Striper Talk Striped Bass Fishing, Surfcasting, Boating

Left Nav S-B Home Register FAQ Members List S-B on Facebook Arcade WEAX Tides Buoys Calendar Today's Posts Right Nav

Left Container Right Container

Go Back   Striper Talk Striped Bass Fishing, Surfcasting, Boating » Main Forum » TUNA & Big Game

TUNA & Big Game TUNA - Offshore Fishing for Tuna and Other Big Game

Old 05-25-2011, 01:34 PM   #1
MakoMike

How to care for sashimi grade tuna

One of the best guides I have ever found. http://www.spc.int/DigitalLibrary/Do...05_Sashimi.pdf

****MakoMike****

Http://www.Makomania.net

Official S-B Sponsor
MakoMike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2011, 08:30 PM   #2
Raider Ronnie

Send a message via AIM to Raider Ronnie
Good stuff there.
This past winter we had a tuna buyer as guest speaker at a stellwagen bank charter boat ass meeting and he gave a talk about handling,killing,prepping for market.
A Very important 1st step left out of that is properly swimming the fish before killing it.
VERY important with bigger fish !

LETS GO BRANDON
Raider Ronnie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2011, 07:29 AM   #3
Slick Moedee

NC Sea grant

I know NC Seagrant has held workshops just to go over this sort of material as well as what to expect when getting back to the dock and engaging with the dealers. I am supprised MA hasn't done something similar.
Slick Moedee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2011, 06:28 AM   #4
saltyric

One thing that I have been doing is taking the tuna loins and wrapping them in a clean paper towel and then putting them in a ziplock and placing in fridge over night.....and then changing the paper towel the next day. Seems to draw out any residual blood and leaves you with a nice clean piece of meat. Ofcourse this is for fish i plan to keep and eat, not market fish. For market fish, I agree swimming the fish is key. Just my 2 cents

Fish Rule!
saltyric is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2011, 03:40 PM   #5
Mr. Sandman

I wish I had a real slush tank but I would need a bigger boat . The best I can do is ice them in the fishbox or fishbag them. I could flood the fishbox but that is a lot of weight and you need an on board icemaker to keep up.

That swimming technique is to cool him down and have the acids come out of the muscles. I went to that seminar, lots of good info...He said you should swim them for an hour or more, this is not always practical. I normally bring them in, bleed them out and ice them . (but they are talking huge fish) One problem when you bleed them as they are going near empty...they kick like mad and beat the #^&#^&#^&#^& out of themselves...that technique of sliding the mono or cable up their spinal cord seems to help but it is a bit of a pain. I did it a couple times but usually I just bleed them.
This year I am going to try to take better care of the fish.
Mr. Sandman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2011, 10:59 AM   #6
Typhoon

Quote:
Originally Posted by Raider Ronnie View Post
Good stuff there.
This past winter we had a tuna buyer as guest speaker at a stellwagen bank charter boat ass meeting and he gave a talk about handling,killing,prepping for market.
A Very important 1st step left out of that is properly swimming the fish before killing it.
VERY important with bigger fish !
What did he say was the best method for doing this.

-Andrew
Typhoon is offline   Reply With Quote