened) by an agency that it was understocked or had some operational problem, it would be normal for him to assume all was OK.

For instance, take the case of N95 respiratory masks shortage that occurred back in 2009 when the national supply was diminished by the swine flue. The Obama administration was notified of the shortage. It had seven years to replenish the supply but didn't do so. Who knows why? Just an oversight? Or not really considered important enough? Or just some glitch? When Trump came on the scene, was he notified? I don't know. But it would have been the responsibility of the proper agency to do so. The pandemic eventually woke everyone up to the shortage, and the Trump administration ordered 500 million masks in March.

But, even so, it is not the sole responsibility of the Federal government and the President to supply masks. Hospitals, and local, and state, regulators are required to oversee that hospitals are properly equipped for daily operations as well as potential crises. The Bush administration established a Pandemic Influenza Preparedness Response, and Recovery Guide for Critical Infrastructure and Key Resources. In that guide it said of STATE, LOCAL, AND TRIBAL levels of gvt.:
"This level of government represents the nation’s front lines in the pandemic battle. They will face extreme challenges in maintaining normal operations in the face of widespread illness and increased demand on most government services. States are diligently updating their pandemic plans. As outlined in the Strategy, State, local, and tribal responsibilities include the following:

ensuring all reasonable measures are taken to limit the spread of an outbreak within and beyond the community’s borders;

establishing comprehensive and credible preparedness and response plans that are exercised on a regular basis;

•integrating non-health entities, including law enforcement, utilities, and city services in pandemic planning;

•identifying key spokespersons for the community, ensuring that they are educated in risk communications, and having coordinated crisis communications plans;

*establishing State and community-based stockpiles and distribution systems;

So why was, for instance, New York so woefully short on the ventilators that he complained Trump was not providing? Well, not many hospitals, state and local governments, were following the pandemic guidelines. Nor, apparently, was the previous administration. And Trump "inherited" that mess. And provided Cuomo the ventilators that he should have bought in readiness.

All that is not to point fingers, but to question why Trump is supposed to be this dangerous culprit that must be removed, as you claim.

The Stable Genius was so worried about maybe losing a billion to immigrants that he declared his fence an emergency.
His inaction here has cost Trillions
Keep believing
He acted. First he was accused of overreacting, then of not acting. He is accused of downplaying (even though he supposedly overreacted with the travel ban) while at the same time the media and the Dems as well as Fauci were downplaying. And his well respected expert Fauci has not expressed the same belief that you keep believing.

Last edited by detbuch; 04-06-2020 at 11:31 PM..
Old 04-07-2020, 04:13 AM   #115
Pete F.
Canceled

He didn’t know
Nobody told him
Everyone else did it
Good luck with that
Old 04-07-2020, 05:16 AM   #116
scottw

Quote:
Originally Posted by spence View Post

governors are lying about their needs the snakes, the democratic plot to destroy the economy to help Biden and don’t get me started about these expectations that the Federal Government is supposed to lead in a crisis.
even snakes won't help biden....
Old 04-07-2020, 07:00 AM   #117
Sea Dangles

Quote:
You have a man with absolutely no managerial ability, who never had to answer to a Board of Directors, with no understanding of governmental functioning, insisting he must run the show. The ultimate incompetent bully.
You’re up MRI1
Spout your 💩
Funny, Obama took office and had never, not once managed people. He was a community activist with zero real world experience. Tell me his real world experience before he held office.

Sorry Bitchslappedboy but the truth matters here.

America 1st

PRO CHOICE REPUBLICAN
Old 04-07-2020, 07:29 AM   #118
Pete F.
Canceled

Quote:
Funny, Obama took office and had never, not once managed people. He was a community activist with zero real world experience. Tell me his real world experience before he held office.

Sorry Bitchslappedboy but the truth matters here.

America 1st
Yes it does MRI1
400k+ flew from China before the US became the 39th country to impose travel restrictions. 40k+ came after. Since CV was already here and the fact that the US now leads in cases and is 3rd in deaths makes Trump’s claim of early decisive action meaningless.

Lets Go Darwin
Old 04-07-2020, 07:38 AM   #119
Sea Dangles

You can blame and point fingers.
You are great at it.
Lots of practice.

I see a light at the end of the tunnel and I am hopeful we can stop the spread.
#flattenthecurve
Old 04-07-2020, 08:06 AM   #120
wdmso

Quote:
You can blame and point fingers.
You are great at it.
Lots of practice.

I see a light at the end of the tunnel and I am hopeful we can stop the spread.
#flattenthecurve
You talking about Trump?..