Striper Talk Striped Bass Fishing, Surfcasting, Boating

Left Nav S-B Home Register FAQ Members List S-B on Facebook Arcade WEAX Tides Buoys Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Right Nav

Left Container Right Container

Go Back   Striper Talk Striped Bass Fishing, Surfcasting, Boating » Main Forum » Kayaking

Kayaking After the frequent attempts at Bribery, beatings, and simply getting towed at Sunrise - S-B opens the Kayak Forums Also see http://www.ultimatekayakfishing.com

Old 01-07-2010, 12:02 AM   #1
velo
velo

Question on Transporting an Native Watecraft Ultimate

I'm hoping to pick up a Native Watercraft Ultimate 14.5 Propel soon. Does anyone have any experience transporting any of the Ultimate series kayaks from Native Watercraft? Since the Ultimate series is a tunnel hull design I am wondering if standard kayak supports will work. The dealer told me that they haul it upside down like a canoe, but if I get rod holders I think that eliminates the upside method. I'd also like to get a Yakima Showtime Load-assistant which I believe will definitely force me to transport the boat right side up since commercially bought canoe supports are fairly flush to the cross bar they are attached to, and it looks like there has to be some height offset to keep the boat above the load assistant. Any thoughts? Thanks!
velo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2010, 08:13 AM   #2
mtejo
Bazinga

I have great luck using Thule saddle racks on my 4 Runner for Native Watercraft Ultimate 14.5 Tandem. I would recommend a Hydro Glide because of the length of the boat. You are going to love the stability of the boat. I don't have any experience with the load assistant but they look cool.

One thought is getting a trailer. I’m thinking that you don’t have to lift the boat so high and there is more room for all the gear. I’m currently looking to buy or build a carrier.
mtejo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2010, 01:10 PM   #3
Megabyte

What's the Yakima load assistant?
Posted from my iPhone/Mobile device
Megabyte is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2010, 11:55 PM   #4
velo
velo

The ShowBoat by Yakima is a roller on a sliding support system that can be extended out beyond the back of your car to make it easier for loading car top boats. It's pretty cool but for some reason has not been available for over a month now at the store where I bought the rest of my rack accessories. They're not sure what's going on. Not sure if it's been discontinued.
Old 03-17-2010, 04:58 PM   #5
patpatriot

I have the ultimate 12 and to be honest I've been getting by this past year strapping it upside down with some foam pads. I'll be purchasing the thule system hopefully that help protect the roof. I have 2 flush mount rod holders in the back and a swivel type on the side. The scotty holders get installed flush to the top so that is'nt a problem.
patpatriot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2010, 07:51 PM   #6
velo
velo

Thanks for the info. I've since bought an Ultimate 14 and do the same; upside down. The only problem I have in doing that way is the padded arm rests on the gunwales are pressing against one of my rack cross bars, compressing and maybe damaging them over time. The bars are fairly close together and it's the only position the boat can be centered. Oh well, upside up in the rain would cause more problems.