Striper Talk Striped Bass Fishing, Surfcasting, Boating

Left Nav S-B Home Register FAQ Members List S-B on Facebook Arcade WEAX Tides Buoys Calendar Today's Posts Right Nav

Left Container Right Container

Go Back   Striper Talk Striped Bass Fishing, Surfcasting, Boating » Striper Chat - Discuss stuff other than fishing ~ The Scuppers and Political talk » Political Threads

Political Threads This section is for Political Threads - Enter at your own risk. If you say you don't want to see what someone posts - don't read it :hihi:

Old 01-20-2009, 09:25 AM   #1
BigFish
BigFish Bait Co.

Send a message via AIM to BigFish
Finally....."All Men Are Created Equal".

When I was in elementary school, I was about 8-9 years old and it was about 1972, our class read a book about Martin Luther King. At the time I thought to myself "what a strange thing for the black man to have to go through in the era of the civil rights movement and of course what a shame that MLK died the way that he did". Much of it, at the time, I did not understand but I certainly found it curious the thought of people being forced at one time to use different bathrooms, hotels, restaurants, etc. than white people? It was just unfathomable to an 8 year old boy that these things really happened and that the black people were treated in such a way? It was never an issue in my young life time though busing was going on in South Boston an 8 year old knew nothing of this.....at least in my small corner of the world. I never thought in my lifetime I would see an African American hold the nations highest office? Even a few short years ago it seemed something that was decades from reality. I can say today I am happy to see Mr. Obama taking the oath of office and I am pleased to see finally, that the words from the Constitution ring true and finally "all men are created equal". There is much to celebrate for the African American community today that the dream of Martin Luther King has finally come true today. As a person, not a white person or a black person......but as just a person I have hope that perhaps President Obama can make a change for the better. He seems to be a good man with a fine family and I wish them well.

Almost time to get our fish on!!!
Old 01-20-2009, 10:07 AM   #2
Nebe

here here!!
Old 01-20-2009, 12:20 PM   #3
JohnnyD

well spoken. Cheers BF
Old 01-20-2009, 12:28 PM   #4
BigFish
BigFish Bait Co.

Send a message via AIM to BigFish
Did you feel the country stand still......did you see the unity in the crowds pictured on television.....I did. A great moment in this countries history for sure!

Almost time to get our fish on!!!
Old 01-20-2009, 01:28 PM   #5
Clammer

Larry;

well said ;;

I did see what you touched on / but I also saw/ & see the hatred many in the true south have for the Blacks / only surpress by the hated of the Yankess up North ;;

Southern hospitality is B/S in the real south / except were its forced / into to make money /./.

I hope President O & his speech actually can make a change & make this country ONE ......... ITS BEEN a very long time since it has ;;

IMO MIKE

ENJOY WHAT YOU HAVE !!!

MIKE
Old 01-20-2009, 01:30 PM   #6
Nebe

great speach by Barrry O..
Old 01-20-2009, 01:59 PM   #7
Mr. Sandman

I agree, so lets end affirmative action right now.
Old 01-20-2009, 02:20 PM   #8
PaulS

Quote:
Originally Posted by Clammer View Post
Southern hospitality is B/S in the real south / except were its forced / into to make money /./.
I totally agree with you and have always said that. I had a friend who worked in GA for a few years and he would always tell me how the southerns were all nice to him and the other northerns who were down there for 1-2 assignments but would never ask them out for happy hour, dinner, etc. The notherns always use to go out themselves (and actually didn't mind).
Old 01-20-2009, 04:02 PM   #9
JohnnyD

Who wants to hang out with a Southerner anyway?
Old 01-20-2009, 04:33 PM   #10
EarnedStripes44

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr. Sandman View Post
so lets end affirmative action right now.
...and few remaining people of non-asian origin at MIT.

Old 01-20-2009, 04:43 PM   #11
Redsoxticket

1972, the year of the black panther riots.

I guess you can call it the year of urban development where blocks of homes being burnt down to make way in the following years for projects.
I was young and nieve this one day and I was riding my bike to check out the riots. This black man told me that I should not ride my bike there. I thanked that man. What is ironic is that when I took a side street to get away from that area this caucassian comes up to me and punched me in the chest. I guess a punch to the chest is better then a shot to the head. Thank god Obama won
Old 01-20-2009, 04:51 PM   #12
Clammer

my sis ter lived in Newport News for 25 years & I went there enought times to see / the true south/

when she out devoiced & it was time to deal with her oil contract .. the oilman said to here ...since you have been here so long we,ll give you:: the southern:: price ;;

At least the prices up here are the same prices to anyone who walks thru the door ;

MY son lived in Alantia . for 6 years >> which is such a melting pot /its not even near 100% true south any longer . & he told me staright out don,t get lost or broken down too afr outside the city / if you do / he would be better off to hide than let them hear his RI accent // & this kid is no judgemental .. just saying like it is ;;

I,ve often heard it said R Islanders are cold ... maybe in the winter // but as anywhere / a few / but no where want they make it out to be ;;

ENJOY WHAT YOU HAVE !!!

MIKE
Old 01-20-2009, 05:01 PM   #13
EarnedStripes44

Quote:
Originally Posted by Clammer View Post
MY son lived in Alantia . for 6 years >> which is such a melting pot
I went to school in Atlanta. Its like the San Francisco of Dixie
Old 01-20-2009, 05:06 PM   #14
fishbones

Quote:
Originally Posted by EarnedStripes44 View Post
I went to school in Atlanta. Its like the San Francisco of Dixie
Did you ever take the MARTA rail? It's just like the T except young people give up their seats for older people and women. Oh, and people will actually make room for you when you're trying to move down the aisle with a suitcase. It took me a while to realize that manners and public transportation could co-exist.

Conservatism is not about leaving people behind. Conservatism is about empowering people to catch up, to give them tools at their disposal that make it possible for them to access all the hope, all the promise, all the opportunity that America offers. - Marco Rubio
Old 01-20-2009, 05:33 PM   #15
EarnedStripes44

yeah. I remember my days on the Marta and I remember the hospitality.

The funny thing about it, during my 5-yr tenure in college (i failed spanish, twice) I got used to being able to conversate with and/or greet strangers. Unfortunately, that hospitality does warrant much of anything on the Green Line these days.

I see kids I went to high school with and they will just walk by, eye contact and all. For example, I bought some earrings for my old lady a month ago. The cashier was a girl I had history with, we even did a presentation together. I got the look of familiarity from her but she totally did not say anything until I said, "Didnt we go to high school together". All of a sudden it comes back to her and she opens up. She looked hella good back then, but not so much now (Not that I am a regular Richard Gere or nothing). People in the south hold that type of familiarity dear.