Striper Talk Striped Bass Fishing, Surfcasting, Boating

Left Nav S-B Home Register FAQ Members List S-B on Facebook Arcade WEAX Tides Buoys Calendar Today's Posts Right Nav

Left Container Right Container

Go Back   Striper Talk Striped Bass Fishing, Surfcasting, Boating » Build Stuff: Custom Plug & Lure Building, Rod Building » Plug Building - Got Wood?

Plug Building - Got Wood? Got Plug?

Old 03-09-2005, 08:50 PM   #1
Lower

chameleon createx ?

Ive been screwing around with the airbrush, since its new to me. Playing with all the colors, mixing and matching. Trying to get a feel for how the colors will come out. Havent gotten to my first plugs yet, just been painting dowels.

I cant quit figure out the best way to use the chameleon colors. There really cool but cant figure out how you guys are using them.

Put a coat on the entire plug once Ive gotten it to the colors I want? Specifically spray the sides or bottom? I also find it looks much different if I put a coat on after the plug has dried vs. putting a coat on while other paint is still wet. Any comments?

I know its trial and error, just curious what you guys are doing with it.
Lower is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2005, 10:04 PM   #2
Slipknot
Super Moderator

I think it says on the dixie art site that you need to paint the chameleon colors on top of black for best results.
Slipknot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2005, 10:59 PM   #3
Jigman

Quote:
Originally posted by Slipknot
I think it says on the dixie art site that you need to paint the chameleon colors on top of black for best results.
Yep, but there are sooooo many other ways to use them

Lower, a couple of recipes for you to try. Paint a plug black. Now fog the belly with chamilion gold. Same thing, but use the chamilion lilac On a plug with lighter colors (pearl for example), do a thin line down both sides with the lilac. Gives a plug that pinkish hue like a baitfish Note that the colors come out much better after a clear coat. Sort of gives a plug that holographic look. Experiment with other combos, there are all kinds of cool things to do with them. I like them more for accents and highlights. Just a little here and there

Jigman
Jigman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2005, 09:43 AM   #4
ThrowingTimber
It's about respect baby!

Talking Good to see a yak guy here :D

Hey are you guys ordering from dixie art or does anyone know any place local (RI) that has this paint on hand?

Domination takes full concentration..
ThrowingTimber is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2005, 12:56 PM   #5
justplugit
Registered Grandpa

TT, Pearl Paint carries a full line of createx in all sizes.They have a store in cambridge Ma.Call before you go. I have also seen it in a small selection in some Michaels stores.

" Choose Life "
justplugit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2005, 01:04 PM   #6
Lower

good to be seen and thanks for the reading!

Im ordering mine from Dixie art. Stuff is really cool.

Thanks Jigman. You answered my questions. I'll keep playing with it. I wasnt sure if I should do a light top coat over entire plug or use it for accents etc. Sounds like you can kind of do both.
Lower is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2005, 02:23 PM   #7
Jigman

yeah, you can do it both ways. Go light with it first. Too much and you'll ruin the effects.

Jigman
Jigman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2005, 07:16 PM   #8
Grand Wave

Hobby Lobby stores carry the full line of Createx...
Grand Wave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2005, 03:10 PM   #9
woodbutcher

Lower- I read in your post,"while other paint is still wet". Createx offers a free product info & technical guide booklet for their Auto Air line of paint. Time and time again they emphsize "work in light coats, very light coats". I had never before used waterborn paints and found them to handle quite differently than anything else. For me, anyway, the booklet was a must read.
Createx, 800-509-6563, www.autoaircolors.com (sorry, I'm a computer moron,dont know how to post a link)

'butcher "distiller of fine karma since 1965"
woodbutcher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2005, 05:14 PM   #10
justplugit
Registered Grandpa

Smile

The site came up loud and clear Bob, thanks it's got alot of great info Weather still bad out there.

Last edited by justplugit; 03-12-2005 at 05:24 PM..

" Choose Life "
justplugit is offline   Reply With Quote