Striper Talk Striped Bass Fishing, Surfcasting, Boating

Left Nav S-B Home Register FAQ Members List S-B on Facebook Arcade WEAX Tides Buoys Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Right Nav

Left Container Right Container

Go Back   Striper Talk Striped Bass Fishing, Surfcasting, Boating » Main Forum » Kayaking

Kayaking After the frequent attempts at Bribery, beatings, and simply getting towed at Sunrise - S-B opens the Kayak Forums Also see http://www.ultimatekayakfishing.com

Old 04-12-2009, 03:51 PM   #1
mayday1019

Ocean Kayak?

Hey All- I hope everyone has had a great winter. I am thinking about starting to fish from a kayak. I have been looking at different kayaks online and was just wondering what makes a kayak suitable for ocean use versus usage on a pond or stream?

Thanks Guys!
mayday1019 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2009, 05:48 PM   #2
JohnnyD

I'm also starting to look for a Kayak that I can launch off the beach. Based off the conversations I've had, a Sit-on-top is the way to go for easiest fishing ability.

I'm looking at something like this:
http://www.oceankayak.com/kayaks/ang..._big_game.html
JohnnyD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2009, 06:22 PM   #3
leo33

Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnnyD View Post
I'm also starting to look for a Kayak that I can launch off the beach. Based off the conversations I've had, a Sit-on-top is the way to go for easiest fishing ability.

you may be interested in this:http://www.billingtonseakayak.com/clearancesales.html
leo33 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2009, 07:05 PM   #4
JohnnyD

Quote:
Originally Posted by leo33 View Post
Thanks!!
Old 04-13-2009, 11:42 AM   #5
BigBo

Quote:

Johnny, if you're looking at OK SOT's, take a look at the Prowler tridents. Very stable. Much faster than the Big Game. They now make them in 11', 13', and 15'
I have the 15' Trident Angler with rudder that replaced my Liquid Logic Manta Ray 12' (anther nice boat now sold under the Native Manta Ray name).
You'll be surprised to find out how stable a narrower kayak can be vs. getting one of the widest (OK Big Game) available. That Big Game can get cumbersome and pretty darn slow.
Say the word and I'll let you test ride my Trident if you'd like.

The future ain't what it used to be. --Yogi Berra
BigBo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2009, 12:02 PM   #6
JohnnyD

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigBo View Post
Johnny, if you're looking at OK SOT's, take a look at the Prowler tridents. Very stable. Much faster than the Big Game. They now make them in 11', 13', and 15'
I have the 15' Trident Angler with rudder that replaced my Liquid Logic Manta Ray 12' (anther nice boat now sold under the Native Manta Ray name).
You'll be surprised to find out how stable a narrower kayak can be vs. getting one of the widest (OK Big Game) available. That Big Game can get cumbersome and pretty darn slow.
Say the word and I'll let you test ride my Trident if you'd like.
Sincerest appreciation. I might take you up on that offer.

One of my issues is that 1)I'm a smaller guy and 2)a lot of my transportation would be on my car (getting the yak from Mansfield down to Truro or for freshwater trips). Because of the above 2 reasons, I was looking for an 11'-12' yak. I'd love something a little bigger with a bit more stability, but I don't think it's an option.
Old 04-13-2009, 12:37 PM   #7
BigBo

Then for those reasons, I think the Big Game is too much boat for you. I think you should consider the Trident 13' or a standard Prowler 13' is a very nice option. A Heritage Redfish is worth a look too. Plenty of other options too.

Old 04-13-2009, 12:48 PM   #8
JohnnyD

Quote:
Then for those reasons, I think the Big Game is too much boat for you. I think you should consider the Trident 13' or a standard Prowler 13' is a very nice option. A Heritage Redfish is worth a look too. Plenty of other options too.
Thanks for the advice. I'll take a look into those. The Big Game was just one that I was looking at. I have a friend who owns a Prowler and loves it; I think it is 13'.
Old 04-14-2009, 06:05 AM   #9
BigBo

I just received a flyer for West Marine. They are advertising the Ocean Kayak Scrambler XT Angler Edition for $499
12' Long / 29" wide and 350lb capacity. Should be a decent all around fishing platform.

Old 04-14-2009, 10:29 AM   #10
JohnnyD

Quote:
I just received a flyer for West Marine. They are advertising the Ocean Kayak Scrambler XT Angler Edition for $499
12' Long / 29" wide and 350lb capacity. Should be a decent all around fishing platform.
Thanks for the heads up.

I *really* like the Trident 13. I just need to be sure it will be practical given my circumstances.
Old 04-14-2009, 10:51 AM   #11
JFigliuolo

I carried a redfish 14 on a honda CRX... NOT a CRV. It was fine. Don't let your car limit your Kayak choice.

Good judgement comes from experience, and experience comes from bad judgement -- Keith Benning
JFigliuolo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2009, 11:16 AM   #12
JohnnyD

Quote:
Originally Posted by JFigliuolo View Post
I carried a redfish 14 on a honda CRX... NOT a CRV. It was fine. Don't let your car limit your Kayak choice.
Interesting. How did you secure it? I don't have any experience with kayaks and cars. Whenever I kayak now, it's always with someone who has a pickup.
Old 04-14-2009, 11:41 AM   #13
wheresmy50

Keep in mind that there's a stong relationship between the length of the yak and your ability to paddle fast and for a long time. You'll need more effort to paddle a 12' yak than a 14 footer, assuming everything else is equal.

I'm not sure there are too many differences between a lake kayak and an ocean kayak unless you're planning on doing surf launches, but you definitely want to take how far you want to paddle into consideration. I like a big tank well for coolers, anchors, drift socks, water, etc, etc, etc, but to each his own here. It's possible to get to the front hatch on the water, but not too easy, so figure the rear tank well will have to hold everything you need access to.

Ocean Kayak, Wilderness Systems, and Hobie are probably the most commonly used SOTs in the ocean - around me anyway.

I haven't visited the site in a long time, but kayakfishingstuff.com used to have a lot of good reviews and information on their forums.

If possible, call some local kayak shops and see if any of them are having "demo days" coming up so you can actually try one before you buy it.

Article 1, Section 9:
No bill of attainder or ex post facto Law shall be passed.
wheresmy50 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2009, 12:34 PM   #14
JohnnyD

The OCean Kayak site has a pretty informative "What to look for when buying a kayak" section. Covers many issues that I hadn't considered.

Thanks for the input Wheresmy50. On of the reasons I really like the Trident is the large well positioned between your legs. Looks like it will also make a good surface for setting up rigs, retying or unhooking a fish. I really dig the fully covered, shielded cubby for the electronics.

This is the way I'm looking to go:
http://www.oceankayak.com/kayaks/ang...13_angler.html
Old 04-14-2009, 02:47 PM   #15
Rockport24
President - S-B Chapter - Kelly Clarkson Fan Club

The trident 13 or 15 is definitely the way to go. I have a regular prowler 15 and love it and I've seen the tridents and they are just suped up versions that are better outfitted, so go for it!

The biggest difference in length is the manuevability and tracking of the yak. I got mine without a rudder to try and save money, but after a season of paddling it without one, I wish I just got one because in any kind of wind, it's hard to keep on a straight course. the trident 13 has a rudder already, so you will be super manueverable and easy to stay on track.

The longer yaks handle chop and waves a bit better too. I've paddled through 4-5 foot swells and decent chop although I was worried at times, the yak didn't hesitate at all and just went right through it.

All this said, if you got the funds, seriously consider the hobie peddle drive yaks. They are a lot faster and keep your hands free for fishing!
Rockport24 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2009, 09:01 AM   #16
JFigliuolo

Quote:
Interesting. How did you secure it? I don't have any experience with kayaks and cars. Whenever I kayak now, it's always with someone who has a pickup.
Pool noodles on roof , 2 straps over Yak, 2 front lines, 1 stern.

I regularly do 75 on the highway w/it. Actually, now I pedal a Hobie, but it's damn close to 14' also.

Good judgement comes from experience, and experience comes from bad judgement -- Keith Benning
Old 04-15-2009, 09:12 AM   #17
JFigliuolo

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rockport24 View Post
SNIPPED!

All this said, if you got the funds, seriously consider the hobie peddle drive yaks. They are a lot faster and keep your hands free for fishing!
Not to turn this into a Hobie thread... but they definitely have their advantages. NOT the end all and be all of Kayak's but if you like the idea of hands free operation, they are EXCELLENT.

Old 04-15-2009, 12:26 PM   #18
JohnnyD

Quote:
Not to turn this into a Hobie thread... but they definitely have their advantages. NOT the end all and be all of Kayak's but if you like the idea of hands free operation, they are EXCELLENT.
A Hobie is too expensive, even if I wanted it.
Old 04-15-2009, 01:09 PM   #19
JFigliuolo

Quote:
A Hobie is too expensive, even if I wanted it.
Yeah, they aren't cheap by any means. If you get lucky you can find used for under a G, but they are tough to come by.

Other SOT's are more popular and can more easily be found used. If your not in a hurry that can be a really good way to save some $$$.

If money is tight, don't waste it on a rack for your vehicle. It is unnecessary for a single Yak. Use pool noodles and straps, very secure and under $30. Yeah, sure it's ghetto, but it works.

Old 04-15-2009, 01:38 PM   #20
JohnnyD

Quote:
Yeah, they aren't cheap by any means. If you get lucky you can find used for under a G, but they are tough to come by.

Other SOT's are more popular and can more easily be found used. If your not in a hurry that can be a really good way to save some $$$.

If money is tight, don't waste it on a rack for your vehicle. It is unnecessary for a single Yak. Use pool noodles and straps, very secure and under $30. Yeah, sure it's ghetto, but it works.
Time is definitely not of the essence. I'd like to find a nice, used Trident 13'. Keeping my eyes open on craigslist.

Thanks for the noodle suggestion. I'm certainly no opposed to the ghetto option. $30 is much better than $100 - and I have to straps, so it's probably more like $7 for noodles.
Old 04-16-2009, 07:39 AM   #21
wheresmy50

I just bought a used 14' Mirrorcraft deep V with new trolling motor, new fish finder, good trailer, life jackets, seats, etc for half the cost of a new Hobie.

That's the disadvantage, IMHO.

I'm not familiar with the Trident, but Ocean Kayak are good boats. Lots of guys I've fished with had them and loved them. Make sure to keep plenty of money aside for the extras. They add up fast.

I second pool noodles. I put some rope through and tie it around the kayak, then just lift, tie it down front back and middle and you're good to go. Works great when we're using something other than my pickup, where it just sticks out the bed.

Article 1, Section 9:
Old 04-16-2009, 09:15 AM   #22
JFigliuolo

Quote:
Originally Posted by wheresmy50 View Post
I just bought a used 14' Mirrorcraft deep V with new trolling motor, new fish finder, good trailer, life jackets, seats, etc for half the cost of a new Hobie.

That's the disadvantage, IMHO.

I'm not familiar with the Trident, but Ocean Kayak are good boats. Lots of guys I've fished with had them and loved them. Make sure to keep plenty of money aside for the extras. They add up fast.

I second pool noodles. I put some rope through and tie it around the kayak, then just lift, tie it down front back and middle and you're good to go. Works great when we're using something other than my pickup, where it just sticks out the bed.

Yup they are $$$, but no way I'd take out a 14' deep V in the slop I take a Yak out in. (My wife continually reminds me could have gotten a small used boat for the same $$$, thanks for bringing that up).

Plus w/a tin boat you need a trailer, a vehicle big enough to tow it, registration, insurance, gas... and a ramp + parking. Really not an apples to apples comparison. In some cases the boat is the CLEAR WINNER, but not in all cases. It's about finding what fits your individual needs. And NO, I'm not a hobie cultists (well not really)

PS... hitting Cutty this year?

Old 04-16-2009, 01:02 PM   #23
wheresmy50

JF - you're right that they're not for the same thing. Just a comparison about what you get for the money. .

PM sent.

Article 1, Section 9:
Old 04-16-2009, 04:12 PM   #24
reelecstasy
Boston Anglah

Location: Sitting on top of the world with my legs hangin free
I love my Tarpon 140
reelecstasy is offline   Reply With Quote