Striper Talk Striped Bass Fishing, Surfcasting, Boating

Left Nav S-B Home Register FAQ Members List S-B on Facebook Arcade WEAX Tides Buoys Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Right Nav

Left Container Right Container

Go Back   Striper Talk Striped Bass Fishing, Surfcasting, Boating » Striper Chat - Discuss stuff other than fishing ~ The Scuppers and Political talk » Political Threads

Political Threads This section is for Political Threads - Enter at your own risk. If you say you don't want to see what someone posts - don't read it :hihi:

Old 01-10-2010, 01:50 PM   #1
eelskimmer

Poll-Brown up 48-47 on Martha

Public Policy Polling has Brown over Coakley
by one point, on poll taken Jan. 7-9. Biggest
switch among independents and they are
really hyped. See ya at the voting booth,
Tuesday, Jan. 19.
Old 01-10-2010, 02:11 PM   #2
Raider Ronnie

Send a message via AIM to Raider Ronnie

LETS GO BRANDON
Old 01-10-2010, 02:15 PM   #3
Fly Rod

I've heard two polls, the poll that U R quoting and also heard that Martha was up by 15
Old 01-10-2010, 02:36 PM   #4
BigFish
BigFish Bait Co.

Send a message via AIM to BigFish
The "Political Forum" is 15 threads down on the left!

Almost time to get our fish on!!!
Old 01-10-2010, 02:50 PM   #5
Raider Ronnie

Send a message via AIM to Raider Ronnie
Quote:
Originally Posted by BigFish View Post
The "Political Forum" is 15 threads down on the left!

The BigFish/Grumpy old farts forum is 18 treads down the left

LETS GO BRANDON
Old 01-10-2010, 03:43 PM   #6
eelskimmer

Come on Fly Rod

Don't speak like a liberal, quote the poll
and when it was taken. You got the
courtesy of this info now give it back to
us or sayonara.
Old 01-10-2010, 04:47 PM   #7
Karl F

New Poll Gives Dem Coakley Big Lead In MA-SEN Special Election | TPMDC

wbur.org News Coakley Grabs Solid Lead In Poll

Daily Kos: State of the Nation

and the one showing the one point lead for Brown:

Save WRKO BREAKING: SHOCK POLL SHOWS BROWN AHEAD OF COAKLEY

Polls...only show, what those that conduct them, want to show...

now... the only poll that matters, is what happens in the voting booths on Jan 19th....

she has the MA Dem machine behind her...Beacon Hill...and now the Kennedy Steamroller behind her....

So..get out there and vote.....
Old 01-11-2010, 10:43 AM   #8
fishbones

Coakley campaigned at JP Licks ice cream shop in Jamaica Plain on Saturday. Saturday was one of the coldest days we've had this year and she's campaigning at an ice cream shop? Who the heck is advising her? Oh, and Jamaica Plain is going to vote Democrat anyways. She should be out visiting the areas where there are more independents and conservatives. It's nice to see so many Brown signs in my town.

Conservatism is not about leaving people behind. Conservatism is about empowering people to catch up, to give them tools at their disposal that make it possible for them to access all the hope, all the promise, all the opportunity that America offers. - Marco Rubio
Old 01-11-2010, 11:28 AM   #9
JohnnyD

Quote:
Originally Posted by fishbones View Post
Coakley campaigned at JP Licks ice cream shop in Jamaica Plain on Saturday. Saturday was one of the coldest days we've had this year and she's campaigning at an ice cream shop? Who the heck is advising her? Oh, and Jamaica Plain is going to vote Democrat anyways. She should be out visiting the areas where there are more independents and conservatives. It's nice to see so many Brown signs in my town.
On Fox last night, every time there was a commercial break 2 commercials with her and that terrible accent came on. Probably saw the same commercial 10-12 times over two hours.
Old 01-11-2010, 12:01 PM   #10
fishbones

Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnnyD View Post
On Fox last night, every time there was a commercial break 2 commercials with her and that terrible accent came on. Probably saw the same commercial 10-12 times over two hours.
Every time my wife hears her voice, she swears that Coakley's from the midwest. She can't stand her annoying voice. I even showed her Coakleys bio and my wife thinks it's all fake. She says that no one from MA sounds like that. My wife has only a passing interest in politics but said she's voting for Brown on the 19th out of spite.

Conservatism is not about leaving people behind. Conservatism is about empowering people to catch up, to give them tools at their disposal that make it possible for them to access all the hope, all the promise, all the opportunity that America offers. - Marco Rubio
Old 01-11-2010, 09:04 PM   #11
Fly Rod

Quote:
Originally Posted by eelskimmer View Post
Come on Fly Rod

Don't speak like a liberal, quote the poll
and when it was taken. You got the
courtesy of this info now give it back to
us or sayonara.

LIBERAL!!!
Old 01-12-2010, 04:27 AM   #12
Rob Rockcrawler

Its nice to see a bit of competition in this election. My money is going on Coakley, this is Mass after all. A republican governor is ok, because we think our taxes are going to go down/stay the same, but in the senate, i just cant see it happening.

Everything is better on the rocks.
Old 01-12-2010, 12:41 PM   #13
Karl F

Did anybody watch the debate last night?

Even Andy Hiller said Brown won hands down...

Dem machine, latched up with the Beacon Hill corruption train, hooked onto the Kennedy Bandwagon.. yeah...Brown ain't just competing against the AG..for certain...

who and how count the votes in the "commonwealth" anyways....??
Old 01-12-2010, 12:52 PM   #14
fishbones

Quote:
Originally Posted by Karl F View Post
Did anybody watch the debate last night?

Even Andy Hiller said Brown won hands down...

Dem machine, latched up with the Beacon Hill corruption train, hooked onto the Kennedy Bandwagon.. yeah...Brown ain't just competing against the AG..for certain...

who and how count the votes in the "commonwealth" anyways....??

Don't worry Karl. With old friend Billy Galvin in charge of the ballot counting, Martha is a shoe in. Billy likes to change the rules to suit his cronies, like Martha. He's already cut down on the timeframe for absentee ballots to be sent out and received. I'll bet that most of the absentee ballots from military personnel overseas just happen to come in too late to be counted. Or, they'll never make it overseas in the first place.

Old 01-12-2010, 12:54 PM   #15
eelskimmer

Obama comin' to town

and he has a giftie for wittle Martha.
It's not a doll, a pony or a bike.
After he's through speaking she
shall have a brand new five point
drop in polls.

Only five out of respect to the office.
Old 01-12-2010, 01:44 PM   #16
FishermanTim

Quote:
Originally Posted by fishbones View Post
Don't worry Karl. With old friend Billy Galvin in charge of the ballot counting, Martha is a shoe in. Billy likes to change the rules to suit his cronies, like Martha. He's already cut down on the timeframe for absentee ballots to be sent out and received. I'll bet that most of the absentee ballots from military personnel overseas just happen to come in too late to be counted. Or, they'll never make it overseas in the first place.
As comical as this sounds, they've already proven that they can't follow the rules, even they're own rules.
Let's see how this pans out.
I wouldn't put it past the Dems to try some last minute shenanigans to disallow or eliminate "certain" votes from being counted if they feel that "Ted Kennedy's" seat may be lost.

I loved Scott Brown's correction that "This is not Ted Kennedy's seat, nor the Democrats seat.....It's the PEOPLE'S SEAT!"
The dems seemed to have forgotten that.

I also liked how Brown called both Coakley and the moderator with corrections to their "misleading" comments about his record.

Let's all get out and vote next Tuesday!
Old 01-12-2010, 02:38 PM   #17
JohnnyD

Wait, how do you spell Massachusetts?
Old 01-12-2010, 03:24 PM   #18
RIJIMMY
sick of bluefish

johnny, is that real???

making s-b.com a kinder, gentler place for all
Old 01-12-2010, 03:46 PM   #19
fishbones

Here's the ad as it appeared on tv.

You'd think someone might have picked up on the spelling error before letting it air, huh?

Old 01-12-2010, 04:32 PM   #20
RIJIMMY
sick of bluefish

what a weak ad. She needs new material.

making s-b.com a kinder, gentler place for all
Old 01-12-2010, 04:33 PM   #21
JohnnyD

Quote:
Originally Posted by RIJIMMY View Post
johnny, is that real???
Yup. Thanks FB for finding it on the Tube.

If I were Brown, I'd scramble to have and advisory made, "How can you trust someone with your money, when their staff incorrectly spell Massachusett(e)s?" and have a photo grab of that screen.
Old 01-12-2010, 05:34 PM   #22
Mike P
Jiggin' Leper Lawyer

Quote:
Originally Posted by FishermanTim View Post
As comical as this sounds, they've already proven that they can't follow the rules, even they're own rules.
Let's see how this pans out.
I wouldn't put it past the Dems to try some last minute shenanigans to disallow or eliminate "certain" votes from being counted if they feel that "Ted Kennedy's" seat may be lost.

I loved Scott Brown's correction that "This is not Ted Kennedy's seat, nor the Democrats seat.....It's the PEOPLE'S SEAT!"
The dems seemed to have forgotten that.

I also liked how Brown called both Coakley and the moderator with corrections to their "misleading" comments about his record.

Let's all get out and vote next Tuesday!

Kirk and the Senate Democratic leadership are already talking about delaying Brown's swearing-in until after the vote on the health care bill, should he pull off the upset.

The fact that they're even publicly discussing this means that they think he has a decent chance of winning.

Wise men speak because they have something to say; Fools, because they have to say something.
Old 01-13-2010, 09:58 AM   #23
Karl F

numbers today... 2 point spread

Poll: Brown, Coakley only 2 points apart | CapeCodOnline.com

noticeble uptick in the mud being slung by the coakley campaign...
Old 01-13-2010, 10:07 AM   #24
fishbones

Quote:
Poll: Brown, Coakley only 2 points apart | CapeCodOnline.com

noticeble uptick in the mud being slung by the coakley campaign...
They've even resorted to thuggery. This happened last night in DC. A reporter tried to ask Coakley if she stood by her statement that there were no terrorists left in Afghanistan. She refused to answer, then had one of her people try to prevent the reporter from following her and trying to get an answer. He actually pushed the guy to the ground and then helped him up, but still tried to block him from getting close. These types of incidents aren't going to help her.

Old 01-13-2010, 10:12 AM   #25
Karl F

Looked like coakley was going to walk into the liqour store....must have gotten thirsty from all the questions she answered...

why is our AG in DC??
Old 01-13-2010, 10:29 AM   #26
fishbones

Quote:
Looked like coakley was going to walk into the liqour store....must have gotten thirsty from all the questions she answered...

why is our AG in DC??
It was a campaign fund raiser with health care lobbyists. She said it was planned right after the primary.

Old 01-13-2010, 01:59 PM   #27
buckman

I'm heading to New Hampshire for my victory party booze. Who's in?
Old 01-13-2010, 02:07 PM   #28
fishbones

Quote:
Originally Posted by buckman View Post
I'm heading to New Hampshire for my victory party booze. Who's in?
Are you taking orders? If so, get me one of everything.

Old 01-13-2010, 07:58 PM   #29
Bronko

Two weeks ago I would have bet a lot of dough that it would have been a double digit Coakley victory. Now I think Brown wins this thing. They Dems are filling their diapers, they are sending Bill Clinton here Friday and if there isn't a bounce in the polls over the weekend Obama may be here Sunday night/ Monday.

Brown has a ton of energy right now, he is peaking at the right time and Coakley has flatlined. Its going to be really interesting.

The charm of fishing is that it is the pursuit of what is elusive but attainable, a perpetual series of occasions for hope. ~John Buchan
Old 01-14-2010, 10:46 AM   #30
fishbones

How's this for arrogance? When asked by the Globe why she has been keeping such a low public profile, Joakley replied "What do you want me to do? Stand outside Fenway Park and shake peoples' hands?"

Well, yeah Martha. Isn't that what politicians do during campaigns? Scott Brown has been out (in Massachusetts) every day during this race. He's actually going into Democratic stronghold areas and trying reach out to people. Joakley's biggest public appearance was in DC at a fundraiser where she met with healthcare lobbyists.