Striper Talk Striped Bass Fishing, Surfcasting, Boating

Left Nav S-B Home Register FAQ Members List S-B on Facebook Arcade WEAX Tides Buoys Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Right Nav

Left Container Right Container

Go Back   Striper Talk Striped Bass Fishing, Surfcasting, Boating » Main Forum » TUNA & Big Game

TUNA & Big Game TUNA - Offshore Fishing for Tuna and Other Big Game

Old 05-19-2009, 02:54 PM   #1
AT Grimaldi

MMSI, DSC and location awareness

Hello all.

I should be ready to start the hunt for tuna in early June.

I have two (2) Icom MC504 VHF radios. I have a MMSI number for the boat.

I have a Furuno MFD12 and two (2) Furuno GPS antennas. All are properly configured. I just have to plug in the MMSI number.

Has anyone used the MMSI number for send and receive coord with friendly ships and then plotted them to your GPS screen?

From what I understand, if you have my MMSI and I have your MMSI we can exchange position, with the click of a button and engage in (relatively) secure comms via VHF.

Do I have this correct?

Anyone want to start a SB MMSI pool? I will mostly be out of Narragansett bay, east of BI, and CCB. I am a newbie to this game, but share very accurate G2.

- ATG

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

AT Grimaldi

RISAA Member

Ron Arra Lami 1083 biggot!
Penn 4500 SS w/ 14# chart. FireLine

Ron Arra Lami 1083 custom
Abu Garcia C3 6500 Rocket

Hopelessly addicted custom wood addict. Working 2nd Step.
AT Grimaldi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2009, 03:53 PM   #2
fish4striper

Hi AT,

It works great. You need to put your friends numbers in the radio and the gps for them to show up. Are you trailering your boat or is it slipped?
fish4striper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2009, 04:24 PM   #3
AT Grimaldi

floating slipped

My boat is on a floating slip in EPVDS - bullocks cove.

- ATG

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

AT Grimaldi

RISAA Member

Ron Arra Lami 1083 biggot!
Penn 4500 SS w/ 14# chart. FireLine

Ron Arra Lami 1083 custom
Abu Garcia C3 6500 Rocket

Hopelessly addicted custom wood addict. Working 2nd Step.
AT Grimaldi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2009, 07:40 PM   #4
PRBuzz
BuzzLuck

Send a message via Skype™ to PRBuzz
I've got my DSC radio all setup and linked to my GPS for the distress sending of my coordinates over the DSC network in case of emergency. I haven't used in the station-to-station mode as I have no numbers to list. Mine is 338077114.

BTW: the CG Emergency DSC network should be activated in our area some time later 2009 from the posted schedule.
PRBuzz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2009, 07:42 PM   #5
saltyric

yeah, it works basically like you said. But it also depends on your system and how it is set up. Basically you have a "phonebook" of MMSI numbers in your vhf (that you entered in). You select "position request", then select a given number out of your list. depending on how the other boats system is set up, it will either automatically send the position data back OR the other boats vhf will BEEP with a message saying you are requesting there position......"yes" or "NO". Also depending on how your system is set up, this position data will then be plotted on your GPS. On my ray system, it asks if you want to "go to" their position or if you want to add a waypoint at their location. REALLY cool stuff when the bite is on......Another usefull feature is you can use the phonebook to call someone and request they switch to a certain channel, with out saying a word over the air........cool stuff. Good luck with it.

Fish Rule!
saltyric is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2009, 06:51 AM   #6
fish4striper

AT,

I launch out of Haines usually when i fish the bay. We could test it out sometime if you want.
fish4striper is offline   Reply With Quote