Striper Talk Striped Bass Fishing, Surfcasting, Boating

Left Nav S-B Home Register FAQ Members List S-B on Facebook Arcade WEAX Tides Buoys Calendar Today's Posts Right Nav

Left Container Right Container

Go Back   Striper Talk Striped Bass Fishing, Surfcasting, Boating » Striper Chat - Discuss stuff other than fishing ~ The Scuppers and Political talk » Political Threads

Political Threads This section is for Political Threads - Enter at your own risk. If you say you don't want to see what someone posts - don't read it :hihi:

Old 11-27-2009, 09:08 PM   #1
nightfighter
Seldom Seen

WTF

SEALs accused of assaulting alleged terrorist - Navy News, news from Iraq - Navy Times

Last I heard, we were in a war against terrorism... How can we ask Americans to be deployed to war, and then trump up chit like this? PC needs to die.

“Americans have the right and advantage of being armed, unlike the people of other countries, whose leaders are afraid to trust them with arms.” – James Madison.
Old 11-27-2009, 09:30 PM   #2
Fly Rod

I was a very gung-ho Marine in Nam.

Today I would not want a family member of mine to go in the service without a lawyer. Matter of fact I would not allow a family member to join.
Old 11-27-2009, 09:35 PM   #3
justplugit
Registered Grandpa

Why didn't they follow the new cookies and milk interrogation method?

" Choose Life "
Old 11-27-2009, 09:38 PM   #4
nightfighter
Seldom Seen

Flyrod,
Be sure to read the book, "Lone Survivor" about the dilemmas facing a Seal team in the battle of Afghanistan. Forced to make a choice, in combat, to avoid scrutiny from the PC group, that ultimately cost all but one of their lives.....

“Americans have the right and advantage of being armed, unlike the people of other countries, whose leaders are afraid to trust them with arms.” – James Madison.
Old 11-27-2009, 10:52 PM   #5
Fly Rod

I had watched a program that this person was on. i do belive that it was afganistans that also saved him.
Old 11-28-2009, 09:09 PM   #6
JohnR
Certifiable Intertidal Anguiologist

Lawfare - only worse now.

~Fix the Bait~ ~Pogies Forever~

Striped Bass Fishing - All Stripers

Kobayashi Maru Election - there is no way to win.

Apocalypse is Coming:
Old 11-28-2009, 09:11 PM   #7
Raven

Question

so what do we have to do now

to be politically correct .......

walk up and slap them across the face with a white glove?
Old 11-28-2009, 09:43 PM   #8
Slipknot
Super Moderator

unbelievable

wusification of america right there boys and girls

when he complained they should have just gave the terrorist a band aid and told him to stop whining
gimme a break
Old 11-28-2009, 10:00 PM   #9
buckman

Obama should have stood up for these guys. Another indication of the feelings
for the military from within the current administration
Old 11-28-2009, 10:20 PM   #10
JohnnyD

Quote:
Originally Posted by buckman View Post
Obama should have stood up for these guys. Another indication of the feelings
for the military from within the current administration
I knew someone would immediately stoop to this.
Old 11-29-2009, 09:11 AM   #11
spence

Quote:
Originally Posted by nightfighter View Post
PC needs to die.
I don't think it's all just as simple as blaming political correctness. Our servicemen and women are governed under laws after all. Additionally there have been real cases of abuse over the years, and if we're going to stay true to our ideals, these cases should be dealt with appropriately. If they never bring charges for this kind of stuff, we loose face to the same Iraqi people we're trying to engage with.

What's odd in this case though is that the abuse appears to be so minor. One punch doesn't seem like it would even register, and we haven't heard of any pattern of behavior. Doesn't seem as much PC as simply a system that's not aligned with the current mission.

What the military should do is find a better way to deal with these cases where the troops are doing their job and believe they're doing it in good faith.

I still think this is going nowhere.

-spence
Old 11-29-2009, 09:27 AM   #12
Fly Rod

This guy from Mass. Mike Capuano that is running for the senate will be another black mark aganist our men and women in uniform if he wins a seat. Back a couple of years ago John Murtha accused Marines of false atrocities by the enemy. We had better start thinking who is the enemy of our brave military men and women, looks like some of the enemy is sitting in the house of congress and the senate.
Old 11-29-2009, 09:43 AM   #13
spence

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fly Rod View Post
This guy from Mass. Mike Capuano that is running for the senate will be another black mark aganist our men and women in uniform if he wins a seat. Back a couple of years ago John Murtha accused Marines of false atrocities by the enemy. We had better start thinking who is the enemy of our brave military men and women, looks like some of the enemy is sitting in the house of congress and the senate.
So now you're calling a fellow US Marine the enemy?

Talk about the pot calling the kettle black...

-spence
Old 11-29-2009, 12:19 PM   #14
buckman

Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnnyD View Post
I knew someone would immediately stoop to this.
Truth hurts doesn't it JD. As Spence states, strange for such a minor infraction. I guess your ok with it. I just don't get you. Your all over the map.
Old 11-29-2009, 12:24 PM   #15
spence

Quote:
Truth hurts doesn't it JD. As Spence states, strange for such a minor infraction. I guess your ok with it. I just don't get you. Your all over the map.
Your statement about Obama was in the past tense.

-spence
Old 11-29-2009, 12:57 PM   #16
Fly Rod

Quote:
Originally Posted by spence View Post
So now you're calling a fellow US Marine the enemy?

Talk about the pot calling the kettle black...

-spence
Murtha is no F@#$marine, he's
I would think that fellow Marines have disowned him.
Old 11-29-2009, 02:24 PM   #17
JohnnyD

Quote:
Doesn't hurt at all. As of the above mention of the incident, no one really knows anything about the incident.

The pathetic part, is your immediate inclination to jump on Obama for not defending the soldiers when there might be a possibility that the soldiers were out of line will military processes for handling detainees.

I still think the situation is a joke and shouldn't be news. Even if the soldier did give the guy a knock to the face, it should be met with nothing more than a slap on the wrist.

Obama standing up for wrongdoing would only demonstrate that the US condones the behavior - oh right, they do it so why can't we, no? It's attitudes like that which contribute to the drowning of morals for which this country is suppose to stand for.
Old 11-29-2009, 03:44 PM   #18
buckman

These guys won't get anything from Obama..Not even the benifit of the doubt. Something you and other are so inclined to give our President.
I'm sick of all the fuss over what our image is all over the world. If you want us to act like the French then just say so. Our guys are trained killers. They are not beat cops that should have to worry about what some lawyer says. We are at WAR!!!!!!

Quote:
Doesn't hurt at all. As of the above mention of the incident, no one really knows anything about the incident.

The pathetic part, is your immediate inclination to jump on Obama for not defending the soldiers when there might be a possibility that the soldiers were out of line will military processes for handling detainees.

I still think the situation is a joke and shouldn't be news. Even if the soldier did give the guy a knock to the face, it should be met with nothing more than a slap on the wrist.

Obama standing up for wrongdoing would only demonstrate that the US condones the behavior - oh right, they do it so why can't we, no? It's attitudes like that which contribute to the drowning of morals for which this country is suppose to stand for.
Old 11-29-2009, 04:01 PM   #19
justplugit
Registered Grandpa

Quote:
We are at WAR!!!!!!
Be careful Buckman, it's not a war, but an " Overseas Contingency Operation."

Just like the Korean War, wasn't a war but a "Police Action."

" Choose Life "
Old 11-29-2009, 04:16 PM   #20
JohnnyD

Quote:
These guys won't get anything from Obama..Not even the benifit of the doubt. Something you and other are so inclined to give our President.
I'm sick of all the fuss over what our image is all over the world. If you want us to act like the French then just say so. Our guys are trained killers. They are not beat cops that should have to worry about what some lawyer says. We are at WAR!!!!!!
I think the lack of comment is the benefit of the doubt. For a president that has been so eager to please foreign nations with quick apologies, if the soldiers "won't get anything from Obama", he would have apologized by now.

The difference between you and I when it comes to Obama is that you'd criticize the way the man sh!ts given the chance. My friends have heard me be quite critical of him and many of his actions. On the other hand, I'm not going to twist every single situation into somehow being his fault, as you've done with this topic. Yeah, you've got a grudge with him, but at least pick battles that actually have some significance - otherwise, your opinion will just fade into the noise like those of detbuch, Limbaugh, Beck, Olberman and others.

You might be sick of it. However, the last President's agenda has thrust us into a political situation that *requires* we work with other countries. This isn't the 1700s where every developed country looked out solely for its own interests and didn't need the help of other nations. We're into a global economy now.

You're last two sentences justify the oppositions treatment of US prisoners. Since the opposition is at war with us, they shouldn't have to worry about what lawyers say, and as such, there shouldn't be issue with them torturing prisoners, no?

Strange thing about the difference between us and them. We're better than they are - especially morally. Being morally superior to them is exactly why our soldiers should be expected to conduct themselves within the military's Code of Conduct regarding Enemy Prisoners of War.
Old 11-30-2009, 06:41 AM   #21
buckman

Quote:
You're last two sentences justify the oppositions treatment of US prisoners. Since the opposition is at war with us, they shouldn't have to worry about what lawyers say, and as such, there shouldn't be issue with them torturing prisoners, no?

Strange thing about the difference between us and them. We're better than they are - especially morally. Being morally superior to them is exactly why our soldiers should be expected to conduct themselves within the military's Code of Conduct regarding Enemy Prisoners of War.
They behead people they capture and film it and laugh when people like you win the opinion battle.
The only thing they understand is a slap in the face. We didn't fight this way in WW1 or WW2. The only wars where our men and women had stupid political correct restrictions put on them, we lost thousands and in the end did not win the war.
Old 11-30-2009, 11:33 AM   #22
JohnnyD

Quote:
They behead people they capture and film it and laugh when people like you win the opinion battle.
The only thing they understand is a slap in the face. We didn't fight this way in WW1 or WW2. The only wars where our men and women had stupid political correct restrictions put on them, we lost thousands and in the end did not win the war.
Yeah, political correctness is the reason thousands died in wars like Vietnam.

I like how "political correctness" is the buzz word for you guys the past couple weeks to explain why everything is wrong. This month, all political issues are due to Political Correctness. Next month it'll be something else. A year ago, you probably had a completely different reason for why Vietnam was a disaster (reasons that are of course the sole fault of the Democratic party as a whole).
Old 11-30-2009, 12:41 PM   #23
buckman

Quote:
Yeah, political correctness is the reason thousands died in wars like Vietnam.

I like how "political correctness" is the buzz word for you guys the past couple weeks to explain why everything is wrong. This month, all political issues are due to Political Correctness. Next month it'll be something else. A year ago, you probably had a completely different reason for why Vietnam was a disaster (reasons that are of course the sole fault of the Democratic party as a whole).
Yes politicians and restrictions on they way we were able to fight the enemy( see John Kerry) cost alot of lives. I do believe that the PC movement has run amuck. You know what I mean JD and one of you agrees with me. Let the other JD type
Old 11-30-2009, 01:34 PM   #24
detbuch

Quote:
- otherwise, your opinion will just fade into the noise like those of detbuch, Limbaugh, Beck, Olberman and others.

Quite a quadumvirate!!: detbuch, Limbaugh, Beck, Olberman . . . and even others. I wish my opinions garnererd as much money as those of the other three. But, I'll settle for the recognition. All three, by the way, are far more successful at spreading their opions than you. And their "noise" is not quieted by yours.
Old 11-30-2009, 02:13 PM   #25
JohnnyD

Quote:
Originally Posted by detbuch View Post
And their "noise" is not quieted by yours.
Not quieted, just ignored.
Old 11-30-2009, 02:20 PM   #26
detbuch

Quote:
Not quieted, just ignored.
It is amazing how often you refer to something you ignore.
Old 11-30-2009, 05:28 PM   #27
spence

The funny thing about PC, is that where you sit on the spectrum tends to completely influence how you perceive the equation. Those on the Right only see the negatives, while those on the left only see the positives.

The reality is that PC is both good and bad. To say it's evil is silly, anything in the wrong amount can kill you.

-spence
Old 11-30-2009, 07:16 PM   #28
detbuch

Quote:
Originally Posted by spence View Post
The funny thing about PC, is that where you sit on the spectrum tends to completely influence how you perceive the equation. Those on the Right only see the negatives, while those on the left only see the positives.

The reality is that PC is both good and bad. To say it's evil is silly, anything in the wrong amount can kill you.

-spence
So then, all we have to do is wait for those on the Right and left to die off from the wrong amount of PC.