Striper Talk Striped Bass Fishing, Surfcasting, Boating

Left Nav S-B Home Register FAQ Members List S-B on Facebook Arcade WEAX Tides Buoys Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Right Nav

Left Container Right Container

Go Back   Striper Talk Striped Bass Fishing, Surfcasting, Boating » Striper Chat - Discuss stuff other than fishing ~ The Scuppers and Political talk » Political Threads

Political Threads This section is for Political Threads - Enter at your own risk. If you say you don't want to see what someone posts - don't read it :hihi:

Old 09-06-2018, 09:14 AM   #61
JohnR
Certifiable Intertidal Anguiologist

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nebe View Post
I think you are failing to grasp that the protests are not so much about the nominee but for the railroading to nominate him, the block in of records and the joke of the question and answer process in th confirmation process.
Posted from my iPhone/Mobile device
I think the Protesters are failing to grasp that they look silly, and generally do more harm than good, particularly when they decry there is no decorum and then they go and decorum.

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Dad Fisherman View Post
That may be true of the democrats seated for the hearing, but those in the gallery are protesting the nominee. And some of those are actually protesting the guy who nominated him, and the nominee is just collateral damage.
^^^^ It really doesn't matter who was there and who recommended the appointment. The protest would happen regardless

Quote:
Originally Posted by scottw View Post
being questioned by Blumenthal & Co. is like having Satan judge you and your character...
Nahh, more like the Trust Me Joe Isuzu guy

~Fix the Bait~ ~Pogies Forever~

Striped Bass Fishing - All Stripers

Kobayashi Maru Election - there is no way to win.

Apocalypse is Coming:
Old 09-06-2018, 09:44 AM   #62
scottw

Quote:
being questioned by Blumenthal & Co. is like having Satan judge you and your character...

Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnR View Post

that guy just wants to hock cars...these people want to eat your soul

Last edited by scottw; 09-06-2018 at 09:50 AM..
Old 09-06-2018, 10:03 AM   #63
Jim in CT

Quote:
Trump is not Kavanaugh's would be boss. If I was going to Congress for something as rare and fantastic as that I would bring my kid too.

But maybe we need to look at it now as the default state of Dems is protesting.

As bad as Trump has been at many things (and it is bad) I don't really believe that if anyone else had been there the protests would be the same. They would protest Romney if hew was Pres.

Any kids, regardless of their parent's political leaning should be safe in those halls
"If I was going to Congress for something as rare and fantastic as that I would bring my kid too."

Who wouldn't?

"the default state of Dems is protesting."

Unless they get exactly what they want.

"They would protest Romney if hew was Pres."

There would certainly be some protests. But this is a perfect storm for them. The GOP denied Obama's pick a hearing, Trump is especially despised, and Kavanaugh's selection (unlike Gorsuch) is likely to cause a meaningful shift in the makeup of the court. In all honesty, I'd be furious if I was a liberal. I wouldn't be throwing a temper tantrum in public, but I'd be extremely concerned.
Old 09-06-2018, 10:05 AM   #64
Jim in CT

Quote:
Originally Posted by PaulS View Post
Aren't you the one who constantly compares something Clinton or Obama said once to what Trump says hundreds of times as if they are the same yet this is somehow different?
No, I am the one who constantly says that Trump is unique in terms of how crass and vindictive he is.
Old 09-06-2018, 10:06 AM   #65
Jim in CT

Quote:
I think the Protesters are failing to grasp that they look silly, and generally do more harm than good, particularly when they decry there is no decorum and then they go and decorum.

^^^^ It really doesn't matter who was there and who recommended the appointment. The protest would happen regardless

"I think the Protesters are failing to grasp that they look silly"

Because on their side, they look heroic, not silly. A Hollywood actress got arrested, she was talking publicly about how proud she was. No shame at all.
Old 09-06-2018, 10:12 AM   #66
PaulS

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim in CT View Post
"I think the Protesters are failing to grasp that they look silly"

Because on their side, they look heroic, not silly. A Hollywood actress got arrested, she was talking publicly about how proud she was. No shame at all.
"their" side - which I assume you mean Dems. doesn't feel that way.

I heard Sheldon Whitehouse yesterday say it hurts things when they do these type of protests.

Last edited by PaulS; 09-06-2018 at 10:26 AM..
Old 09-06-2018, 10:20 AM   #67
Jim in CT

Quote:
"their" side - which I assume you mean Dems. doesn't feel that way.

I heard Sheldon Whitehouse yesterdsay say it hurts things when they do these type of protests.
I'm sorry Paul. I didn't mean to imply, that literally zero liberals, are opposed to the nature of these protests. I freely concede that some democrats are opposed to this behavior. But it's not many. This behavior is considered much more tolerable on the left than on the right.

Can you answer a question? How many times do I have to explicitly say, that when I refer to these generalities, I'm not saying it applies to 100% of the group I'm referring to? How many times are you going to bring this up?
Old 09-06-2018, 05:44 PM   #68
scottw

best headline of the day...

Senate Democrats Prove They’re Unfit to Govern
September 6, 2018, 12:05 am
Kavanaugh hearings reveal why their symbol is the jackass.
Old 09-06-2018, 05:59 PM   #69
Nebe

Quote:

If this is where you get your news it explains everything
Old 09-06-2018, 06:02 PM   #70
scottw

Quote:
If this is where you get your news it explains everything
I only read the headline...like a Pete post
Old 09-06-2018, 09:14 PM   #71
spence

Quote:

If the job of the Senate is to advise and consent, and Republicans are obstructing that process...who’s unfit to govern?

Could say the same thing about the house times ten.
Old 09-07-2018, 04:32 AM   #72
scottw

Quote:
Originally Posted by spence View Post
If the job of the Senate is to advise and consent,
the democrat senators acting like whiny children and the lunatics that they signed passes for so that they could disrupt the process are doing neither

more than 200 arrests so far...this is great...lock em' up
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	208916_5_.jpg
Views:	297
Size:	88.2 KB
ID:	65550  

Last edited by scottw; 09-07-2018 at 04:51 AM..
Old 09-07-2018, 06:32 AM   #73
Jim in CT

Quote:
the democrat senators acting like whiny children and the lunatics that they signed passes for so that they could disrupt the process are doing neither

more than 200 arrests so far...this is great...lock em' up
Is their protest working? Has Trump rescinded Kavanaugh's nomination, and nominated Barbara Streisand instead?

What is the significance of these people dressing like female firemen from Little House on The Prairie? Can someone explain that, I assume there's some reference to a movie, and they're implying that Kavanaugh hates women?
Old 09-07-2018, 06:34 AM   #74
scottw

democrat senators who have declared publicly that the will not vote to confirm Kavanaugh under any circumstances are demanding more information
Old 09-07-2018, 06:54 AM   #75
Jim in CT

Quote:
democrat senators who have declared publicly that the will not vote to confirm Kavanaugh under any circumstances are demanding more information
That's a very interesting way of putting it. They've already decided that there's zero chance they'll support him.

Then Corey Booker had a "Rachael Maddow has the tax returns!" moment of voluntarily hitting himself in the face with a pie, by heroically revealing emails which had already been released, revealing that Kavanaugh was opposed to racial profiling. I can only assume, since Booker adamantly insisted that the emails showed Kavanaugh to actually be a racist, that Booker is so dumb, that he doesn't know what the word "neutral" means. Kavanaugh repeatedly called for race-neutral methods of enforcing law.

The fiend! He MUST be stopped! First he bought baseball tickets on his credit card, THEN he paid off his credit card debt, THEN we find out he's opposed to racial profiling???!!!

Do the liberals hear themselves? In all seriousness, can they not hear and see themselves? Kagan got confirmed without this nonsense, Sotomayor (who, unlike Kavanaugh, actually is a racist) got confirmed without this nonsense, even Gorsuch got confirmed without this nonsense. Kavanaugh is going to get confirmed. Deal with it, and figure out a way to re-take the Senate and the Oval Office. when that happens, watch how the GOP reacts to your SCOTUS nominees, and learn some lessons in civility.
Old 09-07-2018, 06:57 AM   #76
Nebe

Why should they support him? From what so have read, he has ruled in favor of corperate interests over the common man just about every time. It’s no surprise to me though.
Old 09-07-2018, 07:05 AM   #77
Nebe

I also read that he purgured himself in front of the senate a few years back so as soon as the Dems take back the house they could just impeach him on that count.
Old 09-07-2018, 07:25 AM   #78
Jim in CT

Quote:
Why should they support him? From what so have read, he has ruled in favor of corperate interests over the common man just about every time. It’s no surprise to me though.
no one is saying they should support him. what i’m saying, is that you can choose
not to support him, without coming unglued. you can do it calmly and reapectfully, you don’t have to foam at the mouth and howl at the moon. you don’t even have to call him a racist, even though liberals play that card constantly. but they don’t have to. do you agree or disagree?
Old 09-07-2018, 07:28 AM   #79
Nebe

Quote:
no one is saying they should support him. what i’m saying, is that you can choose
not to support him, without coming unglued. you can do it calmly and reapectfully, you don’t have to foam at the mouth and howl at the moon. you don’t even have to call him a racist, even though liberals play that card constantly. but they don’t have to. do you agree or disagree?
When someone ignores you, don’t you speak louder to be heard? If you are still ignored , wouldn’t you yell? I would.
Old 09-07-2018, 07:28 AM   #80
scottw

Quote:

From what so have read,

yeah....well,,,,we know where you get your news from
Old 09-07-2018, 07:29 AM   #81
scottw

Quote:
When someone ignores you, don’t you speak louder to be heard? If you are still ignored , wouldn’t you yell? I would.
ummmm...dems are the party of civility and love...supposedly
Old 09-07-2018, 07:39 AM   #82
Nebe

Quote:
ummmm...dems are the party of civility and love...supposedly
I’ll take that over greed and hate any day.
Old 09-07-2018, 08:00 AM   #83
JohnR
Certifiable Intertidal Anguiologist

Quote:

Source, Spence.

Quote:
I also read that he purgured himself in front of the senate a few years back so as soon as the Dems take back the house they could just impeach him on that count.
Spence, what is your source?

~Fix the Bait~ ~Pogies Forever~

Striped Bass Fishing - All Stripers

Kobayashi Maru Election - there is no way to win.

Apocalypse is Coming:
Old 09-07-2018, 08:05 AM   #84
Jim in CT

Quote:
Who is ignoring the left? I see Kavanaugh trying to answer every question that is asked.

No one is ignoring liberals, they are just choosing not to vote for you. That will likely change in a few weeks.

Just because democrats are in a major slump, doesn't mean they are being ignored. It means people are listening, they just don't like what they are hearing.
Old 09-07-2018, 08:08 AM   #85
Nebe

I don’t think you grasp the situation in these hearings. Brett K could say he eats baby fetus and he would still be confirmed. Massive amounts of documents showing his past rulings have been bared from being used. You think that’s right? I don’t. And I’d yell like mad.
Old 09-07-2018, 08:10 AM   #86
Jim in CT

Quote:
I’ll take that over greed and hate any day.
Show me any evidence, that the GOP is greedier or more hateful? Something more than Trump, I mean. I look at what the liberals have done to people who live in the cities of CT (Hartford, New Haven), and I say, "these people deserve better, we need to do something drastically different". Liberals say, "we need to do more of the same".

You tell me, which is more compassionate? I'm all ears.

Start listening to what people like me are actually saying, rather than letting MSNBC tell you what we are saying. You'll see a big difference between the two.
Old 09-07-2018, 08:14 AM   #87
Jim in CT

Quote:
I don’t think you grasp the situation in these hearings. Brett K could say he eats baby fetus and he would still be confirmed. Massive amounts of documents showing his past rulings have been bared from being used. You think that’s right? I don’t. And I’d yell like mad.
No, he wouldn't. But you can't derail a nomination because he's conservative and because Trump picked him. You need more than that.

Ask him questions about every ruling he has ever written, give him a chance to explain. That's what the hearings are supposed to be. Not having maniacs in the gallery getting arrested by the hundreds, not having woman dressed in red potato sacks for reasons I still don't understand, not shouting him down, and not Corey Booker grandstanding because he wants to make a run in 2020. Stop calling yourself Spartacus for releasing emails that were already published, that isn't all that heroic.
Old 09-07-2018, 09:55 AM   #88
PaulS

Quote:
No, he wouldn't. But you can't derail a nomination because he's conservative and because Trump picked him. You need more than that.
How about finding emails that the Repubs. originally didn't want to release which directly contradict what he recently has been saying?

Or how about him not being on Trump's (the Fed. society) stated list of judges he would appt. then after the investigation begins his name now magically appears on the list and he moves to the top? Does his views on Pres. power, ect. have anything to do with that?

He will get confirmed regardless.
Old 09-07-2018, 11:27 AM   #89
Jim in CT

Quote:
How about finding emails that the Repubs. originally didn't want to release which directly contradict what he recently has been saying?

Or how about him not being on Trump's (the Fed. society) stated list of judges he would appt. then after the investigation begins his name now magically appears on the list and he moves to the top? Does his views on Pres. power, ect. have anything to do with that?

He will get confirmed regardless.
No, it doesn't have anything to do with that, and you and I both know that, and here's how we know it. People were literally opposed to the pick, even before Trump announced who it was.

The left knows that unlike the Gorsuch selection, this process will shift the court. They can't handle it. Sorry, elections have consequences. You all loved the first guy to say that.

Sen Grassley is saying that the documents were available online, and that none of the senate democrats bothered to look at them. I don't know who is lying on that. I know that Booker lied about "releasing" classified emails, and he lied about the emails showing Kavanaugh to be a racist. So I think I know who I will give the benefit of the doubt too. And I don't always give it to Republicans, but I know enough about Booker and Blumenthal.
Old 09-07-2018, 12:07 PM   #90
PaulS

Quote:
No, it doesn't have anything to do with that, and you and I both know that, and here's how we know it. People were literally opposed to the pick, even before Trump announced who it was.
No, it has everything to do with that - it looks like might have lied about his view on whether Roe v Wade is "settled law" or not and we don't know why he went from not being on the Federalist list to having Trump picking him.

Of course people were opposed to a pick from the other party. That has always been the way.