Striper Talk Striped Bass Fishing, Surfcasting, Boating

Left Nav S-B Home Register FAQ Members List S-B on Facebook Arcade WEAX Tides Buoys Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Right Nav

Left Container Right Container

Go Back   Striper Talk Striped Bass Fishing, Surfcasting, Boating » Striper Chat - Discuss stuff other than fishing ~ The Scuppers and Political talk » Political Threads

Political Threads This section is for Political Threads - Enter at your own risk. If you say you don't want to see what someone posts - don't read it :hihi:

Old 11-30-2010, 04:02 PM   #1
UserRemoved1
Permanently Disconnected

Somebody buy this guy a beer

Patriotic 'Hacktivist" Claims He Took Down Wikileaks Site - ABC News

I see nothing wrong with what he's doing. He's doing it for free...same thing the govt does or pays to do every day and pays millions.

tango down I say
Old 11-30-2010, 06:11 PM   #2
Backbeach Jake

I hope he burns them down and pisses on the ashes.

He that would make his own liberty secure, must guard even his enemy from oppression; for if he violates this duty, he establishes a precedent that will reach to himself.
Thomas Paine
Old 11-30-2010, 06:33 PM   #3
JohnnyD

Wikileaks does what our partisan news outlets should be doing - holding the government accountable for actions they try to hide, actions that are not always in the best interest of the principles this fine country holds dear. I read an interesting quote yesterday, "Wikileaks is what happens when the government is forced to enter a backscatter xray."

I can't sympathize with Assange's motivations for providing the releases, but I *can* appreciate that someone is holding governments accountable for their back-alley deals.

No government should not be allowed to act with impunity, ours is no different.
Old 11-30-2010, 07:25 PM   #4
UserRemoved1
Permanently Disconnected

Agreed but this latest bull%$%$%$%$ is just plain wrong and shouldn't have been done.
Old 12-01-2010, 08:51 AM   #5
buckman

Wikileaks and it's founder should be held accountable for every death they cause. They are hurting our efforts around the world. Many good people with good intentions will be hurt by this action. He is not on the side of America and he does not give a crap about"free speech". He is a self serving piece of crap that would run over your grandmother if he could get 5 minutes of fame from it.
I would shoot him on sight and proudly spend the rest of my life in jail.
Old 12-01-2010, 09:38 AM   #6
scottw

you have to admit though...it's pretty interesting stuff
Old 12-01-2010, 11:38 AM   #7
JohnnyD

Quote:
Originally Posted by buckman View Post
Wikileaks and it's founder should be held accountable for every death they cause. They are hurting our efforts around the world. Many good people with good intentions will be hurt by this action. He is not on the side of America and he does not give a crap about"free speech". He is a self serving piece of crap that would run over your grandmother if he could get 5 minutes of fame from it.
I would shoot him on sight and proudly spend the rest of my life in jail.
This is the kind of response that always amuses me. What deaths? What's a situation where releasing this information and our government being held accountable will cause the death of Americans? What "good people with good intentions" are now at risk moreso this week than they were last week before the release?

You spout the same baseless, sensationalist rhetoric as Hilary Clinton been about this topic. Terrorists are no more motivated to kill Americans today than they were last week. The Taliban isn't going to work any harder to destabilize Afghanistan today than they did last week. Iran wasn't about to give up their nuclear program and has changed their mind now.

I *do* completely agree with you that he's self serving with a personal vendetta, but I have yet to read of any information released that substantiates the "Americans are going to die because of this" garbage.

So again I ask, who are the "good people with good intentions" that are going to die because of this?
Old 12-01-2010, 01:34 PM   #8
buckman

Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnnyD View Post
This is the kind of response that always amuses me. What deaths? What's a situation where releasing this information and our government being held accountable will cause the death of Americans? What "good people with good intentions" are now at risk moreso this week than they were last week before the release?

You spout the same baseless, sensationalist rhetoric as Hilary Clinton been about this topic. Terrorists are no more motivated to kill Americans today than they were last week. The Taliban isn't going to work any harder to destabilize Afghanistan today than they did last week. Iran wasn't about to give up their nuclear program and has changed their mind now.

I *do* completely agree with you that he's self serving with a personal vendetta, but I have yet to read of any information released that substantiates the "Americans are going to die because of this" garbage.

So again I ask, who are the "good people with good intentions" that are going to die because of this?
I'm glad your amused JD. I'm not alone in my analysis that people will lose thier lifes over this. I'm glad you think of that as garbage.
So you think this pathetic rapist is doing the world a great service.Speaks volumes of you.
Old 12-01-2010, 01:48 PM   #9
Piscator

JD, you always seem to agree with everyone

I think the key word here is “Americans”.

People will die over this, they will be the Government Informants that were listed in the released documents. Although not Americans, I would think it's safe to say some of those people will die as a result of this CLASSIFIED information being leaked and those people being called out.

This has potential to do long term damage as it will be harder for our country to get informants because they will now have to worry about their name being leaked.

You asked: Are terrorists more motivated to kill Americans today than they were last week? Probably not, but it will be harder now for us to gain trust of someone willing to provide information.

"I know a taxidermy man back home. He gonna have a heart attack when he see what I brung him!"
Old 12-01-2010, 01:50 PM   #10
Piscator

I forgot to add, these "informants" probably aren't model citizens anyway. They do it for the money right?

The important thing is it will make it harder to find them and what will the cost be now..............

"I know a taxidermy man back home. He gonna have a heart attack when he see what I brung him!"
Old 12-01-2010, 02:17 PM   #11
Fishpart
Keep The Change

By leaking this sort of stuff, you put the lives of members of the intelligence services of many nations at risk. They are paid employees of the state who we go to extraordinary lengths to protect the identity of. Not to be confused with a thug informant...

“It’s not up to the courts to invent new minorities that get special protections,” Antonin Scalia
Old 12-01-2010, 02:26 PM   #12
buckman

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fishpart View Post
By leaking this sort of stuff, you put the lives of members of the intelligence services of many nations at risk. They are paid employees of the state who we go to extraordinary lengths to protect the identity of. Not to be confused with a thug informant...
And to think of the uproar over Libby's non release of that "special agent's" name....what was it ...Valerie Flame or something.
Old 12-01-2010, 02:30 PM   #13
Saltheart

As I understand it , the guy who leaked this stuff to Wiki was in the military? That guy goes to jail for a long time and maybe even gets looked at as a traitor in a time of war.

The wiki head showed really poor judgement. I'm nor sure what punishment is suitable. I'm thinking mayne taking him off the net entirely for some months or a year is suitable. It will replace jail time (which might make him a further hero to some) and hit him hard in the pocketbook where guys like that are really sensitive. it also would send a strong message to other web site gurus who may want to follow suit with what he did.

Now actions against this wiki guy do warrant serious discussions about freedom of speech. However , I think as many laws uphold , freedom of speech is not absolute. You cannot cry "fire" in a crowded building when there is no fire. I believe you cannot knowing continue the military guys leakage of state secrets. In other words , the military guy commited a crime releasing this stuff. Him committing the crime does not relieve others down the road to perpetuate the crime without similarly being criminals.

Anyway , I admit the wiki guy's actions can be discussed seriously but the military guy who leaked the stuff should be seriously punished.

Saltheart
Custom Crafted Rods by Saltheart
Old 12-01-2010, 02:31 PM   #14
Piscator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fishpart View Post
Good point!

Old 12-02-2010, 03:37 AM   #15
UserRemoved1
Permanently Disconnected

I wholeheartedly invite everyone here to BOYCOTT AMAZON.COM

They were providing server support for these assclowns.

For a company that is so entrenched in the USA you sure don't show any kind of generic loyalty to the hand that is feeding you.
Old 12-02-2010, 05:59 AM   #16
The Dad Fisherman
Super Moderator

They are looking at a PFC that leaked the Video footage a few months back.....thinks he's the same kid that leaked this stuff.

and the Guy running the Wikileaks site is in is own hot water right now....He is on Interpols most wanted list and is being investigated for a double rape.

"If you're arguing with an idiot, make sure he isn't doing the same thing."
Old 12-02-2010, 07:16 AM   #17
scottw

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Dad Fisherman View Post

and the Guy running the Wikileaks site is in is own hot water right now....He is on Interpols most wanted list and is being investigated for a double rape.
even worse for him...he's really pissed off the Russians and Chinese...I'm thinkin' his time here on earth is going to be short....funny how authorities can never find these guys but every media outlet on earth can locate them in an instant for an interview