Striper Talk Striped Bass Fishing, Surfcasting, Boating

Left Nav S-B Home Register FAQ Members List S-B on Facebook Arcade WEAX Tides Buoys Calendar Today's Posts Right Nav

Left Container Right Container

Go Back   Striper Talk Striped Bass Fishing, Surfcasting, Boating » Striper Chat - Discuss stuff other than fishing ~ The Scuppers and Political talk » Political Threads

Political Threads This section is for Political Threads - Enter at your own risk. If you say you don't want to see what someone posts - don't read it :hihi:

Old 04-08-2010, 10:35 AM   #1
buckman

Initial jobless claims increase ""unexpectedly""

"The number of newly laid-off workers seeking unemployment benefits rose last week, a sign that jobs remain scarce even as the economy recovers"

Obama doesn't get it!

Initial jobless claims increase unexpectedly - Yahoo! Finance
Old 04-08-2010, 12:40 PM   #2
JohnnyD

Quote:
Originally Posted by buckman View Post
"The number of newly laid-off workers seeking unemployment benefits rose last week, a sign that jobs remain scarce even as the economy recovers"

Obama doesn't get it!

Initial jobless claims increase unexpectedly - Yahoo! Finance
Are you serious?
Quote:
"Not everything goes in a straight line," Jennifer Lee, senior economist at BMO Capital Markets, wrote in a research note. "Definitely not the claims data."
Old 04-08-2010, 01:22 PM   #3
EarnedStripes44

Perhaps this is a "jobless" recovery.
Old 04-08-2010, 01:47 PM   #4
buckman

Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnnyD View Post
Are you serious?
No, I'm making a funny.
Old 04-08-2010, 01:50 PM   #5
buckman

Perhaps Sh#t like this has something to do with it:

http://www.striped-bass.com/Stripert...omeowners.html

I'm no senior economist , I'm just guessing
Old 04-08-2010, 02:00 PM   #6
scottw

Quote:
Originally Posted by EarnedStripes44 View Post
Perhaps this is a "jobless" recovery.
I wouldn't worry about it..the Kenyan Kommunist told us the he was going to focus like a laser on jobs....wait...maybe that was meant to say he'd be destroying jobs with a laser death ray or something

WIKIPEDIA .....A "jobless recovery" or jobless growth is a phrase used by leftist economists, especially in the United States, to describe the recovery from a recession, where "recovery" is defined as growth in gross domestic product (GDP), which does not produce strong growth in employment, specifically a rapid drop in the unemployment rate to the level it was prior to recession. The first documented use of the term was in the New York Times in the 1930s.[1]not a coincidence

A jobless recovery is usually seen as a bad thing in a capitalist industrialized society. This is primarily because in such a society most people need jobs to earn the money they need to purchase goods and services from the marketplace. Also, secondarily, doing something useful and productive is usually connected to a healthy individual's self-esteem and his or her positive relationships to the larger community. An alternative (Progressive liberal democrat) view is that a jobless recovery could be a step towards a post-scarcity society full of abundance for all if you are a communist moron-- as a new stage of cultural development with increased leisure and volunteerism.in other words, lazy ass government dependents and democrat voters That alternative view represents a trend that many technologists, futurists, and heterodox economists have predicted dreamed of and fantasized about in their deranged leftist cult meetings for decades.
Old 04-08-2010, 02:44 PM   #7
striperman36
Old Guy

Now that funny
Old 04-08-2010, 10:34 PM   #8
JohnnyD

Quote:
Originally Posted by buckman View Post
Perhaps Sh#t like this has something to do with it:

http://www.striped-bass.com/Stripert...omeowners.html

I'm no senior economist , I'm just guessing
That's already been whined about ad-nauseum.
Old 04-09-2010, 12:14 AM   #9
EarnedStripes44

Quote:
Originally Posted by scottw View Post
I wouldn't worry about it..the Kenyan Kommunist told us the he was going to focus like a laser on jobs....wait...maybe that was meant to say he'd be destroying jobs with a laser death ray or something

WIKIPEDIA .....A "jobless recovery" or jobless growth is a phrase used by leftist economists, especially in the United States, to describe the recovery from a recession, where "recovery" is defined as growth in gross domestic product (GDP), which does not produce strong growth in employment, specifically a rapid drop in the unemployment rate to the level it was prior to recession. The first documented use of the term was in the New York Times in the 1930s.[1]not a coincidence

A jobless recovery is usually seen as a bad thing in a capitalist industrialized society. This is primarily because in such a society most people need jobs to earn the money they need to purchase goods and services from the marketplace. Also, secondarily, doing something useful and productive is usually connected to a healthy individual's self-esteem and his or her positive relationships to the larger community. An alternative (Progressive liberal democrat) view is that a jobless recovery could be a step towards a post-scarcity society full of abundance for all if you are a communist moron-- as a new stage of cultural development with increased leisure and volunteerism.in other words, lazy ass government dependents and democrat voters That alternative view represents a trend that many technologists, futurists, and heterodox economists have predicted dreamed of and fantasized about in their deranged leftist cult meetings for decades.
Comrade, you left the "this article needs additional citations for verification" notice out of your arts and craft project.

But I get it; we took the happy ending of the 1990's for granted. And for 10 years, something spoiled in our brand of capitalism. But we held our noses. Our - not left or right - state of economic affairs shows that even a sophisticated country with studied leadership can stumble badly. This is essentially what occurred in Japan long before we got wind of the stench of our own rotting economic core. The current growth is just simply too slow to reduce unemployment. To borrow from Paul Krugman, we may be in the midst of a "growth recession."
Old 04-09-2010, 05:51 AM   #10
buckman

Quote:
That's already been whined about ad-nauseum.
Sorry we make you sick JD.
Old 04-09-2010, 06:33 AM   #11
scottw

Quote:
Originally Posted by EarnedStripes44 View Post
Comrade, you left the "this article needs additional citations for verification" notice out of your arts and craft project.

But I get it; we took the happy ending of the 1990's for granted. the "happy ending" of the 1990's was also a bubble if you recall, And for 10 years, something spoiled in our brand of capitalism.yes and that was government/congress (maybe you missed Greenspan's testimony the other day) inserting it fingers into the banking system and forcing banks to make loans that should never have been made and the culture that it created which began long before the 10 years that you refer to But we held our noses. some did Our - not left or right - state of economic affairs your opinion shows that even a sophisticated country with studied leadership if you voted for Obama, studied leadership??? can stumble badly. This is essentially what occurred in Japan no, no, no...Japan's "lost decade" resulted from massive government spending to try to fuel their economy, we are only just entering that phase long before we got wind of the stench of our own rotting economic core. The current growth is just simply too intentionally slow to reduce unemployment. To borrow from Paul Krugman, we may be in the midst of a "growth recession." we are in the midst of " the remaking of America"

Comrade...you paint a picture of what you think has and is happening but it has no basis in fact....this economy is in ruins under the weight of massive debt that has and continues to be piled on in the form of liberal social programs, entitlements, benefits and promises....from RI -9.5 BILLION in unfunded obligations to public sector employees...to California 550 BILLION (that's half a TRILLION) in unfunded obligations to same and everywhere in between....now healthcare who's actual cost has been tinkerd and lied about to make it palatable to the sleazy politicians who voted for it...next phase is to find new ways to suck the life out of every American who works and participates in this failing economy....the folks running the country currently are vampires and they have their teeth in our necks, there can't be growth with massive debt ever increasing, rising taxation and new regulation....and we're told to expect high unemployment for a long...long time....but keep rooting along with the heterodox economists and futurists that the "jobless recovery" will bring Utopia and leisure and volunteerism and a Post-Scarcity Economy

what you need to decide is whether you prefer to be responsible for your own success in a free market economy or...whether you want to make the government responsible for guaranteeing your "happy ending"

oh, almost forgot...the Bush tax cuts are set to expire as well...that should help spur job slow growth

Last edited by scottw; 04-09-2010 at 07:08 AM..
Old 04-09-2010, 06:45 AM   #12
likwid
lobster = striper bait

Send a message via AIM to likwid
Most service industry related jobs are laying off this time of year. IT service related industry slows down EVERY year right about now and cuts its fat.

One example is ski resorts. How many do we have in this country?

I know reality is less fun than saying its Obama's fault, but think people.

Ski Quicks Hole
Old 04-09-2010, 06:46 AM   #13
striperman36
Old Guy

like this VAT vacuum the wallet thingy

U.S. eyes sales tax - BostonHerald.com
Old 04-09-2010, 06:49 AM   #14
scottw

Quote:
Originally Posted by likwid View Post
Most service industry related jobs are laying off this time of year. IT service related industry slows down EVERY year right about now and cuts its fat.

well, that explains it...ski resorts are responsible....unbelieveable

lawn care should be picking up...how many lawns do we have in this country??? wouldn't that off set the ski resort layoffs
Old 04-09-2010, 08:36 AM   #15
RIJIMMY
sick of bluefish

go to the Wrentham outlets this Saturday at 11am. You wont get a parking space . Then go home and google "1930s depression" and compare
You have no idea how incredibly good we have it despite Obama telling how catastrophic things are and how we are experienceing the worst recession since the depression. this is all an organized sham to redistribute wealth, demonize capilatism and slam through legislation that benefits the democrats base and puts the non tax paying majority in permanent control of the votes making it impossible for hard working people to control their tax dollars. Amen.

making s-b.com a kinder, gentler place for all
Old 04-09-2010, 08:46 AM   #16
PaulS

Quote:
Originally Posted by RIJIMMY View Post
go to the Wrentham outlets this Saturday at 11am. You wont get a parking space . Then go home and google "1930s depression" and compare
You have no idea how incredibly good we have it despite Obama telling how catastrophic things are and how we are experienceing the worst recession since the depression. this is all an organized sham to redistribute wealth, demonize capilatism and slam through legislation that benefits the democrats base and puts the non tax paying majority in permanent control of the votes making it impossible for hard working people to control their tax dollars. Amen.
At least I got my laugh for the day (redistribue wealth demonize capitalism ect. ). 12 months ago, our financial system was on the edge of ruin and we were in the worse economic situation since the great depression - certainly not as bad. However, how bad would it have been if the safety net put in place over the last 50 years not been there?
Old 04-09-2010, 08:56 AM   #17
Joe

"Never let a serious crisis go to waste…it’s an opportunity to do things you couldn’t do before." – Rohm Emanuel

Old 04-09-2010, 08:56 AM   #18
PaulS

Just stole this graph
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	BushObama-recoverystats1.jpg
Views:	592
Size:	65.8 KB
ID:	39352  
Old 04-09-2010, 08:57 AM   #19
scottw

Quote:
Originally Posted by PaulS View Post
At least I got my laugh for the day (redistribue wealth demonize capitalism ect. ). 12 months ago, our financial system was on the edge of ruin and we were in the worse economic situation since the great depression - certainly not as bad. However, how bad would it have been if the safety net put in place over the last 50 years not been there?
keep bouncing up and down on that safety net with a big grin... because your great grandchildren will be paying outrageous taxes to pay for the safety nets that you cheer today........you do know that all of the "safety nets" put in place are operating only due to deficit spending....right???? as in....there's no money for them???? Social Security is paying out more than it is taking in this year....wait....where's all the money they've collected since early last century to pay these retirees back their contributions......and all of the unfunded obligations that are currently bankrupting us at the state and federal level? what will you do when the "safety net" checks stop coming ?????
Old 04-09-2010, 09:13 AM   #20
fishbones

Quote:
Originally Posted by likwid View Post

When ski resorts, etc... lay off, other seasonal industries are hiring. Think about the hotels, seasonal restaurants and landscaping companies that increase their staffing levels in the spring.
Old 04-09-2010, 09:55 AM   #21
scottw

Quote:
Just stole this graph
the graph states "job lost" on the Bush Side then / "job growth" on the Obama side....the graph is for "job loss" and during the down turn the loss was greatest and eventually you start to run out of jobs to lose...there is no "job growth" represented by the graph, only fewer jobs lost per month(with the exception of 1 month) on the Obama side...this is very disingenuous...the jobs lost per month on the JoBama side are in addition to the jobs lost previously, not an increase in the number of jobs "job growth"...but a glance at the graph would make you think (if you are the Hopey Change type)there's an increase in employment "job growth" and things are on the upswing...we're just shedding jobs at a slower rate....

14. That's how many "rallies" we had in the Great Depression. Real unemployment 21.7%. Federal government spent 334 billion in the first 2 months of 2010 (an all time record), it took in 105 billion. Foreclosures hit all time record in Feb. Moody's warns of the loss of AAA credit rating over debt. Greece teetering on collapse, followed by almost the entire western world.

If you think this is over just wait and see.

have you checked oil prices lately?

Last edited by scottw; 04-09-2010 at 10:05 AM..
Old 04-09-2010, 09:57 AM   #22
PaulS

Quote:
keep bouncing up and down on that safety net with a big grin... because your great grandchildren will be paying outrageous taxes to pay for the safety nets that you cheer today.. what will you do when the "safety net" checks stop coming ?????

Actually, it won't effect me at all. I know that I pay more in taxes than the vast, vast majority of the public.

My cheering of the safety net has to do with my compassion for people less fortunate than myself.
Old 04-09-2010, 10:09 AM   #23
PaulS

Quote:
the graph states "job lost" on the Bush Side then / "job growth" on the Obama side. - this is very disingenuous...
Couldn't totally follow what you are saying but if the left side of the graph is measuring a different stat that the right side and using the job loss/job growth heading to represent the right and left side, I totally agree that the it is disingenous.

The fact remains that the economy was in a free fall and has started to stablize. Are we out of the woods yet, of course not.

I work in the insurance industry and the insurance companies were hurt by their insured companies laying off people. So if you insured company x in 2009 and it had 5,000 ees in 1/09, by 12/09 they had 4,500 ees. Most insurers are now forecasting enrollment will be flat in 2010 b/c their insureds have stopped laying people off and have slightly starting hiring people back.
Old 04-09-2010, 10:12 AM   #24
scottw

Quote:
Actually, it won't effect me at all. I know that I pay more in taxes than the vast, vast majority of the public.

My cheering of the safety net has to do with my compassion for people less fortunate than myself.
I guess if you define your compassion as your willingness to blindly pay arbitrary taxes to support and perpetuate failed programs that keep others mired in poverty and generationally begging at the government trough, it explains a lot....
Old 04-09-2010, 10:13 AM   #25
detbuch

Quote:

The safety net is not equated to your compassion. It is forced on everyone including those that have desire to be part of it. Your compassionate donation is indistinguishable from that forced from others who hate it. Your compassion is truly dinguished, in voluntary donations outside of the tax system.
Old 04-09-2010, 10:27 AM   #26
JohnnyD

Quote:
the graph states "job lost" on the Bush Side then / "job growth" on the Obama side...
The graph states "job lost" below the 0 line and "job growth" above the 0 line. Or are you made at how the graph is titled?

Bush had 800,000 jobs lost in his last month and some of you people are bitching over a report of under 100,000 lost?? So when there was positive job growth, that wasn't to Obama's credit, but the job losses are?

You can't have your cake and eat it too. At least be consistent. If you're going to relate the jobs situation directly to the Dems policies, then that relation is made to all conditions.

If you don't like it, I know someone looking for a roommate in Costa Rica.

Last edited by JohnnyD; 04-09-2010 at 10:36 AM..
Old 04-09-2010, 10:43 AM   #27
likwid
lobster = striper bait

Send a message via AIM to likwid
Quote:
well, that explains it...ski resorts are responsible....unbelieveable
Sunday River in Maine alone employs 400-500 people during the season, they lay off close to 80% of that.

Thats ONE resort, and not even remotely the scale of west coast mountains.

Lets also add in all the seasonal restaraunt staff, seasonal shop staff, winter guides for various outdoor sports, etc. etc. etc. that are done for the season and not getting into their next jobs (outdoor guides, summer season campers/forestry crews/etc.) for another month or so.

Quote:
lawn care should be picking up...how many lawns do we have in this country??? wouldn't that off set the ski resort layoffs
Landscraping STARTS out here (hamptons) the end of march and doesn't get going for another MONTH.

But, carry on being dumb, someone has to do it.

Here's an even more difficult concept for you. Seasonal jobs don't hire until they NEED people. I know, shocking.

Last edited by likwid; 04-09-2010 at 10:50 AM..

Ski Quicks Hole
Old 04-09-2010, 10:46 AM   #28
spence

Quote:
The graph states "job lost" below the 0 line and "job growth" above the 0 line. Or are you made at how the graph is titled?
He's just upset that Obama is on the right...and that he lacks the power to reverse the direction of time.

-spence
Old 04-09-2010, 10:49 AM   #29
spence

Quote:
Originally Posted by detbuch View Post
The safety net is not equated to your compassion. It is forced on everyone including those that have desire to be part of it. Your compassionate donation is indistinguishable from that forced from others who hate it. Your compassion is truly dinguished, in voluntary donations outside of the tax system.
Are there better options to keep the beggars off ones lawn?

-spence
Old 04-09-2010, 11:11 AM   #30
detbuch

Quote:
Originally Posted by spence View Post
Are there better options to keep the beggars off ones lawn?

-spence
Are you compassionate, or do you just want to keep the beggars off your lawn? If you're compassionate, offer the beggars a sandwich. If your too offended by their presence, have the government force the rest of us to feed them and get them off your lawn.