Striper Talk Striped Bass Fishing, Surfcasting, Boating

Left Nav S-B Home Register FAQ Members List S-B on Facebook Arcade WEAX Tides Buoys Calendar Today's Posts Right Nav

Left Container Right Container

Go Back   Striper Talk Striped Bass Fishing, Surfcasting, Boating » Striper Chat - Discuss stuff other than fishing ~ The Scuppers and Political talk » Political Threads

Political Threads This section is for Political Threads - Enter at your own risk. If you say you don't want to see what someone posts - don't read it :hihi:

Old 11-01-2010, 12:06 PM   #1
RIROCKHOUND
Also known as OAK

Predictions

What are peoples thoughts for projections?

I think nation wide 7-8 senate seats, 45-50 house seats. Less of a 'sweep' than projected, but still significant.

then back to more of the same from both sides.

Thoughts?

Bryan

Originally Posted by #^&#^&#^&#^&#^&#^&#^&#^&#^&#^&#^&
"For once I agree with Spence. UGH. I just hope I don't get the urge to go start buying armani suits to wear in my shop"
Old 11-01-2010, 12:27 PM   #2
JohnnyD

I'm pretty close to inline with your projections.

Then I'll stop paying attention to national politics while we deal with a Lame Duck federal government for 2 full years.
Old 11-01-2010, 12:29 PM   #3
Nebe

Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnnyD View Post
I'm pretty close to inline with your projections.

Then I'll stop paying attention to national politics while we deal with a Lame Duck federal government for 2 full years.
I've already stopped paying attention. Our government is broken and is so corrupt, nothing is going to fix it.
Posted from my iPhone/Mobile device
Old 11-01-2010, 12:34 PM   #4
RIJIMMY
sick of bluefish

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nebe View Post
I've already stopped paying attention. Our government is broken and is so corrupt, nothing is going to fix it.
not to derail, but whats corrupt about our govt?
I think its a lot of things, but not corrupt. just curious.

as far as predictions, i dont really have any.
I hope Sean Bielat wins and I hope Prop 19 passes in CA. Those are my election dreams.

making s-b.com a kinder, gentler place for all
Old 11-01-2010, 12:54 PM   #5
JohnR
Certifiable Intertidal Anguiologist

Quote:
Originally Posted by RIJIMMY View Post
not to derail, but whats corrupt about our govt?
I think its a lot of things, but not corrupt. just curious.

as far as predictions, i dont really have any.
I hope Sean Bielat wins and I hope Prop 19 passes in CA. Those are my election dreams.

I hope Bielat wins, and Chafee doesn't

Not a fan of legalizing pot and probably would not partake if it did (nationally) but the impact on smuggling and tax potential has its merits.

I think the swing will be significant but in the range that Rock states, maybe a tick higher.

~Fix the Bait~ ~Pogies Forever~

Striped Bass Fishing - All Stripers

Kobayashi Maru Election - there is no way to win.

Apocalypse is Coming:
Old 11-01-2010, 12:57 PM   #6
Nebe

Raven. It's so corrupt, it looks normal
Old 11-01-2010, 01:01 PM   #7
fishbones

Quote:
Raven. It's so corrupt, it looks normal
Did you just refer to RIJIMMY as Raven? Maybe it's the new avatar?

Conservatism is not about leaving people behind. Conservatism is about empowering people to catch up, to give them tools at their disposal that make it possible for them to access all the hope, all the promise, all the opportunity that America offers. - Marco Rubio
Old 11-01-2010, 01:02 PM   #8
RIJIMMY
sick of bluefish

[QUOTE=JohnR;806965]Not a fan of legalizing pot and probably would not partake if it did (nationally) but the impact on smuggling and tax potential has its merits.

QUOTE]

you may have a different opinion if your in-laws all lived in CA and you had to visit them for weeks at a time. If it passes, I plan on spending my visits in a haze, eating, smiling and nodding..............

Old 11-01-2010, 01:32 PM   #9
Nebe

Quote:
Originally Posted by fishbones View Post
Did you just refer to RIJIMMY as Raven? Maybe it's the new avatar?
Woops. I did.

Corperations own our government. They donate millions of money to elect politicians and in turn the politicians owe their donors favors.

The outsourcing of jobs away from this country is what I believe to be our greatest threat to the strength of this country, yet our government is encouraging it. Why? Profits.
Old 11-01-2010, 01:44 PM   #10
RIJIMMY
sick of bluefish

Quote:
Woops. I did.

Corperations own our government. They donate millions of money to elect politicians and in turn the politicians owe their donors favors.

The outsourcing of jobs away from this country is what I believe to be our greatest threat to the strength of this country, yet our government is encouraging it. Why? Profits.
Truthfully, I dont know if corporations donate millions to politicans. I thought there were all kinds of campaign contribution limits and reporting laws around that.
As far as outsourcing, yes, its profits. Corporations are private entitites and should maximize profits. The question to me is why is it cheaper to outsource? I would say high taxes, red tape and cheap labor. What can the govt or corporations due to eliminate that? I think this is a result of global competition.

Old 11-01-2010, 03:48 PM   #11
BigFish
BigFish Bait Co.

Send a message via AIM to BigFish
I hope they all lose!

Almost time to get our fish on!!!
Old 11-01-2010, 09:32 PM   #12
justplugit
Registered Grandpa

I go with the old adage, don't count your chickens until they're hatched.

" Choose Life "
Old 11-02-2010, 05:19 AM   #13
Raven

My thoughts are that a two Party system thats always battling one another leaves our country divided instead of United to the point very little ever gets accomplished and that my friends is a SAD joke.
Old 11-02-2010, 06:19 AM   #14
buckman

Quote:
Originally Posted by Raven View Post
My thoughts are that a two Party system thats always battling one another leaves our country divided instead of United to the point very little ever gets accomplished and that my friends is a SAD joke.
The less they do the better. When they accomplish something it cost us money or freedom.
Old 11-02-2010, 06:46 AM   #15
JohnR

Quote:
Originally Posted by Raven View Post

And right now that's not necessarily a bad thing. As much as it pains me not have a long range plan for / goals for our country, I don't trust the hard right to do what's best and I REALLY don't trust the hard left to do what's best. The worst thing we can have right now is one party controlling executive and legislative. There needs to be a filter or we go too far right or too far left. We're a center country.

Apocalypse is Coming:
Old 11-02-2010, 07:26 AM   #16
scottw

Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnR View Post
And right now that's not necessarily a bad thing. As much as it pains me not have a long range plan for / goals for our country, I don't trust the hard right to do what's best and I REALLY don't trust the hard left to do what's best. The worst thing we can have right now is one party controlling executive and legislative. There needs to be a filter or we go too far right or too far left. We're a center country.
now it's "hard right" and "hard left" ?

far, hard, radical, extreme.....whacko.........everyone thinks they're standing in the center
Old 11-02-2010, 07:48 AM   #17
JohnR

Quote:
Originally Posted by scottw View Post
now it's "hard right" and "hard left" ?

far, hard, radical, extreme.....whacko.........everyone thinks they're standing in the center

Well, at least I can see the center

Apocalypse is Coming:
Old 11-02-2010, 07:50 AM   #18
stcroixman

Pot should be legal, it would create revenues. Certainly problems would have to be addressed like with alcohol.

Glad the elections are here. SO many commercials, it is disgusting.

The bickering will intensify with the Republicans taking the house, oh boy more gridlock. Isn't that just hwat our economy needs?
Old 11-02-2010, 08:13 AM   #19
scottw

Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnR View Post
Well, at least I can see the center
would you be kind enough to describe what you see...I picture a lot of people that can't decided between 1% and 2% milk
Old 11-02-2010, 08:19 AM   #20
Raven

Thumbs down thinking about the VOTE

with so many letters (and e-mails) not being able to be answered
except by an auto reply

and it takes a million man march "practically" to get their undivided attention

plus with the Invention of the internet ...it seems like voting
just once is a self defeating
waste of money considering how much money is spent by politicians to
run for office and the cost of 1/2 hour (attack) tv ads....

seems like only Billionaires can afford to run now for top offices....

that we should make some changes to the political system that changes
the Poll taking over to -> continuous voting on EVERY issue

a case in point ....when a certain NUMBER of Billions of our tax dollars
that are/ will be sent over to Pakistan for example....
we should be able to VOTE yes or NO .....on whether we should or should NOT

instead of the Government having such free control as a Blank check all the Time....
with OUR (the people's) money
Old 11-02-2010, 08:26 AM   #21
Raven

for example

140 million Dollars being spent by Meg Whitman to be elected govenor

just imagine all the good that money could do for california instead of being wasted
on a political battle with Jerry Brown the clown

the system is obviously Broken...
Old 11-02-2010, 01:40 PM   #22
Jim in CT

My prediction...55 to 65 house seats, 8-10 senate seats. That is a colossal sea-change.

John R, I think, mentioned we are a centrist country. I'll disagree slightly, I believe we are center-right. Gallup did a big nationwide poll this year, asking people to identify their leanings. 42% said conservative, 35% said moderate, 20% said liberal. That's center-right.

I would normally say a balance of power between the 2 parties is best, not anymore. The democratic agenda, at the federal level, just doesn't pass the common sense test. To be a liberal is to really believe that the best way out of a recession is to tax-and-spend your way out.

Common sense suggests that cannot be true. And if you have no common sense, there is plenty of empirical evidence to suggest it isn't true, just look at what's happening in Greece, Ireland, France, Great Britain, Germany, Spain, Portugal.

On national security issues, the liberal agenda is even more bizarre. Bin Laden makes a video claiming that Islam is at war with the west, amd liberals deny eny connection between Islam and terrorism. Securing our borders? Suggest that, and liberals will call you anti-Mexican.

Social issues? Liberals want laws that allow for partial-birth abortion, killing babies that are minutes away from birth? It's infanticide...those babies are induced into labor, the baby's body is stopped as it comes down the birth canal, and its brain is crushed, or it's drowned in saltwater. That's barbarcs on a Hitler-ian scale.

I used to think liberals meant well, but were misguided. I was wrong. It's a full-blown mental disorder. The liberal agenda requires a deliberate, willful ignorance of objective fact, and a suspension of all common sense and decency.

Obviously, there is such a thing as "too far right". But all of the evidence suggests that limited federal gov't, low taxes, individual liberty, pro-business environment is what leads to prosperity. A nanny state is destined to fail.
Old 11-02-2010, 01:55 PM   #23
Bronko

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim in CT View Post
My prediction...55 to 65 house seats, 8-10 senate seats. That is a colossal sea-change.

John R, I think, mentioned we are a centrist country. I'll disagree slightly, I believe we are center-right. Gallup did a big nationwide poll this year, asking people to identify their leanings. 42% said conservative, 35% said moderate, 20% said liberal. That's center-right.

I would normally say a balance of power between the 2 parties is best, not anymore. The democratic agenda, at the federal level, just doesn't pass the common sense test. To be a liberal is to really believe that the best way out of a recession is to tax-and-spend your way out.

Common sense suggests that cannot be true. And if you have no common sense, there is plenty of empirical evidence to suggest it isn't true, just look at what's happening in Greece, Ireland, France, Great Britain, Germany, Spain, Portugal.

On national security issues, the liberal agenda is even more bizarre. Bin Laden makes a video claiming that Islam is at war with the west, amd liberals deny eny connection between Islam and terrorism. Securing our borders? Suggest that, and liberals will call you anti-Mexican.

Social issues? Liberals want laws that allow for partial-birth abortion, killing babies that are minutes away from birth? It's infanticide...those babies are induced into labor, the baby's body is stopped as it comes down the birth canal, and its brain is crushed, or it's drowned in saltwater. That's barbarcs on a Hitler-ian scale.

I used to think liberals meant well, but were misguided. I was wrong. It's a full-blown mental disorder. The liberal agenda requires a deliberate, willful ignorance of objective fact, and a suspension of all common sense and decency.

Obviously, there is such a thing as "too far right". But all of the evidence suggests that limited federal gov't, low taxes, individual liberty, pro-business environment is what leads to prosperity. A nanny state is destined to fail.
Jim In Ct for ANY political office in the land.

The charm of fishing is that it is the pursuit of what is elusive but attainable, a perpetual series of occasions for hope. ~John Buchan
Old 11-02-2010, 01:57 PM   #24
Swimmer
Retired Surfer

I think the sweep is going to be huge. There were five times as many people in East Brdigewater votingthis morning as were when Scott Brown's historic day. Looking around I could see, feel, and hear the consensus of change about to happen. These people were so eager to get into the booth its was incredible.

Swimmer a.k.a. YO YO MA
Serial Mailbox Killer/Seal Fisherman
Old 11-02-2010, 02:13 PM   #25
Jim in CT

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bronko View Post
Jim In Ct for ANY political office in the land.
I promised my wife I'd wait until my kids don't need so much of my time, but I will run for office. Unfortunately, down here in the People's Republic Of Connecticut, conservatism doesn't seem too popular.

We're a very liberal state. Therefore, our financial situation highlights the inevitable result of the liberal agenda...high taxes COMBINED with massive deficits. And the response of my fellow nutmeggers will be to elect more tax-and-spend democrats, because as we all know, the best way to get out of a hole is to keep digging, right??
Old 11-02-2010, 02:22 PM   #26
RIJIMMY
sick of bluefish

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim in CT View Post
I promised my wife I'd wait until my kids don't need so much of my time, but I will run for office. Unfortunately, down here in the People's Republic Of Connecticut, conservatism doesn't seem too popular.

We're a very liberal state. Therefore, our financial situation highlights the inevitable result of the liberal agenda...high taxes COMBINED with massive deficits. And the response of my fellow nutmeggers will be to elect more tax-and-spend democrats, because as we all know, the best way to get out of a hole is to keep digging, right??
Im with Bronko, you have my vote.

Old 11-02-2010, 03:31 PM   #27
JohnR

Same here.

Apocalypse is Coming: