Striper Talk Striped Bass Fishing, Surfcasting, Boating

Left Nav S-B Home Register FAQ Members List S-B on Facebook Arcade WEAX Tides Buoys Calendar Today's Posts Right Nav

Left Container Right Container

Go Back   Striper Talk Striped Bass Fishing, Surfcasting, Boating » Build Stuff: Custom Plug & Lure Building, Rod Building » Plug Building - Got Wood?

Plug Building - Got Wood? Got Plug?

Old 11-15-2015, 07:54 PM   #1
rayndogg

Pick some brains????

Hey Guys,
I have a small maybe dumb problem that I never thought about before. I recently made a few bottle poppers kinda the shape of a Tactical Angle profile 2.5oz or so great popping action, but I was told by one of the guy that received one, that the casting is off!!!
they don't helicopter the go out straight but flutter. no I build and test how they sit in the water and the action, but never put any though on the cast.... they get distance, but was told if they didn't flutter and went more steady that it would possible achieve a little more distance. is this a issue with weighting, wood, hooks, or is what it is?

Thanks Rene
rayndogg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2015, 08:12 PM   #2
nightfighter
Seldom Seen

Got tail weight? try a longer slug.....
nightfighter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2015, 08:16 PM   #3
Linesider82

I've used needles that act the same. Sometimes a GD rocket ship, sometimes not. I had mostly chocked it up to my own cast. But then picked up another plug that "casts well" and well it casts far. But at the same time if you look at those casts under a microscope they too will show fault in the cast. Point being casting error, changing a plug, changes action. How far are the fish?
Posted from my iPhone/Mobile device
Linesider82 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2015, 08:23 PM   #4
Linesider82

Now I fish the plug within its design, and never hope to fish it at the end of the "best cast". Why? Because that plug (your plug) might have a little asswiggle that makes the difference. A little more junk in the trunck and you might change a good thing.
Linesider82 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2015, 08:26 PM   #5
nightfighter
Seldom Seen

Changing rod can make a difference, as well as how the plug loads the rod on a particular cast
nightfighter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2015, 06:45 PM   #6
stripermaineiac

Bob Pond told me that the only thing that doesn't wobble a bit on a cast is a lead sinker or a diamond jig. But as soon as you add hooks,bait hair ,wind and our casting ability to things wobble increases. The P-40 cast like a kite but it sure catches a lot of big fish. From this my take was -what a plug does in the water is much more important than what it does in the air. Sometimes too good in the air then poor in the water. don't put so much weight into a plug that it kills how it works in the water. The action you have may be the jewel your looking for. Let the fish decide.
stripermaineiac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2015, 07:55 PM   #7
rayndogg

thank for the feedback guys, I not gonna sweat it. like I said I test for action and catch not cast I mean don't get me wrong distance is great, I asked the gent that receive the lure for feedback, and that's what I got. I just talked to another gent tonight that has several of my lures and loves everyone and told me they cast like a rocket, and most of all have caught him lots of fish. SO THERE IT IS!
rayndogg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2015, 08:29 AM   #8
tysdad115

Well for an unbiased opinion feel free to send me a few of your lures , I'll certainly put them to use !!
Plug ho
tysdad115 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2015, 05:12 PM   #9
chefchris401
Chris Blouin

Quote:
Originally Posted by tysdad115 View Post
Well for an unbiased opinion feel free to send me a few of your lures , I'll certainly put them to use !!
Plug ho

Nice profile pic!

STORMR Pro Staff Member
chefchris401 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2015, 05:47 PM   #10
tysdad115

Quote:
Originally Posted by chefchris401 View Post
Nice profile pic!
Thanks Chris !

Does your incessant whining make you feel better? How about you just shut the hell up and suck it up? It's a fishing forum , so please just stop.
tysdad115 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2015, 05:16 PM   #11
bigdaug

I think it's all to chance on which way the tail hook lays in flight. I have some long distance builds that fly like rockets with no hooks but put them back on and it's a crap shoot. It makes a difference.
bigdaug is offline   Reply With Quote