Striper Talk Striped Bass Fishing, Surfcasting, Boating

Left Nav S-B Home Register FAQ Members List S-B on Facebook Arcade WEAX Tides Buoys Calendar Today's Posts Right Nav

Left Container Right Container

Go Back   Striper Talk Striped Bass Fishing, Surfcasting, Boating » Main Forum » StriperTalk!

StriperTalk! All things Striper

Old 10-05-2005, 04:00 PM   #1
Water Treater

Mung Report

If you are fishing the outer Cape beaches (Truro and Wellfleet in particular) I'd appreciate a Mung weed report. I'll be there this weekend and next week and I'd like to know if the beaches are (yet) fishable. Thanks, guys.
Water Treater is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2005, 05:06 PM   #2
bassmaster
Dave's Guide Service

send me 10 bucks in gas and i will go find out

Pro Tool Club....
bassmaster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2005, 07:42 PM   #3
tattoobob
Soggy Bottom Boy

What I have been told is there is still mung, people are finding fish

Last edited by Slipknot; 10-05-2005 at 08:10 PM..

Surfcasting Full Throttle

Don't judge me Monkey

Recreational Surfcaster 99.9% C&R
tattoobob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2005, 08:42 PM   #4
Rappin Mikey
My brother is bald

I heard if you know the right people, you can get some good.......awe never mind

seals + plovers =
Rappin Mikey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2005, 09:17 PM   #5
tattoobob
Soggy Bottom Boy

Opps I guess I gave to much info Sorry

Don't judge me Monkey

Old 10-06-2005, 04:50 PM   #6
Sweetwater
Ruled only by the tide

It can change from day to day....but as of last Saturday (Oct. 1?) it was a mix of very fishable, fairly fishable, to unfishable depending on the spot.

Three-fourths of the Earth's surface is water, and one-fourth is land. It is quite clear that the good Lord intended us to spend triple the amount of time fishing as taking care of the lawn.
Sweetwater is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2005, 04:59 PM   #7
Slipknot
Super Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by tattoobob
Opps I guess I gave to much info Sorry
it's ok Bob, people can be sensitive about some places, I'm sure you understand. We don't need any stampedes

The United States Constitution does not exist to grant you rights; those rights are inherent within you. Rather it exists to frame a limited government so that those natural rights can be exercised freely.

1984 was a warning, not a guidebook!

It's time more people spoke up with the truth. Every time we let a leftist lie go uncorrected, the commies get stronger.
Slipknot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2005, 05:30 PM   #8
tattoobob
Soggy Bottom Boy

Got cha

Don't judge me Monkey

Old 10-06-2005, 05:35 PM   #9
Nebe

Quote:
Originally Posted by Slipknot
it's ok Bob, people can be sensitive about some places, I'm sure you understand. We don't need any stampedes

send them all to RI right????
Nebe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2005, 05:51 PM   #10
Karl F

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nebe
send them all to RI right????
Where did Slip say that?

Not like your trying to send everybody to the cape or anything

Whole freaking issue has gotten waaaaay outta hand......

Best Policy----->

Omerta!
Karl F is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2005, 05:58 PM   #11
Nebe

I know nuttin

RI has 3 times the guys fishing it than last year. where did all these guys come from??? I see lots of mass plates and CT plates, even quite a few NJ plates every where i go. I dont mind the company, but it has been a shock to everyone around here..

I will often ask guys whey they're driving so far and i usually get 3 answers about their stomping grounds back home..

a- sucks

b- has no access

c- is really hard to fish

Ri aint what it used to be thats for sure..

21 trucks at a breachway, 15 guys at the mouth of a river mouth.... its like a friggn circus

my comment wasnt directed directly at slip, but at all the mass guys talking up RI all the time.

Fish your own friggin state
Old 10-06-2005, 06:03 PM   #12
TheRattBoy
surfcasting is NOT a crime

TheRattBoy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2005, 06:11 PM   #13
jkswimmer

What is wrong with saying if there is any mung or not? there is 40 miles of beach.
jkswimmer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2005, 06:15 PM   #14
JFigliuolo

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nebe
I know nuttin

RI has 3 times the guys fishing it than last year. where did all these guys come from??? I see lots of mass plates and CT plates, even quite a few NJ plates every where i go. I dont mind the company, but it has been a shock to everyone around here..

I will often ask guys whey they're driving so far and i usually get 3 answers about their stomping grounds back home..

a- sucks

b- has no access

c- is really hard to fish

Ri aint what it used to be thats for sure..

21 trucks at a breachway, 15 guys at the mouth of a river mouth.... its like a friggn circus

my comment wasnt directed directly at slip, but at all the mass guys talking up RI all the time.

Fish your own friggin state
nice, I lived in RI for 10 yrs (fished it for 15), now since I moved 10 min over the border I'm not allowed back... Thanks.

Good judgement comes from experience, and experience comes from bad judgement -- Keith Benning
JFigliuolo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2005, 06:42 PM   #15
Slipknot
Super Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by jkswimmer
What is wrong with saying if there is any mung or not? there is 40 miles of beach.
it wasn't about the mung that I edited out ya see.

and besides, once the guy who asked gets out there, he'll see for himself how the mung is just like the rest of us do.

Eben, you sound bitter. have a beer. Like you never spoke about your catching on the net

no need to take things too serious folks, it's only the internet.
fish where you want to, no need to listen to some writing on a message board

if this thread goes downhill, it will be cut off at the knees so play nice.

The United States Constitution does not exist to grant you rights; those rights are inherent within you. Rather it exists to frame a limited government so that those natural rights can be exercised freely.

It's time more people spoke up with the truth. Every time we let a leftist lie go uncorrected, the commies get stronger.
Old 10-06-2005, 07:06 PM   #16
kippy
Got Necco's?

I think Eben is grumpy from catching too many bloooooos lately

HAMMER TIME!
kippy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2005, 07:48 PM   #17
Nebe

Quote:
Originally Posted by JFigliuolo
nice, I lived in RI for 10 yrs (fished it for 15), now since I moved 10 min over the border I'm not allowed back... Thanks.
all of you guys are certianly welcome. infact, i always help anyone out who asks me whats going on...

I think i was venting.

my comments are mostly geared to the guys who set up shop in a prime spot and start chunking and crack open a six pack, then leave thier cans behind. The guys who are not really that intune with surfcasting and just wnat to go out fishing for a night. they have their benny's rod and thier white ankleboots... The guys who go clog up the tip of a breachway in sneakers and 8 foot ugly sticks with reels that buckle under a 9 lb schoolie.....
I dont mean to judge, but these are the guys who get places shut down... the guys bringing in beer, bait, sandwiches, lanterns, stereos...

but as kippy said, i am pretty grumpy lately. theres just too many people fishing now i guess.. I can no longer go down to a few of my favorite spots and enjoy the solitude.......

Rattboy- yoru welcome anytime, you know that

All of you guys are upstanding knowegable surfcasers and i would happily fish with any of you any day. well, maybe not all of you

did i say i was venting????
Old 10-06-2005, 08:02 PM   #18
TheRattBoy
surfcasting is NOT a crime

Unhappy

"Once the guy who asks gets out there, he'll see like the rest of us do"

Man, now you can't even ask about water conditions without people getting pissy...Some people aren't lucky enough to live 10 minutes or even an hour from the water and with the price at the pumps who wants the blow $ just to find beaches munged up?

TheRattBoy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2005, 08:26 PM   #19
tattoobob
Soggy Bottom Boy

when I get home monday night I will give a full mung report

Don't judge me Monkey

Old 10-06-2005, 08:52 PM   #20
Slipknot
Super Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheRattBoy
"Once the guy who asks gets out there, he'll see like the rest of us do"

Man, now you can't even ask about water conditions without people getting pissy...Some people aren't lucky enough to live 10 minutes or even an hour from the water and with the price at the pumps who wants the blow $ just to find beaches munged up?

Johnny, read his post. He will be there for a week starting this weekend. It's not like he's thinking of going but won't go if the beaches have mung. And besides, the mung changes day to day, you should know that since you were just out there last week. Was I getting pissy? I feel for you guys that travel great distances, I put gas in my truck also at 3 bucks a gallon.
I don't like finding them munged up any more than the next guy.

The mung stretches from Chatham to Provincetown, how's that for a report?
why do you think I go to the ditch lately

People can ask any question they want to, doesn't mean they'll get the answer they want to.

Old 10-06-2005, 09:11 PM   #21
NIB

I love Mung.I wanna roll around naked in the mung.I wanna a mung wig.Mung Fig Leaf an Mung an eggs for breakfast.
Of course not the fig leaf mung an eggs.
NIB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2005, 09:16 PM   #22
Karl F

Cool Mung Reports

Johnny, I gotta tell ya... In a nutshell....

Mung moves, kinda like fish have tails.

Any given location, from Wood End, to Woods Hole,(well, more like Monomy, but they both had wood in them ) has both, (mung & fish) at any given time... I can drive to the closest beach near me, down here, and find a stretch of mung so thick and disgusting, that all ya wanna do is puke.

Now, instead of being disgusted and going home, flip a coin, heads, go left, tails go right, out of the lot, chances are you go one or two towns north, or south,,, bingo.... No Mung !, maybe you've never fished that location, and it's now your new "spot"... or, because this is a 50/50 chance, it's loaded to the scuppers with mung... if so, move on young man, hit another locale.... same with fish, it's all "Run & Gun" nowadays.. No Guarantees, there will be fish, or mung, or lack thereof.

Then again, I can drive back to a locale that had mung at say noon... go back at 8PM... WTF.. no mung... take note, was there a wind change?, obviously a tide change... change in wave action?, I know I don't have to tell you, you've been around, it's like chasing fish or bait, ya gotta watch the variables, they apply to that weedy chit too...

I'd love to have a crystal ball for ya, but I can't, love to save ya that 30-40 bucks in gas..
You could ask : "Any Mung right now?"... I could drive down, look, come back and say "All Clear"... by the time you got here, it would probably be thicker than snot, and you'd think I was a lyin' sumbitch...(I know, ya probably already do )
see what I'm trying to say?

Same with fish reports.. they could be killing large at "X" right now.. tomorrow night, only large, is the skunk...........
Old 10-06-2005, 09:18 PM   #23
Karl F

Talking

Quote:
Originally Posted by NIB
I love Mung.I wanna roll around naked in the mung.I wanna a mung wig.Mung Fig Leaf an Mung an eggs for breakfast.
Of course not the fig leaf mung an eggs.
NIB.. ya killin me... man, what a visual I just got....
now.. thats just scary
Old 10-06-2005, 09:26 PM   #24
Slipknot
Super Moderator

NIB, drive up the 6 hours right now and I'll have that mung breakfast waiting for ya all warmed up and a pot of coffee on for ya then we can go jig

Old 10-06-2005, 09:27 PM   #25
CapeDawg

The only way to possibly get an on the spot mung report would be to take your laptop to the beach and report hour to hour.

Last weekend the mung stayed in with the low tide and went out with the high tide. Usually opposite.

It's not predictable when it's there and when it won't be. All you can do is take the chance, go and hope it's fishable. Just go knowing that there's a good chance it'll be mungy. But you can always find water you can fish, sometimes it takes a little looking.
CapeDawg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2005, 10:33 PM   #26
gone fishin

No munnnng at PI t'day just FISH !! Maybe I can draw an XX to show you where to stand and another to show you where to cast! He HE > < MUNG

low & slow 37
gone fishin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2005, 10:07 AM   #27
bassmaster
Dave's Guide Service

u owe me 19 bucks
Attached Images
File Type: jpg mungy.jpg (48.4 KB, 84 views)

Pro Tool Club....
bassmaster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2005, 10:24 AM   #28
Johnny C

Please may I fish your state.

There, that was nice right? I travel form Beantown to East Beach to the Inlaws house as much as possible from 9/1 to november. Have done it for the past few years. I keep a 6er in a cooler in the trunk and have a beer when taking off the waders, I also smoke butts, a doobie every once in a while, and generally really enjoy myself. I also take out other peoples trash, and try not to piss anyone off. I do however ask other guys I see "hey hows the action" I also say "hello" or "how are you" sorry if this is an issue for you.
But I have never asked RI guys permission to do this. So here it is. Thanks very much in advance.
If you would like to rumble lets meet in the parking lot at the breachway.....
See you tonight.
Johnny C is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2005, 11:49 AM   #29
Elmo

Hey wait a minute, I wear the white boots! I wear them because the soles don't leave scuff marks when boat fishing! Ofcourse it is true that I would just be considered a novice surf/plug fisherman.

On another note, when fishing the canal early am this week, myself and a SB member witnessed quite a bit of trash left by a big group of night fisherman who were still there when we arrived but left soon afterwards. These were not newbies, novice fishermen, or anybody with equiptment from benny's. These were the guys that keep tackle shops in business.

Please don't take this the wrong way, I am not trying to suggest that this is the mo of
most fishermen. I just think that too often posts on this site point to newbie fishermen, (a place we have all been at one time), for all the problems associated with fishing. I don't believe that respect for others, the environment, etc.... has anything to do with fishing, it is an attitude/disposition we either choose to apply or not.
Elmo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2005, 12:01 PM   #30
lurch
You rang?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Karl F
Johnny, I gotta tell ya... In a nutshell....

Mung moves, kinda like fish have tails.

Any given location, from Wood End, to Woods Hole,(well, more like Monomy, but they both had wood in them ) has both, (mung & fish) at any given time... I can drive to the closest beach near me, down here, and find a stretch of mung so thick and disgusting, that all ya wanna do is puke.

Now, instead of being disgusted and going home, flip a coin, heads, go left, tails go right, out of the lot, chances are you go one or two towns north, or south,,, bingo.... No Mung !, maybe you've never fished that location, and it's now your new "spot"... or, because this is a 50/50 chance, it's loaded to the scuppers with mung... if so, move on young man, hit another locale.... same with fish, it's all "Run & Gun" nowadays.. No Guarantees, there will be fish, or mung, or lack thereof.

Then again, I can drive back to a locale that had mung at say noon... go back at 8PM... WTF.. no mung... take note, was there a wind change?, obviously a tide change... change in wave action?, I know I don't have to tell you, you've been around, it's like chasing fish or bait, ya gotta watch the variables, they apply to that weedy chit too...

I'd love to have a crystal ball for ya, but I can't, love to save ya that 30-40 bucks in gas..
You could ask : "Any Mung right now?"... I could drive down, look, come back and say "All Clear"... by the time you got here, it would probably be thicker than snot, and you'd think I was a lyin' sumbitch...(I know, ya probably already do )
see what I'm trying to say?

Same with fish reports.. they could be killing large at "X" right now.. tomorrow night, only large, is the skunk...........

Great post and it is true! Went to a "spot" at noon with no $hit and came back at night with the place so bad the "fish catching device" (dont want to be too specific) came back dry!
lurch is offline   Reply With Quote