Striper Talk Striped Bass Fishing, Surfcasting, Boating

Left Nav S-B Home Register FAQ Members List S-B on Facebook Arcade WEAX Tides Buoys Calendar Today's Posts Right Nav

Left Container Right Container

Go Back   Striper Talk Striped Bass Fishing, Surfcasting, Boating » Striper Chat - Discuss stuff other than fishing ~ The Scuppers and Political talk » Political Threads

Political Threads This section is for Political Threads - Enter at your own risk. If you say you don't want to see what someone posts - don't read it :hihi:

Old 09-10-2009, 02:21 PM   #1
Bronko

ACORN Again...

Obama's associations with seedy, low-brow individuals is well documented: Bill Ayers, Van Jones, Rev. Wright. But to me the A.C.O.R.N. association is the toughest to swallow. This is a disgustingly vile group that has been implicated in the mortgage system collapse, voter fraud & intimidation tactics and a littany of other allegations over the past decade or so.

Here is a viral video bound to make some noise in the near future, what a joke this group is....

The charm of fishing is that it is the pursuit of what is elusive but attainable, a perpetual series of occasions for hope. ~John Buchan
Old 09-10-2009, 05:40 PM   #2
buckman

This won't matter to the media in the least. They are not in the habit of reporting the truth about Acorn. Except JD's favorite, Fox.
Old 09-10-2009, 05:45 PM   #3
RIJIMMY
sick of bluefish

you guys are racist.

making s-b.com a kinder, gentler place for all
Old 09-10-2009, 05:59 PM   #4
Cool Beans

Quote:
Originally Posted by RIJIMMY View Post
you guys are racist.
yep,,, picking on these highly educated and professionals just because they are black..... Shame on you.....

On a serious note, even though mainstream didn't mention it, Hellen Glover, Glenn Beck, Rush Limbaugh and Sean Hannity were all over it. Im sure Mark Levin is talking about it as I type this...

Hopefully people will start to realize that your friends and those you select to be around you, reflect who you are. Bill Ayers, Jeremiah Wright, Green czar guy that quit (drawing a blank on his name), and many others, including these two marvelous examples of Obama worshipers are who Obama is! I just hope that in 2010 all of the dems in line behind Obama are looking for new jobs.
Old 09-10-2009, 06:05 PM   #5
scottw

community organizing and taxpayer dollars under Obama at work...cheer up...they're also helping with the census
Old 09-11-2009, 04:32 PM   #6
spence

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cool Beans View Post
On a serious note, even though mainstream didn't mention it, Hellen Glover, Glenn Beck, Rush Limbaugh and Sean Hannity were all over it. Im sure Mark Levin is talking about it as I type this...
That's because they're all bottom feeders...

You guys act like this is investigative journalism, when in reality it's on par with a Michael Moore hit piece.

Looks like the people involved were fired as they should be. I guess it's not easy to hire cheap talent in the inner city...

-spence
Old 09-11-2009, 04:40 PM   #7
Swimmer
Retired Surfer

But Spence why didn't the (A)lways (B)arack (C)hannel, or NBC, Or CBS play any of this. Thirteen Acorn members were indicted in Florida for false name registration and this got poo poo'd also.

Swimmer a.k.a. YO YO MA
Serial Mailbox Killer/Seal Fisherman
Old 09-11-2009, 04:50 PM   #8
spence

Quote:
Originally Posted by Swimmer View Post
But Spence why didn't the (A)lways (B)arack (C)hannel, or NBC, Or CBS play any of this. Thirteen Acorn members were indicted in Florida for false name registration and this got poo poo'd also.
The PIMP piece was clearly a hit job. Was it embarrassing for ACORN? Of course it was...but it's not journalism.

The big three news stations try to keep things on the level, and admittedly they have lapses...but if I was the editor this wouldn't even come close to passing the basic smell test. It's not "news".

I'd note that other cable stations like CNN did cover the story as an "interest" piece, although with a bit more objectivity as the right-wing punditry.

-spence
Old 09-11-2009, 04:56 PM   #9
Goose

I'm almost 100% sure the woman in the white t-shirt was in the performing arts bizz,
Old 09-11-2009, 05:24 PM   #10
buckman

Quote:
Originally Posted by spence View Post
The PIMP piece was clearly a hit job. Was it embarrassing for ACORN? Of course it was...but it's not journalism.

The big three news stations try to keep things on the level, and admittedly they have lapses...but if I was the editor this wouldn't even come close to passing the basic smell test. It's not "news".

I'd note that other cable stations like CNN did cover the story as an "interest" piece, although with a bit more objectivity as the right-wing punditry.

-spence
Hit job or not. The truth should be told about this organization.If it wee not for it being a far left org. the "BIG 3" would cover it. If it becomes real news it will become time for one of those Obama distractions. Like maybe another Gates crisis.
Old 09-11-2009, 06:27 PM   #11
Fly Rod

Quote:
Originally Posted by Swimmer View Post
You are complaining to the wrong blog. This blog only falls on deaf ears and a lot of rhetoric. You should be complaining to the news media that you mentioned above and maybe, just maybe, they might listen.
Old 09-11-2009, 07:24 PM   #12
Fly Rod

Honestly I do not believe that they would listen.
Old 09-12-2009, 08:56 AM   #13
spence

Quote:
Originally Posted by buckman View Post
Hit job or not. The truth should be told about this organization.
I've seen plenty of ACORN stories in the mainstream press, when there's been a legitimate accusation to report about.

A good portion of what you hear about ACORN from the Right isn't even true, or has been mis-characterized. That's not to say the organization is without fault, but the allegations of illegal voter registration etc... have been widely misreported by the Right Wing media.

-spence
Old 09-12-2009, 09:40 AM   #14
buckman

Quote:
I've seen plenty of ACORN stories in the mainstream press, when there's been a legitimate accusation to report about.

A good portion of what you hear about ACORN from the Right isn't even true, or has been mis-characterized. That's not to say the organization is without fault, but the allegations of illegal voter registration etc... have been widely misreported by the Right Wing media.

-spence
I think there are indictments in like 28 states. Oh ya, right wing "mis-characterizations".
Spence, it's ironic that you defend a radical, federally assisted, corrupt, left wing organization by blaming the radical right
Old 09-12-2009, 10:25 AM   #15
spence

Quote:
I think there are indictments in like 28 states. Oh ya, right wing "mis-characterizations".
Spence, it's ironic that you defend a radical, federally assisted, corrupt, left wing organization by blaming the radical right
I guess it would be important to understand what the indictments were actually for. The accusations are not that ACORN was engaged in voter fraud, but rather illegally registering voters.

Why?

Because the people they hired figured out they could make more money for themselves as they were paid on the number of registrations they obtained!

It certainly should be investigated and prosecuted as appropriate, but it's a long way from the 2008 campaign rhetoric that ACORN was spearheading a massive election scandal.

As for Federal funding, I think they have only been able to get 3 or 4 millions dollars a year nationally. That's not a lot of money and they have done value added work.

I'm no ACORN advocate, but how the Right has used them as a straw man is pretty silly and manipulative. Watching FOX News you'd think this was a bigger issue than terrorism.

-spence
Old 09-12-2009, 10:55 AM   #16
buckman

Quote:
The accusations are not that ACORN was engaged in voter fraud, but rather illegally registering voters.
-spence
What????
Old 09-12-2009, 11:01 AM   #17
spence

Quote:
What????
Pretty simple, they were creating fake registrations that would never be converted into votes.

-spence
Old 09-12-2009, 11:14 AM   #18
buckman

Quote:
Pretty simple, they were creating fake registrations that would never be converted into votes.

-spence
Oh, since you put it that way... You my friend have an answer or excuse for everything.
Old 09-12-2009, 11:29 AM   #19
spence

Quote:
Oh, since you put it that way... You my friend have an answer or excuse for everything.
I'm not making any excuses, I find the behavior to be reprehensible.

If you're going to be making accusations, at least understand what you're accusing someone of.

-spence
Old 09-12-2009, 01:55 PM   #20
buckman

Quote:

-spence
How do you know this? What were they doing it for then, Practice! Your too funny
Old 09-12-2009, 02:00 PM   #21
spence

Quote:
How do you know this? What were they doing it for then, Practice! Your too funny
The individuals hired by ACORN were doing it for personal gain.

How do I know? I have a freaking crystal ball...Jesus...

-spence
Old 09-12-2009, 05:05 PM   #22
buckman

Your right Spence. It's all made up. It wasn't them it was the people working for them They meant no harm, no fraud, its all good.
I thinking, the same thing the FBI thinks in at least 21 cases. But what the hell do they know.
Old 09-12-2009, 05:10 PM   #23
spence

Quote:
Your right Spence. It's all made up. It wasn't them it was the people working for them They meant no harm, no fraud, its all good.
I thinking, the same thing the FBI thinks in at least 21 cases. But what the hell do they know.
I don't think you're following the conversation...

ACORN isn't being investigated here for trying to "rig" the vote.

They're being investigated because members of their organization were trying to pad their own pockets by creating false registrations that would count towards their paycheck.

Doesn't mean it's right, but it's not as characterized by the Right Wing media.

Are you with me?

-spence
Old 09-13-2009, 08:06 AM   #24
buckman

There are multiple investigations and also multiple convictions over the years. This group, which recieves my tax money, has a political agenda. They don't care about laws, the constitution or ethics.
That's fine with you, that much I'm with you on.
Old 09-13-2009, 08:46 AM   #25
spence

Quote:
There are multiple investigations and also multiple convictions over the years. This group, which recieves my tax money, has a political agenda. They don't care about laws, the constitution or ethics.
That's fine with you, that much I'm with you on.
Ok, you're probably right. Please help me learn though...can you point out an instance where ACORN has been convicted for "election" fraud? This is the major accusation from the Right isn't it? That ACORN is a political organization who tries to rig elections for Democrats?

And do you think every group who receives tax dollars is non-political and ethical? Hell, you can start with Congress.

-spence
Old 09-13-2009, 10:02 AM   #26
buckman

OK....
State Year Details
AR 1998 A contractor with ACORN-affiliated Project Vote was arrested for falsifying about 400 voter registration cards.
CO 2005 Two ex-ACORN employees were convicted in Denver of perjury for submitting false voter registrations.
2004 An ACORN employee admitted to forging signatures and registering three of her friends to vote 40 times.
CT 2008 The New York Post reported that ACORN submitted a voter registration card for a 7-year-old Bridgeport girl. Another 8,000 cards from the same city will be scrutinized for possible fraud.
FL 2008 Election officials in Brevard County have given prosecutors more than 23 suspect registrations from ACORN. The state's Division of Elections is also investigating complaints in Orange and Broward Counties.
2004 A Florida Department of Law Enforcement spokesman said ACORN was “singled out” among suspected voter registration groups for a 2004 wage initiative because it was “the common thread” in the agency’s fraud investigations.
IN 2008 Election officials in Indiana have thrown out more than 4,000 ACORN-submitted voter registrations after finding they had identical handwriting and included the names of many deceased Indianans, and even the name of a fast food restaurant.
MI 2008 Clerks in Detroit found a "sizeable number of duplicate and fraudulent [voter] applications" from the Michigan branch of ACORN. Those applications have been turned over to the U.S. Attorney's office for investigation.
2004 The Detroit Free Press reported that “overzealous or unscrupulous campaign workers in several Michigan counties are under investigation for voter-registration fraud, suspected of attempting to register nonexistent people or forging applications for already-registered voters.” ACORN-affiliate Project Vote was one of two groups suspected of turning in the documents.
MO 2008 Nearly 400 ACORN-submitted registrations in Kansas City have been rejected due to duplication or fake information.
2007 Four ACORN employees were indicted in Kansas City for charges including identity theft and filing false registrations during the 2006 election.
2006 Eight ACORN employees in St. Louis were indicted on federal election fraud charges. Each of the eight faces up to five years in prison for forging signatures and submitting false information.
2003 Of 5,379 voter registration cards ACORN submitted in St. Louis, only 2,013 of those appeared to be valid. At least 1,000 are believed to be attempts to register voters illegally.
MN 2004 During a traffic stop, police found more than 300 voter registration cards in the trunk of a former ACORN employee, who had violated a legal requirements that registration cards be submitted to the Secretary of State within 10 days of being filled out and signed.
NC 2008 County elections officials have sent suspicious voter registration applications to the state Board of Elections. Many of the applications had similar or identical names, but with different addresses or dates of birth.
2004 North Carolina officials investigated ACORN for submitting fake voter registration cards.
NM 2008 Prosecutors are investigating more than 1,100 ACORN-submitted voter registration cards after a county clerk found them to be fraudulent. Many of the cards included duplicate names and slightly altered personal information.
2005 Four ACORN employees submitted as many as 3,000 potentially fraudulent signatures on the group’s Albuquerque ballot initiative. A local sheriff added: “It’s safe to say the forgery was widespread.”
2004 An ACORN employee registered a 13-year-old boy to vote. Citing this and other examples, New Mexico State Representative Joe Thompson stated that ACORN was “manufacturing voters” throughout New Mexico.
NV 2009 Nevada authorities indicted ACORN on 26 counts of voter registration fraud and 13 counts of illegally compensating canvassers. ACORN provided a bonus compensation program called “Blackjack” or “21+” for any canvasser who registered more than 20 voters per shift, which is illegal under Nevada law.
2008 Nevada state authorities raided ACORN's Las Vegas headquarters as part of a task force investigation of election fraud. Fraudulent registrations included players from the Dallas Cowboys.
OH 2008 ACORN activists gave Ohio residents cash and cigarettes in exchange for filling out voter registration card, according to the New York Post. Some voters claim to have registered dozens of times, and one man says he signed up on 72 cards.
2007 A man in Reynoldsburg was indicted on two felony counts of illegal voting and false registration, after being registered by ACORN to vote in two separate counties.
2004 A grand jury indicted a Columbus ACORN worker for submitting a false signature and false voter registration form. In Franklin County, two ACORN workers submitted what the director of the board of election supervisors called “blatantly false” forms. In Cuyahoga County, ACORN and its affiliate Project Vote submitted registration cards that had the highest rate of errors for any voter registration group.
PA 2009 Seven ACORN workers in the Pittsburgh area were indicted for submitting falsified voter registration forms. Six of the seven were also indicted for registering voters under an illegal quota system.
2008 State election officials have thrown out 57,435 voter registrations, the majority of which were submitted by ACORN. The registrations were thrown out after officials found "clearly fraudulent" signatures, vacant lots listed as addresses, and other signs of fraud.
2008 An ACORN employee in West Reading, PA, was sentenced to up to 23 months in prison for identity theft and tampering with records. A second ACORN worker pleaded not guilty to the same charges and is free on $10,000 bail.
2004 Reading’s Director of Elections received calls from numerous individuals complaining that ACORN employees deliberately put inaccurate information on their voter registration forms. The Berks County director of elections said voter fraud was “absolutely out of hand,” and added: “Not only do we have unintentional duplication of voter registration but we have blatant duplicate voter registrations.” The Berks County deputy director of elections added that ACORN was under investigation by the Department of Justice.
TX 2008 In Harris County, nearly 10,000 ACORN-submitted registrations were found to be invalid, including many with clearly fraudulent addresses or other personal information.
2008 ACORN turned in the voter registration form of David Young, who told reporters “The signature is not my signature. It’s not even close.” His social security number and date of birth were also incorrect.
VA 2005 In 2005, the Virginia State Board of Elections admonished Project Vote and ACORN for turning in a significant number of faulty voter registrations. An audit revealed that 83% of sampled registrations that were rejected for carrying false or questionable information were submitted by Project Vote. Many of these registrations carried social security numbers that exist for other people, listed non-existent or commercial addresses, or were for convicted felons in violation of state and federal election law.

Want more?
Old 09-13-2009, 10:15 AM   #27
Joe

I bet Al Gore is kicking himself.

Old 09-13-2009, 10:51 AM   #28
spence

I'm well aware of the registration fraud charges, which is pretty common across all states...I'm a lot more concerned with actual voter fraud though, as this is what has been charged repeatedly by the GOP.

There's a big difference.

-spence
Old 09-13-2009, 11:10 AM   #29
buckman

I think if you are caught with registration fraud then your intent was voter fraud.
Once the registrations are complete then the votings easy.
Let's just agree that their intent is to register Democratic voters. You say the only reason was to put $$ in their personal pockets. Then why register only Democrats?
Old 09-13-2009, 11:27 AM   #30
spence

Quote:
I think if you are caught with registration fraud then your intent was voter fraud.
It's not the same crime. In most all of the cases cited above the false registrations are people that don't exist, they can't be converted into votes.

It's certainly bad as I've said all along. My point is that the GOP accusations aren't based in fact...it's a straw man to rile the base.

-spence